Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As one of the primary pushers of Big Finish in the other thread, I promise not to bring it over here. The two of you are doing a very fine job and I’m enjoying the hell out of your reviews. They’re incredibly honest and being written with effort and attention to detail, not just “gently caress it, put some words on the screen and call it a day.” I’m avoiding posting in this thread because you are getting some very knee-jerk reactions from me, but they’re honest reactions, but I’m definitely enjoying reading them!

However, should you find yourself interested in other avenues, let me tell you about the Brazzers Doctor…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

There is one sci-fi horror film that I think anyone who is critically minded would be insane to discount and disregard as mere genre fiction.

The original 1954 Japanese Godzilla.

It's got everything genre fiction needs, but is in arguably something more thanks to its subject matter and the way it presents itself.

So saying that no genre fiction can be more than just that is insane. You just have to care enough and have the right circumstances.

Could it be because the movie was a strong metaphor for Japanese feelings on nuclear weapons at the time? Instead of the genre elements BEING the story, the genre elements SUPPORTED the story?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

That's the key right there. However it doesn't change the fact that it has some balls out insane stuff going on- giant dinosaur, beam spewing, an oxygen destroyer?

It's an example of how genre fiction can break out of that bubble and become more, even to those who hate them. Because no one is going to say that it isn't a genre movie- it's just better made and has more effort put into it than most.

I wish more work would have that level of quality and thought brought into it honestly. But we are increasingly moving past the point where people try to apply any real depth to a work that isn't just surface detail.

I think this is why “genre” elements work better in a format like Doctor Who. You have 44 minutes to tell a story on television, so those elements are necessary to “tell don’t show,” and in essence either become part of the story or a glossed over portion of the story, like the Smiling/Scowling statutes in The Beast Below. Look cool, don’t really contribute much to the overall plot in that they could be replaced by a “thumbs up/thumbs down” without changing very much.

A movie, though…a writer has time to expand the “genre” elements, but also has time to actually tell the story. And given enough time, the story can overcome even the most silliest of elements. The original Godzilla was an hour and 38 minutes, and had the Oxygen Destroyer and an energy-breathing reptile. But the rest of the movie was strong enough that those elements either made sense in context or were just overlooked because the rest of the movie was JUST that strong.

That’s why “genre” TV only bothers me if its lazy or if it’s the ENTIRE foundation of the script. Just one episode of Special Victims Unit is enough to drive me up a wall with every single cliché thrown at the viewer, but something like Longmire holds my attention because at least it’s attempting to be a bit unique.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Finally, senpai will notice me when he's first against the wall!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Nintendo is a responsible company, they don't want to be responsible for the entire planet grinding to a halt and never starting back up again.

They did bring Tetris to the West.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Alien/Aliens comparison is definitely making me see both this two-parter and Blink in a whole new light. Great reviews, Toxx and Oxx!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

I've been telling him to steel himself for this since, like, Series 3. It's going to be a circus.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Moffat era begins, Broadchurch recaps...

This is where the Time War starts.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What's Monster Hunter? Is it a new version of Duck Hunt?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Please don't malign the good name of Duck Hunt and its excellent Smash Brothers team in this manner, CobiWann.

Ok, but I honestly have no clue what Monster Hunter is. The last console game I bought was The Last of Us and before that Dead Space 3, and we all know how THAT turned out.

(I refuse to count the countless LEGO movie games that have adorned my shelves since my stepdaughter moved in)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So it's an MMO without the name?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Lots of times people tell me I should try Monster Hunter and I don't have anything against the concept of endlessly making numbers go up, but I think I've unfortunately met my quota for games which devour enormous chunks of my time and soul. I already gave most of my soul to Nintendo, and the rest of it is sealed inside of a soul gem somewhere in Tamriel.

Right there with you. Thanks Sid Meier.

Then again, I'm not one to talk about throwing one's self into a hobby. Ten years of World of Warcraft AND I proudly own a copy of Warriors of the Deep.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Civ: Beyond Earth actually sucks really hard right now because it's a Firaxis release Civ game, so wait a year and for at least two expansions to come out when it finally becomes the game it's supposed to be

your welcome bicyclops/cobiwann

I don't what game you're talking about. Unless you mispelled Alpha Centauri?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wait, audios come up and the first person you think of is DoctorWhat?!?

I have failed this fandom.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

arrow reference acknowledged, but not really approved of.

May you find yourself stranded on a desert island with every lost episode of Doctor Who on VHS tape and a broken VCR.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Dear the coat please let doctorwhat go, you're not fooling anyone

Thank you for the idea for my next Unknown Armies game...

And yeah, the Cornetto Trilogy is loving amazing. I could watch any of them at any time and catch a joke or a cool directing/editing moment I previously missed, and Hot Fuzz is legitimately one of the best comedies ever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

armoredgorilla posted:

Ghostbusters is S-Tier.

Hot Fuzz and The World's End are A-Tier.

Shaun of the Dead is a solid B+ player.

Groundhog Day is the best movie about time travel ever.

