Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

RECRUITMENT IS CLOSED, GO HOME

Radcliffe Underwood High School, part of a plummeting district of poor funding and poorer report cards. For years the Underwood School District had tried and tried to keep their graduation rate on the rise, but to no effect. It seemed that the still-blooming city of Goldview would become toxic for the housing market, and the district would vanish in stagnation. People would be forced to attend Pratchett Preparatory School.

Nobody wants to attend Pratfall Prep.

Then came the transitional phase, during which the district saw power descend upon a brazen and self-centered woman, Superintendent Susan Meyer. Mere months after she took the reins, her administration brought back a city-wide interest in the arts, the highest funding going to RUHS. With the arts came desired improvements in grades and test scores, and a resurgence in special interest clubs.

Among other passions being rekindled, this inspired a student to look into the records of the school's clubs from 2006 and discover a dark secret, the kind of secret no man could have foreseen.

A club created to honor a polarizing medium, among which stood what was once considered the highest of its kind. A club that was disbanded in 2008, after a collective disdain from the student government and the school's administration caused their budget to be cut entirely. A club once sponsored by the district's own Susan Meyer, then an English teacher.

The SOS Brigade Anime Club

For some reason or another, the club has regained its position on the Council this year, and you've been roped into their resurgence, whether by your own volition or a need for extra-curricular credits. Together with anime fans, your club's modus operandi is to have fun and help the community through the love of anime and the great unknown. This along with your school work and personal drama may create quite the workload. But there's another common bond that links a certain few of you. When the club adjourns their meeting with the usual saying:

"If any of you are aliens, time-travelers, or espers, please come see us!"

You're half-tempted to oblige.

The Melancholy of R.U. High's Susan Meyer

Buy Monsterhearts
MH Reference Sheet

Overview

Monsterhearts is a game about melodramatic teen monsters trying and failing to coexist among humans. Each skin brings with it an assumption of internal and external drama, and some skins just don't play nice with each other. As the Master of Ceremonies, I will be presenting obstacles to your characters and letting you interact with each other however you feel inspired to act. Over the course of the game your characters will find conflict in each other, in the setting, and in themselves, and hopefully they'll find the tools to cope with (or even overcome!) their troubles.

Please put the following information in your application:

Your character's name.
A picture of your character (or physical description if you have to).
Your character's background and introduction, usually in the first person.
Your character's Skin (below). You may opt not to post Backstory strings and other Skin-specific secrets.
Any Skin-related NPCs, with name and small description.
Another NPC not Skin-related, with name and small description.
A point of interest within Goldview or RUHS' campus.

Only when all of the above have been at least partially completed will the application be considered complete and worthy of consideration.
You might also post an evocative song to set the mood, though I won't judge you either way on that.

What's This Anime poo poo?

This setting is based on the series Haruhi Suzumiya, in which the titular young woman creates a club in the hopes of finding inhuman creatures, and succeeds in a sense. She has no idea that the members of her SOS Brigade are more than human and is all the better for it, because her whims change the course of time and composure of space, and such knowledge may destroy the world as they know it.

Then a whole bunch of other stuff happens involving unrequited love, swimsuits, and homework (protip: do your drat homework), like you might expect from almost any show. It's actually grounded compared to the usual "slice of life" shows that have come after it, while also introducing elements that no anime really approaches without a drastic shift in tone. This mix of lightheartedness, internal conflict and supernatural elements make it an ideal setting for Monsterhearts, whether you like it or not.

Here's the deal: if you're a monster, you are both the best and worst thing to happen to the world, and it's your duty to keep the humans blissfully unaware, because one of them might make the city disappear. Good luck, and god bless.

Skins

You may use any of the official skins, including from the Second Skins preview and all others intermittently released. In addition, there are a number of third-party skins that I've found to be worth looking at. Be aware that most non-basic skins have added mechanics that could be harder for new players to keep track of.

The Basic Skins
The Anansi
The Angel
The Harpy
The Hollow
The Selkie
The Serpentine
The Shadow

There's also Skins for the Skinless, a compilation of third-party skins that don't really thrill me outside of the Calaca, Mummy, and Unchained. If you have another skin you'd like to use, give me an elevator pitch of your idea and I'll give you a yes/no. I'd rather there be a twist to some of the more niche skins than playing them straight as-advertised, because some skins just don't groove. It'll be up to you to sway my opinion.

Guidelines, Suggestions, and Non-Binding Promises

Don't feel obligated to base your character on one of the main characters in the series. You don't need to be "the Kyon," although you can still be "the straight man."

This being an anime-based game does not mean it's going to be completely silly. I chose Monsterhearts for a reason. Everyone should expect at least a little drama with their cartoons, and everyone should feel comfortable taking that step. With that in mind, I urge you to read Safe Hearts, a guideline by the main writers themselves, which outlines the responsibility that befall the players and MC when broaching sensitive subject matter.

If you're going to play a Chosen or other "game-changing" skin, please make an effort to stay actively involved with your fellow players. Too often have I heard the horrors of inactivity and disinterest when the game is becoming increasingly centered around a Chosen who just doesn't want to fight the threat it created during character creation.

Also, be active. The idea is that you should be posting as much as I do, if not more. Feed off your fellow players (not like vampires), collaborate ideas, and keep the ball rolling. If you're waiting on me to give you roll results (spoilers: you might), you can still interact with people in a non-mechanical way.

During the recruitment process you may be asked to do things atypical of a regular Monsterhearts recruitment thread. Just roll with it.

In the event of your not being accepted, feel free to ask me what you can do to improve through PM or private IRC (you probably won't want to ask in public). I'll try to answer as honestly as I can as long as you're reasonable, calm and collected.

Feel free to hang out in SynIRC at #swampthings if you have questions with this game, or Monsterhearts in general.

Deadline for application will be Tuesday, August 5th, after which I will complete the recruitment process and make picks.

One final note: it's my first time, so be gentle. :gonk:

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gonna post something tomorrow! I gotta a few irons in the forge!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

This is the worst.

I'll see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: Might go with my old Mummy concept, that was anime.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 31, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lisa Kratzenberg

ufufu~

Lisa is an otaku. An incredible, hardcore, ridiculous otaku. Probably at least the third-strongest in the school. She's drawn sheafs of doujins (sheafs!), watched pretty much every anime ever produced (or like a hundred), and has actually been to Japan on three seperate occasions. Wow.
However, to most of the school, Lisa is known more as a helper. Sunny, smilin' Lisa, always ready to pop in with a quick comment, always ready to listen to your troubles, and grin, and whisper a little secret that greases the wheels right up, and the next day you're going out with that special someone and everything's right as rain.
Lisa loves being helpful, more than anything. More than anime, even, though that would be a tough choice. But now, with the SOS-dan rekindling, it's time to take back from the community, while also giving the pure, sheer joy of Japanese animated cartoons.

Also are the janitors in this school loving lazy or what? Creepy loving cobwebs everywhere euughhh.

pre:
Lisa the Anansi
True form: Fangs, many eyes. 
Look: Shiny, mischevious; gleaming eyes. 
Origin: On your own. 

Hot +0
Cold +1
Vol. -1
Dark +1

Moves

* Hidden Agenda
You get a Hidden Agenda, chosen during the first session no wait 
actually it's "Make the SOS-dan the most popularest club in the school! Yeah!"
When your Hidden Agenda is achieved, mark xp and choose a new one.
When your Hidden Agenda is no longer hidden (from the other PCs) or unachievable,
become your darkest self. When you escape your Darkest Self, choose a new one. 

* Oh What A Tangled Web
You can create strong, sticky threads to dangle from, weave webs with, and
inflict upon others the entangled Condition (when you shut someone down,
spend a String on them, or they blunder into your webs). 

* The Web of Life
You are always conneced to those you have Strings on. 
When you gaze into the abyss to spy on someone, add 1 for each String. 
On a 12+, you may spend those Strings even if not physically present. 

Backstory
One or two others have been in your webs; take two Strings on one, or one on two. 
Your bizarre antics super awesome helpfulness is well known. 
Everyone gains a String on you.

You should probably also hear about Kimmy. Kimmy Kimmy Kimbels, she of the thousand eyes and thousand ears, the lurking crocodile, the unblinking owl.
Kimberly Houthakker grew up downstairs from Lisa, and most of the pair's childhood was spent watching people, mostly out the window. Lisa's poo poo-stirring proclivities surfaced when they were four, when she chucked a rock ever-so-strategically to get the assholes who played baseball in the empty lot in trouble with Old Mrs. Norman. On that day, Lisa looked to Kimmy, and saw... quiet acceptance, and mild humor. They've been together ever since.
Kimmy is, somehow, immune from the affliction that strikes most of Lisa's informants, turning them from "random bystanders" into, well, known informants. Kimmy can go anywhere, fit in with anyone, without raising a single eyebrow, and she is Lisa's single greatest weapon in the fight to keep tabs on the social currents.
Also Kimmy is a total kuudere and meganekko and hates anime with the passion of ten thousand suns.

And of course, no tour of Goldviewvillesburg would be complete without a trip to the anime and figure store, Stan's. The local RPG shoppe also has some figures and manga and a couple anime box sets alongside their comic racks, but only Stan's has a virtually complete line of every Gundam figure branching back to 1980 (only seventy-four missing sets), only Stan's has a majority of manga in the original Japanese, only Stan's has a backroom full of airsoft guns and tank memorabilia for the express purpose of cosplay, and only Stan's has a giant basement movie theater, available for reservations twenty-four hours a day.
Stan's a skinny old guy with bushy eyebrows who's pretty laid-back but also doesn't like people standing around reading. Lisa has no idea why he isn't, like, out in the boonies running a tiny gas station or something, but she's not about to complain.

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Watch this space, a sheet will be here soon!

EDIT: Apping a Calaca soon! I'll need a picture, but I can do that easy enough I'm sure.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Haruhi Spookyboners? You have piqued my interest.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is that record time for a first app, drat.

Will be apping tomorrow. Probably an angel or a witch.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Making a touhou angel

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Honestly I wasn't all that keen on a game about relationships and monsters in itself, but mostly light hearted anime stuff I can get down for. Watch this space.

EDIT: OKAY I LIED. BUT IT IS DONE FOR REALSIES NOW.

Faust Whittemore

"There's an old saying that goes 'The devil's children have the devil's luck'. There is also a not so old saying that I just made up, 'the devil's contract has much fine print', and that is where I am left right now.

Ooh but surely, I saw it coming you don't make a contract with the devil! Well, not really, when you get a name like 'Faust' and your parents are real spooky, into the occult sorts, you have shrines around the house to this greater demon, and that demon lord, and this lord of carnal pits you sorta tune it out. And then, when a spooky voice offers you a deal that asks that you only give up 'something you shouldn't put faith in', and then the perks on offer basically amounts to 'Everything you ever wanted', you can't refuse can you?

Well I should have, turns out, the devil's own luck doesn't exactly say what kind of Luck that entails, and after the first few years of near miss traffic incidents, downpours in summer, laser guided animal attacks and walking into mean street toughs when you just so happen to look like one guy they think maybe was giving them some lip, I would feel excused when I tell people 'I do not leave the house unless I have to', and just sit inside watching television and reading manga, much safer

But, I still gotta go to school, and then I have to join a club, since you know, near mandatory, and I needed the credit from the amount of sick days I needed. And of course, being that, I feel like I should stay far away from, sharp objects, chemicals, dust, expensive equipment and animals, that leaves me with the Anime club doesn't it? But hey, the worst thing you can get at an anime club, is bad hygiene and really creepy dudes, and that's hardly anything to worry about. You can't suffer from any ill luck from just going to a club like that right?

Right?"

pre:
Faust, The Infernal
Look:  Anxious, Flickering Eyes
Origin: Lackey

Hot : -1
Cold : 0
Vol. : 1
Dark :1

Infernal Moves

Soul Debt - Belial, The Trickster
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. 
Choose two Bargains that it has made with you.
It can hold Strings against you.
Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with,
they mark experience, 
and you gain a String on them.

Bargains

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really, really want. 
The MC will attach a price to the thing you want,
And hint at an undesired twist in its nature.
If you pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after.

Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Backstory

You owe debts. 
Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. 
Gain a String on them.

Ms. Angela Douglass, the long suffering school counselor. Now, Underwood wasn't exactly the shining star of schools, controlling the students in the likes of what was one of the most under-performing schools in the country was hard-work at the best of times for the staff. Nowadays the students are much more well behaved and the school much more respectable, but, Ms. Douglass still has the responsibility of handling the students whose records of attendance and/or behavior are less then stellar and try to help the students with pressing personal problems to the best of her ability. It's a tough job that is somewhat thankless, but someone has got to do it, and if anything, Ms. Douglass is really good at her job.

Of course, due to me missing a few days of school for, various reasons, I have had to see her more then once in my time at school.

Where do I like to go to in my free time? Well I will be honest, I love me the poo poo out of some books. Terrance Armbruster Memorial Library is easily one of the largest libraries in the area, conveniently situated right on campus, and on open lease to the local community. If there was anything that I would say the school spent some of it's new found money on first, it was revitalizing and expanding from the old library, getting new books, new equipment, and generally making the place look nicer. The fact that they got a fat insurance pay out because the old library burned down helped in the building costs.

How did it burn down? No one is 100% sure, but, the only thing that is certain is that the guy the library was named after was the only person to die in that fire. Tragic really, the kid stayed around to get the others out and payed the ultimate price for it. Well, if there is anything I would want to be remembered by, getting a building named after me and being remembered as a hero would certainly not be the worst thing that could happen.

I will be honest. Very honest. Just for the purposes to make this go easier, but what I say here, does not leave this room. I have seen Belial, Lord of Lies, in the flesh, once. Most of the time, he contacts me through an intermediary; an animal, a homeless person, graffiti on the wall no one notices, letters with no sender, cryptic messages in my dreams, in my head, and one time in my soup, that sort of thing. The Lord of Lies never deals with things directly unless he has to. But one time he made a house call, it was the first time I crashed. And I crashed hard, like, inches away from death hard, and I saw what he really looked like. Let's just say once was enough for me...

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

oh goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I'm sort of worried about overextending myself but this sounds pretty neat! Sooooo I may or may not make an awkwardreluctant cosplayer Cuckoo. :v:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Wanna try this.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Posting interest, will come up with a character later today

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hmmm, interesting...lemme think about this. I can promise it won't be a Hollow, I can't promise it won't be a :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I might be the dork who makes The Mortal. I AM that dork who makes The Mortal.

Milo Colombera

I'm not really sure what's going on right now, but all I know is that I'm scared!

It's always the same old story, huh? Parents find a new business opportunity, pack up, and move everything. The place they've known as home for years, abandoned for the allure of new horizons and risky ventures. That's how I happened to come to Goldview. Mom figured that a place like this would only go up and invested early. Meanwhile, here's me as the transfer student, awash in a sea of faces I don't know. Doesn't she know I had built up my group of friends from day one? It's cruel to expect me to start all over again so late in life!

Well, she suggested I join a club to help me meet people, which is a good idea, I guess. None of these clubs really interest me, though. ....What's this? An anime club? Well, I've watched some DBZ, which was pretty neat. I suppose it's better than nothing. I've seen a lot of anime club horror stories on the Internet, though. I guess I could take a gamble like Mom. It's not like I have to stick around. Just one meeting, that's all. Best case scenario, they're cool and I make some new friends. Worst that can happen is I have an interesting story for Tumblr.

Monsters? What are you talking about? Those don't exist, right?

quote:

Milo the Mortal
Look: Awkward, Human eyes
Origin: New kid in town

Stats:
Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 0
Dark: 1

Moves:
True Love: You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover's heart or fancy.

Sympathy is My Weapon: Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Down the Rabbit Hole: When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you and you mark experience.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self:
Nobody understands you or even wants to. They'd rather you disappear. Well, you're not going to disappear. You're going to make life a living hell for them. You'll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You'll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you're causing your lover will allow you to escape your Darkest Self.

Backstory: Zoey is your lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Colombera Pizza
When one moves to a new town, the first thing one should always do is find a good pizza place. I just happened to bring the pizza place with me. My mom owns this joint, and I gotta say, they make good pizza. Of course, this means I get a lot of pizza in my lunch. A lot. I'm not complaining, though. It's better than the cardboard they serve in the cafeteria. It's a bit small, but it's become pretty popular in the short time it's been here.

Francesca Colombera
Welp, this is my mom. Second-generation daughter of Italian immigrants. My dad died when I was young, so she's all I have. She cares a lot about me, but I think that's because I'm all she has as well. She's very amicable and jovial, and her relationship with her customers is part why our joint is so popular. She's passionate about cooking, and often uses her experimental recipes as family dinner. This doesn't always turn out for the best.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 13, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I suddenly had the inspiration for a chuunibyou-style Infernal. I'll see if I can convince myself to A)make it, and B)stick with it.
EDIT: Or maybe an Unchained, now that Infernal's gone.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'm digging the interest so far. I'll try to get questions out at least once a day, until I start handing out PENALTIES. :getin:

Lisa, there was that one person that didn't want your help, more than anybody. Who was it, and what did you do about it?

Faust, if you're looking to avoid sharp objects you might have had poor luck choosing a hobby. :dota101:
But regardless of that, there was surely one time where your awful luck actually kept you out of danger. How did that turn out?

(Also, could you please break up your [pre] lines so they don't break our tables?)

Milo, so you belong to pizza royalty. Your mom's shop gets a lot of traffic from the school, right? What kind of attention does that get you?

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 1, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I can tell you I'm the most popular kid in the cafeteria, that's for sure. I get a lot of people asking me for discounts, but the, uh, "Milo-kins" discount (No, seriously, that's how it's recorded.) only applies to me, sorry. A lot of people know my name as a result, but none of them have really gotten closer than acquaintance. And sometimes I can't help but get the feeling that people only talk to me because they like my mom's joint.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
This sounds cool. Time permitting, I'll write up an application. Would it be okay to refluff a Mummy as a sort of King or Queen in the Mountain? Basically a mythical ruler like King Arthur who lies asleep, waiting for the day they can awake, usually when their people need them most.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

DeTosh posted:

This sounds cool. Time permitting, I'll write up an application. Would it be okay to refluff a Mummy as a sort of King or Queen in the Mountain? Basically a mythical ruler like King Arthur who lies asleep, waiting for the day they can awake, usually when their people need them most.

Yeah, I like the Mummy, and I approve that idea. Go hog wild.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Rather Watch Them posted:

Lisa, there was that one person that didn't want your help, more than anybody. Who was it, and what did you do about it?

Origin stoooryyyyyy...
So, 2nd grade, before the 'otaku' stuff (I mean I watched Toonami and anime and was buying manga and I was years into learning Japanese but I wasn't, like, obsessed), Sandy Jacobs had a crush on Jonathan Bregger. Now, there were three moving parts to this.

First, Sandy had had this crush on Jonathan since early spring in 1st grade, when she'd slipped and scraped her knee and Jonathan had lifted her up and they'd gone hobbling to the nurse's office. He'd stayed by her while Carol, the nurse, had cleaned her knee and disinfected it and applied a bandage. She was bawling, Jonathan was squeezing her hand, there was eye contact, all that sort of sappy bullshit straight out of a third episode romcom flashback. Now, Jonathan was just a really nice guy, earnest, but he didn't mean anything about it, but Sandy totally fell for him. Meanwhile I had been on the other side of the school, fleecing this other kid for his level nineteen magikarp. Sucker.
Second, over the summer Jonathan had been hanging out with Bethany Kate Emmons, who was from out of town. The Breggers owned a resort, and the Emmonses were on a vacation for a while, and Jonathan and Bethany spent a lot of time together, playing, going to stores, etc. I'm not really sure what Bethany thought about this, but Sandy lived close to Jonathan so she got wind of it pretty quick and was pissed, as far as I can tell. I didn't really know, I was off in Kyoto.
So, now, third part, the big part. The Emmonses, who were just vacationing, left, and took Bethany with them, and this was about the time I got back too, so I just noticed that Sandy was a little agitated regarding Jonathan. Kimmy, one of my informants, gave me the scoop, so I started keeping an eye on Sandy at that point, when school starts. Things start going alright for Sandy, she's sort of lurking near Jonathan and they end up working together on projects and stuff, and she's working up the courage to ask for them to basically go out (without, of course, actually talking about 'going out' or dating or anything like that), when, lo and behold, who transfers into the school?
Bethany. Kate. Emmons. I poo poo you not.

So, that's the stage, it's coming up on Halloween, Jonathan and Bethany are like peas in a pod, and Sandy is devastated. Bethany, for her part, seems oblivious, actually a couple of times approaching Sandy like nothing's wrong, and Sandy for her part is a real champ at not showing anything. I mean, unless Bethany was like some kind of demonic mastermind, I couldn't see how it was deliberate, this is just the usual sort of anxiety bomb on Sandy's part.
Now, this is the point where I come into the picture. Up until now, I'd been pretty haphazard with being helpful. I was more of a poo poo stirrer, really. Particularly around Easter, the year before, I'd engineered this amazing series of events that actually got a kid expelled and the teacher to take a leave for the rest of the year, and nobody had a clue. It was great. But, still, people knew that I usually was up to something, so when I started hanging around Sandy she wasn't having any of it, especially when she realized I was planning on getting her together with Jonathan. Well, maybe not that exactly, but she knew where I was looking and that I was going to shake things up, and she was getting all moralistic about how if it's making Jonathan happy she shouldn't intrude and she wouldn't be worth it anyway and a bloo bloo bloo.
Now, normally, and previously, what I would've done is, say, gotten some people calling Bethany 'Bucky' on account of her teeth, gotten her agitated, stressed, kept Sandy siloed off, nudged Jonathan and Bethany into an argument or two, prodded Bethany into misinterpreting Sandy's laughing at something and then tricked her into unloading on Sandy, unjustly, while Jonathan was observing. Bethany would be in shambles, Jonathan disillusioned, and Sandy would've been there, crying, vulnerable again, just waiting for Jonathan to swoop in and comfort her and then ba-bam, done-zo.

But, I was there, pondering this, wondering how best to start the 'Bucky' thing, when I thought to myself, 'what if this backfires on me?' So many things left up to chance, so many opportunities for Sandy to get in on the action too early and only cement the Jonathan-Bethany relationship, or for that big dramatic climax to go the other way, all this prodding about, couldn't there be a better way?
And that was when Operation Fall Threesome was hatched. Jonathan and Bethany were not interested in romantic interludes. If anything, the suggestion would've turned them red as beets, and probably killed their relationship immediately. Jonathan, in particular, was incredibly oblivious to the situation, and, most importantly, both Jonathan and Bethany had been friendly towards Sandy. If anything, the original plan would result in, at best, a few months of time with Jonathan for Sandy, before he got tired of her being so clingy and pushed her away. No-one would be satisfied!
So, instead, I decided to get the three of them into a standard sort of friendship. Bethany would put the breaks on Sandy's romanticism, encourage her to get better at socialization, forgiveness, and acclimation to people she'd initially thought ill of, and, eventually, Sandy's interest would glom her and Jonathan together at a later, more appropriate age.
Now, problem was, Sandy wanted none of this.

So, one day, I corner her while she's out getting the milk... wheelie... tray... thingy, you know the thing with the milk cartons in it from the cafeteria for milk break, and she's got the deer in the headlights look, and I lean in close and sinister and say,
"You like Jonathan Bregger, don't you?"
She squeaks, and starts shaking her head, just barely, but super fast, like she's trembling. I grin.
"Do you want me to tell him?"
Her head shaking goes double time, cheeks all wobbly, and I lean in further.
"I want you to start playing with Jonathan and Bethany during recess. If you don't, I'll tell~."
And she makes this loooong whimper, and I grin again, and pull the milk... cart... thing, swing it around to wheel it back to the classroom, and leave her alone in the hall, still trembling.
Now, Sandy is a coward, but she's an honest coward, and for a week or so her, Jonathan, and Bethany were all playing together. Bethany was suuuper jazzed because, truth be told, she was still new and didn't have any friends other than Jonathan. Jonathan, for his part, seemed happy. Sandy was not happy, but she kept playing, for a week, at least. Then she sort of petered off, found excuses, and I had to give her more... encouragement.
This went on for, hmm, better part of the year. Christmastime Sandy left, and when she came back she'd gotten clammed up again, so I had to give her a talking to again, but then Easter rolled around, and on past that to the end of spring.
The last thing I remember from that year was Bethany dragging Sandy back to her house, the last day of school, talking her ears off something about a pet snake. They gelled over the summer, because by third grade the three of them were hanging out constantly. It was great!

Unfortunately I'd miscalculated a little, because Sandy and Jonathan still haven't really gotten together, and the three of them are just hanging out as friends. Ah well.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

ActingPower posted:

I suddenly had the inspiration for a chuunibyou-style Infernal. I'll see if I can convince myself to A)make it, and B)stick with it.
EDIT: Or maybe an Unchained, now that Infernal's gone.
Since this came up in IRC:

Follow your heart. If I have two good Infernal, I won't hesitate to choose both. Same goes for the other skins.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

So, where were these people, exactly, when I was wandering around last year like the spineless piece of garbage I was? No friends, dressed like my mom was still shopping for me (because she -was-). Now this club's the talk of the school. Sure, you won't see the knuckle-dragging football types and their plastic cheerleader parasites hanging around swapping fanart with sweaty basement-dwellers with merchandise headbands, but maybe with a little bit of actual discernment and standards, the club won't be such an awful place to be. Maybe it needs me - even if it doesn't, it's still going to get me, so they all better start learning how to deal with it!"

Yeah, Zoey's your typical self-loathing nerd that tried to get hip, and turned mean when she wasn't taken seriously. She sees the club as someplace she can dominate, because the type of folks she's expecting to be there aren't the kind of people who tell you to get lost when you act like an rear end.

quote:

Playbook: The Harpy
Name: Zoey Sullivan
Look: Bleeding Edge of Fashion, Stormy Eyes
Origin: Former Nerd with Extreme Makeover

Stats: Hot -1, Cold +2, Volatile +1, Dark -1

[+] Elegant Egotist
When you turn someone on who currently has a condition you placed on them, roll with Cold instead of Hot.
On a 10 up, you can offer them experience to do something for you without spending a string.

[+] Lightning Talons
When you shut someone down in front of witnesses, add 1 to your roll.
If you roll a 10 up, they lose one intangible possession (a friendship, their sense of pride, their reputation)
until they successfully use shut someone down or lash out physically against you,
or otherwise assert their dominance.

Sex Move
After you have sex with someone, you must either compliment them or insult them.
If you compliment them, lose all your strings on them, give yourself the condition Going Soft, and mark experience.
If you insult them, treat it as if you shut someone down and rolled a 10 up.

Darkest Self
You’re never going to be happy, so why should anyone else get to be?
They’re all just victims waiting to be brutalized anyway,
and you might as well be the one to punish them.
It won’t make you feel better, but at least it’ll make them feel worse.
Pick out a vulnerable target and let them feel your talons. Don’t let up no matter what.
Push them right to the edge and watch them topple over.

You will recover from your Darkest Self when you drive someone to harm themselves in some way.

Your Backstory
Take two strings on your favorite victim.
You publicly embarrassed a powerful enemy, and they’re itching for revenge. Each of you take a string on the other.

Offered NPC: Coach Mark Torres

Everything about RUHS has nowhere to go but up, and the football team is no exception. A former pro player, the school district managed to pick Mark Torres up for the best price - zero bucks, on account of the community service he was sentenced to after a recent DUI. While a fairly reprehensible man personally, he appears to be getting results.

Offered Place: Grindhouse Roasters
The Grind popped up innocuously a few years ago. Their lower-than-Starbucks prices, proximity to RUHS and willingness to let teenagers hang around for hours despite only ordering a single drink has made it a popular afterschool hangout. The owners, an older hippie-ish couple from Portland, actively cater to their younger clientele, something that is alienating the adult customers, who want a quieter place with fancier offerings.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 7, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Amy Andrews
Everyone just wants to be happy, right? Happy and excited and having a good time. It's why we watch anime, so we can put aside all the drudgery of school life, or the banality of home, and just chill out and relax watching cute characters do cute things. Except for the not-so-cute shows but hey, if people like watching those, that's fine too! After all, while people being happy is the most important thing, it's even better if their happiness is true, something they're not afraid to show, something they don't just tuck away as a 'guilty pleasure' while they pretend to like what their friends like.

I love being happy, aaaaaaalmost as much as I love helping other people be happy - in the right way. While some might call me a busybody or... less nice things than that, it's just best to ignore that, and just focus on the positives in life. Anime's a great example; less drama than most TV shows, heroes who are actually heroic and nicer fans, who won't make fun of you for being who you are.

And that's important! Being who you are, that is - being honest and open and proud of it. Helping people realize that is a special kind of awesome, the best way to make people happy, even if they don't appreciate it at the time, and that's fine! Lies and deceit, on the other hand, are guaranteed awful; even the whitest lie is still a lie, and denying someone the choice of accepting a truth.

I don't know how this all started, really. All I know is that By the Light of the Full Moon I felt a... presence, and since then it just feels right to be a force for truth and justice, just like Princess Tsuki, or Shining Rainbow. Hey, it's totally a thing Magical Girls do, so why shouldn't I try my hardest, too?

pre:
Amy, the Werewolf
Look: Feisty, Fierce Eyes
Origin: Favoured by the Moon

Stats: Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0

Moves:
 Howl at the Moon
When basked in moonlight, add 2 to your Dark score.

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of
a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC
three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers,
add 1 to your first roll. • On a 7-9, ask one:
}} Where’s my best escape route or way in?
}} Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
}} What’s their secret weakness?
}} What poses the biggest threat to me?
}} Who’s in control here?

Backstory: 
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.
You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance.
Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit
connection with them. Until either of you breaks that
spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1
to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that
connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave
power and dominance, and those are earned through
bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they
must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape
your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really
care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.
Offered NPC: Joe Berg

Joe's been a janitor, technician and all-around handyman for more than a decade at Radcliffe. A simple man, he works hard without complaint, and is often the last person out of school before it closes. Uncannily, he seems to remember everyone's name, without making much effort to actually get to know them. Living by himself close to the school, Joe has amassed a quite sizeable number of stray cats that hang around him for food.

Place of Interest: 'The Woods'
Officially known as the 'Goldview Conservation Woodlands Area', The Woods are a few acres of forests and hills at the edge of the city, with a small lake - or large pond, depending who you ask, hidden somewhere within. A popular spot for hikers and lovebirds alike, it's quiet and isolated from the bustle of the city, and the view of the lake at night is spectacular.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 4, 2014

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Faust, if you're looking to avoid sharp objects you might have had poor luck choosing a hobby. :dota101:
But regardless of that, there was surely one time where your awful luck actually kept you out of danger. How did that turn out?

(Also, could you please break up your [pre] lines so they don't break our tables?)

(Sorry, sorted it out)

Well there is one time that stands out only because it was the most recent that I remember. So, I went to Silvergate City for a weekend trip, lovely place would recommend it to any of you, just don't do what I did and go to the really rough areas really late at night.

I mentioned the one time I got mistaken by street toughs for someone else, well, I went to see a show late one night, and decided to, rather unwisely, take a short cut, and as I was walking down this really seedy looking street, I hear some commotion behind me. I turn around to see what the fuss was, and there were like six real mean looking dudes with tats gathering behind me and one of them points at me and shouted "There! That motherfucka' right there!". I considered for a brief moment thinking maybe they were taking about someone else, right up to the point they pulled out various bludgeons and knives.

So deciding that, discretion being the better part of valour, I started hauling rear end, with these goons in hot pursuit, and I remember thinking,
"I would really really really like to be anywhere else then here right now" right when I bumped into some police men.
"Oh thank God, I'm in real trouble here!" I said, short of breath
"Too right you are, you are under arrest for assault and battery" he replied.

And I think I managed a 'Wait what?' Before the pushed me against the wall, slapped some cuffs on me and stuffed me into a police car. Also I am pretty sure one of them punched me in the stomach when I objected.

I spent a night and most of the morning after in a jail cell right up until one of the guys who came with me went to the station and proved that I was not the guy they were looking for, and I had an alibi to prove it, so they let me go, begrudgingly I felt, but no hard feelings. Getting mistaken for a criminal and dog piled by burly police officers was definatly not the highlight of my week, but neither would being on the receiving end of misguided street justice I reckon.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 3, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

(Images to be added soon)

Taped to the door of the room where the SOS Brigade Anime club is held, in incredibly neat handwriting.

quote:

Hello fellow students. My name is Dmitri.

I come from the Czech Republic. My father and I left our country last summer to work with roboticists here in Goldview. The rumors that he fled for criminal reasons is a falsehood and was spread to ruin his reputation as a roboticist and my reputation as a student. Also we have family here.

I would describe myself as a strong, hardworking youth who seeks friends and fun in my spare time. Some people claim I am cold and distant, but I do my best to connect with others. If I seem out of touch with something, this is entirely because of cultural differences.

I am told Japan is a major center of technological progress, and I hope that by joining this japanese animation club, I will get to understand the nation and it's many wonders better. I also hope to better understand my classmates and American culture, as I understand japanese animation is very popular here. I do not watch much japanese animation.

Please accept me into your club.

With regards,
Dmitri Dvorak

quote:

Dmitri Dvorak, The Hollow
Look: Stiff, Vacant eyes
Origin: Part Machine

Stats:
Hot: 1
Cold: 0
Volatile: 1
Dark: 1

Moves:
-This Body Has No Meaning: If someone deals harm to you without taking advantage of any of your Conditions, reduce that harm by 1. (You must have at least one Condition for this to apply.)
-Inhuman Gaze: When you shut someone down, roll with dark.

Sex Move:
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

Darkest Self:
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Backstory:
You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someone’s seen through your invented past, and realized it’s all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

Mila Dvorak
My cousin. She attends a nearby elementary school. We get along very well. My father sometimes worry I might hurt her. I worry someone else might hurt her. She is very adventurous and enjoys exploring nature and observing wildlife. When I supervise her, she likes to teach me things I already know about animals and plants. I have learned to pretend I did not already know what she told me.

Lamarr Laboratory
The Laboratory where my father and his colleagues work to create machines and technology to better aid mankind. It is home to many fascinating devices still being developed. I do not sleep here.

(Side note: I always feel like I don't use enough words.)

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 1, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Lisa, has your love of anime butted heads with your love of "helping" people? I mean, you sound like a real talker. Have you ever said something that you really shouldn't have to one of those know-nothing anime haters?

Faust, sounds like you know a lot of sayings and morals. Who told you all these stories? Any story really stand out? Like, an Aesop or a myth that's pretty "you"?

