Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
This is the thread for IDP discussion. Leave your D/ST bullshit at the door.

What is IDP?
IDP stands for Individual Defensive Players and is infinitely better than D/ST.

How do I use IDP?
Most leagues nowadays will allow you to specify your roster down to every position (DE, DT, LB, CB, S) but the most common setups usually use LB, DB and sometimes DL and/or D (Defensive equivalent of FLEX). Pretty much anything can be scored: Tackles, Tackle Assists, Fumbles Forced and/or Recovered, INTs, Sacks, and even Return Yards (both Kick/Punt and Turnover). There's a few different ways league usually set up, either Tackle Heavy, Turnover Heavy, or more balanced. In Turnover Heavy formats, ballhawking DBs are worth more, but usually in most systems your best point-getters are LBs who get a lot of tackles.

Why should I use IDP?
Because you're a goddamn sperg over boiling football down to numbers so you might as well go the whole nine you loving nerd

Who uses IDP?
Badass people who aren't a bunch of little bitches.

So down to brass tacks. Who are you targeting this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Alec Ogletree was an excellent waiver wire pick up that really bailed me out when my LB2 got hurt. He and Lauranatis make me want to target Rams even in D/ST leagues.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

An important note: Players that are excellent on the field are often trash in IDP leagues. Revis is a great example of this.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

anime gently caress pillow posted:

An important note: Players that are excellent on the field are often trash in IDP leagues. Revis is a great example of this.

You dont like shutdown corners who are so good they get 0 chances to do stuff?

We should do an IDP league, most irl people are scared/bitch about the length of the draft.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Never pick a CB unless he gets a shitload of tackles (prime Winfield) or he's a returner (once upon a time Ladarius Webb, Patrick Peterson, Terrence McGee, Justin Miller god 2006 was awesome, etc)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've never done IDP before so I mostly pay attention to the 49ers defense (my homer). The niners have a highly ranked D. But how does that break down in IDP? Is it generally the case that a good D (one that is collectively effective at keeping the score low, is attached to an offense that can stay on the field a reasonable length of time, and forces a few turnovers a game) is constructed of a bunch of good IDP picks? Or does it tend to be more random, like, you can have a great defensive player on a team with an otherwise lovely defense?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yeah IDP is a lot about tackles, and good players in lovely defenses rack up a lot of tackles because they play more snaps.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

High volume tackles guys on teams with bad offenses, like Chad Greenway, (or teams that score quick/don't hold the ball long, ie. mychal kendricks) are usually great but Bowman was arguably the best IDP player in the game until he blew his leg into a billion pieces. Not having him as a 15th round keeper this year makes me very sad.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I need to find out who is going to be this year's Vontaze Burfict. I picked up and dropped him maybe 5 times in 2012 waiting for the breakout, and then got sniped on him in every league last year and I'm super pissed about it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

I've never done IDP before so I mostly pay attention to the 49ers defense (my homer). The niners have a highly ranked D. But how does that break down in IDP? Is it generally the case that a good D (one that is collectively effective at keeping the score low, is attached to an offense that can stay on the field a reasonable length of time, and forces a few turnovers a game) is constructed of a bunch of good IDP picks? Or does it tend to be more random, like, you can have a great defensive player on a team with an otherwise lovely defense?

You can bank on Patrick Willis since Bowman is out for so long but everything else is so fluid and unreliable. I wouldn't touch anyone else except maybe a flier on Reid because he's pretty solid in run defense so he'll get a good amount of tackles on top of his big plays.

Also everyone marvel at my incredible (lovely) IDP format:

code:
Defensive Players	League Value
Tackle Solo	         2
Tackle Assist            1.5
Sack	                 6
Interception	         8
Fumble Force	         5
Fumble Recovery          3
Defensive Touchdown	 10
Safety	                 6
Pass Defended	         4

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 3, 2014

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
It should also be noted that the some of the most important IDPs to own are LBs that play on all three downs.

Here's one of the websites that helps track that info: http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/every-down-linebackers/

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
Barry Church makes a million tackles

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What do you guys think of Tony Jefferson's chances if he's Arizona's starting SS this year?

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Is CJ Mosley going to start? Be any good? I need a solid LB for this year in my keeper league, I like getting on rookie bandwagons because I can get them cheap.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
All signs point to yes and yes

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm still butthurt about Kiko Alonso not playing this year.

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

Chandler Jones is gonna get hella sacks this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd just like to jump in here and say that Luke Kuechly was the 7th rated LB last year so you might not jump on him.

He had 24 total tackles in my playoff game.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Navarro Bowman was pretty good last year but my short experience with IDP is that usually there is one stud LB on a normal-to-pathetic defense who is a raving lunatic, like Kiko Alonso, Paul "Motherfucking" Worrilow, and Paul Poluszxsonxsxy.

Most linebackers have hard as hell to spell names, too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can probably get Justin Houston on the Chiefs super late but he was on his way to breaking records before he broke himself last year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
JJ Watt = not worth the high draft pick this year cause of the vulturing Clowney, right?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I never thought he was worth the spot because of the DL variance. If you're going to take a stud early, you can go for Kuechly. Robert Quinn was on the wire week 2 last year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I need the Bills to put Kiko on IR already so I can stash him in my keeper without burning a roster spot.

e: Alonso and Bowman late keepers :getin:

e2: currently rostering Tyvon Branch and Stevie Brown in two of my DB slots because everyone forgot about them. They are healthy and should rebound in secondaries that are going to get passed on a lot. I'm banking on those two and Weddle to score me all the points.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Apparently Rolondo McClain is looking pretty decent in practice for the Cowboys and is playing in the sub packages. I wouldn't be drafting him, but he's someone to monitor. They have no linebackers, someone's gotta make the tackles that Church doesn't. He could end up being a volume play at low-end LB2/high-end LB3

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Here's a thing I did http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658712

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Drop Paul Worrilow, Lawrence Timmons, or Michael Kendricks? I accidentally drafted 3 LBs and need a kicker. I'm thinking don't drop Kendricks cause he's gonna be on the field the most.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Timmons

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wesley Woodyard or Michael Kendricks?

I've read Woodyard is in the perfect scheme and the Titans suck, so it's a good combo. But, as long as Chip Kelly Year 2 goes as planned, Eagles defense is gonna see the field the most of any defense in the league and Kendricks is very fast and gets picks (my league is 0.75 tackles, but high on INTs and sacks).

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Kendricks

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Son of a bitch, somehow Von Miller was on the waivers and nobody noticed him until today and he got scooped up.

HOW??!

At least around Week 6 & 7, there's gonna be some sweet LBs come back. Bowman & Mathis come back.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 5, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bobby Wagner in my tackle heavy league :swoon:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am in a league with a single defensive player slot that is tackle heavy. I had Derrick Johnson. I know nothing about IDP or which defensive players are good. I assume I always want a LB still? Here is a list of available players ranked by points scored last week. Any idea on which players to make waiver wire bids on? Or if you think there is some hidden gem off the list coming back from injury or whatever who might not have been drafted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Levy was a stud last year, as was Chancellor and Woodson. Whitner is making a lot of noise.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You typically just look at LBs in a tackle heavy league. That said, Whitner did have a huge week and is looking good.

From your list I really like Sio Moore, especially this week against the Texans. Playing for Oakland I expect him to be on the field a lot and therefore get a lot of opportunities to make plays this year.

Brandon Marshall had a huge week as well. It's hard to say where he'll end up with Von Miller there who typically does a large share of the work there. However, Miller missed a lot of time last year from injuries, only came back near the end of preseason, and only got 1 tackle in the last game so there's a chance Marshall will remain a solid LB option.

Everything Suave Fedora said is correct as well regarding players who were solid last year.

Once you start to get a few weeks into the season, I like to look at players on the waiver who are racking up points via tackles every week consistently and not getting their points from sacks. Sacks are nice, but they can be spotty. I'd rather have a 10pt/wk guy than a guy that is 5 or 15 depending on the week.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 10, 2014

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
In this league it seems like solo tackles are worth 1, assisted are worth 0.5 and sacks are worth... 1. I think fumble recoveries and interceptions are only 2, so it seems like someone who gets a lot of tackles is the way to go.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I'd give significant consideration toward Lamur as well, especially if Burfict is out for week 2.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Daryl Smith had a solid showing. 11.5 in my league. Anything double-digits is cool as pie.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Justin Smith better get me some sacks this week. Points are low on tackles, high on sacks/TFL/INTs, etc. Dropped Cameron Jordan for your rear end..

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
If you folks haven't picked up Josh McNary or Jamari Lattimore, might want to do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Professor Moriarty posted:

If you folks haven't picked up Josh McNary or Jamari Lattimore, might want to do it now.

Is that all? McNary looks to be a temporary plug while Freeman heals. I don't know anything about Lattimore.

• Locked thread