Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have just been horribly unimpressed with Bryan on the mic since he dropped the crazy gimmick and I'm glad he finally left television. I appreciate that they actually tried to keep him on TV for a while to keep him hot, but listening to him was brutal. Brie I see nothing whatsoever in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

She's one of the stars of Total Divas, she's Daniel Bryan's wife, and has a built-in storyline that's been building for two months. I'm not saying she's the best one for the role, but it just happened to work out. I think it's both a way to keep Daniel Bryan in our minds, and a way to keep Stephanie McMahon in an important storyline.

I pretty much see it as an extension of HHH vs. Bryan since Bryan is out of action for who knows how much longer.

That said, was that the first time in years that we had women-only in the main event segment (going back to say, the Trish-Lita main event).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Vertical Lime posted:

That said, was that the first time in years that we had women-only in the main event segment (going back to say, the Trish-Lita main event).

Highlighted by Lita's scary accordion impression.

I miss good women's wrestling. If they would bring back Awesome Kong and have her destroy the entire Divas division, that would be swell.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm BEGINNING to suspect they don't know what the hell they're doing with Cesaro

It's just all so confusing. I love Cesaro, please let me love him WWE. Send him out in a shirt each week that explicitly states his face/heel alignment, because I can't make any sense of this guy since Wrestlemania. "This week I am no longer affiliated with Paul Heyman, but am [continued on back] still a heel and consider him a close personal friend," followed by next week's "I call myself the king of swing yet never use this maneuver because I am in fact, still technically a heel and you should boo me even though I don't do anything particularly evil and have no storyline."

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I don't get why people are all over this Cena promo. It seemed like a generic "SERIOUS CENA" promo, where he raises his voice, drops into his accent, talks about "PASSION," calls a dude Jack, and maybe uses some PG-13 swears. It's all so forced and I've seen it all before.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

It's just all so confusing. I love Cesaro, please let me love him WWE. Send him out in a shirt each week that explicitly states his face/heel alignment, because I can't make any sense of this guy since Wrestlemania. "This week I am no longer affiliated with Paul Heyman, but am [continued on back] still a heel and consider him a close personal friend," followed by next week's "I call myself the king of swing yet never use this maneuver because I am in fact, still technically a heel and you should boo me even though I don't do anything particularly evil and have no storyline."

I'm sorry but it's obvious Cesaro's a heel. He's always been except for maybe about 20 minutes or so at Wrestlemania. He's still a heel despite no longer being a Heyman guy because he was a smug prick and offered to help the Authority. He's still Paul's friend because they are heels and heels are friends. The "King Of Swing" thing is kind of dumb but that was always Heyman that called him that. Also he CAN do the swing, he just generally chooses not to because he's a dick. Heeling! It's lame, aimless heeling, but it's heeling.

I won't dispute for a second that he has no clear storyline or direction, but how is his alignment at all confusing?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll admit, the only real reason I liked Cena/Brock #1 was because Brock beat him up until he cried.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

You know Cesaro is a heel because only heels are allowed to have friends in the WWE.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I wonder if Dave was more harsh on Cena/Cesaro because the G1 is on and if you're watching every show, you're being inundated with great wrestling, where even the mediocre matches are pretty fun. I sort of felt like I would have appreciated it more if all I'd been watching lately was WWE. Cena's audible spot calling has been getting worse, though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I won't dispute for a second that he has no clear storyline or direction, but how is his alignment at all confusing?

His alignment isn't necessarily confusing, but WWE keeps tiptoeing up to the edge of turning him face and then running away. It's fine if they're doing it in an interesting way, but they're not so it just kills his momentum.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cena's never really arched his back for his hurricarana, so it has always looked wrong. That was a cool match though. The Hulu version definitely cut stuff out (the post-match replay footage gave this away) so I'm wondering if that's why it didn't seem especially botchy to me. I wouldn't think the 90-minute Raw is specifically edited for botches, but I know they trim matches sometimes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cena calling the swing spot was the first time I've actually noticed spot calling while watching (and not just while watching Botchamania)

It was really bad.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have just been horribly unimpressed with Bryan on the mic since he dropped the crazy gimmick and I'm glad he finally left television. I appreciate that they actually tried to keep him on TV for a while to keep him hot, but listening to him was brutal. Brie I see nothing whatsoever in.

This, but unironically.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

This, but unironically.

I am not even being ironic! :argh:

The payoff to having Bryan lately is his workrate, and the heels he deals with are the most interesting thing about him.

DingoSlasher
Jul 25, 2013

It's a day job.
All I know is that calling John Cena a billboard or saying his shoes are from K-Mart is grounds for an rear end kicking in Cena's books.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Spikeguy posted:

I hope people don't sour on that Cena match just because Meltzer did. It was really good and made both guys look strong. And it started because Cesaro dissed Cena's ring gear!

That was the best drat part too, 'cause Cesaro shot off his mouth with "You're not a wrestler, you're a walking billboard!" and Cena instantly shifted into "I am so over this poo poo" mode, not because "I'm not a walking billboard!" but because "I'm a drat GOOD wrestler" and went after him.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
guys i'm getting tired of roman reigns

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I missed RAW.. was there no follow-up to Xavier Woods, Kofi, and Big E?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bhester posted:

oh man I didn't even realize this

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bhester posted:

They watched a tag team match on the monitor and then came out to watch it some more (apparently, I missed all of it) Big E loves him some screen-watching.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope they just stand ringside for the next eight weeks.

DingoSlasher
Jul 25, 2013

It's a day job.

Bhester posted:

The follow up is the Big E just wanted to spread the joys of standing around staring at a match really inventively.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bhester posted:

They'll be reintroduced next week as The Afterthoughts.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Dimebags Brain posted:

I don't get why people are all over this Cena promo. It seemed like a generic "SERIOUS CENA" promo, where he raises his voice, drops into his accent, talks about "PASSION," calls a dude Jack, and maybe uses some PG-13 swears. It's all so forced and I've seen it all before.

Yeah I felt like the minority on this but I wasn't too moved either. It wasn't bad, it was just a Cena promo.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

TheEggsBenedict posted:

This + Adam Rose

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DingoSlasher posted:

All I know is that calling John Cena a billboard or saying his shoes are from K-Mart is grounds for an rear end kicking in Cena's books.

His shoes are literally from Kmart. He has a whole line of clothes there.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Is their any gifs of Cena's hurricaranna or any other sloppy moves?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I want to enjoy him, but I'm getting sick of his matches looking like the way I play wrestling video games. Basically, he just waits around until he can hit his power move (the superman punch), and he does it over and over. Even in a night where he was basically just getting his rear end kicked, he threw two superman punches.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 29, 2014

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

fart blood posted:

I just hope Becky Lynch isn't cut. I like Becky Lynch.

She's posed for a big push and is on a lot of NXT material. I think she will be ok. Unless there's massive blood letting.

The cuts seem to be upper management focused.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I think Brie is getting pretty decent on the mic, and the crowd reacts to her segments with Stephanie at least so that's something

brie is totally serviceable on the mic, she's come a long way since "ha, good one nikki :geno:"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Bring back the Hot Topic pants Roman. Don't let the people hurt your feelings.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Cardboard Box posted:

brie is totally serviceable on the mic, she's come a long way since "ha, good one nikki :geno:"

On the other hand, "AAAAAA it's TheDemonKane AAAAAA"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Scott Steiner is the surprising voice of reason:

Big Poppa Pump posted:

The ‘PG era’ blows. The best time in wrestling was with the nWo and the Monday Night War between WCW and WWE. You had competition. Now there is no competition. I feel bad for the guys and the wrestlers coming up now. They are slotted into a character that sometimes they can’t even do. Most of the time it’s bullshit, and it sucks. I wouldn’t want to do it. You have a stupid character to do, but if you don’t do it, you don’t have a job …

You need competition for a business to truly thrive. Look at Vince [McMahon's] numbers since he bought WCW. Then again he just lost like $400 million, projected to lose $50 million this year. So you couldn’t predict that after he bought WCW and doing 5’s and 6’s on the ratings scale.

And.

quote:

All the social media and other things, a lot of it is bullshit. It doesn’t mean you’re going to draw or people are going to see you. You look at Charlie Sheen and then how many Twitter followers he had there and on Facebook. Then he tried to capitalize on it with a tour, and nobody came to watch him. Just because you have Twitter followers and Facebook doesn’t mean a whole lot and [doesn't mean] people are going to pay to see you. A lot of that is misjudged. Just because you have people on their phone or Internet doesn’t mean they are going to pay. Same for the Network. I think they misjudged the popularity of it.

I simply can't imagine Steiner saying any of that. There's not enough madness there. I don't think he's quite right that the Attitude Era was the best era, but he's right in that competition prevents WWE from taking the easy road and being safe.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DrVenkman posted:

And.

I simply can't imagine Steiner saying any of that. There's not enough madness there. I don't think he's quite right that the Attitude Era was the best era, but he's right in that competition prevents WWE from taking the easy road and being safe.

You gotta read the rest of the interview where he snaps back into character.

quote:

“Do I look like a little kid to you? Comic books are a big thing. I looked at them when I was a kid. I’m not a kid anymore, so I kind of grew out of that phase,” he said. “There is obviously a place for them because the movies do so good. The ‘S’ is because my freaks realized they weren’t with a normal man but a Superman. That’s why they called me the “Big Bad Booty Daddy.”

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Someone please tell Scott Steiner that WCW was PG

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

And.

He's hardly saying anything insightfuul that hasn't been regurgitated a million times for the last 5-10 years. He's mostly right, but this isn't some amazing revelation no one else has thought to bring up. However I agree with all of your assessment of what he said, right down to agreeing that I think the Attitude Era as a whole gets romanticized to a really goddamn irritating degree.

I WATCHED the Attitude Era. Live. It's partly what got me hooked on wrestling. But I think in every way but the most important ones (mostly writing, actually) it's largely better now. If you take the entirety of modern WWE and just shift it to more Attitude Era rules on scripting promos and I bet it'd be a billion times better.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

He's also right because if two shows are going against each other, when something bad is happening on one show you can flip to the other, so you get to see the best hours possible instead of going 'ugh just finish this segment already'.

Plus of course that competition inherently benefits the workers.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 29, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Someone please tell Scott Steiner that WCW was PG

Scott Steiner promos sure weren't PG haha

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Scott Steiner promos sure weren't PG haha

And he got suspended for them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He's hardly saying anything insightfuul that hasn't been regurgitated a million times for the last 5-10 years. He's mostly right, but this isn't some amazing revelation no one else has thought to bring up. However I agree with all of your assessment of what he said, right down to agreeing that I think the Attitude Era as a whole gets romanticized to a really goddamn irritating degree.

I WATCHED the Attitude Era. Live. It's partly what got me hooked on wrestling. But I think in every way but the most important ones (mostly writing, actually) it's largely better now. If you take the entirety of modern WWE and just shift it to more Attitude Era rules on scripting promos and I bet it'd be a billion times better.

Oh no of course, I'm not saying he has anything new to say. It's just funny to see The Big Bad Booty Daddy do it while he momentarily slips out of character. I'm going through the attitude era again and while there's some unabashed abandon to it (Like a coked up Shane O'Mac on the Wrestlemania Rage Party) it's also sadly some real ugly stuff there. The 'Women as gently caress objects' thing was at its height (Conversely while having a decent women's division) and they were pulling bullshit like giving birth to a hand.

What I do like though is that there was a willingness to try new ideas that's missing now. Yes quality control went down and it's definitely a product of its time, but there was an attitude (get it) of 'gently caress it, lets try it' that's missing now. Yes the overall writing is better now, but it's all sterile and overwritten and there's little freedom afforded to the wrestlers.

• Locked thread