Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Finally someone will tell me exactly why this episode is infamous because I genuinely have no idea.

The last five minutes are pure, unadulterated dogshit. There you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

Oh yeah. Adric is a real gem.

Yeah, he's a real bang-up guy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Real ground-breaking character.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

He totally crashes and burns by the end, though.

OK yeah I'm done

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Still, the Doctor has only had three companions die while traveling with him (up to the point the thread is up to, not saying anything about future companions!), right? And the two that die with the first Doctor barely count. Most of them either pull the "I found a husband here on Planet X" routine or "Oh, I'm home now. Well, bye."

Who's the other one that died with the first Doctor? All I can think of is Katerina (who, for people keeping score, got about the worst raw deal of any companion. Pulled out of the wreckage of Troy, thought she was travelling with a god, spent her last days with the worst case of culture shock possible, then put herself out an airlock the very next story)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

adhuin posted:

He was literally God from a blue box. Maybe someone could translate it into Latin.

Deus ex hogwash

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Timby posted:

Edit: For anyone who's interested in how the Davies years of Doctor Who were actually produced, I highly recommend The Writer's Tale.

Yeah Occ I know you don't care about the non-televised stuff but you really ought to give this a look, it's frankly fantastic and speaks about a lot of the stuff you've been bringing up in reviews.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I liked this show from the start and I like it nowhere near enough to drop money on a 700-page biopic when I can get the relevant points from this thread for free, held together with my wild, baseless speculation.

Did I get the name wrong or did you

WHO AM I

e: that was supposed to be directed at the guy what posted the thread

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 25, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oooh, are we doing rankings and bickering?

The Fungah! Top Ten Memorial Station

10. Impossible Planet/Satan Pit
9. Fires of Pompeii
8. Dalek
7. Father's Day
6. Midnight
5. Utopia (but not the other two)
4. Girl in the Fireplace
3. Blink
2. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
1. Human Nature/Family of Blood

Hon. mentions off the top of my head: Doomsday (Daleks vs. Cybermen was dumb as poo poo and I loved every minute of it), Gridlock, School Reunion

These are the bad ones

10. Let's go with New Earth
9. Last of the Time Lords (but not the other two)
8. Stolen Planet/Journey's End
7. The End of Time Parts 1 & 2
6. Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
5. Love and Monsters
4. The Shakespeare Code
3. Fear Her
2. Voyage of the Damned (Not only is it total butt trash, the name's in appallingly bad taste)
1. Planet of the Dead

Dishon. mentions: 42, The Idiot's Lantern, Partners in Crime, Smith and Jones

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 1, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Question for Occ. If you'd only agreed to review the pre-Moffat stuff, would you keep watching the show?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

Come on, man, don't go asking if Santa Claus is real.

Nope we need to know the truth. I think the answer's yes anyway.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It's probably the worst audio story I've heard and that is saying something.

It's so god-drat bad, gently caress

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

RTD, in retrospect, always wanted it to be a show for kids- which is what it, you know, is -but Eccleston in his time on Who clearly thinks that this is a show for adults, and puts in the performance to match.

Interestingly, Eccleston had something to say about this in a post mortem interview in 2011:

quote:

I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bullshitted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

plitting the script editor and producer responsibilities

I'm definitely in favor of this one at least, if the revival's proved anything it's that having one person doing both has been turning out to be a huge mess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The old episodes looked like garbage, dude. There's no getting around that. The acting was so wooden that everyone involved might as well have been mannequins with awful haircuts and all the more interesting lines read better on Wikiquote or something than actually spoken aloud because the sound-capture equipment was so cheap. The sets all looked like they'd blow away in a stiff breeze and the music was trash, even if it was this cargo-cult vanguard of true synth music or whatever. You had four to six hours dedicated to stories with all the verve and production value of a grade-school drama production containing about fifteen minutes of actual content.

That's just, like, your opinion, man

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not so invested in this show that I ever gave a poo poo about a scheduling hiccup. Neither should you, honestly, but we all have our faults. Breaking Bad had a split season and I didn't care then, either! And it's way better than Doctor Who on Who's best day!

It's not just scheduling hiccups, it's scheduling hiccups, weird budget allocations, crazy staffing issues ("erased from Doctor Who," for instance, and all the people that got fired a few years ago), and a bunch of other poo poo that can feed back into the quality of the episode.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Oh, you've redecorated your avatar! ...I don't like it.

