Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Previously...
Terrans (The people of Earth) created their own jump gates to explore space. Using AI controlled ships known as Terraformers to terraform planets so humans can live on them the humans began colonizing. A slight bug in the terraformer coding caused the terraformers to start terraforming humans instead. After near annihilation at the terraformers the Terrans destroyed their jump gate and cut themselves off from the rest of the universe, the Terrans who distracted the terraformers (now called Xenon or AGI) became known as the Argons and continued to live amongst the other alien races. Eventually contact with the Terrans was reestablished and the Xenon mothership destroyed.

A few years later Saya Kho blows up the Earth Torus, a defensive ring that encircles the entirety of Earth. After finding out that Kho was responsible and her ties to the Argon the Terrans declare war.

What is Albion Prelude?

X3 Albion Prelude is an expansion for X3 Terran Conflict, which itself is an expansion of X3. It is a very big game, you can be a trader competing with the AI to buy and sell materials or you can be a fighter that protects a station and patrols areas or even be a pirate, forcing pilots to bail out of their ships, forcing trade ships to dump their cargo and trade space weed and booze. After a point we can be our own force, with our own stations around producing goods and making us money with hundreds of traders selling those goods and our own personal fleets to protect our ships.

How will this LP work?

Well to be honest, I'm going in semi blind for AP. I have put a ton of hours into TC however, so I'm only really blind on the AP specific materials. This thread will be a hybrid, screenshot updates will be for giving better explanations then I give during videos. Also I will be using a few mods for this LP, mostly quality of life mods and nothing that radically changes the game to keep it as close to vanilla as possible. We will be doing the Humble Merchant start, though in the grand scheme of things the start doesn't matter.

Goon participation?

We can name our ships and stations! Suggest names for ships and I will roll with them, we may go through hundreds if not thousands of ships and stations and naming them off so I can know what is doing what will make it easier for me to see at a glance how our empire is going. Please come up with many names cause I will probably end up going with "Trader 1" or "Sells space weed" :frog: I will probably just name lead ships or notable ships cause there is a point where ships are just being bought to be cannon fodder or told to go trade and be forgotten.

Ships

There are at least 3 different kinds of ships in each ship class so we will just be using a simple class list to show how many of what we have

M0 (Mothership): Actually there are no M0s in AP, sorry guys!
M1 (Carrier): 0
M2 (Destroyer): 0
M3 (Fighter): 19
M4 (Interceptor): 6
M5 (Scout): 3
M6 (Corvette): 3
M7 (Frigates and missile frigates):2
M8 (Bomber): 1
TL (Large Transport): 1
TM (Military Transport): 0
TP (Personnel Transport): 1
TS (Freighters): 25

Updates

Update 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXaoDAtBujg
Update 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOEyhso8io
Update 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRA8rS4kvM
Update 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0HMnxjNWAY
Update :350:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMKIwLBhSw
Update 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgt3fsBnVKY
Update 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56vnXGVWO8
Update 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNrqYwHXCmQ
Update 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBxnDayw8c

Bonus Updates
UI Explanation

Don't fix me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfioilo_-c

Lets attack Xenon Sector 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdu-W1OzEgE

Yaki and pirates

One weird trick to easy money!

Economics 101

Hub and HQ

Ship names
Dongs.exe:
Sleeper Service: TP Angel
Profitsssss
Dongsssss
Learning Curve: M6 Centaur
Red Rooster:
Nasty Butler: M3 Venti, Wingman
Crazy Ostrich: M3 Venti, wingman
USS Protected Stairs: M7 Panther Radier

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reserved

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The UI (Or What The Hell Am I Looking At?)

Quick update on what the UI is like, I don't think this requires a video to explain.

1: Personal menu. In this menu we can check out our pilot's stats, our property, our missions, our message log, our wings (groupings of ships), the stock exchange and access to the game's encyclopedia. The encyclopedia is pretty useful in trying to find stations that produce a certain product, that is if we weren't using the Teladi Information Service mod.

2: Navigation menu. In here is the sector map and the universe map, the option to use our jumpdrive and the best buy and best sell add ons.

3: Current ship menu. This menu allows us to see the info of our ship, set the autopilot, see our freight, both landed and owned (ships that have this ship set as their home) ships and to locate it in the sector map.

4: Target menu. This menu is exactly like the current ship menu but its for whatever we are currently targeting. Has the added option of communicating with the target or commanding our own ships.

5: The station menu, only available when we are docked in a station. This menu is for trading, bartering and communicating with people on the station.

6: Undock, lets us undock from a station.

7: Eject, should we need to leave our ship for any reason. Not advisable to eject at the last second in combat cause the enemy will just shoot you.

8: Mail button, flickers whenever we have mail.

9: Options, this menu has the save, load and quit game options, as well as sound, graphics, controls and gameplay options.

10: Our current ship status. The green number is our ships hull, the blue is our ships shield. The bottom bar is our speed.

11: Our target's status. Copy and paste the above.

12: Our crosshairs. The number in the middle is how far our target is from us, the number on the right is our current speed and if our target was moving there would be a number on the left showing our target's speed.

13: Our minimap.

14: Targets our scanners pick up that aren't in view.

This is the universe map. We can click on each sector to look at its sector map, the lines show where the sectors are connected. On the right is info about a sector, most of it is fluff but the important things are Race, Security and Suns. EDIT: Oh and gate distance!

Race: Who owns the sector.
Security: Border or Core. If a faction dislikes you you are unable to dock in core sector stations, but you can dock at border ones. Security also determines how powerful the local security is, seeing capital ships in a core world is not uncommon while the security of border worlds are generally fighter ships.
Suns: How effective solar power plants are in this sector. This will be important later on.
Gate distance: How big the sector is. Some sectors can be over a hundred km (Terran sectors :argh:) from gate to gate. Now you can actually fly past the "border" and be out of the view of the sector map, I'm not sure how far out you can fly but note that if you try to fly towards the planet you die cause of atmospheric pressure or something like that. You get a warning about it.

We can also start typing in the name of a sector and the game will zero in on the sector with that name.

This is the sector map. The brighter circle around any ships we own is our radar range, we can only see whats going on within that circle. Stations are the only things that still show up even if they are no longer in radar range. On the right side of the window is a list of what our radar picks up, from top to bottom:

Our stations, our ships, hostile stations, hostile ships, neutral stations, neutral ships, jump gates, asteroids, items in space.

The property screen, something you may be looking at quite often. It shows where is what, the tabs filtering down what you see. We can see how our ship's shields and hull are, and its current action. In the options menu we can enable or disable what shows up here. For example I have satellites turned off so they wont show up in the property menu, or else this screen will be flooded. We can also access the command screen to select a specific ship to no longer appear in this menu.

This is the trading screen. Red items are items we cannot buy cause we do not have a high enough reputation to purchase them. On the bottom right of the screen we can see what rank we need to purchase the item. The bottom middle is where we drag stuff from our ship to the market to sell or from the market to our ship to buy. Just to note the red block there is other stuff in our cargo, letting us know how close we are to having a full cargo.

The command console. What commands we can give our ships all depend on the console upgrades we instal on our ships. For example if we didn't have any of the fighter consoles installed we wouldn't have any combat commands, not only that but we wouldn't be able to give our AI controlled turrets many options. Additional ship commands are basically more commands we can give our ships depending on what the ship is and what console commands are installed (For example, the piracy option is down here and I believe the missile barrage command is here as well)

Further down the list we can hide the ship from the property menu, have it mail us when it finishes the command we gave it, what formation the ship will fly in, the probability that it'll fire missiles (if AI controlled) and its home base, where we can give it a simple "return home" command to have it go back instead of having to command it to "Dock at" then manually find and click on the home base. Annoyingly enough the home base setting is cleared if we manually controlled the ship. If this was a ship we weren't flying there would also be an option to send the ship as our wingman. And yes, if we manually control the wingman it clears that setting

Admittedly I'm not sure what fleet command entails exactly, it almost looks like another form of the wing commands. Adding a ship to a wing allows you to command an entire group of ships instead of having to select them one by one and command them from there.

Jump configurations are only available if we have our ship equipped with a jump drive. Autojump range means how many gates the ship would have to jump before it decides to jump instead of flying out there. At 1 the ship will always automtically jump, even if its going to the next sector over. If you set it to 0 it'll jump to a gate in the same sector if getting there will be faster. Emergency jump makes the ship automatically jump out when its shield gets so low. The fuel resupply quantity means how many jumps worth of cells the ship will automatically buy when it docks at a station that sells energy cells.

