Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

For typical car camping, this is my list:

- Standard day hiking gear
- Tent
- Sleeping bags, pads, camp pillows
- Washcloth, camp towel
- Chairs
- Lantern
- Cooler
- Utensils, plates, cutting board, foil, wash bucket
- Two-burner camp stove and fuel, small skillet and pot
- Hatchet

We usually grab firewood at the site, and get food/ice/beer en route at a supermarket. We pack relatively light because everyone who drives has a tiny little compact, so we need to fit a couple days of gear and food for 4-5 people in that. We rarely camp at sites with showers.

Food can really be almost anything that cooks fast, the two-burner stove is a workhorse, but it's smart to get stuff you can cook on a stick or over a fire. Sweet corn is awesome since you can just throw it right on a grate over the fire pit (unshucked, obviously) and let it go.

Alterian posted:

We usually try to do backpack camping, but I just got back from a trip that was a camp out of the car camping and it was a lot more lame. There's something a lot of fun about being out in the middle of nowhere by yourself/with friends.

I'm the other way around. I love to beer it up in a chair over a campfire, and none of those things are happening while backpacking. When I'm backpacking, I'm trading off the experience of chilling out at camp for being able to do a longer and more remote hike, so it has its place, but I do it far less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread