Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Tonetta posted:

Its almost like a wage hike affects the largest business the least, and the smallest businesses the most

Who knew

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/small-businesses-back-minimum-wage-hike/

Who knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

dontcareaboutname posted:

lets just pass a law that says if you are married you get double min wage and your spouse can't legally work, people can quit bitching about making no money and birth rates would probably go up.

You are really dumb lol

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

lets just pass a law that says if you are married you get double min wage and your spouse can't legally work, people can quit bitching about making no money and birth rates would probably go up.

Yes, let's saddle people with lovely incomes and children at the same time, this is a brilliant plan that will have the following benefits:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
hey why don't we all just get medical or engineering degrees. problem solved

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And of course the thing people rarely discuss - higher wages = lower cost of income assistance programs and welfare.

If you were willing to make the naive assumption that Democrats would agree to tax cuts in line with the reduced cost of social welfare spending, it would actually benefit Wal-Mart's bottom line to pay higher wage up front and lower taxes on the back end, because income assistance on the back end also entails a middleman - govt. - and thus economic waste via costs of administration, government inefficiency, etc.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

that's 50 cents per trip, not per item

yeah i phrased that poorly, what i meant is i'd be happy to pay an extra fifty cents on literally every trip i make anywhere for any reason if it was attendant to a minimum wage hike

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lazyfire posted:

Yes, let's saddle people with lovely incomes and children at the same time, this is a brilliant plan that will have the following benefits:

it'd cut the labor force in half making a worker twice as valuable, increasing wages overall due to increased demand. just starve companies of labor and don't let them do anything over seas and force a labor shortage.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Chris Christie posted:

And of course the thing people rarely discuss - higher wages = lower cost of income assistance programs and welfare.

If you were willing to make the naive assumption that Democrats would agree to tax cuts in line with the reduced cost of social welfare spending, it would actually benefit Wal-Mart's bottom line to pay higher wage up front and lower taxes on the back end, because income assistance on the back end also entails a middleman - govt. - and thus economic waste via costs of administration, government inefficiency, etc.

But then you wouldn't have a class of exploitable wage slaves trapped into a cycle of barely eking out an existence

can't have that

don't let them do anything over seas

lol

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

it'd cut the labor force in half making a worker twice as valuable, increasing wages overall due to increased demand. just starve companies of labor and don't let them do anything over seas and force a labor shortage.

lol are you a Random Terrible Idea Generator?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Hey guys all we have to do is [something that is literally impossible] and it will fix the problem!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Well lots of goons support having a guaranteed minimum income/negative income tax, such that they receive food, housing, and medical expenses no matter what. Do those same people support removing minimum wage at the same time(obviously not the latter without the former)? It seems like there's little reason to stop walmart from paying part of that bill if the government is picking up the tab anyway, my only real problem is the coercion inherent in current employer-employee relationships. Presumably you'd structure it so any money you earn corresponds to some percentage of that amount of benefits going away, so you're incentivized to work while not forcing you to.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fandyien posted:

yeah i phrased that poorly, what i meant is i'd be happy to pay an extra fifty cents on literally every trip i make anywhere for any reason if it was attendant to a minimum wage hike
i would pay fifty cents more per trip if it meant that all wal mart employees were entered in a random drawing for a new aircraft carrier

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Trixie Hardcore posted:

lol are you a Random Terrible Idea Generator?

you got supply and demand we have more workers than jobs so wages will stagnate, so swing things the other way.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hey guys all we have to do is [something that is literally impossible] and it will fix the problem!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

it's been a good long time since someone was bold enough to be an out-n-out nihilist lol

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

we could just kill every illegal in the country and get rid of all guest workers and open a few million jobs slots.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

you know what also would cut labor force in half? rounding up all conservatives into death camps and gassing them

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

we could just kill every illegal in the country and get rid of all guest workers and open a few million jobs slots.

i too long to be paid $4/hr to pick strawberries in southern california or tobacco in north carolina

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Forgall posted:

you know what also would cut labor force in half? rounding up all conservatives into death camps and gassing them

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Well lots of goons support having a guaranteed minimum income/negative income tax, such that they receive food, housing, and medical expenses no matter what. Do those same people support removing minimum wage at the same time(obviously not the latter without the former)? It seems like there's little reason to stop walmart from paying part of that bill if the government is picking up the tab anyway, my only real problem is the coercion inherent in current employer-employee relationships. Presumably you'd structure it so any money you earn corresponds to some percentage of that amount of benefits going away, so you're incentivized to work while not forcing you to.