Milo, your mom really embarrasses you, huh? And since you're the new kid any bad reputation really sticks... What's the worst thing your mother's done in front of the students, Milo-kins?

Zoey, you have a passion for this art, more than a lot of people, but your drive had to have come from somewhere. What happened that made you so, well, bitter?

Amy, Magical Girls usually have enemies they fight for the sake of happiness. Do you have an arch-rival, like an evil queen or thuggish demon?

Dmitri, let me tell you about America. It's an awful place where women are awful and men are stupid. What's the worst horror story you've heard about this terrible terrible land, and who's a living example of it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Milo, your mom really embarrasses you, huh? And since you're the new kid any bad reputation really sticks... What's the worst thing your mother's done in front of the students, Milo-kins?

Ooooooh man. Well, she's second-generation Italian, so she grew up speaking the language. As a result, she often slips into it when she gets passionate about things. And, well...that includes her pet names for me. Il tesoro, Amore, Dolce, UGH. Hearing "It's-a me, Milo" is kinda funny the first time. Not so much the seventeenth.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Reagan Hennessy

They trusted me. All of them. Even as he abandoned me for my betrayal, my teacher said I “had the makings of a great mage”. What I needed to do was learn that magic was not about power alone.

Yet, I continued plotting retribution. They called themselves my kin as they stole my birthright and everything belonging to my true family. Who would not strive for revenge in the same position? But I suppose I acted no different than my tormenters in the end. I played with people's lives like pieces in a game (...Monopoly. Chess is such a cliché), and things got out of control.

War. An enormous conflict that destroyed the kingdom we had wanted so much. To keep hope from being lost forever, I and those still loyal to me formed an alliance with the man who had been my greatest enemy for so long. A powerful, desperate magic was cast. When his subjects needed him most, a king and his followers would return. I completed my spell in time to watch the one I trusted most fade as he gave me a last, fearless smile.

“I’m counting on you to finish off this little misadventure of ours. But if anything comes up, just call me.” Smarmy git. With that, I was left alone on the Isle, with nothing to do but hope for the best and wait for that destined day to come. I can’t say when or why I came to be reborn in the world of the modern Age. There is no great need that I see.

I returned on Samhain night. People were dressed in celebration, and they assumed my robes were just another costume. Which was why the police arrested me for a break in (I needed a place to stay for the night) rather than witchery. I became a ward of the state, for in this Age, you don't become an adult until your twenties. Eventually, I was adopted by a couple who couldn’t have children of their own. Leonard and Claire Hennessy. Kind, supportive...and more than probably aware of what I am (though not Who). I'd keep a closer eye on them if I didn't love them so much. They also took in a boy who is a few years my senior. Max, or Maxwell, if you're nasty. I'll try not to cause the death of this sibling.

To be honest (Enjoy it! It only happens once a year), I'm kind of happy with the teenager thing. No assassins or scheming nobles (well, the snobby brats at school), which is a definite plus. Just normal student responsibilities. I even have time for fun. True, my kingdom is but a mere memory now. But I'm reconsidering my desire for the fancy hat and the big chair (As for my magic, you'll get that after you pluck every nanite from my lifeless body). Given what happened last time I went after them, and the people who placed their trust in me? Maybe a halfway normal life wouldn't be so bad. I could always change my mind later.

Which brings me to the anime club. Mind you, I'm fan of a few specific shows, rather than the genre as a whole. Nothing's really stood out to me in the past year besides Fate/Zero and Hataraku Maou-Sama. What I really want is an after-school hangout while I figure out what my family are all about. I mean, I want to call them family, I really do. But won't allow myself to be hurt again. Ever.

pre:
Playbook: The Mummy
Name: Reagan Hennessy
Look: Compelling, unsleeping eyes
Origin: Betrayed royalty

Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

[+] Cursed Idols
You were buried with a large collection of cursed artifacts.
You can use these idols to your own advantage,
if you are willing to endure the side effects.
You can only use one idol in any given scene.

Each time you use an idol, choose a Blessing:

} Add 1 to one of your stats for a scene.
} Treat one roll as if you had rolled 10 up.
} Do 1 harm to someone.
} Remove 1 harm from someone.
} Give someone a condition of your choice.
} Remove a condition from someone.
} Take a string on someone.
} Choose a third highlighted stat for one scene.

Also, the MC chooses a Curse:

} Subtract 1 from one of your stats for a scene.
} Treat your next roll as if you’d rolled a miss.
} Take 1 harm.
} Gain a condition of the MC’s choice.
} Someone gains a string on you.
} An NPC acts with Advantage against you for the scene.
} One of your Mummy moves stops working for a scene.
} Your worst enemy marks experience.

[+] Sun-Blessed
Remove a condition and 1 harm when you spend a scene bathed in sunlight.
From sunset to sunrise you have the condition Weakened.

Sex Move
When you allow someone the privilege of lying with you, take a string on them.
They carry 1 forward toward any action they take that is intended to benefit you,
and take a -1 penalty to the next action they take that is intended to work against you.
If they are your soulmate, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You have been patient for longer than some civilizations have existed,
and now your patience is exhausted. No more planning, no more manipulating,
no more waiting. You know what you want, so take it.
Claim the riches that are your birthright. Eliminate rivals who covet your position.
If you have a soulmate, pursue them relentlessly. You are an unstoppable, implacable force,
and you can only escape your Darkest Self when you achieve at least one of your goals 
or someone else manages to force you into submission.

Your Backstory
Makoto Kageyama has accepted their place at your feet. Take a string on them.
You see Crispian Caius Avilius Constantine as a threat to your position. Give them a string on you.
If you have a soulmate, each of you take a string on the other.

Julie Moreau
I won't lie and say I like her just for her. But I do have this girl's best interests at heart. Baby steps, okay? Only a year ago, I was a new transfer student at Underwood. Julie saw that, and she took it upon herself to show me around. I do not forget a kindness, especially one given freely. But I must say, "Cheer Captain" is a far more useful title than the description would imply. Julie is connected, admired, and even given limited control over the direction this school takes.

Moreover...I recognize something in her, though I'm not sure what it is yet. A latent power. My scanning protocols have picked up minor disruptions in the ambient mana flow around her. Not to mention, even an athletic teen should not be quite so swift. If identified and harnessed, this power could prove to be an asset. I've already gained Julie's trust, in any case. A "friend" of hers endeavored to plant evidence that she was stealing test answers from our mutual teacher. I exposed the actual culprit, and for good measure, helped her study for (and ace) that exam. Since then, she's taken my counsel without question.

Elliot Hathaway
My magical abilities have deteriorated. Owing to the manner of my...reawakening, I'm in a younger body that can't channel mana as effectively. Moreover, the astral nanites have been purged from my blood. I still have the colonies, but it'll take time for them to regrow. Then I have to reconfigure my circuits. Plus, I'm just plain out of practice. At least I can still manage basic spells for opening locks. They came in handy on my first day, when I forgot my combination. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to find a collection of stuff belonging to someone else. A burly friend of Elliot had me dangling from his grasp in a thrice, while the boy himself demanded to know what I was doing in his locker.

Not a good first impression to make on anyone, let alone the star of the basketball team. Of course, I had to follow up by becoming best friends with his ex, and getting one of his teammates suspended (see above). Yeah, he has it out for me. Even had one of his bully boys manhandle me again to make sure I got the message. So be it. I accept your challenge, Elliot Hathaway. You shall face my wrath, and all who gaze upon your ruin shall know the fool who thought to better the Queen of Witches!

...Nnngh! No. None of that. I'll play his stupid game, but being a dumb jock is not a hexable offense.

I freely admit to being paranoid. It's helped me survive in the past. But I wouldn't suspect my family without good reasons. Mom had her place built right on a local ley line, for goodness' sake! No one does that unless they're expecting trouble, or preparing to cause some. Which isn't to say I haven't taken advantage of it. Sources of magic are rare these days. I can make do with sunlight...if I want to stagger drunkenly through the rest of the day.

So, I hang out here, instead. Max and I help Mom with work when they're shorthanded (incidentally, we're going to have words about that frilly uniform) And whenever I have a few minutes, I find a quiet spot to soak up some of that sweet mana and recharge my thaumaturgy system. I, uh, suspect the ley line is having...unexpected effects on our establishment. See that statue? I'm telling you, yesterday he was looking toward the kitchen. Plus, the staff have claimed to see strange things in the mirrors around closing time.

The Cafe also guarantees that I have a supply of leftover baked goods for club meetings. Usually breakfast pastries, which are the chef's bread and butter (but you can get that, too).

NPC: Maxwell "Max" Hennessy
My brother. drat, that sounds weird to say without mentally shaking my fist. He attends a local college and majors in English. Dad wanted another lawyer, but Max wouldn't hear of it (hope he doesn't try to sell me on law school next). My brother is a creative sort, too responsible to be called a free spirit, but getting there. He's got a real thing for cars and bikes, too. We see him fairly often at the cafe, but Max's "official" job is at a garage downtown. They get a fair bit of business from some of the teachers at Underwood, so I'm always getting questions about how repairs are going.

They say history doesn't repeat. It rhymes. So, I'm not specifically worried about him treating me like my other siblings. Max has always had my back. But he's noticeably closer to our parents than I am, and that bugs me. It doesn't have anything to do with my trust issues, either.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 13, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Dmitri, let me tell you about America. It's an awful place where women are awful and men are stupid. What's the worst horror story you've heard about this terrible terrible land, and who's a living example of it?

That is unfortunate to hear. I do not have the money to move to a better country, however.

There is one thing that bothers me a lot, and that is American food. It is so unhealthy. And there's so much of it that I'm certain world hunger would be resolved if more of the food was distributed to other nations. And the television shows on food seem to be less about food education than it seems to be about encouraging people to eat poorly. There's also meat everywhere. Slaughtering animals is much less efficient than growing protein-rich grains.

The absolute worst story I've heard about it is the about a cooking show called Uni Dining that was based in a nearby town. It was supposedly about teaching college students how to cook with limited resources, but instead it amounted to showing how people could mix one packaged piece of trash with another packaged piece of trash, and then put cheese on it and heat it in a microwave. Awful. Just awful. And then to make matters worse, the show was taken off the air because the host was arrested after he exposed his genitals onscreen to a female guest. Disgusting.

The living embodiment of all this would most likely be one of my father's colleagues, Professor Baxter. He comes from the state of Georgia (on a side note, it took me longer than I would like to admit that he did not come from the nation of Georgia), and he cooks in his spare time. He often brings in food to the laboratory. He claims the recipes for the food are passed down through his family, heirlooms in a sense. Nearly everything he brings to the laboratory has been fried in fat beforehand. Not only that, but the other faculty who work there love the food very much, and eat a lot of it. There is never any left over, they enjoy it so much.

The dish that bothers me the most is the deep-fried oreos. It is as if mass-produced cookies are not unhealthy enough.

He disgusts me.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 2, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Would this one be good for beginners or are there already too many people up?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

goodness posted:

Would this one be good for beginners or are there already too many people up?

Beginners are cool! You might be better suited in a basic skin, of course, but anyone with an idea is welcome.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah bloody hell I usually avoided Monsterhearts for not being enough anime. I will think of SOMETHING.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I owe you a bunch of NPCs and a location. At the risk of defying high school cliches, here are my thoughts so far. Her servant (more like Second Among Equals, she's trying to be good) will be a member of the cheer team who lost no time in making her feel welcome on her first day of school. Reagan senses a fellow supernatural. This girl is just a bit too lucky for mere chance. Similarly, her threat is a football player who is honest, bright, and expects the worst from Reagan. You haven't already decided who's who around the school, have you?

Aside from this, my application is pretty much set for now.

...Seriously, I want to know. What's wrong with Pratfall Prep that no one wants to go there?

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 2, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
There's never such a thing as "too many apps". And speaking of, here's my WiP!

Burton "Brightest Blue" Indiga, the Queen/King

/
As an idol singer, and in "normal" clothing

It's amazing what being multilingual would do to a guy's odds, isn't it? You sing in Japanese and suddenly you're the cock of the walk around here. I didn't go sign up for Anime Club--they saw me come in in my idol gear, they heard me sing for the Music Club audition, and they BEGGED me to join them. I mean, BEGGED, bent knees, genuflections, the works! You'd think they'd never seen an idol in the flesh before. Maybe they haven't. Well, I'm not complaining about a captive audience!

Who am I? WHO AM I?! My most horribly uncultured dearie, I'm ONLY what the Goldview music scene calls "Goldview's very own J-pop idol, showing how much Goldview's resurrection owes to the culture of the world while also pointing a way forward in modern pop"! I'm One to Watch on a dozen J-pop sites AND a dozen classical choral ones! I'm on the Julliard's short list! I have fans! I have shows! I sing English, Japanese, Latin, Italian, German, any language you want! My flame burns the Brightest Blue!

...unless you have the unfortunate chance to listen to my parents. In which case you have my pity...can I take this scarf and coat off for a second?

Okay, I'm going to tell you something I've never told anyone. You know where I started singing? Baptist church choir. My parents made me "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and "A Mighty Fortress is our God" long before I even learned a word of Japanese. That's why I can sing in all those European languages--that's what they're all written in. The drat thing is, mom and dad are both tone deaf. They wouldn't know if I was singing it right if I yelled it in their ears. But they wanted their son to be a good little Jesus boy, so they made me sing. They even did my hair up like the stereotypical choir boy! Do you know how much I got mocked for that in elementary school?!

...anyways. This coat, this scarf, this awesome hair? This is a rejection. A very awesome, very sexy (if I do say so myself!) rejection, but it's very much standing against something, more than standing for something. It's a complete break from everything my parents stand for. They've all but disowned me now, but I don't give a drat. More people know my name now than would ever have known it if I'd stayed singing in the church. So thanks for the voice lessons, parent peons! Now screw off! The Brightest Blue star has landed, and he's going to shine!

pre:
Name: Burton Indiga, aka Brightest Blue
Skin: The Queen
Looks: Stunning/icy, captivating eyes
Origin: Most popular kid in school (or at least the club)

Stats
Hot +2, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves
The Clique - You're at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. 
They count as a gang. Choose a strength:
They're talented (in music or sound editing)
And Your Enemies Closer - When someone betrays you, get a string on them.

