Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

armoredgorilla posted:

Having him watch a couple Tom Baker serials wouldn't be the biggest crime in the world.

Just leave off with the audios, y'know?

Just have him watch quality stuff like The Creature from the Pit, though. There is no point in wasting time on the drab stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

everyone here vote for kentucky route zero on steam today, so i can spend less money on buying it for the contest

How would I go about doing that? Is it one of those Greenlight things?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

adhuin posted:

Not specifically for toxx, but EVERYONE should give it a try.

It's a motherloving 1 dollar for 8 hours of Daleks pew-pewing humans and other fun stuff. a perfect (and almost free) way to try out Doctor Who Audio dramas!

I bought this on a whim, and I think it's absolutely excellent. There are basically eight standard Doctor Who episodes starring Collin Baker, and then there is Dalek Empire, which does not seem to feature the doctor at all, as far as I can tell. Instead you get to experience a Dalek invasion from the point of view of a bunch of normal people. Surprisingly, this makes the Daleks actually scary.

Toxx obviously won't like it because he gets angry listening to fiction on the bus or something, but I highly recommend it to everybody else. The production quality is excellent, and Collin Baker is a lot of fun to listen to.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

thexerox123 posted:

It seems like there are a lot more entries for this round!

Yeah, I never bothered with Tennant. My first episode of NuWho was that one episode about the game show, and it got so boring that I never gave Doctor Who another chance until Matt Smith's run started. He just managed to make the better first impression, I guess.

In retrospect, I don't even remember why I gave this episode a D. The Eleventh Hour was basically the episode that sold me on Smith and NuWho in general. Maybe it was the bad CGI? I really hate bad CGI.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This is the first time I've actually guessed correctly :toot:

Toxxupation posted:

Unfortunately the analogy doesn't hold because Rory, and Rory alone, gets the full 5 Rories out of 5, so the highest possible grade any doctor who ep could get would be 4 Rories

It's a bit disheartening, though, that I gave that score under the assumption that you would review the episode and not just the character Rory Williams.
I'm not complaining, of course.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oxxidation posted:

He liked the episode because it was a good episode. Rory just made it significantly better and was the most interesting part of it, so he dedicated most of his post to Rory. All hail.

Toxx calls the plot "samey" and "decent enough". I guess that's a B to C without Rory then?

I challenge you to find a paragraph that does not talk about Rory.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe it's just because I like the actor but I think you're being a bit harsh on Nasreen! The way I read it, when she said the drill was her life's work, she was just confirming that she understood why the Doctor was being all sheepish about asking her to destroy it. She put up no resistance, and in fact five seconds later she was actually contributing to the plan. She chose to stay underground because she knew her life's work was the discovery she'd made, not the tool she built to make it.

This is how I interpreted it as well, but I generally don't really mind most of the characters. Sometimes people are just not that great, especially when under stress. It's a testament to Rory that he remained the best until the end.

John Charity Spring posted:

"Seriously considered giving it an A" made me snort with laughter.

Toxx might be my favourite flip-flopping reviewer ever.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A Christmas Carol is included in my series 6 box set, so it's pretty officially part of that season imo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rochallor posted:

I was bound to win because I voted my heart. Except for Cold Blood, which I don't remember anything about except Rory gets erased.

I feel a whole less confident about Series 6, cause I think what little of a thread consensus there is breaks down after Series 5. I'm willing to bet the scores are going to be a lot higher this time around.

For what it's worth, I put the Christmas special as the first episode of Series 6.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Toxx' reviews for series 6. I tried giving each episode my honest score for the guessing game, and couldn't really make up my mind.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sighence posted:

Yeah, still in the anti-lead by a full gently caress-up. My reign of shittiest overall guesser is intact.

I'm coming for you. :mad: It's a race to the bottom from here on out.

That pirate episode really blindsided me. I had no idea people actually liked badly-lit, unsympathetic, grimy pirate adventures.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Angela Christine posted:

I think after the long wait some people hated the first half of Let's Kill Hitler so much that it poisoned the second half and even the next episodes for them. Amy's baby turning to goo in her arms was a powerful image, and we're left wondering how the Doctor is going to fix it for months. And then the answer was "lol, you already raised your baby in the form of this best friend we never mentioned before". People who hated that, who felt personally betrayed by that, went into Night Terrors still in a bad mood.

