Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Harlock posted:

Enjoy your favorite team's playoff hopes dwindling.

Ha! Joke's on you. My team never had any. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Matt Cain is going to undergo surgery, will likely be out the rest of the season.

Also they've apparently officially DFA'd Uggla (and Tyler Colvin, which is too bad because Colvin was cool if not particularly impactful). In their place they're bringing up some people from AA.

Colvin gets cool points for getting stabbed in the chest with a baseball bat and continuing to play baseball, if nothing else.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

It just occured to me that Baez is looking at an MLB debut in Colorado. I'm hoping for at least one mile-long bomb. :getin:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

MourningView posted:

If I were a bigger cards fan I think I'd be really pissed about that amazing 04 team becoming a footnote to the Red Sox breaking ~*The Curse*~

Probably as pissed as the rest of baseball fans are at the lovely 2006 team actually winning it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

FairGame posted:

If we all agree that it's dumb--including many players (some of whom were run out of town by the DBacks org for expressing such an opinion)--why can't something be done about it?

Who cares if Arizona's not the only club that does it? You have to start somewhere, and this is a cut-and-dry case of a lovely organization calling for a revenge HBP that injured the league MVP in the midst of a pennant race. Montero flipped the bird to the pitcher. That was the signal to hit him.

There is nothing mysterious about this, and MLB is missing a great opportunity to try and remove what really boils down to assault.

Pitcher suspensions insufficiently long? Then lengthen them. gently caress pitchers that do this; let 'em miss 3 starts and 2 weeks worth of pay. If the Player's Union doesn't agree to "we're trying to lengthen your careers by keeping you from being injured" then they're fools.

This right here. I doesn't matter who gets hurt to start the outrage, but if it can boil high enough, we might actually see some sort of change away from this macho bullshit.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still of the belief that if Jeter somehow came up on a steroid buyer list, the media would ignore it or something. Remember that they basically gave David Ortiz a pass when he came up on that one list of users.

Yeah, he'd be the ultimate victim, forced to cheat to keep up with all the nasty, horrible real cheaters out there.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Deathlove posted:

I'm tired of this city always paying attention to the White Sox and not the Cubs. :(

Oh well, last night's win still feels good.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tinstaach posted:

e: How about making it so that the catcher has to catch the ball with both feet in fair territory, and the runner has to slide in foul territory? That's simple and objective.

That's pretty much the solution I had going in my head. Any non-tagging contact with the catcher in the correct position? Runner's out. Same thing, but catcher out of position? Runner's safe.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Schweinhund posted:

What if the throw's offline?

Follow it as best you can in fair territory. If it gets past, the runner's probably scoring anyway, so it becomes a bit of a moot point. It would be worth the effort to think of contingency wording for if the catcher has to retrieve the ball from foul territory and another runner is on the way. I'll admit I don't have an airtight answer to that particular problem.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Would it be better to put the catcher in foul territory instead, though? Seems like spinning around to make the tag would be pretty slow.

It is a little slow, but otherwise you're looking at potentially beaning a bunch of runners at the plate. While worlds different from HBP, you still don't want to do that. I think the ideal orientation would be to try to receive the ball while facing toward left field (or maybe right, I guess, if you have a mythical lefty catcher) so they wouldn't have to turn as much.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tadashi posted:

David Kaplan is confirming that the Cubs won the claim on Hamels. The original source was a DJ in Philly for some reason. Cole Hamels would be cool.

The contract bothers me slightly, but as long as we didn't have to give up much in trade (I'm assuming Rube is smart enough to force a trade, here) I'm for having this dude in blue pinstripes.

Timby posted:

"Hi, Ruben? Yeah, this is Jed Hoyer. I was wondering if you'd be interested in a former first-round draft pick named Vitters."

"As an extra bonus, you can have Brett Jackson as well! What I'm saying is I'm willing give up a lot for this guy."

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That makes sense. Doesn't Baez strike out a lot right now?

