Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry it took so long to get this out. In this video we continue the story and I show some of the frustrations that can come with taking over bailed ships.

Update 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgt3fsBnVKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so does this version of X3: [subtitle] have the Khaak as an enemy?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

double nine posted:

so does this version of X3: [subtitle] have the Khaak as an enemy?

In Albion Prelude it doesn't, the Khaak were destroyed in Terran Conflict. All that remains is finding them as randomly abandoned ships

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Nevermind, beaten.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Leal posted:

In Albion Prelude it doesn't, the Khaak were destroyed in Terran Conflict. All that remains is finding them as randomly abandoned ships

I don't think the Kha'ak were completely destroyed in TC, I never actually finished the Kha'ak TC storyline entirely because I kept running into a bug during one of the 'attack Kha'ak base' missions that prevented me from going further and I didn't really care but the impression I was getting is that the Kha'ak in the immediate region were being defeated and forced to retreat.

There are still Kha'ak out there, they are just disorganised and no longer interested in attacking the X-universe sectors.

I bet they're having a grand ole' war with the Xenon in some of their undiscovered sectors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I should've mentioned but I am pretty much caught back up, I just need to finish off our little fleet and continue trying to make the pirates be our bros to rebuild our weed station. There is one thing I'd like to mention:

:siren:I need more names!:siren:

Station names and ship names, I'll be building quite a few stations now that I've shown them off and I'm running out of star wars squadrons to name our fighters after.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Leal posted:

Sorry it took so long to get this out. In this video we continue the story and I show some of the frustrations that can come with taking over bailed ships.

Update 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgt3fsBnVKY

This is why I tend to be averse to missiles.
I'm also surprised that the Terrans take so long to get mad at you. Clearly I need to play around with my Centaur some more. sadly the faster M6s lack the turret cover of the Centaur

To be fair, you kinda rammed the Falcon you stole.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I wouldn't feel too bad about losing the Terran ships. Terran ships kind of suck. Well, their ships are alright, but the inability to mount any weapons other than EMPCs is really harsh, since EMPCs are one of the worst weapons in my opinion. It's kind of a shame, really. Every time I did play Albion Prelude, the Terrans always got their poo poo quickly destroyed by the Argon, despite the fact that the Terran ships are supposed to be much more advanced, just because Terran guns are total trash.

Except for the M/AMLs. Those are alright.

Also that teleporting thing was really weird. Never seen anything like that before.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I found EMPCs to be perfectly adequate for any situation. Never the best gun to use, but not the worst, either. But the fact that the ones you have are all you can get and it's a fucker to get more are why, when I was playing Terran Conflict as a Terran pilot, I switched over to my Xenon L as soon as I got it. The laser batteries on the thing ran dry really fast, but at least I could give it some guns, and the missiles I had weren't the only ones I would ever get, since the Terran economy stagnates pretty much immediately and all the gun and missile production lines shut down.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I found EMPCs to be perfectly adequate for any situation. Never the best gun to use, but not the worst, either. But the fact that the ones you have are all you can get and it's a fucker to get more are why, when I was playing Terran Conflict as a Terran pilot, I switched over to my Xenon L as soon as I got it. The laser batteries on the thing ran dry really fast, but at least I could give it some guns, and the missiles I had weren't the only ones I would ever get, since the Terran economy stagnates pretty much immediately and all the gun and missile production lines shut down.

They're adequate, except that they're about as powerful as the HEPT, except with a lower firing rate, less accuracy, and a slower projectile. The thing is though, if that was their only problem, I'd still be fine with them. The real reason I hate Terran weapons is because they have nothing else. That kind of weapon is really only good for fighting M3s and slower M4s. For the more common M4s and M5s, hitting them with a weapon that slow and inaccurate is just a chore. For the Commonwealth, they have a lot of other choices. PACs, PBEs, Tri-Beams are all good options to switch to for destroying the smaller targets, but for Terrans, you just have to suck it up and try and chase them down with the slow and inaccurate EMPCs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah thats the issue with the Terran ships is that their economy relies on us and that they're hostile against us. And this is assuming the GOD engine doesn't just delete the stations cause they aren't being used.

