Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cena's never really arched his back for his hurricarana, so it has always looked wrong. That was a cool match though. The Hulu version definitely cut stuff out (the post-match replay footage gave this away) so I'm wondering if that's why it didn't seem especially botchy to me. I wouldn't think the 90-minute Raw is specifically edited for botches, but I know they trim matches sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The present-day product has all the tools to be a creative success. The saturation of content just makes it hard for them to put it all together in a tight, compelling package. Everything tends to feel spread out and tired, even when the in-ring action is of a higher quality than it's ever been. "Attitude Era writing" certainly has its strong and weak points, but it generally managed to leave the viewer wanting more. That's the main factor that's missing today IMO. There's gotta be a way to evoke that sense of urgency in the programming, even if there isn't another wrestling show on a different channel.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

I assume that this number means that Wrestlemania definitely won't be on the Network next year.
This way of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. Presumably, Wrestlemania has a built-in audience, and of that audience you have a set of people who aren't interested enough to stick with the product year-round. Despite the investor panic, nothing has really happened to damage that audience. If those people continue to buy Wrestlemania on traditional PPV, how does that hurt WWE? I'm sure Vince would rather convert them to Network subscribers, but that's still some traditional PPV revenue that he hasn't lost.

So what if you drop Wrestlemania from the Network? That fairweather section of the audience is unfazed because they were sticking to the traditional model anyway, and now you've just alienated your actual subscribers and killed much of the appeal for people who were on the fence.

I don't get it. People keep saying that the Network might have to drop Wrestlemania, but I really don't understand what the upside of that would be for WWE.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 31, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Deadpool posted:

Major points from the call

quote:

Domestic attendance up 11% up for the quarter, 3rd quarter in a row.
TV ratings up: Raw 5%, Smackdown 3%
700,000 Network subscribers a "strong base to build on" per McMahon.
They are making the Network globally available OTT in 170 countries starting 8/12 (Australia, France, Mexico, UK in October, Germany later)
They announced a 10-year agreement with Rogers Communications, a combination of core programming (RAW, Smackdown) in conjunction with the Network. They will make it as a premium channel very similar to HBO.
They plans to increase their 2015 outlook by 30% million by reducing staffing by 7%.
In Q2, they saw 161,000 gross new subscribers, 33k net new.
They found 91% access the Network once a week using an average of 2.5 devices.
Saiid 90% of subscribers surveyed identified themselves as extremely/somewhat satisfied.
They are "very pleased" with the Network's performance.
They have a 5-part plan to grow the Network: new geographic areas, new content, expanding the distribution platform, new features, and a 'high impact' acquisition and marketing initiatives.
Over time, they will localize the WWE Network in various countries as appropriate.
They are launching the Network on several smart TVs soon.
They are adding a 'Resume Play' option soon.
They had $19.4 million in network revenue offset by $13.2 million decline in PPV.

More here: http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/38244-wwe-q2-earnings-call-live-blog-network-numbers-more
TNA library purchase confirmed

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The Network as it is in the US will come to Canada in that form eventually, but Rogers will have the right to sell ads on it.
So sounds like it'll end up similar to how HBO Go is set up in the U.S.? A service with its own subscription, but you need login credentials with a supported cable/satellite provider to sign in to it? Annoying, but at least its comparable to other services on the market.

A possible benefit of this Canada deal is that they may put more effort into the programming of the live stream. Well, hopefully the way they insert commercials is simple enough so that they can mostly use the same stream everywhere. If they just stick 'em where the Vault segments usually go I'd imagine they could keep most everything else the same.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Re: Bryan in the Royal Rumble

If he's not gonna be wrestling for the title at Wrestlemania, they can just put him in the Rumble match, have a heel eliminate him, and then the heat gets directed toward that heel rather than the product itself. Theoretically this avoids fan revolt and gets people invested in a feud instead.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

weekly font posted:

I'm sad I missed this conversation because I had a recent discussion with a friend of mine who is a psychologist and we agreed there has to be a huge amount of people around my age (28) who were going through puberty during the most watched time in wrestling. Some of them HAD to sexually imprint on some of the weird poo poo that was going on at that time. There's probably more people with Stinkface fetishes than posts in this thread. Fuckin' wrestling, man.
I once googled myself and found a YouTube fetish playlist with one of my small-time indy wrestling clips on it. Quite the :stare: moment as I slowly backed away from my laptop.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Something's been nagging me in the back of my mind. I finally went through the WWE intro video ("Then, Now, Forever") real slowly to pick everybody out:

- John Cena
- Andre The Giant
- Triple H
- The Rock
- someone in black & white (Buddy Rodgers?)
- Undertaker
- Vince Senior
- Austin
- Heenan & Monsoon
- Kane (formerly CM Punk)
- Chris Jericho
- David Otunga
- Sheamus
- Trish Stratus
- Randy Orton
- Cena again lol
- Shawn Michaels
- Big Show
- Ric Flair
- Bret Hart

What's going on there.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Otunga is still with WWE.

*Edit* I'm surprised that Bruno and Hogan aren't in there now that both are working with WWE again.
Yeah exactly, like sure he's employed, but it's weird to me that they pulled 20 figures across the entirety of pro wrestling history and Otunga's one of them. He's even in one of the longer, lingering shots, before they get down to Hart/Flair/etc. and everything is going super fast.

• Locked thread