Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
You aren't going to die in Afghanistan.
We are in the middle of a draw-down.
Those boots aren't in regulation.
If you joined for any reason besides the GI bill you dumb as gently caress.

Discuss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
But I want to defend america

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gleep gloop posted:

You aren't going to die in Afghanistan.
We are in the middle of a draw-down.
Those boots aren't in regulation.
If you joined for any reason besides the GI bill you dumb as gently caress.

Discuss:

Well at least I'm no longer dumb as gently caress.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Don't listen to gleep gloop. Now is the best time to enlist as USMC Infantry.

America doesn't like going too long without pushing someone's poo poo in, and even though we're taking a break from the desert, you'll probably still get to storm a beach and kill some pirates or child soldiers before your four years are done.

smeper fi

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Can't wait until the next war when they find out the hard way that pretty uniforms and dress right dress doesn't make for the most effective fighting force. Let's learn everything all over again. "gently caress, we should have kept around some of those dudes who had bad haircuts and rolled their sleeves."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Next war's either gonna be completely fuckoff worthless like the last two, or absolutely loving crazy WWIII: Korean War 2 against the USSR v2.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If my experience with shipping equipment these past two weeks is any indication, we'll end up missing the next war because the Air Force is too scared of getting dirt in their planes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's a SAPR briefing scheduled that day already, followed by suicide prevention talks. Postpone the air campaign.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I can't wait until an army in which no one has tattooes goes to war and gets slaughtered

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I joined the Bill Clinton peacetime college train and you all hosed it up by voting Republican.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I would join to learn how to administer a network so I can make a 5 figures in the civilian world.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
i needed to hone my airsoft skills

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I would join to learn how to administer a network so I can make a 5 figures in the civilian world.

Pffft I'm gonna get out and make MAD BANK working construction for my uncle!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Canadian Forces is being really careful about giving out welding tickets and heavy equipment operators licenses, because everyone posted out west is jumping ship to work in the oil fields.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Pffft I'm gonna get out and make MAD BANK working "construction" for my cousin vinny!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Enjoy serving under new officers trying to figure out how to compete for promotion against people with combat records.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Subterfrugal posted:

I joined the Bill Clinton peacetime college train and you all hosed it up by voting Republican.

This.
I was promised Med deployments and got month after month of sweating in the NAG you bastards.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
anyone who joins combat arms is especially dumb right now.

enjoy your non-translatable skills of sweeping motor pools and doing push ups because your sexually frustrated leadership has spent longer than 4 hours from staring at the bottom of a bottle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Subterfrugal posted:

lol we did it right because without the reds there wouldn't have been a post 9/11 bill. god bless those crazy bastards at the time

fygm, is really what im trying to say here

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If it wasn't for 9/11 there would be no 9/11 GI bill so Osama is literally a better patriot than McCain. They both killed Americans, but at least one helped to make the GI bill happen.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the only thing worse than being combat arms is being combat arms in peacetime

hoooooooooooooly gently caress you want to talk about a miserable existence

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
at least training ranges before and between deployments were enjoyable wastes of bullets and explosives.

EOD wants to demonstrate a vbied using a lemon lot chevy and hundreds of pounds of c4? let's do it to it.

need a battalion-wide fam fire and qualification of the m320s? waste half a day ploomping some crazy ivans.

does your brigade commander get a hardon for a calfex or twenty? send the abrams and cats to the aha to pull stupid amounts of ammo.

i can't even imagine training ranges for a peacetime army. how to target sexual harassment? spotting a properly shined boot from 200m? designated squad vacuuming?

IS THE LINE READY? THE CLEANING LINE IS READY. CLEANERS, CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wouldn't wish peacetime artillery on anyone. Polish bare metal, sweep gunsheds, all day, every day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Peacetime tank unit

Monday - Motorpool
Tuesday - Motorpool
Wednesday - Motorpool
Thursday - Motorpool
Friday - Motorpool
Saturday - Motorpool
Sunday - Motorpool

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Peacetime tank unit

Monday - Motorpool
Tuesday - Motorpool
Wednesday - Motorpool
Thursday - Motorpool
Friday - Motorpool
Saturday - Motorpool
Sunday - Motorpool

Pretty sure you're missing PT and field days,

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Pretty sure you're missing PT and field days,
Motor pool PT and motor pool field day.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Peacetime tank unit

Monday - Motorpool
Tuesday - Motorpool
Wednesday - Motorpool
Thursday - Motorpool
Friday - Motorpool
Saturday - Motorpool
Sunday - Motorpool

Oh hey it's like being in the air wing during war time except we usually had saturday and sunday off and we didn't play dumb games because we actually had work to do :v:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
a friend of mine came over today and brought another dude with him. the guy said he is enlisting in the marine corps in a year. i told him not to. peacetime military sucks real bad.

"nah man it depends on what field you go into"

lol okay bud

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

Oh hey it's like being in the air wing during war time except we usually had saturday and sunday off and we didn't play dumb games because we actually had work to do :v:

Stateside War-time reserve 53 unit was easily the best loving thing that can happen to any Air Winger. No boat rides longer than a month, very unlikely to be deployed to anywhere dustier than Pendleton and you really only have to keep poo poo in sub-mothballed status until the reservists show up on Friday.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
It's always a treat being told what the military is going to be like by people who've never served.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Stateside War-time reserve 53 unit was easily the best loving thing that can happen to any Air Winger. No boat rides longer than a month, very unlikely to be deployed to anywhere dustier than Pendleton and you really only have to keep poo poo in sub-mothballed status until the reservists show up on Friday.

I spent like 90% of my time chilling in a hangar in japan because I-level mechanics don't get to deploy for anything. I only had to wear my cammies like once a week for field day formation and everywhere else I wore civilian attire or coveralls. poo poo we even had a gas grill out behind the shop that we used to cook lunch and poo poo

:feelsgood:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Can't wait until the next war when they find out the hard way that pretty uniforms and dress right dress doesn't make for the most effective fighting force. Let's learn everything all over again. "gently caress, we should have kept around some of those dudes who had bad haircuts and rolled their sleeves."

The guys who join for the uniforms or because they had no other life options are the military. Everyone else is just visiting and they know it. War is an unfortunate interruption to chinese field days and uniform inspections.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

I spent like 90% of my time chilling in a hangar in japan because I-level mechanics don't get to deploy for anything. I only had to wear my cammies like once a week for field day formation and everywhere else I wore civilian attire or coveralls. poo poo we even had a gas grill out behind the shop that we used to cook lunch and poo poo

:feelsgood:

This was me, but at Edwards AFB and 3 days of cammies. But Air Force barracks life was the poo poo. Fast internet, hot chicks throwing their blue cammies off when I smiled at them and spent every weekend crashing on my brother's couch in San Diego. Telling Air Force senior enlisted to Go the gently caress away when they entered our shop was pretty fun, too.

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay
At least I get delicious sand hill dfac food for 3 years. Also loving airborne POGUES sound off the weirdest versions of cadences. Also airborne dfac too good.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

All chowhalls are poo poo unless staff nco's or officers are forced to eat there. Breakfast and lunch in japan was pretty good and I'd just go down to the Soba shop on the otherside of base for dinner. Oceana on the other hand served food I wouldn't even feed to my loving dog

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a war would be p sweet so i can actually do my job of distributing mass wing recalls and sending out DEPORDS and helping get lots of jets off the ground on time instead of running checklists for dead veterans and calling security forces because some colonel saw a tree in the street and wants it taken care of asap or having civilians scream at me for the navy/marine jets using our low levels around the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Peacetime military is gonna be awesome as a dirtbag staff officer. If there's a war on and I'm a dirtbag, I'd be kinda sad for loving people over in the desert due to my laziness and lack of gently caress giving. But in peacetime? Who gives a poo poo, nothing loving matters ever.

Peacetime military is just one giant bullshit make-work jobs program.

• Locked thread