Below that is just the friend or foe list. We can decide what faction our ship will treat as friend or foe. Honestly I don't mess with this, there is one option that says "Set as enemy if enemy to me", meaning that while we do have the pirates set in our FoF as friendly, any pirates that are actively hostile against us will show up as enemies regardless.

And thats about all the important parts of the UI, let me know if you want me to explain some more!

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 9, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in love. This LP is pretty great. I'm following along while playing myself, I never really understood X3, so I'm hoping to learn a bit from your LP.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vote #1 Dongs.exe

for our first/next ship.

Edit: also, does the trader module let you send that captured Harrier straight to a shipyard for selling, or do you have to haul it in a carrier?
+ What does OTAS stand for/what do they do that gives them such fancy ships?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 5, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Veloxyll posted:

Vote #1 Dongs.exe

for our first/next ship.

Edit: also, does the trader module let you send that captured Harrier straight to a shipyard for selling, or do you have to haul it in a carrier?
+ What does OTAS stand for/what do they do that gives them such fancy ships?

If the ship is a Xenon ship then I'd agree.

You can send a ship to dock anywhere regardless of software or carrying vessel, and yes you can sell it remotely the same way. Keeping a scout ship or a satellite in a sector to monitor prices and goods is an important thing to some.

OTAS = Optimised Technology Armaments (and) Shielding Corporation. They were a reclusive bunch and they zealously guard their home system even despite their eventual revealing to the other corps. They created the first missile frigate and generally have better ships than anyone else if you're willing to make the journey since Legend's Home is quite out of the way, and the neighboring sector is a huge span on its own.

They're known for good ships all around but the Mistral Super Freighter that you can buy is the most valuable trader ship in the game due to its 15,000 max cargo space that is also XL tier, meaning it carries every commodity out there and plenty of it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh god. As somebody who keeps starting this game, then drifting off just as I'm starting to actually learn the mechanics and earning some trade cash, should be interesting to see someone who knows what they are doing go through this.

That thread title sums up my last stab at the game. Set exclusions to all known Xenon sectors... Oh, of COURSE you went to a Xenon sector.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I installed the game and a bunch of scripts to do the work for me a couple of days ago. Usually end up abandoning it after a couple of missions, because I have no idea of what to do. Hopefully this LP will give me some ideas, because I find the idea of owning half the galaxy very compelling.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's the ingame time like for this much progress? Is this the kind of thing where it takes ten hours to start getting other ships, or just a couple?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

IIRC, the first three-four plot missions give you a couple of new ships, and you can make pilots eject their ships almost right of the bat, so it's not so bad.

No idea about the bigger ships, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MooCowlian posted:

What's the ingame time like for this much progress? Is this the kind of thing where it takes ten hours to start getting other ships, or just a couple?

You can get a decent Corvette for free after a handful of story missions on Argon Patriot in AP. Part of my mindset issues is literally the only Space Game like this I ever played (at all, let alone beat) was Freelancer. So I keep wishing to be Awesome Fighter Pilot + guy who can own trader ships on the side.

But the scale of the game just does not seem to want to agree with that, especially as your combat rank starts to go up.

Honestly, my bigger issue for starting up this game each go is less "Where do I get a free Corvette and starting funds to buy some traders" and more "Oh god, where do I get X Y Z etc etc ship software/equipment around here?"

Your combat software does not start as the MK2 full auto-aim assist included sort, for example. Then there's the various grades of trade softwares. Misc softwares that allowed you do to things like "Command, automatically fly around and pick up all the missiles dead ships left behind", etc. On top of remembering where and what sells these without a wiki (oh only X Species/lone station sells this thing I want and that's several sectors over, that are not currently on my in game map).

About half the reason you want to start making your own factories feels like because everyone is always out of the shields/guns/drones/missiles you want across the nearest twenty sectors.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 5, 2014

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Because of this, you definitely want to start dropping probes in as many sectors as you can. They let you track prices and availability remotely, which is really helpful.

At the beginning of the game it's actually useful to get the fastest possible ship (which I believe is the Kestrel scout) and just explore in straight lines, getting as many sectors on your map as possible. It doesn't take that long and you can do explore missions on the way if they are convenient. I just check whats available as I fly in a straight line to the next gate.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

My vote for a ship name is Sleeper Service

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
The X series is one of my favourite game franchises. I'll be following this with interest!

Anyway, my vote for ship name (especially if it's a Teladi vessel): Profitsssss

E: Or... Dongsssss?

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
How about the Learning Curve?

Nobody wants to fight it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

murphyslaw posted:

Anyway, my vote for ship name (especially if it's a Teladi vessel): Profitsssss

Actually...

I set one trade ship to do sector trades in each race's areas to passively get my relationship up with them while I do other things. Though these ships are "set to trade and forget" so maybe I'll use this name for a ship we actually will notice more often.

quote:

what do they do that gives them such fancy ships?

I may be misremembering, but I understand OTAS was added in to the X3:Runion extended mod, and I think they are really good cause its the modders own creation. X3 Terran Conflict is basically X3: Reunion with the extended mod added in, and the OTAS ships remained kinda powerful. If you read my abandoned Prophesy of Pendor lets play, they're like the Noldor if some restraint was put in.

MooCowlian posted:

Well with humble merchant it can take a bit to get the funds, the other starts you do start in a fighter ship and can quickly get money doing the fight missions as well as jumping more reliably into the main plot. And again, what I generally do is just set up my AI traders, press the SETA key then alt tab out. This is the best game you don't actually play most of the time :v:

Saitorr posted:

How about the Learning Curve?

Nobody wants to fight it.

Our first corvette or better will be named this, no one wants to deal with the learning curve.

I apologize for this next update, I tried to do live commentary but things were out of my control (Oh hey a fight, gotta get audactiy recording and tab back in oh poo poo its over). This also caused a problem where I did 3 separate recordings so it may be a bit jarring that I'll sound different between cuts. From now on it'll just be post in a single go. Also I may sound a little over enthused with the fight that happens in this video.

Video 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRA8rS4kvM

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I know you said that players really shouldn't go into combat with a freighter, but could you do a little pirate hunting with a Q-Ship?

The closest I've ever come to playing these games was installing the demo for X back in '99. I didn't get very far.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Does Albion Prelude have the same ridiculously low missile speeds as X3: Reunion did? When I played it I picked up the Mamba Raider and it quickly became my favourite ship to pilot because of its small profile, high speed, and good armament. It could outfight pretty much anything that it could hurt, but whenever I launched a missile my ship would instantly explode. After searching everywhere for missile launch bug reports, I realised that it wasn't a bug; my ship was just faster than all of the missiles that I tried. So when I launched a missile I would instantly run into it, it would explode inside my shield, and I would die.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I'm glad you're liberal with the editing, this game is like heroin to me but like you say, it often boils down to a lot of waiting while the credits tick into your account. It would make for a very boring LP if that poo poo wasn't cut out.

While I've spent hundreds of hours in the X-verse, I only rarely did more than scratch the surface stat-wise and pretty much played things casually. I'd love to hear your thoughts in regards to how you organize your wings/fleets and (when we get to it) how you set up your stations and economy. I'm liking the informative style so far and hope you'll keep it up.

Some further ship name suggestions, this time from Thumb Wars:

Red Rooster, Nasty Butler, and Crazy Ostrich.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

murphyslaw posted:

I'm glad you're liberal with the editing, this game is like heroin to me but like you say, it often boils down to a lot of waiting while the credits tick into your account. It would make for a very boring LP if that poo poo wasn't cut out.

A lot of it is just going back and forth from place to place setting up your trade empire eventually too. Without just cheating yourself stuff it can be pretty tedious, especially since the trading and empire management is most of the game. There's not a whole lot to explore and see (except to see new trade locations and places to set up shop) and combat can be clunky with more than one ship. The only thing that really sucks is boarding though. gently caress boarding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AltaBrown posted:

I know you said that players really shouldn't go into combat with a freighter, but could you do a little pirate hunting with a Q-Ship?

We wont really need to do this, pirates will gladly throw themselves at us whether we are in a freighter or not. Even if we are in a capital ships pirates in m4s or even m5s will go "I can totally take him" and attack us.

pun pundit posted:

Does Albion Prelude have the same ridiculously low missile speeds as X3: Reunion did? When I played it I picked up the Mamba Raider and it quickly became my favourite ship to pilot because of its small profile, high speed, and good armament. It could outfight pretty much anything that it could hurt, but whenever I launched a missile my ship would instantly explode. After searching everywhere for missile launch bug reports, I realised that it wasn't a bug; my ship was just faster than all of the missiles that I tried. So when I launched a missile I would instantly run into it, it would explode inside my shield, and I would die.

Supposedly missiles were reworked in Albion Prelude, but I probably wont really use them myself. Its a mix of ships just outrunning the missiles and the AI's really crack aim when it comes to shooting down missiles, to the point where they can blow up a missile you just fired before its even 5 meters away from you and blow you up.

It certainly works well against me though, when I get close enough and the AI just fires 50 missiles at me.

murphyslaw posted:

I'd love to hear your thoughts in regards to how you organize your wings/fleets and (when we get to it)

Dedicated wings for certain tasks and attempting to memorize hotkeys :shepface:

Have this video where one of my ships really didn't want me to repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfioilo_-c

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Leal posted:

Have this video where one of my ships really didn't want me to repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfioilo_-c

On the subject of space suit antics, I'm finally getting around to watching the videos. Do you ever fly your space suit into an equipment dock to upgrade his "engines"? That was my favorite stupidly amazing thing I discovered.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Section Z posted:

On the subject of space suit antics, I'm finally getting around to watching the videos. Do you ever fly your space suit into an equipment dock to upgrade his "engines"? That was my favorite stupidly amazing thing I discovered.

Yes, you can also upgrade your suit with SETA. Sadly though it seems to lose that upgrade when you get back into a ship. Still nice if you want to fix ships bigger then an M3 and just set SETA to on while repairing.

While flying around I found something. I'm sure you'll all enjoy the next video

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh also, you mentioned you sold your first freighter - Is there a limit to how many shiops you can have then? Otherwise it would seem to be worth keeping even if it's not the best, just to boost your freight hauling capacity.

Or was it a case of "I need to sell this ship so I can afford an OTAS ship?"

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I'm still not entirely sure about the timeline of the three X3 games and what happened in them. Whith this Kho lady blowing up an earth orbital station during the intro which seems to have caused this war in the first place it looks an awful lot like we're the bad guys this time around. Could you please elaborate a bit on this?

Also, am I seeing this right that docking at stations no longer entails flying through the station itself? Kinda sad this got dropped.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nuramor posted:

I'm still not entirely sure about the timeline of the three X3 games and what happened in them. Whith this Kho lady blowing up an earth orbital station during the intro which seems to have caused this war in the first place it looks an awful lot like we're the bad guys this time around. Could you please elaborate a bit on this?
The ultra-simplified storyline that I can remember goes somewhat like this:
-in the original X the player is an Earth pilot that flies a ship with an experimental jumpdrive that malfunctions and ends up in Teladi space, where he creates a financial empire.
-in the expansion, another Earth pilot (the future mother of the lady that blows up the station) is sent with another experimental jumpdrive to see what happened to the player and they try to find their way home but fail and create a financial empire instead
-in X2 the player is a former criminal that is pardoned as long as he works for the commander of the Argon military, finds out that the protagonist of the previous game is his dad, meets up with the Kho and her daughter Saya, creates a financial empire and manages to stop the invasion of a new alien species (the Khaak) after they kidnapped his dad and blew up an entire Argon sector (and any station you might have had there)
-in X3 dad comes out of his coma, the Khaak become even more of a danger, but the player (and dad) manage to find a way back to Earth and the Terran fleet wipes the floor with the Khaak, but not before the player creates a financial empire
-in X3: Terran Conflict the previous player character goes missing (probably killed by Xenon), while the current player investigates the creation of new AGI by some shadowy party, gets control of a massive space station that allows him to reroute jumpgates and creates a financial empire

I don't remember/know why Saya blew up the Torus, causing the Terrans to go to war with the Argon and allies, though.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 6, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
As you stated, Radintorov, Saya was in the 2nd game and helped against the Kha'ak, but after X-Reunion she doesn't show up until AP and I don't think there's any back story in the X-Encyclopedia between the two games. However, around the X3 time, she's affiliated with a shady organization backed by the Yaki pirate faction that is researching heavily into AGI called Beryl and she was tasked with destroying the Torus.

