Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ That was only in Annihilation: Conquest. Since then its been solely I AM GROOT.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, Rocket completely understands what Groot is saying. Groot is actually really intelligent and communicates all ideas and thoughts with "I am Groot."

Thank you Maximus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Riven posted:

Drax is just written very inconsistently. His non reaction to "we give a poo poo" that others have pointed out is the best example.

I thought he just was not paying attention to what others were saying as for the other comment he heard other people call her that so he assumed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

morestuff posted:

When else was she called that? I don't remember.

I think they called her that in jail.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pander posted:

I started with the 2008 #1 comic on marvel comics unlimited (yay $1 month deal). It's a bit confusing in the early-going because there's several characters not in the movies (at least not with any real role in the movies) and it kinda dumps you in the middle of some action. Fun read so far. Question for people who know this stuff well, is there a better jumping off point to get into it, or is that as good a point as any?

e. ^^^ what he said.

There was Annihilation then Annihilation conquest which sets up Guardians of the Galaxy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy ongoing was the direct result of a huge event that changed a lot of stuff and set things in motions of which you only really see the resolution in the comic series. It also changed a lot of characters, like Drax or Ronan, who had been around for a long time, but really used in (then) recent years. There is this picture floating around on the net, which a recommended reading order.

Here you go

Funny enough in the comic Gamora and Angela are awesome as they just love killing and fighting things together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Riven posted:

Where does the Infinity Gauntlet stuff fall in with that? Since that's what's coming up I'f like to read it. Any similar image/list for that story?

For Infinity Gauntlet its Silver Surver 34-38, Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet miniseries.

Also the Bendis written Guardians of the Galaxy is closer to the movies team then the other one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, the only reason it's absolutely clear to anyone that we've been doing infinity gem storylines for a few years is because Joss Whedon or the like said in an interview (or at a con or something) that X and Y macguffins were actually infinity stones. Other than that it's not very clear, which is annoying at this point.

Or lines like the Collector going 5 to go and showing all 6 of them in this movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mahoning posted:

So wait, is the Tesseract with the Collector or is it on Asgard?

Asgard. The other one was brought to the collected as they did not want two of them in the same place.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I want to buy some of these trades by way are some of them super expensive like $199? Have they been out of print for a long time?

Which ones? A bunch have been rereleased and they are also available digitally.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

No, Annihilation Conquest is the sequel to Annihilation. There's no way other than going digital unless they reprint it again, which might happen due to GotG, but you will probably have to wait like at least six months.

Or more likely closer to the release of Guardians 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

How the gently caress did James Gunn get to direct this film?

I mean he only really directed two films. One a cheap horror film that still bombed and the other a very small niche indie film. That's it. How do you go from working with a budget of 15 million to more than ten times that?

Iron Man 2 was more or less as good as the first one. I never got the hate.

Take a look at these guys resume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo_brothers

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

api call girl posted:

what was the last Spielberg thing anyway,

Lincoln 2 years ago. In 2 years he is doing BFG

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Holy crap THIS story? Oh man I am excited and terrified.

Also I'm seriously thinking of doing a double header on Friday and seeing TMNT and seeing GOTG for a second time.

Also, what story line in the comics does Drax go from being a Hulk look-alike to his current incarnation?

Drax the Destroyer miniseries.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

That was great, and as far as I'm concerned it was an homage to knife-missiles from the Culture books.

He has been wielded that since he first appeared in 69.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

What IS it? I mean the movie never says other than showing that everyone who knew about it in-universe was scared as poo poo over it.

In the comic its an arrow made of an element that can be controlled by whistling.
Space magic basically.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 7, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

computer parts posted:

There was a giant robot that was powered by the gem and destroyed the planet in the video but that doesn't explain how it ended up in a storage facility (since according to Quill's magic 3D graph thing it was a building he was entering).

We already know that they have been spread across the universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Knowing nothing about the character and his fondness of cocoons, is there any reason not to assume he was just cocooned during Quill's teenage/early adult years?

[Edit: nevermind, I wiki'd it. My theory doesn't make sense]

It would work if he was injured and then due to the gem being used in his proximity he is awoken.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slugworth posted:

So he can cocoon himself? Like, that's an existing (not that it really truly matters I suppose) ability of his? The wiki only mentions a cocoon in terms of his creation.

He can in order to heal himself. He cocoons himself when he becomes injured, and its actually him leaving the cocoon the first time that he gets the soul gem. He does it a couple more times when he dies and needs to return.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

Adam Warlock was a rpetty central figure in the earlier Cosmic Marvel stuff and he was kind of Thanos arch nemesis, but he is also really, really weird.

They did say his dads a dick so maybe his dad is Adam Warlock, but the guy who hired them was Magus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

I honestly thought the reveal of Quill's father was one of the weaker points of the movie. I thought the whole point was that these guys were essentially a bunch of Dirty Dozen like characters who were forced to become better people in the process of rescuing a planet, so revealing in the end that Quill actually is special kind of undermined that point.

