Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I keep all my camping gear in the back of my SUV in a couple of those rubbermaid storage bins.
It's partially because I feel safer having a bunch of gear in case of an emergency situation, and partially because I randomly decide to go camping every other week or so.
I took all the seats out of my SUV (other than driver's and shotgun) since I rarely travel with more than one other person and it makes it so there's enough room in the back to sleep if the weather is too rough for tent camping.
Currently, in my car I have:
-The cooking box
It's comprised of a mix of expensive ultralight backpacking stuff and old thrift store metal crap I can put directly in the fire. I have pots, pans, silverware, some cheap plastic bowls and cafeteria style trays, the traditional tin mugs, and two Speyburn whiskey glasses for when I'm feeling fancy. There's also a roll of tinfoil, a bag full of random MREs, canned foods and condiments, a tin of tea, cooking oil, and a mini bottle of Dr. Bronners soap. For the actual cooking, I prefer to cook over the fire so I keep matches and general purpose camping fuel, but I also have a backpacking mini stove that runs on cute lil butane tanks.
-The bedding box
Has two HUGE heavy cold weather sleeping bags, several smaller thin summer sleeping bags, a few of those microfleece blankets since they're warm and lightweight, two fold up backpacking eggcrate style mats, and two yoga mats to throw down for extra cushion. I usually don't bring a pillow and instead just roll up a spare blanket or stuff some clean clothes into one of my cloth bags. I think there's also a box of hand warmers in there, since I like to open a few packs and toss them in the sleeping bag so it's nice and toasty when I'm ready to go to bed.
-The random stuff box
This usually has activities and stuff in it. Off the top of my head, I think I have battleship, a deck of zombie themed cards, dice and a pad of paper, an old portable tape player with a bunch of old timey radio program tapes, a harmonica, and cotton yarn and knitting needles (for making dish rags for camping use)
- 4 person coleman tent
Self explanatory
-Easy-up
Great for making shade or keeping an area dry when it rains.
-a box of tarps and old tent parts
I usually use these for when I sleep in my car. I'll toss a few tarps over the car windows for privacy and hook them down with bungee cords and stakes, but I have used them instead of the easy-up before.
- Other random poo poo stashed all over my car
Several LED lanterns, one propane lantern, a headlamp, mini-mag light, spare batteries of all sizes, first aid kit, misc. medicines (allergy pills, oregel, aspirin, lidocaine, poison oak soap, sunscreen, anti-nausea/motion sickness, caffeine pills, eye drops, chapstick, lotion, tums and pepcid), beach towels and a bathing suit, four different types of bug spray and citronella candles, duct tape, nylon rope, plastic bags full of more plastic bags, a roll of toilet paper, a three gallon jug full of 'nondrinking' water (but could drink it in emergency, it's just gross sink water), an extra set of clothes including boots and a heavy jacket, leather gloves and rubber coated gloves, a gas can and a few tools for the car, several swiss army knives and multitools.

I think that's about everything, but I'm probably forgetting something...

Before I go camping, I usually pick up a few bundles of wood and some food that I actually like/ is perishable (because MREs are poo poo)

I want to get a solar charger, some kind of weapon besides a knife, and an air mattress, but those are kinda luxury items IMO.
I need to get a new cooler, since my boyfriend forgot a package of hot dogs or sausage or something in there for a week and now there's no way I'm cleaning it, but I'll probably pick one up at the thrift store. It's been cold enough that I can keep my food in tuperware in the car, and some of it will be frozen when I wake up so it's not an immediate need.

Edit:
My Adventure Pass!!! It's like $35 for the WHOLE year and you basically get free camping in all the national forests around here. It's pretty rad.
I also have a poo poo-ton of maps of the area and booklets from campgrounds I've been to.

candywife fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread