Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Was he on the upper balcony in the prison scene? I thought that's where I caught him.

Was he the voice of Howard the Duck? It sounded like it could have been him, and would actually be weirdly perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had a friend who thought that the concept sounded terrible and stupid when I told it to her after it was announced, then when the first trailer hit decided it looked fun, then went to the midnight thing with me yesterday and LOVED it. So yeah, if you weren't sold by the first trailer you're probably an emotionless husk of a person.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bows1 posted:

After credits

so what's the point? Why should I care about Howard the duck? Why was that super nerd screaming oh Marvel I can't believe you did it!

Please enlighten me

Cause Howard the Duck is cool and has good comics and was not a likely choice to ever appear in a movie. But it's probably just a throw away joke so don't worry about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Noope. I really want the Guardians to interact with the Avengers, Have it be only in the Avengers 3. They can help the Earth Heroes defeat Thanos.

I just want Quill, the most 80s dude ever to see what earth is like in the years since he's left.

They should go back into space after it, but goddamn, If I don't see Rocket and Stark bickering over some usage of technology I'm going to be disappointed.

I want to see Quill just react like an angry old man to modern pop culture.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also wasn't his first line literally saying he was going to make Quill his bitch?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Yes, clearly the best idea would be to just have the Thanos/Infinity Stones stuff come out of of nowhere in Avengers 3, bogging that movie down with all the required exposition at once. Except, not at all.

There is a faction of posters here, including Timeless Appeal, who still hates how Marvel ties their films together. They want them to all be standalone and self contained, when that is clearly not what they are attempting to do, nor has it ever been what they've been attempting to do since the moment Fury showed up in Iron Man. Not liking stuff to be serialized like these are is a valid viewpoint and opinion, but they're never going to get what they want as long as they keep making money. So instead they come here and complain about it, and refuse to budge on the idea that there might be something to this whole universe building, strongly interconnected series of films thing that Marvel is doing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

You can find a happy medium there. If you're going to bother introducing Thanos, it'd be nice to see him doing something more dynamic or interesting than sitting in a chair.

If you're going to introduce the emperor, have him do something more dynamic or interesting than not even appearing in the flesh and having him do nothing but talk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

That's one scene vs. four for Thanos.

Thanos talking to Ronan, and Thanos on a screen talking to Ronan...did I miss two somehow?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem I'm having is that Thanos only really exists in this film to tease his appearances in other films. This easily could have been a movie about Ronan stealing the gem and any references to Thanos could be limited to Gamora's backstory. He seems superfluous.

Once again, your problem is thinking of any of these films as a stand alone thing. They aren't that, and are never going to be that. You HAVE to think of the broader context of what they are doing here, and that includes the fact that setting up Thanos is important to the series as a whole, even if he isn't a critical part of this film alone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it's a safe bet that in GotG 2 or Avengers 3 or Infinity Gauntlet or whenever they pay this stuff off, they are going to reestablish that Thanos wants to do something with the infinity gems. So, what does his existence in this film accomplish?

It establishes him now. Even if they do reestablish him later putting him in this gets people talking and thinking about him. It's the same reason that any of the interconnected small things happen. It's the same reason he was at the end of Avengers or that Fury was at the end of Iron Man. It not only hints at events to come, but gets people asking "who was that guy?" and then all their nerdy friends answer, and it puts him into the public awareness.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, but there was a reason those two examples you gave don't happen in the films proper and are left for the credits. They're not really a part of the story. If something isn't actively serving your story in some meaningful way then it shouldn't be in your story.

In this film his presence actually does what you're complaining about with Ronan, it establishes him. In the first scene he shows up Ronan is angry and petulant, but Thanos doesn't give a single gently caress, and sends Ronan packing with his tail between his legs. This shows that Thanos is a big bad rear end and isn't intimidated at all. Then Ronan gets the gem and all of a sudden even Thanos is taken aback because of the amount of power he now has. Thanos helps build up Ronan and the gem, and the movie would be less without him and those scenes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When the team first goes in and meets The Collector, and the Collector does his dramatic turning around to face the camera, over his right shoulder you can see Howard chilling out in his cell.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

All action movies are cartoons.

Fixed this for you. You were right but just not thinking big enough.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

I don't know why I expected this to be the movie that breaks the rigid tone and structure of the Marvel Studios formula, but it was the same movie I've seen over a dozen times just in a different setting. Uninspired cinematography despite the occasional bout of tasty eye candy, a lighthearted tone that never knows how to ramp up sufficient tension, and a soundtrack that made zero impression past the artificial injection of classic pop music to give the movie a transparent sense of personality. It just didn't work for me past a few good performances and one or two funny scenes.

Really disappointed, had big hopes that this would be the movie where the director would shine through.

If you didn't get "James Gunn" from this movie from top to bottom you must not have been paying attention. Gunn himself has even gone on record saying that this is exactly the film he had in his head when he pitched the idea to them two years ago. It's not as dark or violent or risque as his other work, but he shone through in all of it, right down to the use of the word "scrote."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's like saying you couldn't see the influence of Black in Iron Man 3, the buddy "cop" movie set during Christmas.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ah yes such famous boning songs as Hooked on a Feeling and Spirit in the Sky. And those dirty loving Jackson 5, always singing about loving.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Who fucks to Cherry Bomb?

The only people who have ever hosed to Escape (The Piņa Colada Song) are subhuman yacht rock assholes who hardly even classify as people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wasn't the line "shiny blue briefcase?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Like the shrek song about meth

I sae this late afternoon on Sunday, and I was honestly really surprised at the turnout. It was a totally packed theater, and there were alot of familys and groups of little kids there. I thought it would be strictly the comic book/ scifi male demo, but I was wrong. I think the ads with the cute little racoon and the talking tree really did wonders bringing in a whole separate demographic.

Ive heard several people reference it as a comedy as well, so I think the movie is drawing in a wide crowd. I love scifi, but never got into marvel comics but I thought all the characterization was solid. They failed a few times with show dont tell, but its an origin story for totally new characters so I dont have a problem forgiving that. It was a hell of a ride l all the way through. I wish some more world building would have occurred, but thats just me being a sucker for scifi.

Some thoughts

The celestial was super cool

I didnt get the howard the duck scene but in hindsight thats pretty great fan service.
I really wish they had used Del Torro more. His Collectors character seemed like there should have been so much more to him.

Wanna see Cosmo talk

Wish they had explored knowwhere more.

I just started reading the comics and im confused as gently caress. Seems like they drop you into the middle of an arc.

Is Groots stuff worth reading as stand alone? If so what would you recommend?
Can someone explain the marvel like universe, multiverse and how all this cosmic poo poo fits together? I read the wiki but I was just like :catstare:

There is no Groot solo stuff in the comics. He was a monster from Marvels old 50's stuff who showed up a couple times as a villain but never regularly till 2008.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

There needs to be some kind of ongoing memo on top of each page or something explaining that Loki's staff has not been confirmed to be the mind gem in any way.

It's not confirmed, but it's our best bet until told otherwise.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

I feel like constraints on that kind of humor make it way better.

For proof if this look at classic Ren & Stimpy compared to the more recent revival.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Everblight posted:

From a while back, but I will remind people that both the fantastic Punisher: War Zone and Blade exist.

Neither of those are Marvel Studios films.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I don't know about that, My 11 year old son was delighted at the end credits, but to be fair we had just watched Howard the Duck was a few weeks ago. .

Why would you show that movie to an 11 year old? I mean, I saw it at that age, but I'm forever scarred from it due to poo poo like duck tits.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Still the best Marvel-Lucas movie.

By virtue of being the only Marvel-Lucas movie it is also the worst Marvel-Lucas movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Officer Farva posted:

I was pretty pumped to see Thanos in the movie, since it wasn't announced beforehand and I wasn't expecting it at all.

They announced he was in it and Josh Brolin was playing him months ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Lincoln 2 years ago. In 2 years he is doing BFG

I don't know what this actually stands for in this case, but I'm going to imagine Spielberg is making a movie based on the best gun from Doom.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

The idea that Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Ridley Scott would show up in a discussion about guns-for-hire in a serialized movie series is completely bananas. James Cameron was once in talks to do a Spider-Man movie... which he wrote himself, drew the storyboards for, and would have had near-complete control over. WB/DC felt they had to let Christopher Nolan conclude a popular franchise his way, and he's not exactly on the level of these guys.

Cameron's Spider-Man movie would have featured Mary Jane loving Spider-Man (in full costume and without knowing his true identity) on a big web, by the way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

As fun as Guardians of the Galaxy is, it's no Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi. It doesn't have to be to be good, but it probably should be before you write insane nonsense like "That's how you write a Star Wars movie, you dipshit" about the guy who wrote those.

Yeah, it's not those movies. It's better. That's right, I said it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

The problem is, why don't get shown that Rocket is carrying pain. We're told it, and are just expected to go along with it. The movie would have been a whole lot better, a whole lot more powerful, and had a greater emotional connection to these characters if the director would have given us even the merest glimpse into these lives. Even Quill, the character we're meant to identify with, gets no explanation as to how he turned out to be the man he was, other than "these people wanted to eat you, and I wouldn't let 'em".

The more I think about this film, the less I like it.

They do show it. His entire attitude is from it, his implants are shown, him being ashamed at being treated like an animal (stripped nude while Quill keeps his underwear) when he's brought into prison shows it. It seems to me like you've decided to hate this movie and are now looking for evidence to support your hatred, and ignoring everything that doesn't support your argument.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

I too like to turn my brain off when seeing criticism a film.