All it revealed was that he was part alien. It did not change anything as he grew up as one anyways.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

It wasn't just him being half-alien, they made it pretty clear that it something special and unique, even among aliens.

I thought it was just that they did not have his dna on file. It could be special or it could just be an alien that they did not know about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dexo posted:

I will not have you insult Namor.

Yeah when there is fucken Thunderstrike right there!
Namor is currently busy blowing up earths to care.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

Awesome movie, and I never expected a Footloose reference to accurately foreshadow the final battle.

The only way it could have been better is if John Lithgow played Thanos.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Space death cult dudes and the fact that Drax basically is Riddick in many ways.

How many movies have space death cult style armies anyway? This did, Riddick, Lexx, does this come from some common earlier reference or what?

There was one called Universal Church of Truth that was lead by Magus. It was a real join our church or we will wipe you out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah. It's also a different perspective from the comic books. Grade-A superheroes are really thin on the ground in the MCU. We have the Hulk, basically. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch soon, I guess. Whereas in the cosmic side of the comic books you'll have whole races that manage to generate one single superhero while on Earth you can't open your front door without bouncing off someone who can shoot lightning out of their rear end. Earth has a weird reputation for being a total backwater shithole that at the same time is populated by an incredibly scary assortment of demi-gods, cosmic beings, and completely insane boy scouts. Pretty recently the galactic community tried to sever all ties and enforce a no fly zone sorta thing around Earth just because we're such giant prima donnas that noone wants to deal with us any longer.

Then earth saved the entire universe. The no fly zone was a ploy by Starlord's dad since he is a huge rear end in a top hat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

First Bass posted:

I kind of wish they'd used more actual Kree in the movie than just more generic cyber-monster-aliens (basically Chitauri stand-ins).

If anyone here who knows about the comics could tell me where a good place to start with modern Guardians of the Galaxy would be, that'd be great. The only stuff I know is that they were hanging out with Iron Man and then Captain Marvel for a while, and Quill was being all "no, gently caress YOU dad".

Annihilation, Annihilation conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Reign of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

Even then, she'd rather hook up with Batman.

Right now she and superman are dating.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Speaking as someone who's gotten increasingly disinterested in the Marvel family of movies over the years to the point where I doubt I'll bother seeing Avengers 2, Guardians owned bones. I'm glad its ties to the other movies are minimal as possible and I hope it stays that way.

Other then the fact that its main villain is the same as the one from Avengers and has direct ties to two other movies other than Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Do you think Thanos was the main villain in this movie?

Yes since Ronan was working for Thanos. Thanos also gave Nebula to Ronan to help him get the gems. Thanos was the main villain in this like he was in Avengers.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

euphronius posted:

I didn't think Vin's acting range included Trees but he did a good job.

His range also includes iron giants!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope that if Marvel make a Adam Warlock film they base it on the Magus storyline in which Adam, a golden skinned space-Jesus with PTSD and a sinister soul eating gem on his forehead, fights an evil future version of himself. This future versio has purple skin and an afro and as galactic God-King he conquers countless planets and forces all non-humanoid aliens he encounters into slavery and has all dissidents melted down into usable elements. Adam gets help from Gamora, Pip the Troll and Thanos because he thinks that when the time comes to wipe out all life in the galaxy it will be easier to defeat Adam than the Magus. To defeat the Magus Adam of course travels into the future and kills himself. it should of course be played totally straight except for maybe the clown dimension.

You have a bit of it wrong. Thanos helps him since Magnus was created to stop Thanos, and by stopping his creation that no one can defeat him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

She shows up, then there's a cut to her standing over Thanos' body with Captain America congratulating her on single handedly defeating what is most definitely the real Thanos, not a clone, robot, alternate universe version, etc.

They then look up and see Thanos escaping in the THANOS COPTER!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

When the Necro guys were telling Yondu to surrender, I honestly thought the bad guy shouted 'All your men have turned on the Nova Corps'. But since they were still helping in later scenes, I was like 'yeah, heard that wrong'.

And this was from about halfway back in the thread, but another poster mentioned that we'd never get the Super-Skrull in a Marvel movie. Anyone know why that is? I'm assuming somebody else has the rights (the studio that did those awful FF movies, maybe?). That's a bummer, because I liked him in all the cosmic story lines in the comics, like Annihilation (and I always pick him in Marvel Capcom 3).

It was tell all your men to turn on the Nova corps. The reason why they will never get super skrull is due to his character/powers being tied directly with the Fantastic Four.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

Yeah, that would have made way more sense, but the intention was to have Cap and co as the bad guys of the story.

Its Mark Millar and he is a bad writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Red Son is great, though.

He had help from Grant Morrison on that one.

• Locked thread