I mostly want to keep terran ships as a trophy :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Economics, how to make money and not war

This update will talk more about the economy of the game as I feel it'll be better to have it all in one place rather then offhand comments I make in the video. Now you could use whatever ship to trade, trading is as simple as buying something cheap at one station and selling it for a higher price. A fast freighter is the best choice though, carrying a couple thousand units of cargo beats using a fast fighter with 300 units. For simplification I'll be putting "c" after numbers to denote "credits".

Before I begin though let me tell you about GOD. Its the Global Decision Engine that places, replaces and removes stations. I'm not sure what the official word is on how it works, but generally if a station is not being used GOD deletes it. This can cause an issue with Terran sectors where they are so big and have no jumpgates that traders are very slow in actually supplying factories and GOD just deletes them. Except sometimes not, sometimes GOD will just delete them just because. In fact in the current game GOD deleted the solar power plant in Argon M148 which is a real dick move cause it was great for resupplying jumpdrive cells, gave cells to the ore mines I usually plant there and gave the many weapon factories there power. So places I suggest may not hold up in your game if GOD decided to remove all the weapon factories in a sector where ore mines would of generated constant income.

Here is the trade window again. From top to bottom:

Products are sold, never bought. The more product that a factory has the cheaper they'll sell them, the less they have the more expensive the product is.

Resources are bought, never sold. The less of a resource a factory has the more they'll buy it for, and vice versa.

Note: Some bases, notably equipment docks and trading stations, will only buy and sell products at the middle price. Energy cells go as cheap as 12c and as high as 20c, but at trading stations they will always be at 16c whether they're empty or full of cells. Unfortunately this makes being a weapons dealer pretty difficult (that is, buying from NPC factories and selling them for a profit) cause you'll have to wait till a factory has over half their stock full and generally you aren't as lucky cause the AI eats them up.

Secondary Resources: Are kinda like regular resources, but they aren't worth as much and don't effect production in any way. Generally they might go a little higher then the middle price even when they are completely empty. They are mainly to keep the economy going and to prevent a surplus of certain items from happening.

So on one hand things like disintegrator rifles will never sell for their max price, but you aren't at the mercy of relying on npc factories to go through crafting resources and possibly getting full and never using the remaining resources and thus have a reliable buyer.

You'll notice some of the products are red, that means we are being restricted from buying the item (though we can sell red items just fine). On the bottom right of the window is the rank we need to buy the restricted product, the bottom left is our current rank.

In the middle bottom is the trade bar, moving it towards ship adds the item to our ship and we have to click "ok" to confirm the purchase. Moving it towards market is for selling the product. The red block is space currently being used up by other product in our freight. There will be a blue block when the item we are trading is in our cargo.

There are 2 things that are important with items, Volume (vol) and Cargo Class (TC for whatever reason). Volume is how many units of space an item takes up in your cargo, so with 4000 cargo space we can carry one thousand 4 unit items. Cargo class determines what size the ship needs to be to carry the product. S is small, M is medium, L is Large, XL is Extra Large and ST is Station. Most ships can handle M and S, an ever so small amount of ships cannot hold L sized cargo, freighters are the go to for XL cargo and TL ships are needed to carry ST cargo.

Now maybe you don't want to fly in a slow ship yourself competing with the AI to sell stuff. There are 2 ways to get away from doing it yourself:

Trading system extension is what allows you to trade through other ships in your fleet. You'd want one anyways so you can buy upgrades for your other ships, but you can also tell your trader to dock somewhere, buy a bunch of stuff, then dock at another station then sell it. This is only slightly better then flying the ship yourself but you still need to manually check where the lowest prices are to buy and then the best place to sell.

Trader MK3 software lets you order a ship to go trade by itself. This is nice cause your AI ship will know exactly where to buy and sell things, and you wont have to do any work on your end....

Except your AI traders need to level up. The (25) is the rank of the trader, this is the max level. Trade level generally means they can do more jumps, at higher ranks they'll buy their own jump drives and fix themselves up if damaged as well as buy fighter drones to defend themselves with (note that this uses your credits). Unfortunately from rank 1 to 5 your traders can only trade in the same sector. Your best bet is throwing the trader into a sector with a solar power plant and give it time, bonus if a sector has a power plant, ore mine and a weapon producing factory. However eventually the trader will top off every station in the sector and will enter "standby" till either a station needs more cells or you make him trade in another sector. Once a trader gets to rank 6 though they can move up to 1 jump, which really makes the leveling up process go faster as you can then have him trading from the solar power plant to 4 other sectors (5 counting the one he is based in). At rank 8 they can become universe traders.

Now maybe you're tired of relying on the AI stations, maybe GOD deleted a lucrative station for whatever reason. Maybe its time you supplied the needed resources, maybe you really want to equip your fighter wing with some HEPTs and the entire universe is out of HEPTs :argh: Anyway its time to build your own station. You'll need to either buy your own TL to transport the stations or you can hire one. In every sector with a shipyard there will be a TL ship that you can hire. Just fly up to them and press the communicate key:

You can hire the ship. They charge a few thousand credits for each jump gate that they fly through.

It'll show up as a blue ship in your property menu. In the sector map it'll have a yellow name.

When you talk to the captain of the hired ship you can order the ship to do a few things, mostly though you'll just command him to dock at the ship yard, load up the stations, tell him to fly to the sector you want to drop the station in, then to either dock back at the station or fire him. As an aside yes, its totally possible to command a TL to fly into a xenon sector.

This is the menu for your factories. Its very similar to NPC factories, only player owned factories don't have secondary resources and some player factories don't have the same resource requirement as NPC shops (player owned cahoona factories don't need wheat).

Cycle info shows the cycle time, how long it takes to produce a product, number of products is how many of the product is made per cycle, and production finished is showing how long till the cycle ends.

When connected with a complex kit another section will be added to the station menu, intermittent products which is stuff your complex is making and is also using up.

Note that you can also use your factories/complex to hold some products. Build an XL solar power plant and be able to store a few thousand energy cells and use it to refuel your jumpdrives when needed. You'll need to connect multiple of the same factory together to hold more of a product, say connecting a bunch of HEPT factories just to store all the HEPTs that you can find. Just be sure to set "trades with other races" to off.

There are a few commands you can give your trade stations. You can set how high or low you will buy/sell a product. This determines what your own traders will buy/sell a product and when NPCs will do some trading at your station. You can also set whether AI traders can even buy/sell at your factory. You can set the jump range, which means how far from the sector the station is in your AI traders will buy and sell. You can put credits into the factory which lets the station buy products, do note that if your station has no money in it the station will be unable to buy any products. Then you can set how many credits a station will hold before it automatically deposits credits into your account.

Note that you'll need a Trader MK2 software installed in your ships for them to use the "sell for/buy for best price" command. No rank fuckery with station traders, just plug it in and set them free.

Now remember how I said you had to depend on looking around the screen to see where a station will be dropped at, requiring you to fly close to where you want to drop a station so you can see where it'll go. I actually learned of this very recently and it makes manually placing stations much better. In the map click on this button thats been circled.

And now you can actually see what is around the station. Unfortunately you can't really change the camera angle (I think) outside of top view and side view. Still you can actually see where stations are and it makes mashing a thousand stations together for a complex MUCH easier.