No one is saying this. We're saying that it might have been a good thing for guys like Davros1 to have NOT turned their eyes off while watching it, however.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Then what is this saying?

To be quite honest I have no loving clue what that guy was trying to say there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

You mean in the first 30 seconds of the movie?

I loved the movie but it beat the audience over the head with some points way too much.

Apparently not as a ton of people still don't seem to be getting stuff like this, such as the very post you quoted.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Republicans posted:

The big-rear end ship they were on was about to crash and they didn't have time/means to escape. Besides, they had to work in an excuse to have Tiny Groot in the end.

Was he part of the climax when they used the power of friendship to defeat the bad guy? I didn't see if Rocket was holding that twig. I wish he was Tiny Groot for that scene just so he could be that last bit of oomph needed to control the gem, just like in Horton Hears a Who.

Rocket had already picked up the twig, yeah.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

So let me ask you this. When you watch a film, and it's over, you never, ever, give that film a second thought once it's over? You don't ever think about anything you've just seen, how the story was told, how it was put together, etc? You watch a film, and the first impression you have of it as you leave is the one you hold on to for the rest of your life?

I didn't hate the movie (it wasn't Transformers for god's sake), but as I left the theater little things about it began to niggle at me. And the more I though about those things, the more I realized that those flaws took away from what I thought could have been a truly entertaining film.

What if it was the other way around. What if I didn't like the film at first, thought about for a few days, that came to realize that I enjoyed it more and more, would that be a wrong impression to have? Would I hated the film, and was now just looking for things that supported my new outlook, and ignoring the rest?

I've seen the film twice and put thought into. And as others have said your little nitpicks are just things that you either didn't catch or that would not have really fit in the film. As has been said as well you are taking "show don't tell" much too literally here. Yes, film is a visual medium, but it is also an audio one, and dialogue and exposition are not the devil, it's all on how they're done. If they had a scene where Rocket sits in front of the others and tells them, in detail, his backstory, then yes, that would have been bad storytelling and worthy of your complaints. But they don't do that. They show him being treated like an animal in prison and called subhuman by even his friends, they show he has a chip on his shoulder, they show that something has been done to him that is very unnatural, and then when they do finally give him less than two minutes of exposition about it where it brings all of this together, it's during the middle of a bar room brawl where he's drunkenly threatening to kill everyone and is full of actions that support the words being said. I don't think you've gone in with an agenda and are now trying to support it because you don't like the film, I think that because all the points you've raised have been, at least in my opinion, completely invalid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Fine. That's your opinion, and you're welcome to them. Just as I am to mine. But I did watch the film, and I did catch all the little things that you pointed out. I just don't understand why you're getting so defensive about a film someone has a different opinion to. If you enjoyed the movie, great. I certainly don't feel like I wasted my money seeing it. I did enjoy it. The final attack on Ronan's ship was awesome. Karen Gillan was great. Thanos was amazing. Benico Del Toro was great. Sure, the film could have used more Peter Serafinowicz (but then, like most things in life, everything could use more Peter Serafinowicz).

You just seem upset that someone isn't immediately declaring it "the greatest movie ever!" and has genuine complaints about it.

I don't think your complaints are...well, I'm sure they're genuine, but I don't think they're valid, as I said. If you were complaining about there not being enough character development for Ronan, or that Gamora wanting to betray Thanos comes out of nowhere and doesn't seem motivated, sure. But you've picked a weird hill to die on with the Rocket thing. In fact what you think is a hill is actually a valley, and you seem to be firing your gun straight into the ground.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Bee posted:

I'm sorry but I think that's reading a bit much into it. It was one juxtaposition between two otherwise unrelated characters, and was way more about transitioning from a long gone old family to a new one, as well as finally overcoming the mental barriers that wouldn't let him accept said first loss.

I think he's right, but not to the point of being an oedipus complex. Or at least not a full blown one. I think by that point in the movie any romantic notions between the two of them were kind of done, and she had kind of become the mother figure of the team.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Okay, it's just weird to me to have a fictional civilization whose name is phonetically identical to an actual civilization.

They probably didn't know when they made them up, or if they did they just thought it sounded cool.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just got back from the new Ninja Turtles movie. Thematically it is exactly the same movie as this, and putting them side by side shows perfect examples of how to do a movie about family coming together and how not to do it. And of how to do a movie that both kids and adults can enjoy without talking down to either group, and how to...well, how to make a 2 hour long toy/pizza/orange crush commercial that is insulting to everyone in the audience.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I agree, but Yondu could have easily been foreshadowed spacedad to anyone not familiar with the comics or character origin. I really don't see how anyone could claim the angel imagery used in those two specific scenes was just an accident.

Quill's mom was being 100% serious, Yondu was obviously being sarcastic because he clearly is not good looking and looks nothing like an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

he's described as not even needing one to destroy a planet

No he isn't. They say he'll destroy the planet AFTER he gets the stone.

• Locked thread