Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Frankston posted:

Who is Jamie Noble?

Former ROH star who also had runs in WWE and WCW, played a hilarious flippydoo redneck while in WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I don't know that I've ever heard Jamie Noble described as a ROH star first and foremost.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, I just always thought of him as a WCW guy since that's where I saw him first. He didn't really get a character until WWE though.

Just the first thought that popped into my head. I watched his title match against Bryan the other day, so that's probably why.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd wear the Reigns one but the Ambrose one is boring, which an Ambrose product should never be.

The Brie Mode shirt is perfect for your next wine and cheese tasting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kane

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

In all, the issue that I (and I assume most others) have is that they are determined to constantly put all eggs in one basket and then restarting from scratch if that doesn't work as opposed to trying to get four guys over and seeing which one organically reaches the level they want another person to reach. This all goes back to them wanting to tell the crowd how to feel as opposed to gauging the crowd's interests and responding appropriately.

These complaints will usually come from people who were around when Cena came in, and can see the similarities. Cena was a guy that people organically came to like because of his gimmick and was then shoved down our throats for years, especially post-Marine when he ditched any semblance of the edgy rapper stuff people liked. It's too easy to see Roman going this same route and being diluted, while also being shoehorned into bad comedy angles because that's what a top WWE guy is now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Delsaber posted:

Even if the WWE owned half the planet Kurt would still need to pass the physical.

He's not coming back to wrestle. He's just not. At the most he'd be a GM and a HOF inductee.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Haha wait a minute, we're not getting WWE Network legitimately in Canada?

So is this pay-tv channel just the live stream from the Network? Hahaha Rogers sucks so much.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah seriously, I can't even imagine. I'll be very curious to get more details on this. I wonder if they'll limit online subscribers to Rogers customers.

Glad I signed up ages ago with Unblock US.

gently caress Rogers

I guess it could be good if you're already a Rogers customer and have no interest in any of the on-demand stuff on the Network (what's the point though) since you won't be eating into their ludicrous bandwidth caps. Everyone else is boned though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Which caps the subscriber base at around 600K for half the year and 400K for the rest. Let's figure the recent peak Rumble and Summerslam buys are an accurate estimate of the number of people willing to pay anything for WWE outside of Mania.

I'm assuming that the 'one time cost' will now be a year commitment rather than six months, otherwise that's not a new plan at all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Can you already pay $60 at once? It's not a new plan by human standards, but 60x1 is distinct from 10x6 for corporate purposes.

Ah actually that's true, I guess you can't do $60 upfront. I always wondered why they didn't do that rather than taking ten bucks each month.

Paulocaust posted:

Wait, I skimmed this so let me get this right. We have to have Rogers and even then it's more expensive and we don't get anything on demand? This would have been the first time I legally paid every month for WWE programming, but not now. Ill steal the American network like a few friends have. gently caress you WWE/Rogers.

That's how I read it too and it makes sense because it's the most bonetown anti-customer move that one could make and that's basically Rogers corporate mantra.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

That 409,000 number is a six-month average for the purposes of the report so isn't it basically factoring in two months of zero?

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

For my fellow Canadians, this press release clarifies things a bit:

So the channel may be offered even if you don't have Rogers.

For example, I have Bell-Alliant FibreOP, but I still have a package that includes Sportsnet and Sportsnet 360, stations owned and distributed by Rogers. Likewise, TSN is owned by Bell, but my parents, who have Rogers cable, get TSN. Rogers will distribute WWE Network to other cable providers. If I can get a 24/7 wrestling channel for ten bux a month and I can PVR poo poo I am happy.

That still doesn't seem like we're getting anything like what the US (and presumably elsewhere) has. You'll get the live stream and some kind of on-demand content, but unless Rogers completely overhauls the way they deliver on-demand content, no way will you get the giant library of PPV's and other shows that the Network currently offers in the States. Maybe you'll get a handful of random content each month on top of the livestream.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

You could cancel if you signed up with Paypal. Which I guess 128,000 people did.

This thing is so hosed.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm reading between the lines here but the skirting of questions and the lack of action against it makes me think the Paypal loophole is the primary factor in the cancellations.

Anyone who signed up internationally overwhelmingly used Paypal since it's much easier than using a US credit card.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's like 70% of the forum going :supaburn:THE STOOGES ARE IN THE ENCLOSED POOL AREA:supaburn: right now though.

It's a combination of a small number of people legitimately making that claim and a larger number of people joking about the bad number, as well as you being very oversensitive to these two groups.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I seriously hope some of the 60 employees that were booted from WWE were the ones that came up with both the initial projections for the Network and the projections for their TV deals, because those people cost WWE some serious money.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

How much would it discourage regular signups if signing up via Paypal required the $60 up front? That seems like a reasonable way to get around people using it for $10 mania, if that's what the numbers are showing.

Isn't that how it is now?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Those numbers were so outrageous you'd have to fire almost everybody because every individual at the top of that food chain should've immediately been like "what the gently caress is this"

For sure, but someone pulled those numbers clear out the air to begin with, knowing that the McMahons would be at full-mast when they saw them. When you consider Dave's repeated claim that very few people actually know the numbers for the Network, I get the impression that a lot of left hands in WWE don't know what the right is doing at the corporate level.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 31, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

No, I'm month to month via paypal.

You're right and this is the second time I've made this mistake in the last two hours. I'm real dumb, considering I'm on this very plan. I guess I just considered that $60 sunk as soon as I subscribed, even though they are debiting it $10 at a time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Foochs after he reads this post.

Maybe if he'd been a little more positive about the company in general instead of hating on Roman Reigns, none of this carnage would be happening right now. Makes you think.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I guess maybe I'm not picking up on some people who might make jokey jokes, and I will own up right now, I'm trying to find reasons to be positive because I fuckin' love the Network and don't want to see it die. I may very well be grasping at straws about Old Yeller, and if that's the case and it's annoying to read then my bad, it's just THAT'S WHAT I DO [/Henry].

Hey man, we'll always have the Streak.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Holy christ what do they have to cut to make 500K the break-even point?? Does all of NXT get flushed? IS BAYLEY SAFE??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was watching an episode of NXT the other day and between all the plugging of Summerslam and other programming, I couldn't help but think "what this needs is some of Rogers lovely-rear end ads with the dumbass trying to get a wifi signal in the woods or whatever"

• Locked thread