Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

When I go camping, it's to go looking for reptiles/amphibians. I pack my camera, my big net, a couple containers, some minnow traps, a cooler, my suitcase, some paper plates, paper towels, etc., matches, a little collapsible grill if I'm going to take the time to eat hot food, some water (both bottled for drinking and in a water cooler thingy for washing/brushing teeth, etc.), and my tent. I also bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and a blanket, which can be good for if the ground is uncomfortable or if it's extra cold. A second sleeping bag can be nice, too, depending on space. I also bring my backpack with a good flashlight or two, a roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag, a compass and GPS, spare batteries for the camera or flashlights, and a little net and a container for holding aquatic things for pictures. I also like to have my kindle with a spare external battery, and a few field guides loaded on, along with any books/audio books I'll read or listen to during the drive or at night when I'm not out herping.

I mostly eat cereal, sandwiches, and snacks, but I've cooked pork or hamburgers on the grill, and I like making pudgie pies/hobopies/whatever you call them, but most of the time I'm too exhausted when I get back to my camp, or else don't feel like stopping long enough to make a fire. I also tend to forget to eat because I don't want to stop to even pour a bowl of cereal unless I have to, and usually lose a few pounds from this and all the exercise, despite eating way more junk food than normal. Making sandwiches before going is generally a good idea, because then I can put them in my backpack and can eat when I'm walking.

I generally make my base camp by finding an old logging road or somewhere I can pull over safely where there isn't much/any traffic in a National Forest or somewhere with free legal primitive camping. I like somewhere near water so I can go out at night with my flashlight straight out from camp, but not somewhere where there's enough water that I have to worry too much about larger alligators while I'm doing that. During the day, I drive around to find neat sites, either playing by ear or from research I did at home, and then I'll wander all over to see what cool things I can find. At night, I like to road cruise to look for snakes, so I make note of good habitat during the day or else where I've seen DORs (dead on road animals).

Depending on my plans and how long I have, sometimes I'll pick a new site every day or every few days, and just pack up and set up camp somewhere else. I did this on a nine day trip to California - flew into San Francisco with as much gear as I couple fit into my bags, rented a car, and then drove up to Oregon and then back down on the other side of the Sierras - I saw hundreds of salamanders, an otter, some elk, a bear that ran straight at me (it was running from the highway and didn't see me until it was about twenty feet out and I yelled), and all sorts of other things. I also love doing Florida - tons of neat areas there! but I'll settle for coastal SC since it's closer when I can get out.

It's a blast, really. I see things most people never do and a variety of habitats and areas along the way. It's a bit exhausting, since I'm never really sitting still - I'm always hiking or driving or whatever, aside from nighttime, but if I could afford the gas and petsitter, I'd do it as often as I could. If you're just sitting at a campsite, especially if it's a pay site with water and toilets and all sorts of other people, you're not really doing anything. And if you have a camper and electricity and so on, then why the hell leave home in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I get confused about whether you can camp free in state vs. national and parks vs. forests, but some of those combinations are definitely free (and legal). When I flew out to San Francisco and drove up to Oregon, I was camping out every night in the National Forests (I think those are the free ones? I always have to look it up because I can't keep them straight). The whole trip cost around $1,000 for nine days - rental car, plane tickets, food, gas, some supplies I bought beforehand (a second bag for my camping gear, etc.) I'd pass signs for campgrounds for $25-50 a night and it just blew my mind, because all my lodging except for the last day (I needed a shower so whoever sat next to me on the plane wouldn't have a horrible flight) was free. That hotel, a really lovely, run down piece of crap in a neighborhood that made me uncomfortable still cost $80, so I don't get why people don't just camp on vacations. You see so much more, too, and fewer people - it would honestly be a better deal even if you had to pay the $25 a night to use the forest and the parking lot campgrounds were free. Even if you're doing things in the cities, a lot of times you can find somewhere free or cheap to camp and get the best of both worlds, assuming you're not specifically going to exclusively look for wildlife.

• Locked thread