And that's about it. Some good sectors for (relatively) early cash is Argon Sector m148, assuming GOD doesn't delete the power plant there, and Aladna Hill as they have a lot of weapon factories there with a solar power plant in the same sector. Later on Profit Center Alpha is pretty solid for a large weed plantation as there are a number of Teladi sectors around it, especially if the AI decides to use its jump drive to ignore the nearby xenon sector, and if you are friends with the pirates in Void of Opportunity and Loomanstract's Legacy. Then you find a sector where you are safe and wont be scanned by local patrols (unknown sectors or the Yaki sectors), press the seta key then alt tab as your cash flows in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you create just trade stations that will buy and sell goods from NPC traders, or are you limited to production stations?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

Can you create just trade stations that will buy and sell goods from NPC traders, or are you limited to production stations?

You CAN create trade stations, but they don't work like NPC trade stations. They work...well, they're weird. I forget their gimmick, but I know it's really hard to make money with them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah player owned trading stations are kinda worthless for making cash. Prices you set on them is for both buying AND selling, meaning that if you set the price low so you'll buy the product low you'll also sell it low, and if you set it to a high price to sell it high you'll also buy it at a high price.

At best you can use them to put some of your product from your own factories and store them in another sector for NPC traders to buy the product at. I guess if you set up a factory in Yaki space and for whatever reason instead of using your own traders to sell the product you want the AI to come to you and buy them you set a trading station outside of Yaki space and ferry products from the factory to the station.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Trade stations are mostly for taping to the end of massive supercomplexes so that traders only have to go to one location to purchase everything you are manufacturing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I've always used trade stations to ferry goods around the galaxy to sell, automatically. If you make so that every station has dedicated seller ships and turn off NPC trading, you can use incrementing prices on a good to direct the good to travel along your trade line, and if at any point along that line there's someone buying your seller will take it to the station, netting a nice profit.

I read a guide that suggested it a long time ago (possibly pre-TC?), and it's always been my go-to once my trade empire gets up and running.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I've always liked bird names for ships. Eagle, Condor, Raven, Hawk...

Maybe castle/palace names for stations? Windsor, Versaille, Buckingham, San Simeon...
Or prisons? The Rock, Chateau d'If, Attica, Shawkshank, Azkaban...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

the only problem with weed stations is no-where really demands the stuff. so you never get the huge profits that selling consumed resources can net you

on the other hand, 420 weed ev'ry day.
(I got a Pirate base in Profit Centre Alpha. So I get swoit pirate rep from my weedery)

My pirate rep which has now tanked since I advanced the plot. >.< So many red blips.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Putting down a bliss palace in pirate systems is one of the few reliable and hands-off ways of gaining pirate rep, also makes a quick buck.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
… So, I never played X3 or any of the X games. However, from what I've seen in this thread…

Aren't the Terrans actually the good guys? I mean, they're xenophobic, sure, but on the AGI front they seem to be the only sane guys. More so, in Reunion and Terran Conflict, they're the ones playing Cavalry for the rest of inhabited systems against the Kha'ak.

And now, they get their primary defence system of Earth destroyed in a terrorist attack sponsored by the 'good guy' Argon Federation for no other reason than impeding AGI development (which is the sane thing to do considering their previous history) and get dog-piled by the Commonality.

So why all the hate?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Terrans don't get along well with the rest of the universe because they see the rest of the universe as soft and way too in bed with AGI while the rest of the universe see the Terrans as xenophobic assholes who came out of nowhere and started telling them how to run their lives.

The fact that the Terrans made the Xenon and then just shunted them into space for the rest of the galaxy to deal with also leaves a pretty nasty taste in everyone's mouth.

The X series isn't really so much about 'good guys vs bad guys' as it is 'guys vs other guys', each of the factions has their own particular world view and attitudes and in most cases they are neither good nor evil just different. The later games even start to suggest that the Xenon aren't actually evil so much as completely oblivious and\or uncaring about anything that isn't Xenon. Hell even the Kha'ak aren't actually evil, just incapable of communicating in any way that would make sense to us and really upset that everyone keeps trying to steal chunks of their homeworld.

