Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ahh, that new LP smell, before the terrible choices and in jokes have started. Breathe it in folks, I’m sure we’ll have some terrible innuendos fogging up the air soon enough.

Oh, sorry, I’m supposed to tell you about the game here, aren’t I! How silly of me.

Welcome to the Advanced Tactics : Gold LP.  I’m Grey Hunter, and if you’ve never heard of me, I’m the crazy guy who once did a 5 year long LP doing daily turns. Also I once blew up a planet by accident.

Shut it you rambling fool. What is Advanced Tactics Gold then?

ATG is a hex based strategy wargame using technology equivalent to WWII - the difference is that it uses random maps and sides to fight over, rather than  setting up a historical setting.

Why is this interesting? Well, I love historical wargaming, but I will be one of the first to tell you the problem with it - Hindsight is 20/20 - When you invade Russia in 1942, you know that there is going to a harsh winter in a few months, just as your enemy knows that he can trade space for time and defeat you when his troops get stronger.

In ATG, the random maps mean that you don’t have that extra knowledge, you can guess that some areas are going to freeze, or attacking through that jungle will be slow, but you don’t know that your enemy only has 18 months of oil left before their war machine collapses.

While it does not have the depth that a historical game has, it has its own interesting quirks. I’ll explain the game as we go along, but now we need to get into making a nation. While the maps are random, I can edit our country to give it a suitable goony name and we get a choice of a national group - mostly based off the different factions from WWII earth.

ATG has numerous unit types and you make units from them, it has two downfalls though, the first is that every unit has to manually resupplied. So every time you take losses, you have to transfer units from the HQ to every unit, which is time consuming.  The second is that there is no diplomatic AI beyond war or peace. Once two nations are at war, they will be at war until one or the other is destroyed. No alliances, no peace treaties. You basically all start off at peace then things go increasingly to hell.
This can mean that you get all of your neighbours attacking you in turn 1- which means you will lose - but most of the time it works out ok.

There are a large number of units, each with their own specific uses - infantry are cheap, and good on the defensive, but poor at attacking, SMG’s are the same, but have bonuses that gear them to fighting in dense jungle or cities, you can get tanks, planes, ships, artillery and all the other materials of war.  What you use in each situation is a key part of the game.

As an example, Anti-tank guns are good against armour, but get a 3x bonus on the defense, so if you’re attacking an armoured unit, you want your own, heavier tanks or lots of Bazookas, if your on the defensive, these things are the go to.

This situational need for units is what makes ATG so interesting - there is no 100% winning situation. There are a few tricks to make good units of infantry, but after that it really depends (as in real life) on the terrain and/or what your opponent is fielding, as well as if you are the attacker or on the defensive.

Picking our side

What I want from you is this tell me what our nation is called, and what national group it is based off. While this is mostly cosmetic, it does affect what our special unit is. This is a powerful or  - quirky unit that only members of that national group can get, and while it may or may not be useful, it does provide a bit of flavour to the nation.

The National groups are as follows.:

quote:

Germans
Only people that can research V-weapons and build super-heavy tanks when heavy tank research is completed.

V Weapons are long ranged single shot bombardment weapons, while super-heavy tanks are self explanatory, it also be said they are of limited use – heavier tanks are only better against lighter tanks, so only if there has been a major arms race will these really shine.

Anglo-Saxon
Only people that can build Rangers.

Rangers are the best infantry in the game, expensive but good on the attack and the defence.

Russian
Only people that can research Katushya’s. These are one shot artillery weapons that are good at pounding the enemy, but then need to be rebuilt.

French
Only people that can build cheap fortifications and super fortresses. You like being on the defensive? Then the French are for you!

Arab
Only people that can build Guerrilla’s. These are cheap units that provide good recon for your main forces.

Chinese
Only people that can build Militia. Cheap and cheerful, the Militia is a fantastic stop gap measure if you are being overwhelmed by the enemy.

Japanese
The Japanese have 60% basemorale instead of 50%. Its also the only people that can build Kamikaze’s. Kamikazes should be self explanatory, but the base morale means all of our men are harder to break in combat.

Worldbuilding

Now we should generate a world. We have a few options, I’m going to used a looped map, so we can backstab our enemies, and it will be a large map with six nations and normal tech start.
Here are the other options we can select.

Once people have voted on their favorite settings we will generate the map.  I will then make a good sized version of it for people to look at. At that point we will begin to name parts of the map for reference - the seas,  islands continents ect - mainly so we all know what we are talking about rather than “That little bit of water there”.

Player input.

While I will be running the game, there will be something for you lot to do beyond telling me how rubbish I am.
The first way is the game uses characters to represent Generals, these gain experience and skills, and can be renamed. These are high level commanders taking over a Corps equivalent HQ unit at the lowest level, then going up to the Supreme Commander. Who will be me.

If you want a commander, please post so, and I’ll compile a list.

The second way will be in tactical advice. While this won’t be a full politics LP, I’ll probably ask questions at the end of each update along the lines of “should we declare war on X” or “Should I call a general assault”

The last way will be in spending political points. These are generated by cities and are used for both the hiring of Generals and the creation of new units and buying new units from the research tree.  I’ll use any points I need for the day to day running of the war, and then let you know what excess we have to spend on new kit.

So, that should be if for now. I’ll do a rundown of the game proper once we have our map and nation.

TL:DR Version

Vote on or suggest the name and national group of our nation.
Apply for an officer position.
Bicker amongst each other.

Pacom

Pre-war status
Preperations for War
The War begins
Closing the pocket

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well, officers need no skill, as its just for fun.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 2, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right a quick tally to here.

PACOM - 3,
Empire of Grognardia - 3
The People's Republic of Grayvorgoon - 2
Goonenwealth - 2

Everything else 1.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, Japanese Pacom has won! I've got a good map (first time as well) and I'll gt back to you with the State of Pacom as soon as, then we can get to naming bits of our new world.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We are a world about to be at war.

The Six nations of this fine planet of Grognardia have become to come to blows.

We are Pacom, a proud race of Japanese decent. We hold a large swatch of land on the main continent. Our neighbours are The following.

Domain of Orleans, who are French and occupy much land to our east.
Guangzou Fiefdom, the Chinese people to our south east.
The Sultinate, and Arab people who's lands are split by many bits of water.
The Soviets – Russians who live both our north and our south, a small land bridge is their only contact with us.
Kent State is also present, Anglo-Saxon's who occupy the easternmost part of the main continent.

Pacom is a proud nation, and shall win the upcoming hostilities. Our land is planes to the north and east, desert to the south and forest to the west. We have a small mountain range in the centre of the country.
We have nine major cities, and while we have only just begun to mobilise our forces for war, we still have a few units.

Toyko is our capital, from here, I, Supreme commander Grey Hunter, manage the armies. Tokyo is near many of our raw material and oil producing sites.

Currently the Supreme HQ has 348 rifle companies, six trains but only ten staff members to run it! To read these diagrams you will need a little training.

At the top is the unit stats. The SHQ has 100% of its action points (AP), and is at 100% Readiness (RDN). Its experience (EXP) is at 10%, its Morale (MOR) is at 59% and its entrenchment level (ENT) is 136.

Its STF (Staff) level is only 7%, so the unit is running at 7% efficiency. It ha 3912 supply, and needs 740 and is getting all of that. LOSS represents how much of the unit has to be destroyed before the unit retreats, and SUPP is the percentage of requested supplies that will be allocated to this unit by command.

Commanding the unit is me, I can effectively command 53 staff officers at the moment, give 33% combat bonus and a 24% morale bonus, but as yet I have no experience at war. Apparently I have been here before I took power.

This is a standard Garrison unit, we have three of these at each city. It is made up of the following units.

15 Rifle units – these are good on defence and the basis of every unit. They are not so good attacking however.
5 SMG – these units are like riflemen, but get a bonus in cities and dense terrain.
2 Machine guns – good defensive units these weapons will slow an attacking unit down.
1 Mortar – a rear line unit that is good for supporting attacks.

We also have one of these units in each city. Engineers are needed to build defensive fortifications, military facilities, and to upgrade our material production.

On that point, I should explain production.

PP represent Political Points, these are used to create new units, hire new goon officers and research new technologies, we have a good stock and are getting 84 a year. Raw materials are needed for the production of any vehicle. We have 120 coming in a turn and are currently using all of them. Oil is needed to move most of these vehicles, we have no units needing this stockpile at this time, so it is increasing by 1250 a turn.

At their basic (and current) level, Raw material sites produce 20 tonnes of ore each a month, while oil wells produce 250 points a month. These can be upgraded using resourced and political points, along with a unit of engineers.

This is a list of the research we can do. Each level is a improvement to that type of unit. The technologies need political points to buy.

Right, that is enough of an overview. For now, we need to do a few other bits of setup.

1) – We need to name parts of the world – oceans, mountains, other notible features. So I'm not forced to keep saying “the ocean to the west”

2) – What shall we call our Supreme Headquarters?

3) – If we are not attacked by one of our enemies, who should we plan to attack?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

I think you may have gotten east and west backwards, judging by the provided picture.

Dammit. So I have!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

NewMars posted:

I would just like to say that my request to name our most powerful group at any time the Tokyo Bay Naval Fortress is completely compatible with this one. The objective is to confuse enemy intelligence!

So both the largest unit and the Supreme HQ? I can live with that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Who to attack: Dependes on the alliances. But Sultinate looks like the best target. Most of their land is across the sea so it should be easy to grab their adjacent lands. They won't probably have any Navy to speak of at the begining, so we should be safe.

It should be made clear that everyone has the same 4 units per city and base tech at the moment, so the only differences between the powers are terrain, tactics and the one special unit. That will change quickly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here are the names we have so far. We can add to them as we go.

The first thing I need to do now that I have taken control of Pacom is to sort out the production. There is no way that the 27 Garrison units are going to be able to protect the nation.
From Tokyo Bay Fortress I plot. While I have enough men to create a number of units, I only have ten people working for me. Maybe I was a little overenthusiastic with the purges. I am going to be forced to throw the officers club open to any old goon.

The nine cities of Pacom are currently producing 3,070 supplies a month, 84 political points, 348 Riflemen and 6 trains. All our cities except Tokyo have the same production capability.

I mess with the numbers, we need engineers to build up our material production, staff to command the soldiers, and we cannot drop our supply or political point production to much. That said, I am able to reduce the number of riflemen being produced and order the manufacturing of Mortars and Machine guns.

I do not create any units at this time, as we do not have the ability to command them properly. I leave on garrison unit and the engineer brigades in each city, the other units fan out to the borders to give us eyes and ears out there.

Here is the turn start menu, We have no losses and have burned no supply, but it seems that the Guangzhou Fiefdom is now at war with both the Domain of Orleans and The Soviets! That means that most of the potential threats along our borders have already started a war, leaving only our target, the Sultanate, without an enemy.