Special Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition 
remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self
They've failed you. This is all their fault, and there's no reason why you
should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an
example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape
your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone
more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove
your might.

Backstory
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two 
Strings on them.
Clique member #1: Alex Moreno, the mixer

Three words for you: Total. Freaking. Nerd. That isn't soda or juice or milk tea he's drinking, it's "an herbal infusion for focus and energy" or some BS like that. I'll give this to him though, he knows his sound and acoustics cold. Does all the backing tracks and visuals for me. Video editing, music, the works.

Clique member #2: Barbara Summers, the groupie

You never lose your first one, huh? Don't ask her what her favorite song of mine is; she'll run down the whole drat list. But there is a big plus to having a hot girl hanging on your arm all the time, and it's not even the obvious one! It's the one that goes "Omigosh! Have you HEARD BB's new song?! Ya hafta, hafta, hafta!" She's like free publicity for me.

Clique member #3: Cory Wester, the backup/muscle

Nice kid with a nice voice; in a couple decades he might actually be as good as me! I have him as an understudy for now, moving speakers and singing "do, do, do" while I sing actual words. Everybody says his tattoo reminds them of real badass types, but I'm not seeing it. They say it suggests he's got connections with more...criminal elements.

NPC: Mr. Angelo Corello, music department

Stogy old bastard in the music department--specifically, marching band. He SAYS he's an aficionado of jazz and rock and stuff, but he hates my songs, so to hell with him! I'm gonna be more famous than he or any of the people he "worships" could ever hope to be!

Place of power: RUHS Parach Acura Multipurpose Auditorium and Theater

This is where all the dramatic arts in the school are centered around, named after some silly rich person. The stage is the obvious part, but there are orchestra and band practice rooms in the back, some piano rooms, a sound editing room where Alex practically lives, the works. I hear that the Anime Club's more A/V related components have a closet all to themselves, that's how much junk they have. Right now it's dominated by the Glee Club, the Theater Club, and a bunch of other no name clubs, but some day soon, nobody's going to dance a step or sing a note without my giving the okay!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 5, 2014

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Faust, sounds like you know a lot of sayings and morals. Who told you all these stories? Any story really stand out? Like, an Aesop or a myth that's pretty "you"?

Weird as realized they were when I grew up, Mother was a professor of English Literature, and Father owned a library, so they knew a whole bunch of old stories and tales to tell a young Faust Whittemore, a different story to tell every night before bed, those were the days.

But, one story that, I feel to this day, I try to remember in regards to my, condition, was yes, a Fable by Aesop, The Bee and Jupiter.

It was a story that was read to me, right after I first used my new found ability to, do some things I am not very proud of. I don't know if Dad knew what I had done, and wanted me to know this, or if it was just a coincidence that he picked it, the story goes like this.

A bee from Mount Hymettus, the queen of the hive, ascended to Olympus to offer Jupiter honey fresh from her hives. The God was delighted with the offering, and in return, offered the Queen a boon of her choosing.
The queen said "Give me, I pray thee, a sting, that if any mortal shall approach to take my honey, I may kill him."
Jupiter was of course, very unhappy with this proposal, as he loved the race of man more then anything, but, loathe to not uphold his promise, he granted it, but said this.
"You shall have your request, but it will be at the peril of your own life. For if you use your sting, it shall remain in the wound you make, and then you will die from the loss of it."

The Moral, was quite simple really "Evil wishes, like chickens, come home to roost.", but, I felt that it had a more literal meaning for me at the time, "My 'sting' might just be the death of me." I try my best to remember that when I am dealing with people, that I whilst would really wish for them to 'gently caress off the edge of my dick' the only thing that road leads to, is the Karma kicking me in the nuts more often then not.

... What's with that look? Were you expecting me to say 'Faust'? Well, yeah, I know why you would think that, but honestly man, I have not read that story, and who cites a story they haven't read from?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 2, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Huh, I thought I'd made those lines short enough. Changed Pre to Quote, that should fix it regardless. Also edited in an NPC and a place.

Zoey, you have a passion for this art, more than a lot of people, but your drive had to have come from somewhere. What happened that made you so, well, bitter?
That would be Caleb Miller. We got assigned as lab partners at the start of last year. Of course, I was totally pathetic and crushing on him hard. Track star, supposedly not a complete imbecile like the rest of his teammates, and of course he was cute. He didn't brush me off; of course, I know now that he put up with me because I was basically passing Bio -for- him, between doing most of the lab reports and being too oblivious to notice his occasional cheating off of me. I thought I had a chance.

Maybe if I was more like the girls he hung out with, he'd notice me. Go to the mall instead of cons. Trade eating sushi and Ramune for eating... well, not much. But I had to go back to the old well when it came to telling him how I felt. Our school doesn't have shoe lockers, of course, but a note slipped through the vents of his hallway locker would do, right? When I saw him walking towards the tree in front of the school that I'd mentioned in the note, towards me,my heart nearly stopped. Then he started laughing, and I wished that it had. It seemed like a goddamned eternity. His friends (and their girlfriends) even stopped by to join in, he was so loud. I'd never be like the popular girls. I was one of those anime geeks, a weeaboo, a loser. Doesn't matter that I spent so much more on the clothes I was wearing than I'd ever spent on DVDs and manga. I was tainted for what I loved.

Of course, I'd spent the last few months ignoring and otherwise evading most of my old friends. But when they heard about what happened, there they were. Don't they have any self-esteem? Don't they know that if he'd said "yes," I'd still be ducking them? Apparently, they can take it - which is good, because I've got a whole lot to dish out. Spineless dumbasses.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 2, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Went back and actually added a horror story.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Amy, Magical Girls usually have enemies they fight for the sake of happiness. Do you have an arch-rival, like an evil queen or thuggish demon?

Ugh, let me tell you about Jane Greene! She's president of the Literary Society, and so posh and snobbish, she acts like she's so much better than everyone! She's all polite in public, but as soon as you let her out of her sight she's gossiping and spreading rumours with her clubmates, saying this guy's friends only hang out with him because they think it's funny to pretend to be his friend, or that that girl spends her lunches crying in the bathroom because her dad hates her so much he's leaving her family.

She's smart, and has a bunch of friends helping her, so it's hard to try and to fight against all their horrible, cruel lies, and tell people things aren't as bad as she says, but nobody said being a real-life magical girl would be easy!

Also she thinks manga is for dumb babies who need pictures to help them read, and that's not true.

(Also I will have the NPC and Place of Interest on my charsheet up soon, I haven't forgotten about them)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Question, do I need to do an NPC thing for my 'Patron'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Question, do I need to do an NPC thing for my 'Patron'

Your dark power can be as real or ethereal as you'd like. Is it a voice or vision in your head, or do you literally have the devil in your basement? Anything works.

But yeah, a description would be cool for my purposes.

• Locked thread