Second best? Time After Time for DAVID loving WARNER.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

just fyi

this was the review i most enjoyed writing

With good reason! Rory is a great Companion, but I never could quite put my finger on why if asked other than "well, he's awesome." You nailed it by comparing him to Mickey, how the writers treat Mickey/Rory, and how the audience perceives Mickey/Rory, all wrapped up in a really fun episode. This is another of those "hey, if you have never seen Doctor Who before, this isn't a bad one to watch" episodes.

And now that you've seen both episodes, there's a little four-minute "minisode" that takes place between Flesh and Stone and Vampires of Venice that not only explains why Amy suddenly stopped trying to jump the Doctor's bones, but has an amazing line delivery from Matt Smith that nails just why the Doctor takes strangers onboard the TARDIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ4Ak2xCkw

Well worth watching if you've never seen it before, or even if you have seen it before.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Like, if you really ask the thread what we want...

"Ok, Oxx, this episode is called When Being You Just Isn't Enough, and we want your honest opinion..."

Whatever makes you happy, Oxx. I've enjoyed your reviews and prefer quality over speed!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I don’t care if the Doctor is played by a man or a woman.

I just don’t want the Irish. :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ewe2 posted:

Aw prairie poo poo...Everybody!

(it's ok CobiWann I got it if they didn't)

Yep.

But as I said in the other thread, man, woman, white, black, Indian, that doesn't matter to me, as long as it's someone from the Commonwealth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thexerox123 posted:

So you're saying it's time for a Canadian Doctor?
:canada:

Vancouver is the new Cardiff.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yeah, sorry man.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I might be doing something wrong, I used my PS4 to play Resident Evil Remake and Wild Arms this past weekend…

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So maybe this thread can explain Five Nights at Freddy's to me?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, ok, let's put a cork in the anime talk for the day. I think we're all approaching the limits of Annakie's patience.

So how's Monster Hunter coming?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is Legend of Korra anime? If so that's the only anime I've seen. Can we talk about that?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Blasmeister posted:

Three times now, in fact!

Great, the Master has caught us in a time loop.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Okay. Can we also chug something and slam the mug down?

Oh, is Tom Baker at the pub again?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DetoxP posted:

God, the old show had some terrible designs. The new ones mostly look consistently great in comparison.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Production of Warriors of the Deep was a...bit of a cock up.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I must be the only person in existence who HATED the scene with River and the Dalek.

That's a Dalek. They are the most evil beings in the universe. They hate EVERYTHING that isn't a Dalek. They have no emotions. All they want to do is kill, kill, kill. Mercy is not in their data banks

I like Alex Kingston, but I am annoyed by "know it all but won't tell you" characters. The trope rubs me the wrong way even when I love the actor/actress (see Elizabeth Mitchell's character in her first few episodes of Lost).

For everything awesome River did, there was something else that Moffat did that made me say "yes, yes, River is the best, can we please move on?" Getting a drat Dalek to ask for mercy firmly shoved her, for me, into "Mary Sue" territory and for the rest of her run on the show, I cringed when she showed.

I mean, even when Ace managed to hurt a Dalek with a baseball bat, it kept shooting at her, not pleading for her to stop.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ahhh, Oxxidation, stop with the thrusting, STOP WITH THE THRUSTING!

We've seen the Doctor, time and time again, stop the Daleks to the point that his nicknames during the Time War were "The Oncoming Storm" and "The Predator." He's the one being who has earned the Daleks' fear.

River? We haven't seen her do anything to the Daleks, or anywhere, to earn that fear. If anything, the Dalek should have mocked her and shot at her as a nuscience. The writing just doesn't back up the scene.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

I know the feeling.

Shut up and drink your carrot juice. You obviously need better eyesight with your fashion sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'll admit it. I didn't see the Muppet version until this past Christmas...and I didn't care for it. At all. It didn't click one whit with me.

It was a musical though, and that might be why I'm biased.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

You like the Princess Bride though, right? :ohdear:

RIGHT!?! :toughguy:

You have no idea how many times I've seen it with the kiddo. No idea. Longer than you think, J-Ru, longer than you think.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

Also Scrooge's performance in the Muppet Special was wooden and uninteresting

My man.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just imagine looking back on this conversation in 20 years...or someone from 20 years ago seeing this conversation.

(American hasn't had a good President since Eisenhower)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

David D. Davidson posted:

I'd love to see an episode of Doctor Who with Theodore Roosevelt in it.

Bah, the Third Doctor took him to Gallifrey for Time Lord training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Luckily, Big Finish is releasing a story in late 2015 that gives Six a proper send-off...

As for this episode, this was the ultimate "turn off your brain and just enjoy it" story for me. I love the romanticized idea of pirates and ghost stories about the sea, so it was ticking all my mental checkboxes to the point where I easily and willingly overlooked its flaws, much like I did with the Ten/Martha story 42.

And I refuse to dislike any story that gives us THIS shot.

(I tried to find a gif of Amy swordfighting, but my work connection is subpar at best)

• Locked thread