Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Dave is a good news source but when it comes to his reviews and what he did/didn't like I very often disagree with him. The Cena/Cesaro match was great and if he had a problem with it then whatever. Not gonna affect my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I specifically remember "Every RAW. Every Nitro." being told to reporters at the initial unveiling.

No that was never said by anyone officially. Only rumors before the Network announcement.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is an actual officially made WWE video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLWQNsIr_Q

:stare:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So are we saying that ~670,000 was with ~140,000 trial users that didn't actually pay? And the new ~700,000 figure is without those counted so it's actually about ~170,000 new subscribers since the last number? Now the interesting point is whether that counts trial only subscribers from this period.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

So accounting for the cancellations they got like 160k signups over the 3 month period? How does that compare to how many domestic PPV buys they got over the same period last year?

That's not really a good thing to compare at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Major points from the call

quote:

Domestic attendance up 11% up for the quarter, 3rd quarter in a row.
TV ratings up: Raw 5%, Smackdown 3%
700,000 Network subscribers a "strong base to build on" per McMahon.
They are making the Network globally available OTT in 170 countries starting 8/12 (Australia, France, Mexico, UK in October, Germany later)
They announced a 10-year agreement with Rogers Communications, a combination of core programming (RAW, Smackdown) in conjunction with the Network. They will make it as a premium channel very similar to HBO.
They plans to increase their 2015 outlook by 30% million by reducing staffing by 7%.
In Q2, they saw 161,000 gross new subscribers, 33k net new.
They found 91% access the Network once a week using an average of 2.5 devices.
Saiid 90% of subscribers surveyed identified themselves as extremely/somewhat satisfied.
They are "very pleased" with the Network's performance.
They have a 5-part plan to grow the Network: new geographic areas, new content, expanding the distribution platform, new features, and a 'high impact' acquistion and marketing initiatives.
Over time, they will localize the WWE Network in various countries as appropriate.
They are launching the Network on several smart TVs soon.
They are adding a 'Resume Play' option soon.
They had $19.4 million in network revenue offset by $13.2 million decline in PPV.

More here: http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/38244-wwe-q2-earnings-call-live-blog-network-numbers-more

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EugeneJ posted:

Question of the Week - Which dies first: TNA or the WWE Network?

Foochs after he reads this post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Interesting note from Big Dave

quote:

The cutbacks are so significant that they now feel they can break even on 500,000 subscribers in 2015 as opposed to 1.4 million subscribers and at 1.5 million subscribers they will have OIBDA of $100 million to $120 million, which is more than they had pre-network.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is wonderful. I posted it earlier in the thread but of course it got lost due to Network chat. People really need to see it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shows like Countdown or Wrestlemania Rewind or Monday Night War would cost like nothing to make. Shows like Legends House or Tough Enough would. You'll be see more of the former and less of the latter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the update on Canada from Dave

quote:

Regarding Canada and the Rogers deal, an update from our audio is that there will be no Internet component of the WWE network in Canada at first. It will be strictly a television station distributed by Rogers. It will be available through Rogers cable. Other cable providers in Canada will have it offered and will have to go through Rogers for the fights. The live stream will air the same as everywhere else. There will be a video-on-demand component but it have less content that the streaming network library. Exactly what will be available is not known yet. The plan is to introduce the network on the Internet at some point in 2015.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The337th posted:

I didn't notice anyone else bring this up from the notes today, but this

seems high enough to point towards the speculation of significant amounts of account sharing. Unless I'm vastly underestimating the majority of Network users either watching in multiple rooms, or while at work/away from home that just seems like it should be the high end and not an average.

I use more than one device every week easily. Computer and iPad for sure and occasionally my phone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

D Lambent posted:

I'm not sure if this has been covered completely, but when is a reasonable ETA for all of the Nitros and Thunders to be added to the Network?

Also, for someone who is just now getting back into wrestling, how much old school content is available ON DEMAND on the Network? Can I go watch RAW from March 3rd, 1997 whenever I want to? Can I go back and watch Dreamer v. Sandman in August of 94? I'm seriously considering going with the Network instead of watching poo poo through sketchy means but if there isn't a complete, chronological library that spans the late 80's to right friggin' now, I really don't see the point.

I'm assuming this is everyone's catch up, just stating my peace.

Everything points to Nitro/Thunder being posted just like Raw is now. Starting chronologically and adding new episodes every day/week. Raw started at 1993 when the Network started and a new episode has been added almost every day since. We're in mid 1995 now. The thought is that once we hit the same showings as when Nitro was on we'll see Nitros start going up at the same time. But that's just speculation right now.

They also have a Best of Raw and Best of Smackdown show that airs some of the greatest episodes randomly.

Cardboard Box posted:

nope, and it's the biggest problem with the Network right now. they have every WWE, WCW, and ECW pay-per-view up and they're adding episodes of ECW Hardcore TV and Raw from the early 90s but they skip episodes and release them out of order and it's generally a mess.

Well they skip around on the ECW stuff some. The Raws are thus far complete and in order, except for the Best of showings.

D Lambent posted:

So it looks like Nitros will start to be added within the next few months. Really tempting to go with the Network now, in time for Summerslam, and pray that more WCW content is added soon.

It sounds like a complete dream but I can see it not being handled the right way. I can see them cutting episodes or certain things they don't want anyone to remember. This is my problem with the organization as it is: Even if your history isn't pretty, it's still history. Have they cut any of Benoit's stuff out of the PPV's or anything yet? Just seems like something they would do.

Everything so far is uncut with a few exceptions. Music has been edited due to music rights. That's unavoidable. There are a few things where the home video release or old 24/7 was uploaded just to get the content up while the original was being digitized. A lot of the ECW stuff was like this at first. Most of those have already been fixed now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 1, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Raw and Smackdown will never ever ever ever ever be live on the Network. Unless cable television completely goes away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

D Lambent posted:

Not a deal breaker and I'm not looking for them to make a tribute to him because he ended up being a psychopathic, brain damaged loving nutjob, but what benefit is there to editing out references towards him re: Network content? I'm surprised they kept him in any of the content at all, though.

Because while you don't hide the fact that one of your wrestlers was a psychopath that murdered his family you also don't advertise that fact.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Slate Randall is Shaun Ricker, right?

Yeah, that's a shame. I like him from what I've seen. He was on The Rock's reality show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm going to agree with someone who earlier in the thread talked about Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy. I just saw the movie. It was pretty much great and he's one of, if not the, best parts of it. The Leviathan done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dean Ambrose's theme is as good as Cesaro's is bad.

• Locked thread