A shitload, yes. Obviously the Colorado series was fun for a debut, but we'll get to see how good teams beat him here before too long.

mentholmoose posted:

I have no idea how Baez's glove is, that might not be a good comparison.

Let's put it this way: he was kept at shortstop for most of the minors because he's athletic enough. There was never really a conversation of him being a shortstop in Chicago because Starlin Castro is better defensively with a few years under his belt. And yes, I really did just say that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Scob posted:

does baez have the mlb logo tattooed on his neck? maybe get bud selig on his arm next

It's a distinct possibility.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Niwrad posted:

Are Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters done for? I see they are doing pretty bad in Iowa.

Their best hope is another organization wants to give them a change of scenery at this point and will give the Cubs something interesting in return. Their future in the Cubs organization is roster filler if things start going horribly bad due to injuries to the higher talent guys. I believe the prevailing idea is there's more hope for Vitters than BJax, but that doesn't say much at this point.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tarlibone posted:

Maybe I've been burned too many times to just put my faith in this guy.

Oh, please, educate me in your team's historically lovely luck. :allears:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tarlibone posted:

If I'm a stereotype, that's fine. I like to think I'm a... Pioneer(TM).

Seriously, I'm going to let it drop. I will only speak positively of Mr. Taveras going forward, and I won't even be sarcastic about it.

I honestly don't give two shits about Taveras himself. He should be given all the playing time he can to see if he can live up to top prospect potential. This will undoubtedly include tough times and it has to be seen how he gets out of it, if possible. I'll bet money he's at least a decent everyday outfielder when all is said and done. Probably above average, even. The point is the kid needs months of consistent MLB exposure before you can accurately judge him.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Popete posted:

Pitching is clearly the next area that needs to be addressed but I think their plan all along has been to build offense first and when the time is near start making trades for the big name pitchers. Theo and Hoyer have said as much that this is the last year of flipping pitchers, it's time to start collecting. I think they are in a decent position right now, but of course there are still some big gaps to fill in the mean time.

And not that they've been completely neglecting pitching, but what they've been doing in trades is "give us some guy that can throw a ball at a catcher" for the most part to keep arms in the minors. Most probably will amount to less than nothing, but they're there, at least. Obviously, if someone offers Addison Russell, you say yes and worry about pitching later.

e: vvvv That too

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 18, 2014

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

The Cubs hype is getting out of control. Javier Baez is currently on a trajectory to be Mark Reynolds 2.0 and even if there's a 75+% success rate on their ballyhooed hitting prospects I'm not exactly thrilled with a plan for half of the game i.e. run prevention being "TBD." If they miss on Scherzer what...they get James Shields aging into his mid 30s? Maybe Lester? What if Arrieta turns back into a pumpkin?

They have some awesome assets, and Bryant looks like a monster, and Rizzo has developed better than I had thought. Just not seeing this Cubs Juggernaut thing as much as others are.

You obviously haven't heard from the Cubs fans that hate Theo and Jed (and the Ricketts) with unbridled passion because they won't spend all the money in the world on every high level free agent to put wins on the board right now. At least everyone thinking every single prospect is a future hall of famer are sitting around being happy, denying the true nature of baseball = pain.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it's pretty clear that Baez needed more time in AAA, based on what I'm seeing

Possibly, but he struggles for a while at every different level. The thinking was that he could work out some kinks this season and be ready to actually show up next year.

e:fb

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Camo is going to be what kills me some day, I know it. I have a niece that went to prom last year in a camo dress.

My only source of hope is that the Cubs only wear anything camo when forced to by MLB.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Not to mention they might have some sort of injury plague that they're carrying around from being on the Rangers this year. The risks are far too great.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The actual downpour only lasted a few minutes, but the rain delay lasted longer because the Cubs ground crew failed to cover most of the infield in time, and the base paths were rendered unsuitable for play. IMO the Cubs should be forced to forfeit, since it was their grounds crew who messed up.

The umpires should have called for the delay sooner. They were waiting for the 5-10 minutes of "light rain" (per their weather report) to blow over instead of the incredible downpour that occurred. Sure the tarp situation didn't help, but I don't think you can entirely blame the grounds crew here. On the other hand, watching Giants fans today is hilarious.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Abel Wingnut posted:

Oh yea, I'm not saying DFA or release him. Let him work and try to regain his ability to pitch, for sure. I'm just wondering if there's any hope of him actually regaining that ability. I can't say I've seen any signs of improvement in any facet of his game. Like, I can't tell if he's even trying new things or not. He just goes out there with seemingly the same repertoire and gameplan and lo and behold gives up five runs in five or six innings like clockwork.

There's the theory floating around that he doesn't respond to coaching. This at least makes sense on the surface with everyone else becoming magicians under Bosio but Edwin just continues to poo poo it up regularly. I would love for some salvage here, but I'm not sure he's going to get any better during his time with the Cubs (however long that ends up being).

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Retail Slave posted:

So when was the last time a team won an appeal like the giants did?

June 16, 1986
It was a Cardinals-Pirates game where the umpires didn't wait long enough before calling the game or someshit.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Aaaaand there's Edwin Jackson to the DL with a right lat strain.

Take all the time you need to get better, buddy. :unsmith:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Lorini posted:

It would be hilarious if it got finaled again.

The Giants then protest playing games in the city of Chicago. Protest upheld, any games against Cubs or White Sox to be held in San Jose.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

MaximumBob posted:

Reminder: the Giants already oppose the playing of baseball in San Jose.

Well, I was figuring they would be okay with it if they were playing there since it's their god-given territory.*

*Given to them by the A's

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress the Cubs.

I enjoy that that stupid article took the "because of the ACA!" argument at face value.

Gordo is lovely at his job. Cutting grounds crew costs is potentially more lovely, however.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jake Arrieta

:golfclap:

Does Strop count, too?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

N: Apparently the Cubs got clarification of the home plate collision stuff by asking Joe Torre in New York

V: It could be summed up by "plant your feet in fair territory". At least the confusing part re: the catcher and the lane. Hopefully they'll revise the wording to better reflect this in the offseason.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I guess I'm not as excited about Soler as most others. Likely has to do with the fact that his body only seems held together with hopes and dreams at any given point.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am excited about any Cubs outfielder who is not Junior Lake.

You make an excellent argument. Consider me aboard the hype train.

I do hope some form of repurposing can happen with Lake, but it's no great loss if he's done forever.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Mobius posted:

I keep seeing people suggesting he should switch to pitcher... I dunno. But he's pretty awful at everything else, so maybe? I don't see him sticking anywhere else.

Yeah, that was what I was vaguely referring to. Just about the only thing he can do well is throw, so it might be worth the time to see if he can figure out how to pitch without killing people.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Mugwump posted:

That player is about to be benched for breaking the facial hair policy.

Yeah, I was wondering earlier if such horseplay would be allowed under Old Man Steinbrenner.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I've only been to Kauffman in KC and Hammons Field in Springfield, MO. I didn't even get to see a game at Hammons, though, since it was rained out. We just sat around and ate hot dogs for a couple hours because they were free with our seats.

My baseball world is far too small. :smith:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

R.D. Mangles posted:

"Armando Mendoza (who goes by @DaaDozer on Twitter) went to the Dodgers-D-backs game Tuesday wearing a T-shirt that said "We won the West. Now Where's the Pool."

I'm no Dodgers fan, but that shirt owns. Hopefully there will be a Cubs version soon.

Also, I will fistfight anyone that calls a hotdog a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Groucho Marxist posted:

the only unacceptable cheer is rock chalk

I hate Jayhawks fans so much and I'm always surrounded by them.

Closer to on topic, I hate cheers and other bullshit started by the stadium. At least the one good thing the wave has going for it is that it's the fans starting it.

• Locked thread