While not the 'good guys' the Terrans are definitely 'the cavalry' which is why their ships and equipment are (supposed to be, whether they succeed or not depends on who you ask) generally of superior quality compared to everyone else's stuff.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

The Terrans don't get along well with the rest of the universe because they see the rest of the universe as soft and way too in bed with AGI while the rest of the universe see the Terrans as xenophobic assholes who came out of nowhere and started telling them how to run their lives.

The fact that the Terrans made the Xenon and then just shunted them into space for the rest of the galaxy to deal with also leaves a pretty nasty taste in everyone's mouth.

The X series isn't really so much about 'good guys vs bad guys' as it is 'guys vs other guys', each of the factions has their own particular world view and attitudes and in most cases they are neither good nor evil just different. The later games even start to suggest that the Xenon aren't actually evil so much as completely oblivious and\or uncaring about anything that isn't Xenon. Hell even the Kha'ak aren't actually evil, just incapable of communicating in any way that would make sense to us and really upset that everyone keeps trying to steal chunks of their homeworld.

While not the 'good guys' the Terrans are definitely 'the cavalry' which is why their ships and equipment are (supposed to be, whether they succeed or not depends on who you ask) generally of superior quality compared to everyone else's stuff.

Well, kind of. Might want to make some lore posts to explain some things at some point, but for now I'll give a bit of story.

In the prehistory of the X-universe, the Terrans developed an autonomous drone platform to terraform worlds. They were known as the Terraformers, and did this job with such efficiency that the Terrans got a bit complacent about them. At this time, none of the other races had made it to space or been discovered, so it was just humanity alone in space. At some point, the Terraformers got a firmware update, after which they stopped responding to all transmissions. When they were next encountered, they had armed themselves, and changed their mandate from 'making worlds livable' to 'destroying all life'.

Exactly what happened is a long and complex story that I don't think was ever fully told. The Terrans couldn't stop the Terraformers though any of the normal means, so they were forced to try and destroy them with weapons. The Terraformers were given the ability to adapt to unforeseen obstacles and develop new ways to overcome them (Hence AGI: Artificial General Intelligence. An AI with no restrictions on its ability to learn and adapt), and so they developed a military response. The Earth forces weren't prepared for a fight against the numbers that the Terraformers threw at them, and in the end were forced to destroy the gate leading to Sol in order to stop the Terraformers from wiping them out entirely. The remains of the Terran fleet on the other non-Sol side became the Argons, and in their struggle to survive the following years, lost a lot of their history. All their technology was repurposed to meet basic survival needs, so most of their history and technology was lost. Meanwhile, the humans on the Sol side of things went about trying to rebuild, and then fortified. They assumed (and rightly so) that the Terraformers were out there searching for a new way to Earth and building up their forces, which eventually developed into a general cultural xenophobia that every unwatched corner of the universe could contain and Terraformer fleet.

The Terraformers meanwhile, withdrew, built up, and became the Xenon. Whether the Xenon are truly sapient is disputed in the games. It was sort of accepted for a while that they were thinking machines that hated organic life, but later on it was suggested that they might not actually be intelligent. That the last firmware update they received didn't make them intelligent, but corrupted their core ethos, turning them into killing machines, and that there was the possibility they were actively trying to 'develop' sapience as a way to overcome that corruption.

That led to the core conflict in the war in this game: The Terrans have spent hundreds of years preparing for the return of the Terraformers and the final war between man and machine, and aren't about to be convinced that any other outcome is possible. Meanwhile the Commonwealth (for reasons I won't get into here) believe that if the Xenon are isolated and left alone, that they will eventually sort themselves out, they will become a reasonable intelligence that can be dealt with diplomatically.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the matter of Xenon sentience gets thrown around a lot in X3:TC and the ultimate answer in that game was "No loving clue either way and would we even recognise it if they were?" I never got far into the story of AP though so I'm vaguely interested to see if they talk about that some more.

At the very least the Xenon seem to 'know' more about the gate network than anyone else and appear to be doing things with the Gate Hub, I don't remember if TC ever told us who built the Hub(s?), if it was the Xenon or if the Xenon just happen to hold it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 28, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

Yeah the matter of Xenon sentience gets thrown around a lot in X3:TC and the ultimate answer in that game was "No loving clue either way and would we even recognise it if they were?" I never got far into the story of AP though so I'm vaguely interested to see if they talk about that some more.

At the very least the Xenon seem to 'know' more about the gate network than anyone else and appear to be doing things with the Gate Hub, I don't remember if TC ever told us who built the Hub(s?), if it was the Xenon or if the Xenon just happen to hold it.

I don't know if they ever outright explained it. I think it was implied that it was discovered, and its original purpose was for the initial setup of the Gate network, but that could easily have just been an assumption I made.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't think anyone really knows where the gate network came from, given that the guys who built it were apparently also capable of building dyson spheres too they must have had some serious engineering chops. Interestingly the Terrans can also build jump gates that are quite happy to just connect right into the network so the gates themselves aren't that complicated, but still leaves the question of the Hub open. Who the hell built that dyson sphere?

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
The really interesting question is how the Terrans came up with Jump Gates. I can buy a Clarke-tech Network recognizing the basic architecture of a Jump Gate and going "Huh, new Gates being built. Into the Network you go." I can also buy the early Terrans going "Huh, surprising. Don't look at a gift horse's mouth and all, right?".

And I'd personally agree with the Terrans on this one. They know they screwed up with the Xenon and have spend literally hundreds of years preparing in order to undo that mistake and survive it. And now the Commonwealth tells them "Chill out, the Xenon will sort themselves out.", just after they needed the Terrans to pull their asses out of the fire with the Kha'ak. What the hell does the Commonwealth know? The Terrans remember their creations and the slaughter they inflicted. They fought the AGI before and survived by the skin of their teeth and an heroic sacrifice. Other than the Argon, no other species can claim even a fraction of the knowledge the Terrans have of AGIs.

Hell, even worst, from the Intro itself we know that a year after the destruction of the Torus, the AGIs swarm Sol with the rather obvious intent of finishing what they started centuries ago, all the while the Commonwealth is STILL at war with the Terrans. A war that the Terrans seem to be winning, though, if the "the USC/Terrans are advancing on the Commonwealth's worlds" line is to be believed.

Seems to me that, for all the "guys against other guys" shades of grey, the Terrans have a rather more realistic and wiser perspective of the universe than anyone else.

Which makes me rather sad that everyone seems to hate them.

It might be my 40ker Imperial Loyalist side showing, though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well according to the books the Terrans came up with this technique to create a stable micro-wormhole and then when they sent out sensors what the hell there are all these stable micro-wormholes everywhere!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Delta Green posted:

The really interesting question is how the Terrans came up with Jump Gates. I can buy a Clarke-tech Network recognizing the basic architecture of a Jump Gate and going "Huh, new Gates being built. Into the Network you go." I can also buy the early Terrans going "Huh, surprising. Don't look at a gift horse's mouth and all, right?".

And I'd personally agree with the Terrans on this one. They know they screwed up with the Xenon and have spend literally hundreds of years preparing in order to undo that mistake and survive it. And now the Commonwealth tells them "Chill out, the Xenon will sort themselves out.", just after they needed the Terrans to pull their asses out of the fire with the Kha'ak. What the hell does the Commonwealth know? The Terrans remember their creations and the slaughter they inflicted. They fought the AGI before and survived by the skin of their teeth and an heroic sacrifice. Other than the Argon, no other species can claim even a fraction of the knowledge the Terrans have of AGIs.

Hell, even worst, from the Intro itself we know that a year after the destruction of the Torus, the AGIs swarm Sol with the rather obvious intent of finishing what they started centuries ago, all the while the Commonwealth is STILL at war with the Terrans. A war that the Terrans seem to be winning, though, if the "the USC/Terrans are advancing on the Commonwealth's worlds" line is to be believed.

Seems to me that, for all the "guys against other guys" shades of grey, the Terrans have a rather more realistic and wiser perspective of the universe than anyone else.

Which makes me rather sad that everyone seems to hate them.

It might be my 40ker Imperial Loyalist side showing, though.

I always preferred the Terrans. Partially because they seemed more reasonable, and partially because I actually like the design aesthetic of the ATF ships.

As for the gates...If I remember correctly, when a portal 'event' is activated, the portal automatically connects to the nearest other portal event of comparable size. When the Terrans activated their first portal, they had sent one gate to Alpha Centauri, I believe it was, via conventional means. However, since it never occurred to them that there might be other gates out there, they brought the Earth gate online before the Alpha Centauri one. Likewise, the gate-builders never considered the possibility that a totally random species might start building gates, so they just activated gates as they went, leaving them active and unconnected until they finished the one on the other side. So it was basically just random chance that the two gates connected, because neither of the ones who built them ever considered the possibility that another species might be out there building similar things.

EDIT: Also, the Commonwealth does have their reasons for poking at/protecting the Xenon, but I don't know what comes up in Albion Prelude, and what Leal wants to talk about, so I'm trying to keep it to the bare minimum information you need to understand the situation.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To mix it up, I decided to try the Terran start.
The rumours of a decent amount of cash and equipment to start off with are a LIE. I've kitted out my corvette with software and modules, and don't even have enough left over to make a good scout. let alone the freighter fleet I'd like.

tempted to sell the terran start ship and trade it in for a horde of freighters.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
People talking about a decent amount of cash might be thinking of the X3:TC terran start which gave you a pretty decent set of equipment and immediately chucked you into the Terran storyline which you could go a fair way down without any real equipment and pick yourself up a bunch of free ships including a free Destroyer. (I think it was a Destroyer, you have to do some boarding practice on a ship and they let you keep the ship after.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

People talking about a decent amount of cash might be thinking of the X3:TC terran start which gave you a pretty decent set of equipment and immediately chucked you into the Terran storyline which you could go a fair way down without any real equipment and pick yourself up a bunch of free ships including a free Destroyer. (I think it was a Destroyer, you have to do some boarding practice on a ship and they let you keep the ship after.)

In game it describes it that way.

It lies.

And augh no trade sats and no best buy/sell locators is THE WORST.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh hah yeah don't believe anything the game tells you about starts it always lies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Update 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56vnXGVWO8

We finish up the main plot of AP, we are given two choices on where to continue:

Do we go to the nvidium mining corporation, the Teladi based company with the promise of profits?

Or do we go to Atreus and see what the peace loving Boron are offering?

Go ahead and vote!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Those Teladi sound like a trustworthy bunch. Nothing can go wrong by allying with them.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Pursssssue... profitsssss.

E: Teladi

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Wait..."Done with the main story"? But nothing of relevance happened. What about the war and stuff? Is there no resolution in that area? This seems very abrupt, especially compared to the storylines in the previous games.

Also Teladi.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to be contrary and vote for helping the Boron.

Now that you've got the time off from the war why don't you show us some ship salvaging? There should be a few cool ships out there ready for the taking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuramor posted:

Wait..."Done with the main story"? But nothing of relevance happened. What about the war and stuff? Is there no resolution in that area? This seems very abrupt, especially compared to the storylines in the previous games.

Yeah looking at the guides that is the "main story" for this, there are some continuations that go on later on but what I can tell those weren't added till a later patch. So the game shipped out and ended.. here. I was pretty confused as well when it ended, it really felt like I didn't do much at all.

Last Transmission posted:

Now that you've got the time off from the war why don't you show us some ship salvaging? There should be a few cool ships out there ready for the taking.

:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ah dude, that Flying Saucer is new to me :allears:

• Locked thread