Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Toxxupation posted:

I also agree, grades are generally stupid things and trying to determine what grade I'll give to stuff is one of the most difficult and irritating parts of my reviews, but I think it accomplishes 3 important things:

1) it leads to stuff like the conversation I had with oxx which was possibly the single most satisfying discussion I've had about doctor who

2) it allows me to quantify my thoughts in a way that's concise, which as you can see from my last two reviews is a weakness of mine

3) it allows me to separate whether or not an episode is GOOD from whether or not I ENJOY IT, like if you read my blink review and my utopia review back to back you'd think I gave a higher grade to the latter than the former, or I think the latter is a better episode because I enjoyed it more when the opposite was the case

I feel like the third point is the most important reason why grades are important even if they're often super dumb

I feel the same way about scores for video game reviews. Putting an X/10 to quantify your opinion is fine, but it's been twisted to the point where that's the only thing people give a poo poo about now. As opposed to the actual words that the person wrote about the thing. To this thread's credit, there's nobody like that in here yet. No people yelling bloody murder about Love And Monsters getting an A.

Also I had the Master reveal spoiled for me by Wikipedia, of all things. Back in the day in Canada we got the episodes months late on the CBC, and in the middle of the season I looked up old Who stuff on Wikipedia, read about the Master, and oops he's a villain at the end of Series Three played by John Simm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

DoctorWhat posted:

You may think they're badric, but I find them :krad:ric

I will be gladric when this madness ends and we get to Voyage Of The Damned.

Oh wait, with all these puns this already is a voyage of the damned.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I completely understand Occ's open-armed acceptance of Doctor Who as a gloriously stupid thing to adore. I went through all the Alien movies for Halloween, and got to Alien Resurrection. This was a movie I saw once, on VHS when it came out, and wasn't fond of. So as an Alien fan on the Internet, all I've heard about the movie was that it sucked and was garbage and yadda yadda yadda.

Then I rewatched it. It's bad, yes. But it's so spectacularly idiotic and stupid and over the top that I found myself laughing both at it and with it. I mean, I can't hate a movie where Ron Perlman hangs upside-down from a ladder by his feet, shooting double pistols at a xenomorph while yelling "die motherfucker", exploding the alien's head, then flipping back up and getting scared by a spider in its web and shooting the goddamn spider web with his gun holy poo poo

Point is, Occ, I understand. Also your reminder of what's for grabs with the review guessing contest made me remember that I've had a copy of Metal Gear Rising on the shelf for months. I might get on that.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Bicyclops posted:

I think I liked the goofy hero worship scientist from this episode and also the way that he used the psychic paper to get on the bus at the very beginning, which everyone else hates, but the rest of the episode is quite bad and the bus is filled with, for reasons beyond my comprehension, stock characters from some kind of half-assed Stephen King ripoff.

Planet Of The Dead basically reeks of Stephen King's The Langoliers. An impressive feat, given that we already did a story that kind of reeked of The Langoliers in Father's Day.

Whereas Father's Day was my introduction to the show and it hooked me based on the concept of time travel fuckery, Planet Of The Dead was just a mess that actively made me say "holy poo poo this is just a giant ripoff of The Langoliers, except worse".

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I was doing rather well and middle of the board until the Year of Specials. I don't know how I flubbed that up because I don't remember my thought process when I sent off my guesses way back when.

My strategy of giving the episodes of Series 4 mostly Bs and Cs was relatively paying off, too. Ah well, it was a fun game.

Any chance we'll do it again for the Series 5 writeups?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Alien and Aliens are both pretty good movies.

That being said, I prefer Alien to Aliens and think that it is a more effective movie.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

I see your beedeer and raise you...

This bit of masterpiece.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Tiggum posted:

I think Doctor Who has the worst teasers of any show I've ever seen. You'd watch an episode and something would clearly be meant to surprise you, but it never could because it was always shown at the end of the last episode. The first instance where it's really obvious is the first season episode Dalek. The appearance of the Dalek is supposed to be as much a surprise to the audience as it is to the characters, but they showed it in the previous week's teaser and called the episode Dalek! It's like the people who put together the teasers and other marketing material hated the writers and wanted to ruin everything for them.

To be fair, this is how the classic series handled Daleks as well. You'd fire up an episode and see it was called "____ Of The Daleks: Episode One" and then 25 minutes later the cliffhanger is SURPRISE, THERE'S A DALEK!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

thexerox123 posted:

I really want to see them go through Avatar: The Last Airbender afterwards, if they haven't seen it. I feel like it would probably be a similar journey of a show winning over skepticism.

I just started this show myself and I'm four episodes in. It's okay, but I do hope it gets better.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Hot Fuzz is the best one of the set. It's basically a 90-minute buildup to the greatest action series of punchlines put on film.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
We were talking about Classic Who briefly before, and now the Cold Blood review's been posted and we're talking about Chris Chibnall and how he did not do a good job on this one.

