Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
This thread is about shoot-em-ups, or shmups if you're nasty.

Let's Play? Let's Try? Let's All Play? YES!

The only rule on what videos can be posted here is that it must be at least tangentially shmup related. We're here to learn about and play cool, interesting shmups. If you'd like to post a stream of you playing shmups, go nuts. Hell, if you're streaming a new one and you just wanna link your stream (a la the stream thread), use this one too! If you'd like to post trying out a new shmup, feel free. If you'd like to show us a full playthrough of a favorite, the world is your oyster. If someone does a "Let's Try" of a game, and you want to do the full LP, don't let me stop you. Hell if someone posts a cool looking game and all you want to do is try it yourself, record it and go to town!

The only rules are your imagination and also forum rules and what the mods say and all.

2007 Rules Almost Apply

We're here to have fun, it's not a huge deal.

The only criteria I'd have is that there are no deal-breakers (i.e. something that makes the video hard to watch.) Accidentally crop out the score? Your audio is tinny, but not annoyingly so? That's okay. Just dodge them bullets. Or absorb 'em! Whatever!

Look to this post and the subsequent for videos and let's all enjoy shoot-em-ups!

Do I Have To Be Good?

Pfft, I suck at these things. In short, your rule of thumb is "is this video interesting or entertaining on some level?" If you spend the first minute or so exploding, but it showcases the game's difficulty (or is funny to laugh at), that's fine. I guess "don't be lazy" is the only thing.

Samidare, FrickenMoron
Summary: Samidare is a game I've had for a long time, it's a pretty fun if very short shmup where you don't have any kind of bombs, but instead a recharging shield that protects you against all damage and absorbs shots a high powered attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAx80Aj7ZEQ

Astebreed (Let's Try, slowbeef with decafdeliquent, AndyAML, Antlion Alpha, Geop)
Summary: I was gifted this perspective-changing shoot-em-up on Steam, and it's kinda awesome! I clipped the video a little early in the hopes of encouraging you to play it for yourself. Top-down? Horizontal? On-rails a la Starfox? Einhander vibe? All of the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpLQwSHq40

Luftrauser, Niggurath
Summary: Released back in March, Luftrauser presents a retro aesthetic with some physics based shooting mechanics with some interesting customization to combine down into a fun arcade shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv58FFvZK-w

Silpheed (Let's Play, Guava Moment)
Summary: Silpheed on the Sega CD is also a fairly decent shmup worth checking out, and Game Arts somehow managed to fill the whole game with full-screen FMV footage that doesn't look like heavily compressed garbage. It honestly looks pretty impressive in motion (and for a Sega CD game that's saying something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UkGKZNMrNE

Beat Hazard (One Off, SourceElement - No Commentary) :siren: Epilepsy Warning! :siren:
Summary: Unlike other twin stick shooters, Beat Hazard's levels are all generated on the fly. The game also uses your own music library to generate the stage hazards. You can also choose the ships you fly in each level, with full workshop support to create your own ships. I'm using the Vic Viper from Gradius here. There's no commentary because there's really not a lot to say about a randomly generated shoot 'em up level. So just sit back and enjoy the music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtzW_iWLdWE

Shoot the Bullet, Hyper Crab Tank
Summary: Shoot the Bullet is a... different bullet hell game where you don't actually fire bullets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4OzokB8xk

Thunder Force 3, The Silent Hulk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVm6Rvm5AI

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Let's Show Off - For one-offs of games you've played or blind videos of games you're trying.
Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender, bathroomrage
Astebreed, slowbeef
Beat Hazard, Source Element - :siren: Epilepsy Warning! :siren:
Blast Works, Fawf
Cho Ren Sha, AndyAML
Crimzon Clover, Smash Daisaku
eXceed 3rd Jade Penetration Black Package, slowbeef
Hellsinker, slowbeef
Infinity Danger, MarkSoupial
Luftrausers, Niggurath
Pocket Ray: A New Hope, Drastic Actions
Psyche Metal, slowbeef w/ Tie Tuesday, TripleWipe45
Raptor, AnniEhilated
Samidare, FrickenMoron
Shoot The Bullet, Hyper Crab Tank
Sub Burner, Prenton
Symphony, Interrupter Jones; Rite of Spring Cut Full
Twinbee, Obeast
Twinkle Star Sprites, ChorpSaway
Warning Forever, IGgy IGsen