No. Minimum wage is important, because reasons

Trixie Hardcore posted:

We just need 50 straight dudes to blow 95 dicks a day for 6 months and obama will be hung for his crimes

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
this thread is a bad thread.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Forgall posted:

Ahaha this but unironically

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
capitalism is a flawless system as long as nobody acts like an rear end in a top hat

outlaw being an rear end in a top hat, problem solved

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Forgall posted:

huh since american leftist are european rightest. conservatives want lower taxes and easier wealth generation for everyone. Our current crop of liberal politicians are fostering a new generation of robber barons atm.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
hey I have another idea: what if we could evolve people who don't need food, sleep, or shelter to live?

like wow that would solve all of our problems, why are we not doing this??!?

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
:gas:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

hey I have another idea: what if we could evolve people who don't need food, sleep, or shelter to live?

we already have, it's called anime

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Im a chemist with a bit of a biology background, ill get right on it, by reversing the aids genome into producing food instead of killing white blood cells. Then ill poz ur neg rear end

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Tonetta posted:

Or, uh, we could adjust tax rates so people living at or below the poverty line pay even less than they do, and make up the difference in taxing corporations more? Why people below the po erty line have to pay taxes to begin with is beyond me

raising the minimum wage literally has the same effect as raising taxes on corporations, hth

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Savington posted:

raising the minimum wage literally has the same effect as raising taxes on corporations, hth

Yea except it doesnt because poors arent giving corporations money so the kiddle class eats the losses

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Savington posted:

which they will just pass down to their customers in price increases, and even though they only need to raise cost say 50 cents a trip they will make sure it cost customers all the extra money their would have earned that week instead, because they can now afford to, and it will mkae investors happy.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tonetta posted:

Im a chemist with a bit of a biology background, ill get right on it, by reversing the aids genome into producing food instead of killing white blood cells. Then ill poz ur neg rear end

the solution is in progress people no need to talk about it anymore

we've done it

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can we just oulaw all predatory stock trading practices that drive up prices, and reinstate the law that went into effect then repealed that outlaws congressmen from insider trading?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
A lot of well thought out solutions for America itt

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can we just give liberals the east coast and sacramento, and conservatives the rest of the country so we can just move to a profitable war based economy? I mean after we become two separate countries.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

can we just oulaw all predatory stock trading practices that drive up prices, and reinstate the law that went into effect then repealed that outlaws congressmen from insider trading?

you want everyone's retirement funds, pensions, etc to go down in value? who do you think is the owner of those stocks being traded? i don't know what you're calling predatory(there's definitely some predatory stuff out there) but I don't think "all the stock prices go down" is an outcome you should be shooting for.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tonetta posted:

Yea except it doesnt because poors arent giving corporations money so the kiddle class eats the losses

Actually poor and middle class consumers are the engine of the entire economy and they are more likely to buy things if you throw a few extra dollars a week or month at them than if you cut taxes for top earners or corporations. Based on that it makes more sense for large retailers to increase their pay rates so their employees can buy more directly from them and increase the amount of income each store makes.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

can we just give liberals the east coast and sacramento, and conservatives the rest of the country so we can just move to a profitable war based economy? I mean after we become two separate countries.

Lol this guy

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Jeffrey posted:

you want everyone's retirement funds to go down in value? who do you think is the owner of those stocks being held? i don't know what you're calling predatory(there's definitely some predatory stuff out there) but I don't think "all the stock prices go down" is an outcome you should be shooting for.

i mean as in they stabalize and we make less stock bubbles as often. and increase interest rates so bonds don't suck again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
we will deflate our way to a prosperous middle class.

• Locked thread