Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
I've been camping every weekend for the past few months (I work online, so I need a weekly escape) and it's been getting more primitive each time I go out. You figure out pretty quick what you don't need after hiking it in. I can't stand the designated camping spots; they feel like a parking lot, and I don't like to be around other people and potential authority figures when I'm out there (I tend to be drunk and high). We find somewhere to park in a National Forest, typical the Pisgah or Smoky Mountains (I'm in NC, and the state parks don't allow camping outside the designated areas (or booze or unleashed dogs)) we hike for at least few hours, pick a spot and chill.

I try to keep the pack at or below 50lbs, with both of my dogs wearing saddlebags for the overflow.

-GPS with a waypoint set for the car
-Tarp
-Sleeping bag
-Rope
-Folding saw
-Knife (a solid, full-tang knife is pretty sweet for chopping firewood)
-Pine pitch & lighters (whittle it for a good fire starter)
-Flashlight & headlamp
-Batteries
-Small cooking pot & mug
-Small jar of instant coffee <--SUPER important in the morning
-Big water bottle, empty gallon jug & filter bottle (make camp near a lake or river, fill the jug and run it through the filter bottle)
-Food (I've used those dehydrated meals before; they're alright, but expensive. I usually just pack a can of chili or something (crack the can, sit it in the pot with boiling water to heat it up)
-Dog food, treats and collapsed bowls (in the dogs' packs)
-Dog jackets
-Bourbon
-Book
-Trash bags

I've always brought TP and a little shovel, but for some reason I'm yet to have to poop out there. "Camper's Clamp" is what they call it, I think...
I used to bring a rifle, but most woodland things that want to kill me are currently hibernating. My dogs run off everything else.
It's too cold for mosquitoes where I am, but if they're an issue, Thermacell units works really well.
If we get out there early or have an extra day, I'll also bring a small backpack to use when we go exploring from the campsite.
If you can get your hands on some silicone waterproofing spray, def spray down your boots, backpack and stuff-sacks. Also pack some ziplock bags for any electronics you bring.

Anyway, it's fuckin' cold, wet and dirty. But it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
I just got back from a 3-day camping trip in the Appalachians. It was fun, but now the dynamic is weird between me and my dogs. I took a crap in the woods, and my spade broke (the ground was too hard for the plastic trowel - def should've bought a metal one) so I dug a shallow pit with my boot and covered the poo poo with leaves. This was about 50 yards from the camp. 10 minutes later, I was sitting by the campfire and the dogs walked up, smelling terrible. They had found my forest dump and eaten it. Now everything's awkward.

• Locked thread