Full Let's Plays
Amnios, Libluini 1 2 3
Jamestown, Highwang: 1 2 3 4 5
Pocky and Rocky, Zain 1
R-Type Delta, Dectilon 1
Silpheed, Guava Moment - Videos: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thunder Force 3, The Silent Hulk - Videos: 1 2 3
Velocity, Fragger 1-10

Expert Plays
Espgaldua (1cc, scoring), Jaimers
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, Jaimers
Strikers 1999/1945 III, Jaimers; No Miss
Hellsinker (done right), Reive

:siren: GRADIUS :siren:
Gradius (NES), Freezing Inferno w/ Final Gamer

A Shmup Glossary for those of you who can't decide between STGs, Manic Shooters, Bullet Hells, and Danmakus.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's a fair point, actually. Okay then, here's a brief glossary of the most common terms and phrases you're likely to encounter in this thread. If anything needs further clarification or adding, let me know.

Shmup: short for 'shoot-em-up', a genre consisting of One Lone Ship auto-scrolling forth against endless armies of increasingly complex and elaborate death machines. Pronounced the way it looks. Also known as 'shooters'.

Danmaku: also known as 'bullet hell' or 'curtain shooter', this is a game/genre that is typified by complex patterns of bullets that the player has to weave between while firing back. The word 'danmaku' means 'barrage'.

Vertical shooters: Played top-down with the playfield scrolling from top to bottom. Classic vertical shooters include Raiden, the 194X series and TwinBee. Most bullet hells/danmaku games are vertical shooters, but not all vertical shooters are bullet hells.

Horizontal shooters: A side-view game, where the playfield scrolls from right to left (and sometimes the other way if the designers are feeling sadistic). Generally seen as being slower-paced and more methodical than their counterparts, these tend to be more about surviving waves of enemies, rather than waves of bullets. The genre is typified by games like R-Type, Gradius and Darius.

Touhou: the series that most people think of when they think of bullet hells. Created by a one-man programming team known as Team Shanghai Alice (Or ZUN, as the guy himself is known), the Touhou series arguably revitalized the genre in the eyes of the general public. The series has spawned enough fanwork and fan-made games to fill the Mariana Trench. Basically a Big Deal.

Cave: The other company folks think of when it comes to shmups, Cave are responsible for most of the major shmups of the last decade or so, with games such as the DoDonPachi series, Deathsmiles, Mishihimesama and Ibara. Also dabbled in the MMO market with the Shin Megami Tensei game IMAGINE Online.

Doujin shooters: games made by amateur teams, rather than professional companies, usually sold at Comiket (SDCC for amateur/fan manga artists/writers, programmers, etc). Games are usually limited print runs, only sold at Comiket, but word of mouth (and :filez:) typically helps raise their profile. More than a few large franchises, such as Touhou, have started this way. More and more are steadily making their way West via digital distribution, and several, such as Crimzon Clover, have made their way onto Steam.

Top Screen: the top 20/30% of the playfield. Most high-level players will spend much of their time here, letting them kill enemies, chain combos and look pro as hell with ease.

1CC: One Credit Clear - finishing the game on a single continue/credit. Often a requirement for seeing the secret boss(es)/true final level in modern games.

Loop: When you finish the final stage of a game, many go back to the first stage again, this time on a harder difficulty. Sometimes this only occurs if you've met certain criteria, such as not losing any lives or using any bombs. Again, this is often a requirement for seeing the full game. Also known from the first loop onwards as the 'Ura' loop.

True Boss: a super-secret final boss that usually requires the player to go through an absurd number of hoops to see, let alone defeat. Many players don't consider a game 'beat' until you kill the True Final Boss.

Hitbox: consisting of a handful of pixels, this is the actual part of your sprite that takes damage. Bullets can appear to pass through your ship, but cause no damage until they collide with the hitbox. In modern games, the hitbox is clearly denoted in the very centre of your craft, letting you clearly see judge your room for manoever. In horizontal shooters, this is typically the canopy of your craft.

