Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
Haven't posted on these forums in years, but this seems like the best place to find the help I need.

Problem description: It started when I decided to build a custom PC. Things got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I was able to fix the issues I had by installing the MB drivers properly and fiddling with the BIOS. I had Windows installed and fully updated, the Wifi was working, and Intel HD graphics worked just fine. But I want to do some serious gaming on this machine. So I turned off and unplugged the system, and installed my new R9-270. Fit it into the PCI-Express slot and plugged in the cable from the power supply, just like I was supposed to. I even went into the BIOS and set the default graphics adapter to PCI-Express. Then I started Windows. It got to the password screen, but I couldn't type in my password or move the cursor. After about half a minute, it restarted without warning, bringing me to the standard "Windows did not shut down properly" screen.

Attempted fixes: I started Windows in Safe Mode with networking. Trying to use the internet caused the system to freeze up and shut down. I then tried Safe Mode withOUT networking. It worked, but I couldn't do much there. I thought about trying to install the drivers for the video card, but Windows won't even detect new devices. So I went to Google for help. I tried various combinations of /variations on "new video card windows crash," but couldn't find anything like my specific problem. I decided to follow the advice from here and tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to clean up any unwanted graphics drivers. (Keep in mind, there shouldn't have been any AMD/NVidia graphics drivers TO uninstall. All I did was plug the card in. But I was desperate for a solution.) I went through the steps outlined in that link, toand restarted the system. Same results, it changed nothing.

So I took out the card, booted up the system again, and switched the default graphics to onboard in the BIOS. But apparently the damage had already been done. Windows still crashes at start, even with onboard video/Intel HD graphics. Somehow, just by plugging that graphics card in, I hosed my system up in a way I don't understand at all.

Recent changes: This is a brand new system. Fresh windows install. Everything was fine until I tried to install that drat graphics card.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Premium (64-bit)

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus H97M-E
Processor: Intel Core i5 4590
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 16GB (4 x 4GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
Optical Drive: Asus BD combo drive
Wireless adapter: Asus PCE-AC56
That drat Video Card: Sapphire Dual-X r9-270

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
You may have corrupted the windows installation with all the crashes. It might be worth running a Ubuntu live USB stick, and seeing what stability is like under that.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
Actually, I decided to skip right to the next step and repaired my Windows installation.* That meant removing all unnecessary peripherals and going through the process of installing drivers all over again. Then a strange thing happened: I installed the wireless adapter, and my monitor started blinking off and on. I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled the wireless adapter, and that fixed the issue. I removed the wireless adapter entirely, and installed the video card. It works perfectly now. So the real culprit was the wireless card, not the video card. I don't know why a wireless card would cause graphical errors and windows crashes. My guess is that it might have been trying to access system resources that were already being used by the graphics adapter. Or something. In any case, the issue is solved now. But I need a new wireless adapter. I'm going to get a USB adapter, see if the problem was the PCIE.

* Why can't I repair a Windows installation with a flash drive? I did the original install with a bootable flash drive, but the Windows restore utility requires a disk. This would be a big problem for a netbook or similar system that doesn't have an optical drive.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You can, if you use the same USB install disk. The installer also has all the features of the recovery disk. I didn't know and wouldn't think you couldn't make a recovery disk the same way as an install disk, though.

• Locked thread