Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zombywuf posted:

Who is this Tits Daily person anyway?
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

So former boxing promoter Frank Maloney has come out as trans and gave an interview how her gender dysphoria pushed her, at points, to the brink of suicide. You'd think that the press would be sympathetic, right?

Hahahahahahahaha no.

And people think the PCC is working?

At least the reaction from the boxing world (residual misgendering aside) seems to have been pretty positive? That headline's the worst response I've seen so far.

A Sloth posted:

Are you triggered by puns or something?
You realise that headline was a slur, right?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

Even people who get punched in the head for a living can remember to use correct pronouns and names more than the press can.
Surprisingly the Mail (online) coverage doesn't seem to be too bad, presumably because they don't want a repeat of the Lucy Meadows scandal. I'm guessing the 'top comments' were moderated with the fury of a dying star though.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

So, Julie Burchill, the famous "militant feminist" and writer of Sugar Rush has a new job, as the agony aunt for the magazine Loaded.

Whose June front page was this:

:downs:

To think she berates Brooke Magnanti for being a whore...

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

It would make most media feminists have an apoplectic fit.
Isn't that a (bad) wig as well?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

I can't see Julie Burchill being a good agony aunt tbh, she doesn't strike me as a sympathetic sort or a reliable source of advice about life's various problems.

The Telegraph's Agony AuntUncle is Graham Norton, who I wouldn't have said the same about either. He's actually not bad - these columns are far more about entertainment than useful advice anyway - but afaik he's not a transphobic shithole so that probably helps too.

Edit:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

That's less a rumour, and more that he's been on the show multiple times already.

Not to mention a literally global promotional tour.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Plat is UKMT's 42" flatscreen TVs :wankah:

I don't even own a TVplat account. :colbert:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

My wife gave birth to our first child on Friday morning. I highly recommend it if possible.

Cool. Is she available to carry mine now, or is there a waiting list?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

Random question: is it still possible to buy a SIM/mobile in the UK without having to fill out a form saying who you are and where you live? I was reading up on the 7/7 bombings and they used PAYG phones to avoid leaving a trace. I know this is hard/impossible to do in lots of other countries these days, but is Britain one of them? It's oddly hard to find out by Googling (or else my Google-fu is bad).
Pretty sure it is. I bought a PAYG phone when I was changing contracts. You can pick one up for a fiver without filling anything in (iirc). You *might* have to pay to get the phone connected to the network, but I think you could probably do that over the counter as well.

quote:

edit: apparently I have plat despite having never paid a single red cent for this account
:arghfist::(

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The guy who does them used to be a Big Issue seller and the cartoon was simply random stuff he'd seen while out on the streets. Big Issue dropping his strip pretty much marked the point it stopped being an interesting source of alternative opinion and started being a dull Time Out knockoff.

Maaan stop being wrong. It's pretty decent and he's a cool dude (I preordered his book which he had a ton of trouble getting printed, and we commiserated over Twitter). It's also one of the few consistently left wing perspectives.

The dense text in Private Eye means I tend to read it in spurts rather than solidly through in one sitting, but that's no bad thing for something that's a periodical rather than a daily newspaper.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Erm, I wasn't criticising him or his strip at all - I loved it in the Big Issue and it disappearing from there pretty much marked the point I stopped actively seeking it out (I still buy it out of guilt occasionally).

Oooh right okay, sorry.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

GC is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and I claim my £5.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

General China posted:

more being an apprentice

my education came from the working class

I thought all your education came from yourself?

GC is the One True Prole, caught in a recursive cycle.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

First up against the wall.

Actually, has anyone made a full list for the wall yet? We've got the rich, Tories, Stephen Fry, people who eat inferior crisps, and now pub quiz cheats?
Everything clever that Stephen Fry has ever said was read off of a piece of paper, so he probably counts for at least four of those himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Richard Attenborough is dead :saddowns:

• Locked thread