Bullets: refers to the shots being fired at you, not your own, often in nice, clear neon colours. 90% of the shots on any given screen won't affect you, something that many new players forget or don't realise, leading to many panicked deaths.

Suicide bullet: bullets fired out when an enemy dies. Often the prelude to death for the unsuspecting. Also known as 'revenge bullets'.

Pattern: the way enemy bullets are fired in in bullet hell-style games. Patterns are usually fixed, rather than random, allowing players to learn and eventually weave through these patterns. Touhou games are especially famous for their bullet patterns.

Bomb: your smartbomb. Clears the screen of enemies and often bullets. Usually your only form of defence, it's sometimes the only way to progress without losing a life, also known as 'panic bombing'. Some games will let you expend a bomb when hit ('autobomb'), rather than dying automatically, but this often comes at a penalty, usually to your score multiplier, sometimes locking you out of additional content entirely.

Chain: a method of scoring that increases a score multiplier. This can take the form of constantly destroying enemies or picking up tokens left after killing enemies.

Rank: Occasionally referred to as 'grade', this is a form of dynamic difficulty that reacts to how well the player is doing. Typically, the better the player does, the harder the game gets. Rank can also decrease if the player dies or performs badly. Rank is usually a hidden mechanic, but some games include a visible counter, allowing the player to manipulate it more directly.

Grazing: another scoring method, this relies on the player getting as close as they can to bullets, so that they 'graze' the ship's sprite. Not for the faint of heart as the game encourages what would be suicidal behaviour in most other games.

Milking: deliberately procrastinating on a boss or mini-boss to further increase your score or multiplier. This can be by destroying additional parts of the boss, killing minions or missiles, etc.

Popcorn: typical enemies that die in a single hit, occasionally tossing a bullet your way. No real threat (death will more commonly come at a bullet than a collision), they only exist to increase your score.

Score: The be-all and end-all of your game. This is what you're here for. In all games, the bigger your score, the more attractive you will appear to members of your preferred sexuality and the bigger your penis gets. Even if you're a girl. Typically features enough digits to only be expressed in mathematical notation, and that's if you're not even good at the game.

Easy Mode: Seriously. Don't do it.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 23, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also if you'd like to recommend some that you yourself don't have time to play, let us know - sell us on it with screens, etc. and maybe someone will check it out and make some cool videos. Or at least play cool shoot-em-ups. (But obviously, it's preferred to show, not tell.)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Volt Catfish posted:

slowbeef will you ban me have me banned if I post Touhou

No, sir, I will not report you. I'm planning on posting eXceed 3rd which is kinda like Capcom's take on Touhou.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
:siren: To be clear :siren:

You do not have to have much shmup experience, or even be very good, to contribute. I'd really love to see some first time videos too. HelloWinter joined an Ikaruga stream I did and ended up loving the game's visuals, so experiences like that are more than welcome.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Something tells me that I might give away which shmup I'm thinking of doing by asking this, but... by any chance, is there a goon fluent in German who'd be able to translate some things for me?

I have a guess that the translation is here.

Before Lv.1:
"Achtung, Einhander kommt! Drei Sekunden bis Kontakt..."
Translation:
"Warning, Einhander approaching! Three seconds until contact..."

(If that'll suffice, I'll edit this if you want to keep it unspoiled. Looking forward to it!)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Smash Daisaku posted:

As if I needed any more motivation to work on my Crimzon Clover high score run. I hope to have a good score attack vid to show off at some point!

You know, I've done multiplayer style videos with single-player shmups before a la Hydorah (it's basically a race video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpByyUMs20

Maybe we could get a multi-stream going with 2-4 other folks and do an elimination style Boost/Arcade/Unlimited Mode thing. Cropping out the UI could make a cool, horizontally oriented video. What's the horizontal resolution of the game screen itself?

I love Crimzon Clover, by the by.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

AndyAML posted:

I'd be really interested in doing a Crimzon Clover endurance run. Would we be playing for score or survival?

uhhh

I don't know. I think survival's more interesting for the uninitiated, but Time Attack would make for a more "even" stream. Maybe Time Attack with a death count?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Smash, Andy, you around this week? I'm effinslowbeef on Skype or @slowbeef on Twitter. I'm not 100% I can do it tonight, but maybe we can coordinate tech stuff, etc.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I watched that stream and her reactions were a joy to behold: I don't think a single minute went by without her being surprised or excited by something happening.