Personally, I binge-watched the entire season in about a week. I didn't really mind Let's Kill Hitler that much, but Night Terrors really fell flat for me. It doesn't deliver on its creepy setting in any interesting way, and I didn't feel emotionally invested. It's an okay episode. I didn't skip it the second time around, but I also didn't specifically look forward to watching it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

mind the walrus posted:

I honestly wonder why it isn't held in higher regard in actual Who circles. It is easily one of the best Who episodes I've ever seen.

Personally, I just really hate the CGI aliens. They look like some kind of 90s/early 2000s video game thing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

mind the walrus posted:

Ah yes they totally ruin the illustrious Who tradition of having the best creature effects in the business for fifty plus years running.

The Eleventh Hour was the first NuWho episode I ever watched. I was expecting some kind of man in a rubber suit. CGI garbage just doesn't make me feel nostalgic. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Random Stranger posted:

The grades clearly exist just to drive anyone who cares about them insane.

The grades have gotten a lot less useful ever since the start of the Moffat run. I actually used them from series 1-4 to figure out whether I should bother watching something before reading the review. It genuinely seemed pretty spot on.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Power of Three

Current rankings:

AndMore: 2

Let me just use this moment to thank all my supporters. It's been a long, hard road, and I'll probably gently caress up soon because I stopped watching DW regularly after this turd. Thank you!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

idonotlikepeas posted:

And More's F vote on this episode plummets him out of the lead. Congratulations to our new leader, Labratio. Good luck keeping it!

At least I agreed with Toxx on something for a short while. :shobon:

I had basically accepted that Amy and Rory were leaving, and this just felt like a really drawn-out way of doing it. They had both died or gotten into seemingly hopeless situation so many times already. It felt like an arbitrary way of killing them off. The setting is also really boring, and the angel statue is some crappy Ghostbusters knock off.

After all that, I was glad that the new companion was finally returning. The Snowmen is a lot of fun. There is a good villain, some nice banter, and the companion's death really trips you up. Good stuff.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 26, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'm kind of surprised I didn't give this an F, now. When I saw the wikipedia article I was pretty convinced that I hated every second of it. I guess the episode is just really forgettable, instead. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, like half of Classic Who is basically about the Cold War, even if it's set on a distant space station. The entire Pertwee era, however you resolve the UNIT dating controversy, is like five years of the Doctor inserting himself into Cold War politics.

This entire episode really feels like old Doctor Who to me. Especially when the doctor tries telling everyone to stop shooting each other and no one listens. It's just infuriating. Good stuff.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, Day is really outstanding. I don't remember a lot about series 7 (seriously, I keep confusing Cold War and Nightmare in Silver), but Day of the Doctor is one of my favourite Doctor Who episodes ever. It's particularly good if you love Tom Baker. And who doesn't?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

• Oh yeah, and we got Four here as well in the form of Tom Baker, at the very end. I don't like Four and I don't like Tom Baker; he's too exaggerated and weird and broad for Who, and that's saying something when in the same episode there was 75 straight minutes of Tennant. I think Four is the only Doctor whose initial appearance I don't like, but...yeah. Don't really want to see any more of Four.

Perfect! The one doctor you truly don't like. You should review all his episodes. :thumbsup: Seriously, though, this must be a misunderstanding. Are you sure you're not confusing Tom Baker with some sort of imperfect representation of an alien?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

But even with all that going on, Tom Baker held court. You catch the right serial, like Robot, Genesis of the Daleks, or City of Death, and you have no choice but to pay rapt attention to his performance. The show might not be for everyone, and yes, Tom Baker might not be for everyone, but his feckless charm, infectious grin, and sheer charisma demands your complete attention, even for a few moments. I’d put the “do I have the right” scene from Genesis of the Daleks up against any other scene in the series, classic or revival.

How come you didn't mention the most crucial and best serial The Creature from the Pit? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If Toxx only ever watched a single serial of Old Who it would have to be that one. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

I would argue the whole Prisoner Zero plot in Eleventh Hour isn't all that great - it's perfectly satisfactory but is one of many forgettable-rear end DW monsters of the week.

When I watched series five and six with a bunch of friends prisoner zero left such a big impression that one of them ended up constantly expecting his return. As a first Doctor Who villain he is a bit unusual, but he ends up being quite memorable. On a technical level, he is certainly a better executed villain than the floating 90s CGI-eye.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'll post the full results this evening when I'm not on my phone, but it looks like And More is our lucky winner for this season by a single point!

And More, would you prefer to receive a semi-appropriate game on Steam, a semi-appropriate show on Amazon Instant View, or the mystery prize?

I screwed up with my final guess, a C, but if I actually am the winner I will of course take the mystery price.

Your commentary on the guessing game was really great, btw. It made the whole thing feel way more exciting than month old guesses have any right to be. :)

And More fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 25, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

Yo i realized that I never gave out prizes for S6

yo, Notatwat, you won the S6 guessing game, you get your pick of

Deus Ex HR

And More you get a game too, whatever you want of what notatwat doesn't choose

Do I still get my mystery price if I choose a game? I definitely want that mystery price. Otherwise, I'll gladly also take Deus Ex. My email address is: AndMoreSA@gmail.com.

Thanks for your amazing reviews, Occ. So far, it has been a lot of fun re-examining the show, and thinking about the individual episodes more critically. I'm really looking forward to series 8 after your break. Capaldi is definitely different, and I can't wait to find out what you think about him.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

idonotlikepeas posted:

The mystery prize has now been delivered to And More. Go thou and dick garbage no more.

:magical: Thank you! It is beautiful. :swoon:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MikeJF posted:

In any case, I was more annoyed by how narratively pointless it was.

Yeah, I just watched the episode in its entirety for the first time, and I honestly don't know what the dinosaur was for. Maybe they wanted to remind the audience that Capaldi looks a bit like a big, dangerous lizard man himself?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

idonotlikepeas, that synopsis is hilarious. if you wrote it yourself please tell me you're planning on doing them for the rest of the season. sorry these other fools are too busy arguing about anime to appreciate a good thing

and you're all wrong because Paranoia Agent is the best anime

Agreed. Both that synopsis and Paranoia Agent are excellent. Additionally, Paprika, Detroit Metal City, Jin-Roh and Ping Pong The Animation. JoJo is probably the most representative anime, though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

Another thing about Deep Breath is that when you view it through the lens of the writer's personal politics (and you're probably not a very good analyst if you don't do this tbh) giving Clara the "control freak" personality and having Capaldi dismiss her and treat her like poo poo for ages and ages all comes off as very iffy indeed.

The implication of that scene is that both of them are control freaks in their own way, and blissfully unaware of it. Biographism is outdated, and leads nowhere.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

Looking at the views of the person who wrote a piece of text to understand more what they were thinking subconsciously when they wrote it or what subtext that would have added to it is like basic poo poo though. Especially when it's Moffat who historically is known for literally writing shows about himself. And please don't come back to me talking about how authorial intent means nothing these days or whatever because while I'm not at all a death of the author denier I saw Room 237 and that was the best argument against going too far down that road I've ever seen.

Sure, looking at an author's views and their other work can be useful. It's also very limiting because you end up creating an image of the author that colours the way you interpret their work. If Moffat is sexist you have no other choice than to perceive the scene in the restaurant as a judgment on Clara. He has to write sexist characters because he can't possibly stop being sexist.

Even if Moffat is exactly as sexist as you think, though, writing for television is always a collaborative effort. Scripts go through many re-writes and last minute changes. Sure, his name is on that script, but every member of the writing staff, the actors, the producers, etc. also have a hand in it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

But this incident doesn't exist in a vacuum. I wouldn't think Moffat's sexism crept into his writing if any of the individual issues were alone in being problematic, but it happens all the time. To the point where I came to the conclusion it was happening because of the amount of evidence for that viewpoint and not just because I'm limiting myself!

And even if we assume you're American and don't realise how much less interference there is with scripting in British TV, he is the showrunner. In the end this stuff is nobody else's fault but his.

Your evidence seems to be entirely based on external sources, and not on the restaurant scene itself. Without your assumptions about Moffat's sexism, there is no evidence of a sexist subtext in Capaldi's and Coleman's conversation. The scene on its own does not allow for that interpretation. I even offered you an alternative reading of this scene in which both Clara and the Doctor are portrayed as equally flawed, entirely based on the scene and its context within the episode.

If the script is not a first draft then there have been a number of people who influenced Moffat's writing. Once the script is finalised, the actors usually also get a say in what their characters should be allowed to say. I doubt Moffat could force Capaldi or Coleman to spew sexist propaganda.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My favourite sappy Doctor Who song is Abigail's song from the Christmas Carol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZBZGz51cRc

Such a nice, sweeping, christmas-y sound and a tiny bit sad, too.

Bown posted:

And More, you know I'm also referring to episodes that haven't aired yet and not just the restaurant scene, right? You must do. There's a ton of it throughout the first half of this season. You provided a potential interpretation of one scene but there's tons more.

Bown, the restaurant scene was part of your argument. What else was I supposed to address? This may surprise you, but I've legitimately never thought of this show as very sexist. If it becomes more apparent in one of the upcoming episodes: fair enough. As far as I'm concerned, this episode is not a good example, though. Let's maybe wait until we get further into the series like Bicyclops suggested.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 9, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I really love Time Heist. It's clearly style over substance, but everything about it, down to the tiny little snippets of characterisation, just worked for me. Clara's role, I feel, has been established as "Carer" now, so she is supposed to actually give a poo poo about people. The Doctor is too busy being a dick. Admittedly, that's not as fancy as the other characters' gimmicks.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

You mean like every other female companion since the revival started?

Every revival Doctor until Capaldi has been very sociable and nice. He is a piece of poo poo to everyone. Capaldi's Doctor needs someone to care about people because he sure as hell doesn't seem to.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Sure, but every female companion has been "the one who forms an emotional connection with an incidental one-off character in the episode and/or saves the day by Caring".

Fair enough. To some degree, that's always been the case. Now it's just the main focus.

I was not talking about Clara's merit as a companion in general, though. I was talking about her role in the specific episode. The exchanges that happen between her and the other characters could never take place with Capaldi's Doctor because he doesn't care enough to actually talk with anyone.

edit: Re-reading my initial comment, that was not entirely clear.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 25, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I always interpreted it as him behaving a bit like an overprotective father. Sure, the Doctor wants Clara to be happy, but the guy Clara dates should still live by the same values he himself cherishes. It's definitely an ego thing, but I think it's about values and not sexual attraction.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I love this episode. The hatching of the monster reminds me of old Godzilla films. I love that the spider-monsters turn out to just be microbes, and I love the Doctor getting called out on his bullshit "I'm not involved"-stance: "Honestly, do you have music playing in your head when you say rubbish like that?"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

cargohills posted:

A single woman makes a choice that completely ignores everyone who would actually be affected by her decision. In the abortion metaphor, the people of earth would be the woman and she would be the person who said "actually you can't make your choice because I said so".

Actually, the space dragon that laid the egg would be the woman, and everybody else is just trying to make the decision for her. That is why, by not interfering, you're respecting the choice of the space dragon.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

your evil twin posted:

We also know that animals can't lay eggs that are physically larger than the entirity of their bodies. You could argue that the animal is like a TARDIS and is bigger on the inside than the outside (which the Doctor never suggests)... but the egg still has to emerge through a hole on in the animal's body.

You know you're really getting somewhere once you've started pondering the space chicken's butthole.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 30, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus Christ, it's Bown all over again.

Um, this guy:

is Bown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

There's no such thing as objective quality, you can only measure stuff against goals set beforehand. For instance: Kill the Moon, as a piece of television for kids families, should have, as its first purpose, being entertaining. It has failed in this goal, which you can tell because a large amount of people on this very forum were not entertained by it.

Now stop telling people they're watching television wrong.

Wait, you're telling me people found KTM boring? I mean, a lot of people have issued valid complaints against the episode, but the heated discussion on the previous pages indicates to me that people were anything but bored. Maybe you should explain what you mean by "not entertaining" first. It's got a gigantic space chicken in it, after all.

• Locked thread