Which amuses me because there's totally a clip from an 80's British talk show where a bunch of Doctor Who fans react to that year's finale by saying they didn't like it and junk, and Chibnall is one of them.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Toxxupation posted:

That's in the version not in the ps2 version, it was added later on and is deeply, deeply embarrassing for most to all fans

But like legit if you have a ps2 you should play p4, it's an incredible, incredible game, in my opinion the greatest jrpg ever made

Is P4 Golden still good despite this bit of fanservice malarkey

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh lord, that's right. I have a copy of MH4U on its way to me, since a friend got one more than he expected.

This is going to consume me, isn't it? I'm scared. :ohdear:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The only thing saving me from sinking all of my free time into Monster Hunter is Persona Q. Which I've been sinking all of my free time into. Crap.

Also, the reviews? Whatever makes you happy. If cutting down on the recaps would help writing them go better, then by all means.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

El Pato posted:

Oh man I was a big fan of the Real Ghostbusters, that show had amazing music.

The favorite episodes where the one about the door that shouldnīt be opened until de apocalypse. (its on youtube but I donīt know if I can link it cause of :filez: )the one where there is a tv show where they see into the future and then the show ends...and the one about fighting Ctulhu.

I also vaguely remember there was a ghost mafia later on? Was that the same show? Like, a ghost godfather and poo poo.

They put two of the episodes as a bonus on a Ghostbusters DVD set; the first one is the doppleganger one already mentioned, and the second has that ghost godfather thing in it.

I also remember an episode where the Ghostbusters literally go back in time and bust the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, creating a terrible alternate future where everyone is miserable during the holidays and says "bah humbug" to each other because Scrooge wrote a book about it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Toxxupation posted:

Which is literally anything at all! I've talked up endlessly about how "Doctor Who is..." this or that, but the real secret is is that Doctor Who is ANYTHING. It can be whatever it wants to be, and it loving should! It's generally an optimistic show about the triumph of humanity over the forces of cynicism and self-doubt but if it wants to be this brooding, dark, introspective, cynical, fatalistic treatise on the dark depths that humanity can sink to it should. A show with infinite possibilities should be truly infinite, and the universe of DW is so deliberately small, so hamstrung by its necessity to pay endless respect and its dues to whatever came before it. DW is a show burdened by its past, which it then makes worse by treating it as sacred and untouchable; the sheer fact that Moffat went "gently caress it" and turned its title into a plot point should be met with applause, even if you hated the execution of it.

At last you understand the heart and soul of Doctor Who. Well done. That whole line of thinking where the show has to keep referencing itself is what killed it in the 80's, incidentally. The mentality of BRING BACK MORE VILLAINS FROM THE 70'S.

Well, there was a hell of a lot more that killed it, but that was one of the killing blows.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I can name some good things about the episode. Mostly when it was over, and the couple of sweet lines there.

Amy and Rory always set a place for the Doctor. See, that's just so lovely.

Shame they wasted Bill Bailey, though.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Blasmeister posted:

Scooby Doo and the Wrestlemania Mystery has potential competition for best Scooby crossover property?

I dunno. As much as I adore Doctor Who, this is going to be hard to beat.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I had about the same reaction to Deep Breath. For the first time I wasn't completely hyped up and on board with the new Doctor because the first episode wasn't an outright smash like those other "new Doctor" episodes. That and the abandoning Clara thing, which only manages to not be the Worst Thing because of Six trying to throttle the life out of Peri ten minutes into his first episode. Notably, neither Six nor Twelve ever say to their companion "yo, sorry about that". It utterly poisoned the well for Six, but as Twelve's instance wasn't as bad, and later episodes have him do better things... I got over it.

One more thing you might be interested in; there's a guy who does fan edits of Doctor Who. Mostly the old stuff but he's done some of the new (and probably will do more now that he's actually done edits of ALL of Classic Who). Anyway, he took Deep Breath and made it into a 45 minute cut.

Worth checking out for a lark, maybe?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I think Listen was my favorite episode of Series 8. Close contest between it and one of the later episodes.

The thing I love the most is the ambiguity over what the hell was under the sheet. I like that the Doctor doesn't know everything and anything in the universe, and that there are still some things out there that are strange and unknown and terrible.

A friend of mine was upset that we didn't get to see what was under the sheet, and that just kind of ticks me off because that's the entire point of the episode. I said as much in the other Who thread the other day, but one of Moffat's worst sins for me was when he went and showed what was in the Doctor's room in the God Complex. Not explaining every little thing can be good sometimes! It keeps people theorizing and wondering and lets everyone have their own personal interpretation! When you set poo poo like that in stone it just deflates it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
That was a really good review, Occ. You came at the criticism in a way that I've not seen people do before for Kill The Moon; it's mostly just the science argument stuff. As much as I like the Hinchcliffe era fakeout of the moon spiders, and Clara's amazing bit at the end... yeah, Kill The Moon was the first miss of S8 for me.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought he had to review the TV movie?

Nah, that's the week after, for New Year's. At least that's when I break out the TV movie.

Along with the chips and dip. And booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

The_Doctor posted:

Do you synch it up so that midnight in the TV Movie happens at midnight in RL?

I have never done that before. Mostly because I never thought of it and I like watching the fireworks on actual midnight.

• Locked thread