I know! I wanted to post it, it's just I did really loving bad. I should've practiced more, but it was a stream and I really wanted to play Ikaruga...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SourceElement posted:

I'm gonna show off some Beat Hazard. Unlike other twin stick shooters, Beat Hazard's levels are all generated on the fly. The game also uses your own music library to generate the stage hazards. You can also choose the ships you fly in each level, with full workshop support to create your own ships. I'm using the Vic Viper from Gradius here.

There's no commentary because there's really not a lot to say about a randomly generated shoot 'em up level. So just sit back and enjoy the music!

Beat Hazard: Perturbator - Electric Dreams

Oh and I want to warn that this game starts off with a gigantic warning about photosensitivity and potentially siezure-inducing graphics. I've turned the effects down as far as they'll go -- which makes the game actually playable -- but if you're epileptic, you probably shouldn't watch the video.

Added to the OP. Thinking of keeping a top 5-10 (most recent? popular?) embedded video thing in the OP, with the full list in the second post.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

drifterofhell posted:

Well according to steam Metal Slug 3 is a shmup, so would it be fine to do a coop run through for the thread?

Uh...

I mean to be honest, I was kinda more interested in the flying shmups. But tell you what, I won't like stop you from posting it or report it or anything, so post away!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

Would showing off some Luftrauser be alright for the thread? I'm not amazing at it but gently caress, do I enjoy that game.

Please do!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I got some poo poo on the Internet for being a little creeped out with the art in Touhou 6 (I know, I know, it's not bad at all) so let's push our luck!

eXceed 3rd Jade Penetration Black Package

Summary: Don't let the anime witch thing turn you off, this is actually a really fun bullet hell! It's harder than Touhou 6, easier than Crimzon Clover, but it keeps the tension high without being crazy overwhelming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi6sVxcaeXk

I like this game a LOT. I think the music is more congruent with a bullet hell game than Touhou, it's more (but not as "ohgodwhatthefuckdoido" as Crimzon Clover) and the bullet patterns are really cool. I'd recommend.

...Okay, now to go through posted videos and update the OP...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Reive posted:

Is it okay to record videos of games already played?
I want to do a Hellsinker episode since that game is kind of complex and I actually know how to play it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Absolutely feel free to play any games already posted. I would definitely be down to see what the hell is going on with Hellsinker.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Are you going to stream that eXceed game again slowbeef? It was pretty good, except the "artwork" for the bosses.

I didn't even mind that too much, second boss nonwithstanding. But yes, I was gonna stream it last night but got too tired. Maybe tonight?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HMS Boromir posted:

I think if you gave another one of them a try and just didn't discuss the anime girls or creepy fans at all (and maybe held Ctrl to skip all the dialogue) you'd enjoy it more and the video wouldn't come out as awkward as the Scarlet Devil one did.

At risk of weird derail, I'll leave it at: I think Touhou's a good game, and if anyone's like me and turned off by the anime girl witch thing, it doesn't get creepy and it's worth looking past that. Especially if you're interested in the bullet hell genre, but turned-off by the "experts only" appearance of it, Touhou 6 is actually a pretty manageable game and a good introduction.

That part aside, eXceed feels more... congruent? to me. Touhou's music was pretty good, but it feels off for some reason. eXceed, the music is kinda awesome, and while the voice acting is a little much, it does kinda work to add a "nonstop goings-on" feeling to things. I guess I'm saying that aesthetically (?), eXceed 3rd seemed to keep things more frenetic than Touhou 6 and I like it. But later Touhous are allegedly better, so maybe I'll give 'em a shot some time.

That said, I still love Crimzon Clover because it's nonstop action and there's really just no time to think at all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if it's because it's not up to the standards or I didn't make the post large enough, but my Raptor video didn't make into the OP. Just nitpickin'.

Sorry, I have to go through the thread again. I did a little bit at work, but didn't get a chance. Soon!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

And I think this version is worth showcasing just to show off how vastly different it is to Black Package. Because it would be easier to say what is NOT different.
Graphics, mechanics, bullet patterns, stage design, pacing it's all different. It's pretty much a completely different game.