The Sultanate has moved units onto the border, but we don't know how powerful they are. The number under our own units is the combat score – the higher, the better! This is an aggregate of the units contained in the container, and therefore is only useful to a point – a unit with a high combat score will still lose if its made up of tanks attacking an anti-tank division!

The Dominon to has put troops on our border, we can see ones of these, it is part of the 6th HQ unit, and is a garrison unit, the fog of war says it is less powerful than our own units, with one less MG, but in reality it is most likely to be the same composition.

The Fiefdom has also put troops on the border, but this is not to be seen as a hostile move as yet – they are doing as we are, putting men near the borders to prevent a sneak attack.

Another look at TBF shows we now have 500 companies of riflemen, but are only at 54% staffing. I tweek the numbers a little more.

I do send the engineers out to some units, as I want them working as soon as possible.

The garrison units move to their final positions, spaced out enough that we don't have any real blind spots.

Unsurprisingly, Kent state attacks the Soviets.

We now have the manpower to begin constructing units.

I begin by making five HQ units. One for the two “quiet” fronts and three for the Sultanate Front. I do this and create a leader at the same time.

General Sniper4625 is in command of 1st HQ in Kuii. He and his 25 staff members are responisble for the Guangzhou front. His units are the ones with the side bar that matches the one shown on the HQ. Sorry that these colours are not going to be super-easy to read.

Also with 25 staff members is General Lotish, of the 2nd HQ on the Dominion Front.

General Pakled's 3rd HQ controls the troops in and around Tokyo.

General HiHo ChiRho Controls the Central Sultanate front.

Finally, General Soylent Pudding controls the Western Sultinate Front. He has the least number of troops at this point, but lets do something about that!

Lets explain this a bit more, using the same button as before I create an empty unit container.

After that I use the transfer button to move troops into it. This allows me to move anything from the containter selected (TBF in this case) to another unit. If they are not in the same hex, they have to use other modes of transport – hence the fact I've been building so many trains.

I have 600 infantry and 12 MG/Mortars. So I decide to make six equal sized divisions. 100 infantry, 2 MG, 2 Mortars – this is light on the specialized equipment, but I want to put units onto the field for now!

I then use the strategic transfer button to rail the 1st Division up towards the front. This uses the same pool as the normal transfers, so you need a good number of trains if you want to rail stuff around in large numbers. As moving this unit takes up all of our cap, the other five divisions, making two each for the Sultanate commands, will have to remain in Tokyo for now.

I change production once more, less political points, staff and engineers, but more machine guns, infantry and mortars. I also start building trucks. As these will be needed to transfer supply and units over shorter distances, so while they are of no use to TBF, the sub commands will need them.

No new wars this month, fuel stockpiles are increasing.

On that front, its time to start using these engineers. Here I have to play 40 EP (engineering points), which come, surprisingly, from Engineering units, I also have to find 40 Political points and 167 supply. What his will do it boost the amount of oil this well produces from 250 to 1000! Our monthly income goes from 1250 to 2000.

I go on an upgrading spree, burning most of my political points but nearly doubling our income of supplies and oil.

I create a 7th Division and assign it to 3rd HQ. This and all the other divisions in Tokyo get more MG's and mortars.

I strategic transfer out what I can, then set the other units to marching.

I change my production orders a little, Artillery is going to be needed to break up the enemy units before we attack. I'll also want some tanks before we go, but I want to build up some more oil before then. These artillery units can be towed using the trucks we are producing.

I'm going to keep this reletivly short, but lets have a look at how those other wars are going.

The Orleans Dominion is not doing well against the Guangzou Fiefdom, they have units cut off and are losing ground.

On the soviet front, things are more stable.

This is probably because its the secondary front for both sides. The soviets are hammering deep into Kentian Sovietland.

Next time, I attack the Sultinate.

Commanders, if you want to rename your HQ's, go ahead!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

LokAmir posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but going from the large map at the start, this looks like its the Soviets that are getting hammered.
Engels was theirs when the game started.

~Your right, I thought that they had made a push into Kent lands, but no, Kent State has joined their two bits of land and taken a Russian city!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Can you remove me from the command waiting list? Not sure I'll have the time to participate.

Commanders don't "do" anything, they are just there to have no game generated names, and so we can all blame people when things go wrong.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-Pacific/

Finally.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

NewMars posted:

That's... did it actually take a year to archive it?

Veloxyll posted:

Well, to be fair, the first year or so's images had to be re-uploaded to Lpix after Waffle Images stopped working.
So it wasn't just a case of Baldurk posting it to archives one day at a time.

Yeah, images needed to be uploaded, Then I needed to check all updates for missing bits. as well as doing my normal LPs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our increased fuel production kicks into gear.

I rail out the two Mechanized Kawaii Commandotroepen Divisions I created last turn, and create a new one in Tokyo.

3rd HQ doesn't get a cool/funny name, but it does get some artillery! Although they look like trucks here as I accidentally transferred all the trucks to this unit. Its a minor mistake I can correct next turn.

I modify production again, I have enough staff now, and I want tanks and SMG's to help fight in the forests. I would build more tanks, but this production is stressing our mineral supplies as it is!

I am not willing to start a war this late in the year, but more time to build up can only be good.
We boot raw material production once more.

This month I go to move supplies to the HQ, only to realise I have let Tokyo Bay Fortress's supplies drop to dangerously low levels. We were not even able to send out all the supplies needed last month!

Another trip to the production screen should see this problem fixed.

Army Group Centre gets a new division this turn.

As I expect 3rd HQ to be doing the hard forest fighting, they get the first SMG unit.

We begin to replenish our supplies.

Looking at the number of troops under his command, I decide that it is time to Turn 3rd HQ in 1st Corps. Leperflesh gets a new Hq on the eastern flank.

Tevery Best gets the western flank. He will get his staff members next turn, as I made the mistake of not forming his unit on a rail line. Also of note are the Sultinate armoured cars, these are a worry, as they are a tough fight for the infantry.

As a counter, I create the 1st Armoured, with all three tanks we own. This is given to General Best, and should give us the edge.

I'm now going to talk a little bit about supply. Some of you may be asking why I'm putting the bulk of my troops in the area with the worst terrain?

Well, it comes down to supply lines. Although the forests will be tough to fight through, they have a good rail link running north. On the other side, the rail lines go through the Dominion territories, so I can't use them.
Green is good supply, yellow is average, red is poor. We have no red, but as you can see, even within our own borders, we are having supply issues. I will be beginning a rail line north towards Fez, but for now I'm going to have to take it slow.

I decide to make Army Group Centre an actual army group. Why? Well, partially to get some more names off the list, but mainly to give me more flexibility later on. See that yellow bar underneath the units in some of the screenshots? That shows readiness, changing command structure is bad for unit readiness, and doing now gives them time to recover before the war starts.
AJ_Impy gets the left, The right will have to wait until next turn when I get more Political points.

The fact we have trucks moving means we are burning a little fuel now.

Jobbo_Fett takes command of the right of AGC. I need more staff again, and a whole load more supplies.

I give the order to churn out supplies and staff. I also order a submarine to be built a month – these will be used to hurt the Sultinate should they try and move troops or ships across the Kawaii sea. I also create another artillery unit.

The Sultanate are not fools, they know what is happening, and get their attack off first. Our troops give better than they get, taking out more of the enemy infantry and one of their armoured cars.
Still, they will pay for this unprovoked attack!

Their forces are striking out of the forests and into the planes, HQ 9's forces are going to have to about face to engage them – this is the only gap I have left in my line, and the AI finds it.

Leperflesh gets the honour of the first strike, his men go into action, moving to encircle a garrison unit and an engineer unit. I call in a preparatory artillery strike.

This gives me a chance to explain the combat dialogue! Here you can see the two units we bombarded, ignore the fact that our artillery “retreated” here – that just means they fired for as long as they could for this turn, and ran out of action points (AP)

The bars next to each unit is showing the hitpoints and readiness of each individual unit in the container, as you can see, we have weakened them a good amount, and destroyed several units! The retreated ones are not going to be in a good state to stop the infantry attack after this!

There is a “combat width” for attacking – you can only fit so much war material in a small space after all! I order two units to finish the job.

Even after the barrage, we take some losses – infantry get a good bonus on the defensive, and are not great on the attack. But in this case, we need to use them, and the kills outweigh the losses.

We follow this with another attack, and send the enemy into full retreat – only one company of enemy soldiers survives our onslaught.

Our second artillery unit gives the garrison with trucks a going over before the attack – the enemy here has machine guns and infantry guns, and causes a lot higher losses on our men as they fight to the last man. This is a lesson that the Sultanates are not always going to flee in panic.

We press into the Sultanate lands, we are going to race to the sea to cut off those advancing units.

We redeploy HQ-9 to face the oncoming Sultanate forces.

The Mechanized Kawii command also push forward, engineers behind them begin work on the supply rail road.

3rd Division advanced against slight resistance from a small garrison unit. Early recon reports suggest the Sultanate have blown the bridges near Fes.

I then have to do something about that great big hole in our lines – I create a new HQ and order General Veloxyll to hold the line. He does get the 2nd Armoured, made up of four tanks and ten armoured cars.

The Sultinate strikes back with an air strike. The fact that they have carrier fighters means we need to expect an aircraft carrier at some point. We also need our own fighter force.

They bring up some of their own tanks and force one of our units to retreat.

We hold off several attacks on the Army Group Centre and Mechanized Kawaii Command sectors of the line.

Once more, we kill more than we lose.

Two of our Generals gain in experience. While it says they both have a card, I can only see one of Leperflesh, who has a 30% of getting blitz card. Cards are special abilities which I'll explain more once they are used.

The Mechanized Kawaii Command forges forwards, cutting off several Sultinate forces. Meanwhile the supply line moves forwards.

8th HQ attacks the units that are now cut off, the mines get damaged slightly, but we clear them out.

I use 7th (brown) and 9th (Blue) to surround the enemies attack force.

On the far flank I use our remaining forces to try and force the Sultinate forces to withdraw.

Finally for this turn, I order the production of Anti-Aircraft guns, fighters, anti-tank guns and bazookas.

For this turn – The Sultinate may be building a navy. Do we build our own or concentrate on winning the ground war on our continent?

Also, there are more units to name.

I've tried a larger image format this time, let me know if its a pain.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 8, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

All the images look fine except for:

That one breaks my tables.

All quiet on my front, I suppose?

Fixed

Yeah, no movement from the Fiefdom. You will probably be quiet for a good while, until they backstab us.

Yapping Eevee posted:

This thread keeps throwing me for a loop, since every other SSLP puts the relevant text after the image it's related to, not before it. :sweatdrop:

Also, I'm not quite clear on how to read the combat screens.