Spoilers for the Argon story here, not sure how Leal feels about it but you see this halfway through the Argon plot missions.
The Argon Federation hired Beryl to destroy the Torus so the attack couldn't be linked directly to the Federation. Saya ended up feeling too great a regret over killing her people and let herself die with the station.

I'm not exactly sure (or at least don't remember) why they wanted to provoke the Terrans in any way though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obviously so the new protag could create another financial empire.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how does the newest game, X:Rebirth, compare against the older games?

Is it poo poo as usual as it is with reboots or is it actually good?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Or was it a case of "I need to sell this ship so I can afford an OTAS ship?"

Pretty much this, I bought the Mistral, sold off the mercury to get the speed upgrades on the mistral on top of trading money. The AI traders are worthless if you spent all your money buying them and kitting them out cause they use your money to trade.

Veloxyll posted:

Obviously so the new protag could create another financial empire.

That is the true continuity between all the games.

Lunethex posted:

Spoilers for the Argon story here, not sure how Leal feels about it but you see this halfway through the Argon plot missions.

For spoilers just keep them in the tags please.

Koorisch posted:

So how does the newest game, X:Rebirth, compare against the older games?

Is it poo poo as usual as it is with reboots or is it actually good?

I've read that it is very awful. The lack of switching ships is the big thing that has turned me off from it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When I play (and I'm not great at this game) I never really bother with wingmen, instead trying to get an M6 as soon as I can and just sticking with that, but watching these videos it looks like I'd be much better served with a handful of Solanos for the same sort of price.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its nice for giving alternate targets for your enemies to shoot at (If they die you just buy another. If you die its time to reload). Though again, I feel like the AI always goes for you when you're an option.

The wingman hotkey mod is nice since it allows you to quickly command wings to attack or protect with a push of a button. Unfortunately the mod doesn't have a simple "Return home" hotkey (I'm amazed how there isn't one for wingmen either) nor a hotkey to open up a respective wing's command console.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lunethex posted:

I'm not exactly sure (or at least don't remember) why they wanted to provoke the Terrans in any way though.

Because the Terrans were using spies to keep the Argon from developing AGIs. So Argon murdered millions of innocent people while destroying Earth's primary defense, which probably killed millions more when it fell down to Earth.

Good job, guys! Totally not a massive overreaction!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

I've read (EDITORS NOTE: ABOUT X:REBIRTH) that it is very awful. The lack of switching ships is the big thing that has turned me off from it.

But the changes are great! Now instead of docking at a station and clicking through a couple of menus to talk to whomever you want, you get to board the station and walk around for five minutes looking for them! Inmersion! :suicide:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So that last video has some really weird audio balance issues. Your voice is really quiet, but when the autoducking stops the game's waaaay too loud.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

In any game when I've been able to rename a ship, that ship has been the TANSTAAFL.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Friar John posted:

So that last video has some really weird audio balance issues. Your voice is really quiet, but when the autoducking stops the game's waaaay too loud.

Yeah its really bad, I honestly don't know why I went through with uploading it. After work today I'll rerecord it.

EDIT: I went a bit crazy trying to deal with the white noise whenever I speak. Noise removal is good enough in getting rid of stuff during my silent moments, but I went crazy trying to remove it that eventually noise removal just started lowering the volume to the point I couldn't hear it. No one has remarked about the white noise (and it may be harder to hear with the video then it is when I'm listening to just it in audacity) so I'll try not going as wild on it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 7, 2014

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

radintorov posted:

financial empire

Bit late, but this cracked me up.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Saitorr posted:

Bit late, but this cracked me up.
Glad you liked it. :shobon:
And thanks for explaining why Saya did what she did, guys: it seems really dumb, but at least now I know too. :v:

Speaking of the current video, it shows that while the game main content is still managing your ships and stations, it does have good dogfighting and massive battles are gorgeous to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Vote: USS Protected Stairs

But yeah, glad someone is spergy enough to do a LP on that. Will be following.

• Locked thread