One thing that was a little weird is the beginning of that looked like super unmanageable. Kudos on a 1cc of that; it looked like a nightmare.

Is Ultra mode like Lunatic in Touhou? I notice Black Package only goes up to Hard - maybe I have to unlock it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

Or just 1cc I don't remember. There is a secret stage in any case.

I can confirm - I 1cc'ed this on Normal last night and did not unlock Exceed.

Also eXceed 3rd is kinda buggy. I tried to fast forward my 1cc replay and died to the first boss in the replay? That didn't happen, though!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Hey slowbeef, what did you do to deserve that red title?

I think Pins, etc. were playing some game that lets you use your own images and put me in as a goof.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I'll update the OP this weekend, but I wish I'd mentioned my stream here. I played eXceed and Crimzon Clover tonight, but what was cool is that the community manager for Crimzon Clover actually dropped by and shot the poo poo with us.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Psyche Metal: Let's Try (w/ Tie Tuesday, rakugaki otoko, Triplewipe)

Summary: I don't have a lot good to say about Psyche Metal. The aesthetic is kinda neat and reminds me of Splatterhouse meets Shadow of the Beast. But it's Amateur Hour Bullet Hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHGi1RExzs

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 3, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also might stream some bullet hell poo poo in a few:

http://www.twitch.tv/effinslowbeef
Never mind!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 3, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

JamieTheD posted:

:siren::siren: EPILEPSY WARNING (ALSO EYEBALL MELTING WARNING), THIS GAME IS VECTORS THAT GO REAL FAST :siren::siren:

Okay, time for Torus Trooper!

Oh wow, you've convinced me. I'm going to need to pick this up.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not gonna put this in the OP or anything, since it's pretty much just a stream upload, but the community manager behind Crimzon Clover (i.e. one of the publishers, but not the sole developer) came into one of my streams after seeing my "True Last Boss Reaction" video. I got him on Skype and we had a neat conversation about CC and shmups in general if ya'll are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-0tnYoRlQ

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

What? Naw, you might as well. You even set aside space for "other" things and not only is this pretty neat, but it falls into that category.

As a compromise, I'll add it once I've added everything else to the second post.

I want to keep the OP with like sparse embedded videos - sort of like a top 5-10 to sort of show off stuff from the thread. I hope you all don't think it's too vain that I kept Astabreed there - the visual quality of the game was a "good foot forward" I like to think.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Very nice. Next time, can you turn down game audio a smidge? It's certainly not bad, it just started to get on the border of "a little hard to hear the commentary"

But yeah, definitely good stuff. Would like to see more.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

bathroomrage posted:

He also missed my Recca video, but I don't think I blame anyone for missing that eyesore.

I'm dodging these posts like bullets haha I'm a big kidder! - sorry, I keep getting interrupted every time I sit down to do it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Smash Daisaku posted:

Time to finally throw my video of Crimzon Clover: World Ignition into the thread. It's a really great game that you should all buy. This is a no-miss run of Original Novice (Type-II) with a secondary emphasis on scoring.

...Wow. You're #5 on the leaderboards too, right? For like the world?

I want to stream CC with you Smash, but... I am afraid...

Also do you know what the deal is with this message? I've only seen it once and I've 1cc'ed Novice Original with all ships, and Novice Boost with Type 1 and 2.

This was the 4th time I tried CC'ing Novice Original, 1st time with Type 2.

I had died once at this point in the run, so I don't think you get it for No Miss, and it doesn't look like you got it in your video (but I skipped around, so...)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
:siren::siren::siren: CRIMSON CLOVER TRIPLE BREAK MODE :siren::siren::siren:

AndyAML, SmashDaisaku and I are streaming triple Crimzon Clover challenges to each other.

over with

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 8, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

I genuinely do not understand how it is possible to dodge the attack at 31:25. I know a screenshot doesn't help because the pattern shifts, but it is super fast and there seem to be no gaps whatsoever.

(Also to be clear, that's Inbachi, right?)

edit: I mean, wow, the later stuff is nuts but you can at least see how a player is theoretically supposed to do it. But that one attack I just don't get it.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 8, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

bathroomrage posted:

Also Astebreed is really fun but if the anime puts you off you might as well not bother.

I'd actually say it's not that bad. It's like 2 cutscenes - one at the beginning and one at the end. I rolled my eyes a little but eXceed is worse (although you can turn off dialogue so you won't see the anime girls - which is good when playing on the bus/subway).

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

The pattern is aimed and it completely messed up because the player was so close to the boss when it was being shot.
The player still had invulnerability frames from the death so nothing hit him.

Yeah, I saw that player had invincibility. I meant that the way it was presented looked impossible to dodge if they hadn't had hat.

But it being an aimed pattern makes more sense.

Jaimers posted:

For Inbachi you have to beat the game no-miss, no-bomb, get all bees in the game, have a rank of 30 or more and get a hit chain of at least 30,000 hit in stage 5. And on Expert it's rank 40 and 50,000 hits.

Inbachi's first form is doable but the problem is the final form. It's just way too fast and too dense with absolutely no down-time in it to hit her and it goes on forever as she has so much health. It's by far the hardest pattern Cave has ever made.
You can have max resources and still game over not having made a dent in her healthbar.
I personally can't dodge it for more than a second.

I'm not surprised. Is there any sort of practice mode for her? It sounds like even getting to her is a feat in and of itself.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

bathroomrage posted:

Well, it's more that people that would be bothered by anime shouldn't bother because of the constant, neverending anime chatter throughout the game and that that kind of person tends to overreact in the hugest ways.

I mean, to be fair:

Zellus posted:

I guess that explains why Konami thought Otomedius (where you play as anime girl personifications of Gradius ships) was a good idea. The sequel even got a US collector's edition that comes with an embarrassing pillow case.

Astebreed's chatter is also ridiculous because there is no loving way in the world to read those subtitles while you're dodging. But it's easier on the ears than eXceed.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

IGgy IGsen posted:

Right now in the OP what's supposed to link to bathroommage's Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender video actually links to Source Element's Beat Hazard video.

Speaking of Beat Hazard, I made a video as well that's missing from the OP entirely. It also misses some Jamestown videos by Herb Stencil and another LP by Highwang
There's also the Phalanx Videos here
I don't wanna come across as complaining about the lack of a complete op, I just wanna help make it more complete. There might be still more that are missing because surprisingly I didn't just go through the entire thread. I only mentioned and looked for things I happened to remember.

Sorry, I ended up putting a bunch in, but used TextEdit on Mac which inserted smart quotes and mangled the OP - so I spent a bunch of time doing what I could to fix it before I had to get back to work. I'll fix Aqua Kitty and add your stuff as well.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Here's hoping I didn't just throw this thread down the rabbit hole. But, you know, I had to.

Galshell: I Call It Giger Wing
Summary: Body Horror Shmup. This is ... technically work safe (boobs are censored out), but there's a lot of "ew" kinda stuff that I wouldn't want coworkers seeing me watch.

Retrobanner also censored the sequel for me, so expect that somewhat soon. I'd also like to post the ending video, but if you beat me to it, hey!

Thanks to retrobanner for censoring all the source images.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

General Ironicus posted:

Why does the music sound like a jaunty carnival?

This is one of a hundred questions I have for Galshell that I do not have an answer to.

The other series by the same dev we talked about briefly is Yakouga. They recently announced Yakouga 6 which is... work friendlier, but still pretty messed up. Honestly, I feel like these games live and die by their art - Galshell wasn't particularly fun to play; the Yakouga games look ... better, but I'll stick to Crimzon Clover and Dodonpachi for now.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone tell me about "U-shaped bullet herding"? I think I have the gist from the name, but I'm making "shallow bowl" shaped U's. Is it supposed to be as close to an actual capital U?

Like start in the upper left quadrant, move down to herd bullets toward you, slowly move right in an arc, and back up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

Also someone feel free to do Dimahoo because I really cannot stand playing the game.
The nature of the charge shot makes the item drops feel horribly random so getting all ten sets before the stage 4 chests is super annoying.
You'll probably need this.

Is this a shmup where I'm fighting wizards and a stealth bomber?

... I am so down.

• Locked thread