I can switch round if you want, its a personal preference, but doesn't bother me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Haha you misspelled "Leperfish" as "Leperflesh." :)

Sorry! I'll correct it forthwith!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Depends on the ship and how much I'm throwing at it. I can plunk a destroyer a turn, but a battleship/carrier will take some time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That is not the greatest pocket in the world, but it will cut them off from supplies for now. There is no HQ in the pocket, so no chance of a supply stockpile, so we should see them degrading pretty quick. lack of fuel will hurt them the most.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We continue to kill the enemy at a good rate.

AJ Kasen Impy is promoted.

He gets the blitz Card – playing this is risky, but can be great for making breakthroughs.

The pocket didn’t hold, and now the highlighted division is cut off from its HQ unit. The red square shows it is not getting the supplies it needs.

Meanwhile a column of enemy units, lead by a now experienced tank, seems to be driving for our capital.

The Leperfishes get four tanks to counter that lead unit.

I close the pocket up again. Then form a couple of new units, including a wing of two squadrons of fighters. I have to add to units, which leaves me with no AP to make attacks bar one to cut off the advancing enemy.

I order an attack on Fez, but it makes no headway and takes heavy losses.

I then build a tank factory in the interior. Factories are a special area you can build that acts as a production facility for only a few uni types – they are very useful for not clogging up you cities, and in this case, churning out tanks and armoured cars.

The Sultinate continue to try and push us back.

We lose a little of our artillery, but are still dealing out the damage. Leperfish and Soylent Pudding both go up a level. Leperfish gets his Blitz card.

Soylent Puddings Mechanized Kawaai Command has to deal with an attempted encirclement.

With the help of the Impyrial Guard, they forge forward. I forgo attacking to get units across the river unopposed.

It is time to reduce this pocket some.

The lack of supplies means that the enemy begin to crumble. Our ranks make mincemeat of them.

We smash them and cement the pocket.

An aircraft factory begins to churn out bombers.

We continue to hold off the counter attacks by the Sultinate forces.

The western flank is now ready to engage the enemy properly.

We clean up the flanks and get ready to isolate the city.

The main trouble in the pocket is those two tanks. We will attack with four tanks of our own.

Despite the fact that the enemy have had no supplies for months, and we out number them, our troops panic in their attack, and after we lose a tank we begin to retreat.

We have to finish the job with artillery and air strikes from our new bomber wing.

The Soviets have lost a lot of land to Kent State troops, including several cities and material production points.

The Guangzou Feifdom is making good advances against the Orleans Dominion as well. These two countries seem to be the biggest threats at this time.

The Sultinate certainly has carriers, as an air strike on one of our coastal cities proves.

The enemy begins a mechanized assault to try and relieve its trapped troops.

I feel it is time for some research. We can afford anything off this list except Staff II. The Tank things at the bottom are upgrades we can apply (I'm running the latest beta)

Looking at the forces list, it seems we have the smallest army. Which is worrying.

Our losses are increasing, but the Sultinate are still taking heavy casualties.

We have also killed more enemy units than any other country.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You want Rifle II for that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There is a whole new round of promotions for our generals.

Medium tanks are researched and then sent into production at a second tank factory.

9th Division is cut off, but our recon reports show that the enemy here is extremely weak.

We strike at the city here, but are held off by a few officers in the end,

A second wave clears the city, and our troops march in.

With Fez taken, we have broken the back of the Sultinate resistance on this front.

The Mengoub front is going to be a harder nut to crack. The enemy has brought in a large number of armoured cars. We need our own tanks, and some anti-tank guns.

We clear out most of the pockets – one staff group remains in that HQ trapped behind our lines.

I tweak production once more.

We take some losses as the mechanized Sultinate forces hit us hard. Soylent Pudding increases in rank once more.

After some production issues, our first submarines roll off the slipways and out into the sea under the command of Admiral Yapping Eevee.

Over on the Fez front we all but destroy the Sultinate forces. After they are wiped out, the Kawaii Mechanized Command and the Impyrial Guard shall take up a defensive posture against the Dominion and the Soviet borders.

The last pocket is wiped out, and we move our forced to the border. We do manage to take another raw materials mine.

We lose a sub to an enemy airstrike. But the losses are not quite as bad this turn – it should be noted that these are just the losses in the enemies turn, not total losses.

The main problem for this turn is the fact that the Sultinate has landed troops near Miyazaki!

I don't want to send to many troops there, so I create a single division and stock it with lots of killing power.

And air strike and a submarine movement later, and the enemy division is not looking that healthy. Two more subs go out.

We roll up the flank of the eastern front. We are getting superiority here slowly.

The Fez front is going well. It helps that they have no coastal cities here, so it is very hard for them to resupply their forces.

A Sultinate counter offensive begins.

They are able to do damage to our units and push forwards.

The Sultinate's attacks have cost them badly.

They have advanced several hexes, but only against our older units. This gives me to opportunity to pocket them, if I can hold their offensive off.

First we push back the enemy division that is raiding our lands.

I then use all by bombardment power to soften up the lead Sultinate units. The tank unit with a yellow bar is one I have just reinforced with all this turns production.

Although it costs me some men, I find two HQ units – the men I lost is nothing compared to the damage this will cause to the enemy command structure.

Fez is now all but secure. We have now taken two ore mines from the Sultinate, and the third will be ours next turn. This will cripple their ability to produce machines of war.

I purchase number 2 in our little vote, Rifle/SMG II, as you can see, this gives us a much better anti-tank capability and more hit points. Unfortunately this is not a universal upgrade – we will need to produce more troops.

This brings me to this session question – this is the Gangzhou Fiefdom border. The enemy has a lot more units there.

We are equally thin on the Orleans Dominion border.

These two powers are at war with each other, and for now it seems to have bogged down outside Carcassonne, but we need to think about this.

Do we divert troops from the main war to better protect our borders, or do we go all out to defeat the Sultinate on our continent?

Kent State is winning against the Soviets, having taken two cities and three of their strategic material sites.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose a submarine to an air strike off the coast of the Sultinates continent. Elsewhere though we hit them hard.

Their offensive has cost them a lot of troops, and they are forced to retreat a little. Their front line now looks nice and weak.

We hit them hard, cutting off their troops and preparing to force our way north.

The Sultinate breaks our pocket, killing some of our infantry, but it costs them a lot of tanks to do so.

I think its time to use some cards.

Leperflesh will play the Blitz card, making his armour more powerful at the chance of killing him. This should allow me to blast through the Sultinate lines and break their resistance here.

Time to blitzkrieg.

The tanks roll into action, smashing their way through the first line of resistance.

And then the second.

The third falls as quickly.

We close up and eliminate a large part of the pocket. This is how you use a blitz card. The enemy will have to retreat now or risk me cutting off more of their troops.

Two more subs go down, but they are hurting the enemies supply lines. More worrying is the rate at which I'm burning through my fuel supplies. Last turns rapid movement used a massive part of my reserves.

The subs find some cargo ships – this will be enemy units being moved across the sea, as supply movement is abstracted.

We cement our advance, but cannot make much more of it.

The fuel levels bounce back a bit, and the Sultinate attacks cost them a lot of men. The subs begin to really bite into their supply lines as well.

We take Mengoub, this leave them with only Tabruk as a supply port. Most of our troops need infantry replacements to be able to attack properly. So for now, the attack will stall somewhat.

Leperflesh gets promoted once more. The Sultinate continue to lose troops in futile attacks.

Winter and the need to refresh our troops slows our attacks down. We secure our holdings and and isolate an enemy force.

Fuel reserves are dropping again, but at least we are hurting them with our blockade – that's the “As Kill” column. They are trying to send in fresh troops, but some of them are getting sunk on the way there!

I order the boosting of two of our oil production facilities to higher levels. I need to focus on this now I have a lot of tanks.

We make a small jump forward, but a lot of these units need to rest now – I'm having problems supplying the air cover they need for some reason I can't figure out. The units are there, but they refuse to move or attack for some reason.

I'll figure it out, but as its been a while since the last update, I thought I should post something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I am worried by the rapidly dropping fuel supplies.

The Sultinate has cut off three Divisions – three armoured divisions with nearly a thousand points of fire power.

Silly Sultinate. We strike back and smash through their front line. We take another oil site, which will be critical at this stage. I also upgrade another of our oil production sites.

The fuel supply bounces back a good amount. We lose some infantry tot he enemies attack but give better than we get as normal.

Our air force decides they want to take part in the war, and we throw them into action.

When the land forces go in, they find little real resistance.

A huge hole is opened in the enemies front, but we deplete our fuel reserves in one month! We cannot afford to keep using our tanks like this.

I adjust production – We cannot afford to use our tanks or planes like this – while it gets results, we need to think of infantry as our main weapon for a time. I am also forced to revert to horses to try and help the movement of supplies!

Upgrading the oil production sites is now out priority!

Note to self: Amazing blitzkrieg attacks drink fuel. Switch to human wave attacks.

We make a small advance, but without being able to hammer the enemy with air power, there is a limit on what we can do. I am now hoping that the Sultinate has not fortified that bottleneck to the north.

Kent State is hammering the Soviets – they are advancing fast.

The Gangzou Fiefdom has also made a breakthrough against the Orleans Dominion, and has taken Carcassonne.

Fuel is building up once more, and we are killing a good amount of supplies with our subs. The problem is if I wait for my fuel supplies to recover to much, the enemy will have time to reinforce and dig in. I need to strike a balance.

I commit three armoured divisions to an attack, the enemy flees.

This and some other attacks burns half my fuel supplies.

We lose two more subs to air strikes.

The enemy has invested in heavy artillery, this causes some of our losses for this turn.

I order an airstrike to take them out, but the Sultanate has also moved in some fighters!

Our own fighters go into action, but we are not able to do more than drive them off with some losses. I order our factory to begin producing fighters to counter this threat.

We move forwards. Slowly but surely.

Fuel is holding steady.

We cut a large part of the Sultinate forces off from their supply line. They are doomed and I shall be able to crush them quickly.

We have 280 political points, and the oil wells are as efficient as they are going to get. We should begin planning for the invasion of a new sultanate land. Which techs should we be thinking of?

I will be putting a new force together for this attack – I already have 700 rifle units in reserve. We can attack east towards Gondrani and Mocha, or south towards their capital.

Should I concentrate on transports, or build a fleet of warships first?

Should we go East or South?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll gets his first promotion.

We begin to smash the pocket. The enemy has not fortified the gap either, so, they have little chance of stopping this advance now.

Production is switched to give us a navy.

I then upgrade a couple of key designs.

Then I get the fighters to fit on our new carriers.

Now it is time to create a invasion force. General Ratoslov shall command one unit.

I pick my landing zone, their capital has the best terrain and is close to most of their factories and raw material areas.

Another turn, and five artillery batteries don't make it to the front.

The Sultinate are deploying tank destroyers as well now.

We throw our forces forwards, and the enemy once more scatter before our brave soldiers.

We make our advances, but it is slow with the small front.

Reinforcements are seen moving across the sea.

Kaboom. Torpedoes away!

Our first carrier is ready.

Aaaand we have have our first Grey Hunter moment! Guess who forgot to check the city of production and just built an expensive carrier in a landlocked sea......

We push forwards once more, space and rapid advances are within our reach.

On my border sweep I notice the Gangzou Fiefdom has moved tanks up to the border. This is a worrying development, and could be a prelude to an attack.

I send some tanks to General Sniper. He will be able to hold out against any attacks, and I shall begin to strengthen this area.

I also build a shipyard near Tokyo and order it to build a carrier.

Our second, and first useful, carrier is ready.

She sets sail to scout out the landing zone.

We make a small advance up in the north. The enemy are well dug in, and I don't have the fuel to really hammer them.

I send more troops to the south. The Feifdom is really building up there now.

I would kill everyone for more fuel.

The Sultinate concentrate their weakened forces in the north and I hit them with what I have available. I take heavy losses in tanks to the AT-Guns, but I do make some progress.

This is a lot of death for a one hex advance.

The Fiefdom are REALLY massing down south.

The Sultinate know their capital is the best place to land troops, and are defending it to the hilt.

So, Do we continue to build up for the continued war against the Sultinate, or attack the Feifdom?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'll give that a go! I didn't think about that.

The Snakewell canal it is!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

(somehow I messed the dates up in a previous update, the current dates are correct.)

A force of enemy fighters comes out and sinks out carrier. The enemy here are well protected it seems, The vote is to clean up our continent before attacking the Gangzou Fiefdom. With the fact we would need a large amount of air defence, this is a good idea it seems.

Apart from that loss, there are no other real surprises.

I push again in the north, and the enemy are coming apart – the only reason they hold here is the 33rd Division runs out of time.

We clear that trapped unit, and Tabuk is in sight.

The southern front is growing in strength. I will need to split this into two units now, but I'm having something of a staffing crisis, so will not be able to do so for a while.

I decide that it is time to improve our tanks.

The Ha class takes advantage of both of these modules.

I had some destroyers in the Kawaii sea, they are attacked.

Time to counter attack!

We quickly sink the enemy destroyer.

Snow causes a hold on the northern offensive.

I begin to reorganise the southern flank. Preid gets the 13th on the left, Sniper maintains the centre and Pakled gets the right.
I need more staff of course, but this is a start.

The freezing in the north at least helps my fuel supplies recover.

Although its also allowing the Sultinate to rebuild as well.

The Sultinate make an attack on our forces, we hold them off, but not without taking heavy losses – they use their heavy artillery to good effect and soften up our troops beforehand.

Our fuel supplies are looking good now.

Leading with our tanks has gotten us this far, but the enemy are now countering with Tank destroyers and advanced AT guns. Having defended from this attack also means that we have lost the readiness in our own troops to attack, and our air power is having the month off again.

Having lost a sub seems to have allowed the Sultinate to flood troops into the area. Our men are hammed once more – this attack destroys 30 infantry units!

Our men are worn out, and casualties begin to mount.

I also realise the problem – the massive expansion of the army has removed all of our supplies! Our men are fighting without bullets! This is what I get for skimming the turn report!

The production orders are set to mass supply production. Hopefully we can stop the rot before to much of our strength is sapped.

Things go from bad to worse.

I am now relying on sea power to cut off the enemy troops – I order more subs made to help strangle the enemies supply lines. For now, the troops here will need to hold on while I resupply them – my air units will be key in keeping our forces alive now.

Talk about throwing away a promising lead! The lead forces are coming apart at the seams now.

This shows you what the Sultinate is building up.

It is time to turn to research for the answer. What should we turn to in this time of turmoil?

The Feifdom/Dominion front has stagnated, some form of Trench warfare is going on here.

The Soviet front is the same. It seems that no one knows how to make a breakthrough!

Sultinate losses have dropped, while ours are now the highest of any empire!

Although we have crippled their raw material production.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We take another load of casualties, but at least we are beginning to strangle the enemies supply lines. That must be our aim now!

I Then go on a buying spree – better machine guns to defend, better artillery to bombard the enemy and better subs to starve them out.

I pull some troops back to replace their losses.

Our losses dip a little, but their losses increase – we are sinking artillery and armour as well, which will hurt them. Shame our infantry are taking the brunt of things.

The Sultinate are still forcing through many troops, and their air power is growing.

We do our best to hold the enemy back. Airstrikes and artillery bombardments do their best to disrupt the attacks.

Losses drop and kills go up, things are starting to turn back our way after the troops spend months without supplies.

The bombardments do good work, and the enemy is beginning to take losses – maybe their supplies are running short.

Things on the front lines are still brutal for the infantry.

This stalemate is not helping anyone, so I order a massed strike on one location.

This is followed by a strike by most of our new Ha class tanks. The enemy break.

Its not much of an advance, but its better than nothing.

We see a couple of Sultinate Cruisers just off Fortress Bay.

Torpedoes away!

Casualties begin to balance up, but we continue to strangle the Sultinate forces.

I find the enemies artillery park, and drop a whole load of bombs on it.

I have built another shipyard, and our first Battleship is now ready – it will give us some more bombardment power.

My mini offensive and strike on their artillery staggers the enemy, and losses drop to an acceptable level. The supply squeeze continues.

The artillery bombardment shakes the earth, and does a lot of damage in the lower of the three hexes on the front line.

We are low on supplies at the front, so while we can't attack, I do send a large amount of supplies to the front to allow the lead units to stockpile.

The blockade gets stronger every month! I love how effective submarines are in this game!

The front stabilizes.

I try an attack, but it stalls out. I am now building trucks, to better move supplies around in our smaller HQ units. I do move a battleship up for some sweet naval bombardment next month.

That's enough for now, I think, and the stalemate is getting closer to breaking.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Hooray! A battleship to sink!

can the AI field destroyers or frigates to hunt your subs or?

Yeah, and air strikes - which is how they have been picking about one a turn.
The MKII subs are harder to spot though.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Sultinate attacks as the snow falls, and we suffer our first retreat in a long time.

Our losses are understandably high.

They can advance, but we can blast them back again!

Well, nearly, we have broken them, but they have reserves and we don't at this time.

We hold the line.

Bombs and shells rain down on the enemy lines as I pull back damaged units to refit them.

Its a bad month for the subs, but at least the ground casualties are slackening off.

I hit that hex that is standing out with everything we have, but they still slaughter our troops as they come in!

It is all quiet on the northern front.

Both sides are dug in in a forest that must look hellish at this stage. I have begun to bombard Tabruk with the battleships, this is damaging the cities ability to produce material of war. But we need a new strategy.

Another Sultinate cruiser is spotted, but we can't do much more than chase it off. Annoyingly.

General Comstar is commissioned, and given a command on the coast of the Atific Ocean. We will be attempting to land troops behind the enemy lines.

Another quietish month. We do most of our casualties in our turn, which is not shown on this chart.

A full blockade is in place around Tabruk, but look at the centre number on that southern most stack – nearly 800 in entrenchment!

We take out 25 artillery units before they can reach the front line. This is a good thing. The complete blockade seems to have begun to work.

We break an enemy unit, but are not able to exploit the gap. They enemy seem to have weakened massively.

The blockade continues to work, and the Sultinate continues to attack.

They are a spent force. Its typical really, just as I come up with a grand plan to amphibiously land troops behind their lines, I remember the much simpler option of just starving them out and make a massive breakthrough!

Well, it would be a breakthrough, if I hadn't just burned most of my fuel.

I limit my air support this month, and sidle around the sides. We are almost into open territory – there is a chance I can finish this soon! - The cargo ship holds the only division I can load with the capacity I have – I may as well use them.

The Sultinate forces do not have the strength to attack.

We push forwards a little.

it would be a mistake to rule out the Sultinate yet, as they attack us hard and we take some severe casualties.

The losses are heavy.

The Sultinate has all but retreated to Tabruk. We will now have to besiege them there.

We tighten the noose.

Fuel is an issue once more, but there is only a short way to go!

We begin to hammer Tabruk with everything we have.

Soon.

The Sultinate have given up even trying to send in supplies.

The enemy are coming apart in the ruins of Tabruk.

City fighting can be incredibly viscous, I knock out the location before I attack.

Starved of supplies and shelled to hell and back, the enemy still hold us off.

Fuel recovers slightly, and we see no losses.

HiHo ChiRho of Army Group centre organises the bombardment himself.

The battery is massively effective.

We strike with troops, and a single tank holds us back.

The second wave takes the city.

There is snow on the ground, but the war in the north is over!

Finally.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I think I'm going to have to wrap this one up - just because of the stupoid amount of time its taking to do - its not so much the turn itself, which is still a lot of uninteresting moving - its the processing - its takes up to ten minutes a turn atm, which breaks the flow.

Add to this the CM Lp, and that fact that a certain date is coming up, I think I need to cut back on my commitments a little, so this one has to go I'm afraid.

Sorry if this is a disappointment to anyone, but I know when a LP is just not working for me.

I'm off to sharpen my Katana in preperation for something big.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

No problem, it was still a good read :).

yeah, its not that I'm not enjoying it, its just its become such a timesink that I'm not getting to play other games! Also I can see it dragging on well into the WITP Day By Day Imperial Edition LP and impacting something people have been looking forward to for a LONG TIME.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Are you expecting a child? Congratulations!

NO! I'm alluding to WITP sequal LP.

Not that the wife isn't angling towards children.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You must pass on your knowledge of, and ability to, Sperg. It has been foretold that a descendant of the Gre(y)at Hunter will emerge from the ranks of regular goons and become SPACOM!

The S is for space! :eng101:

Fatherhood the LP has already been considered for when I lose that particular argument.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

alex314 posted:

Raising kids isn't that dissimilar to grognardy strategic games: you usually don't exactly know what you're doing except basics, your actions don't really have desired reactions, it requires ungodly amount of time and money and if you're serious about it then forget about sleeping. Source: last 3 months of my life..

I hate kids. with a passion. No one seems to understand how much I hate the screaming, snot ridden disgusting things and keep telling em "it'll be different when its yours."

It will, I won't be able to leave where ever the poop factory is and get on with my life.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Adopt a kid that's moved on from diapers :v:

Apparently it has to be genetically related to us.

Also my idea of leaving a copy of a wargame in a room full of orphans to see which one played with it has been vetoed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OH GOD I CAN'T EVEN GET AWAY FROM THIS CONVERSATION ON THE INTERNET.

breath

Breath,

I'd rather hypothetical stay hypothetical for now. (Also I'm going to begrudge paying even for nursery, let alone a nanny! ten times more people are going to have to start watching on my youtube channel to pay for that.

Also, I have learned that goons are not good for business. The CM LP has increased my views by over a third, and lead to a REDUCTION in earnings - only by a couple of quid a month, but still, it seems volume is not everything in the land of youtube.

• Locked thread