(Oh wait, you haven't seen classic who, you won't get that reference.)

Don't listen to him Occ, it's a good av

mostly because every time i see one of your posts i listen to the song

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Actually don't like Terminator 2 that much either. Cameron goin' on expanding things that work better on their own again.

This might be the worst opinion I've ever heard

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Terminator 2 is a great action film but an absolute garbage follow-up to the perfect original. Merry Christmas!

Oh no you don't motherfucker, you don't get to just drop that and run. in what way is T2 garbage compared to T1

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Just want to point out that in five months we've gone from this:

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

to this:

Toxxupation posted:

Wait there's a doctor who puzzle and dragons clone

Wait

Wait

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress that is some doctor who-rear end puzzle and dragons gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

Room 101 breaks them all in the end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bring it on, young man.

Also I bought the game, I'll report back when I get around to playing it in 3 years time

My opinions are beyond reproach and it's worth bumping revengeance up in the queue, IMO

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxx, people who play monster hunter are scientifically proven to be both handsomer and smarter than their colleagues, and also lead fulfilling, spiritually complete lives. You can't let Occ have that leg up on you man

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hammer bros reppin'

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't quite get the hang of hammers, which is my eternal shame

you pick up the light bit, and you hit the monster in the head with the heavy bit

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

computer parts posted:

Though be warned that it's like 25 GB (I own it and it's cool although I stopped playing about midway through).

got shadows of mordor from a friend and that's like 45 :captainpop:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I liked Season 1 a lot before this thread and now I realize that what I mostly liked was Eccleston. Everything else about those episodes (Moffat's excluded) was really dire, even by Who's standards.

There's a couple other good stories in there, IMO. Dalek and Father's Day are good, and Aliens of London/World War 3 is a good concept wrapped in farting aliens and really horrible direction

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

another good reason to enter if you havent:

should have just been seven copies of revengeance, IMO

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

what do you think i am, made of money

start taking bribes for your reviews. I'd've given you five bucks to give planet of the dead an A

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Practical Demon posted:

Dignity sold for cyborgs, katanas, and butt rock.

nothing finer in life except monster hunter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

oh man what if they made a metal gear monster hunter

i mean they did but imagine if it had MGR's combat system

i've gazed on the infinite and it is good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the one who's actually going to win is me, fungah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah it's a lot better but also Moffat's own flaws are a lot more pronounced too.

He said it was shot a lot better, which, yeah. Say what you will about Moffat's run (i'm not saying a loving word yet), they finally got some cinematographers worth a poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ActionZero posted:

In retrospect I have no idea why I went for B.

Because for me to win, everyone else must lose. Sorry ActionZero that you were among the first to fall

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

But yeah this episode is so drat good and IMO the single best way to introduce people to Doctor Who. Hands down one of my favorites

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Occ you bastard

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this a joke?

Did you hear about the killjoy who won an outing with the Happiness Patrol? He was tickled to death.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I was thinking even further back, plenty of the historicals did their best to correct common misconceptions (eg The Crusades) as much as the writers could manage/knew about/etc.

Oh, well aware, just didn't want to let a feed line go to waste. Show's never had any bones about addressing that stuff in the past, it'd be a drat shame if it started now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"Victory of the Daleks"
Series 5, Episode 3

Whatever happened to the idea that The Doctor and his Companion would dress up in the style of the time before disembarking?

This has never really been a thing, the reference to it in whatever episode it was (Shakespeare Code? Unquiet Dead? One of those) was more of a joke about how the series has never cared about historical accuracy in clothing except when it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Also this is a reference you probably don't know about but the first half of the episode with the Daleks going undercover is basically a straight up-rewrite of a very old Doctor Who story called The Power of the Daleks where a human colony undergoing a massive power struggle unearths a Dalek spaceship. The scientist who studies the spaceship finds a single surviging Dalek aboard sans gunstick. The Dalek pretends to be serving the humans and begins building other Dalek "servants" who eventually strike and wipe out most of the colony during a human-sponsored coup before the Doctor manages to stop them. Reason this is interesting is that this was the very first regeneration story (The doctor had just finished "changing his appearance" from William Hartnell, the first Doctor, to Patrick Troughton) and Smith's said on several occasions that he modeled a lot of his Doctor's mannerisms on Patrick Troughton's. Just kind of an interesting parallel with the semi-reboot the revival underwent when it switched showrunners from Rustie to Moffat.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread