Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBX posted:

Goddammit John when you cut these excellent promos it makes it hard to complain about you online.

Don't worry, his 13 botches in his match with Cesaro caused by trying to prove he's actually a good wrestler and doing sloppy, over ambitious poo poo keeps my hate for him burning full force. Promo was good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Big Dave spitting the real. Cena embarrassed and exposed himself because of his hubris.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Roman Reigns push is stupid because there shouldn't be a defined "top guy". WWE is always at its worst when they're trying to shove some muscle bound putz down people's throats (Hogan, Diesel, 2003ish HHH, Cena) and is always at it's best when there a group of equals on top (attitude era, smackdown six, any time in the past few years Cena has been hurt).

Cesaro, Rollins, Bryan, Wyatt, Ambrose, Ziggler, Reigns, etc.. can all share the top of the card if WWE stops insisting on building their programming around one person.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

Please don't tell me they're planning to turn Orton again. Big mistake if they do. He's a cold heel, but he's basically the full-time top heel. His face upside is low right now, and it'll be even worse in a few months.

He just viciously beat down one of the biggest babyfaces in the company

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

He's always been the weakest of the three and he's arguably getting the biggest push because he has the breakout, crowdpleasing, moves.

No, he's getting pushed because he's a muscleman and has a wrestling lineage which makes him (in their mind and probably in reality) less likely to pull a Brock Lesnar and walk.

Also, Rollins isn't limited on the mic, he's just not a cartoon character. His delivery reminds me a lot of Bret Hart where he plays it straight and has an air of believability to what he says.

And another thing, stop scripting Dean Ambrose. He always overacts when he has time to think about what he's going to say, but he's top notch off the cuff when they don't script him like on the app.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Under the vegetable posted:

I wonder if the Ascension know about the cosmic key?

If they do, I hope it opens up a door to anywhere but WWE because those steampunk nu-metals bore the poo poo out of me.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

That's funny because I'd consider the guys who worked their way up on the indies for years to be the ones more likely to stick around in wrestling

I'm sure they would too. I meant more likely to stick around than full on WWE products like Lesnar was.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I was around for like, 4 years before Cena showed up. Not every single main event push is gonna end up like Cena. In fact it's funny people do all this handwringing when they haven't pushed anybody like this for a decade. What similarities are there between Cena and Roman? They both spout off one liners, then get beat up before hitting their signature spots and winning a lot? Welcome to basically every main event babyface ever.

I'm not saying there's no way he becomes the next Cena, because I could see it, but that doesn't make it an inevitability. It's weird, because if they don't push a guy, it's "THEY DON'T MAKE NEW STARS" and when they do it's "OH GOD CENA 2.0!" I mean, I'd argue Bryan was getting to be Cena-esque in booking before the injury but guess what? That's not a bad thing because that's top babyface booking and it works. It's always worked. People just didn't see it that way because it's Bryan. It's only a bad thing if other would-be stars are getting trampled underfoot, and we are so far away from that point with Reigns unless you posit that every top guy in WWE ever will be like that forevermore, it's silly.

People think its going to happen because not only is it extremely obvious, even guys like Big Dave have explicitly said they've heard that's what's going to happen. And Bryan never got pushed like Cena. He was losing to guys like Wade Barrett before Summerslam and jobbed clean to Wyatt at the Rumble. Wyatt's only other clean PPV win in a singles match is over Kofi on the worst PPV ever, Battleground 2013.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also, it's when they have Cesaro job 8 times in a row even though you can't find anyone that doesn't think he's incredible in the ring, or CM Punk and his WWE title never getting to main event PPVs that people bitch about "not making new stars". And it's when some chump that can't wrestle, sell or talk gets pushed so hard he's eaten one pin in the two years he's been in the company, then people bitch about Cena 2.0.

Like seriously, in two years the guy has been pinned ONCE, in an 11 on 3 handicap match where he took out like 5 guys singlehandedly. And it was only because he was putting over his cousins and it still took a double finisher and both of them to pin him. Yet somehow we're out of line for thinking he's being booked as Cena 2.0?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm talking about his booking as a main eventer. Do you realize Cena lost plenty early in his career before he became God King? And all guys like Dave have said is that they're grooming Reigns to be the next star, not "Roman Reigns has been meeting with John Cena to learn most accurately and fully become The Samoan John Cena. It is said by sources backstage that they're hitting snags with Reignss effectively grinning goofily after calling Orton poopy and presenting wacky photoshops."

Being a top star=/=John Cena, and every company needs a top star. Would a guy like Ambrose be better? Quite possibly but that still doesn't mean Reigns will literally be Cena, nor is there any guarantee that Ambrose and/or Rollins won't break through either.

"Roman Reigns is being groomed by the WWE as the heir apparent to John Cena." - Dave Meltzer

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sprecherscrow posted:

He got pinned in the Elimination Chamber 6-man match against the Wyatts.

True. One legit pinfall loss in two years and it was a multi man match. Still pretty crazy.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This means he is seen as the top guy, not Literally John Cena.

What do you think people mean when they say Cena 2.0? Do you think I thought Roman Reigns was going to skin John Cena and wear him?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, I skimmed this so let me get this right. We have to have Rogers and even then it's more expensive and we don't get anything on demand? This would have been the first time I legally paid every month for WWE programming, but not now. Ill steal the American network like a few friends have. gently caress you WWE/Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ribsauce posted:

Is either Golddust or Stardust hurt? Or are they off for a while? All they are doing are these backstage promos for a month+ now as far as I can tell. I only watch Raw+PPVs and have no idea if they have been on the other shows. Have they?

Idk but keeping guys out of the ring/off TV and cycling them through is a great way to keep people fresh and they should do it more. They've started doing it pretty well with Big Show/Henry/Rey but that's because they're all old as gently caress. The territories were so great because nothing got stale. Everyone came in and out for a reason. There weren't a lot of guys who were just there.

• Locked thread