Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pram posted:

didnt read but i have the chase sapphire preferred and its made out of aluminum and everyone at mcdonalds and walgreens r always really impressed when they scan it

swag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
my old visa expired and the new card they sent me has that tap to pay thing it's pretty cool also doesn't require batteries so idg why anyone thinks payments via mobile phone will be a thing anytime soon

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

PuTTY riot posted:

can u just slam ur whole wallet/rear end against the reader thing?

i didn't even think to try

but my debit card also has the tap to pay thing too so i prob won't try

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mishaq posted:

lol if you don't use a credit card and pay the balance in full monthly instead of using a debit card

ya this i net ~$600 per year off my card and i don't even travel much anymore for work

last month i hosed up and didn't pay my bill on time and called them and i said i was confused about how much interest i was charged and they said "oh no worries you always pay your bill on time normally and paid it off since then so we'll just reverse the charges" it was pretty great

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Number19 posted:

lol if you're not doing this and collecting points on everything

gently caress points, cashback ftw

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sniep posted:

yeah when you sign up for costco its just part of the process, you get an amex as your membership card and it is a standard 1-2-3 % cash back card like any other one that you can use anywhere. (3% gas, 2% dining, 1% everything else if i recall?)

that's your membership card.

do they have the other perks you get with gold/plat/infinite cards?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
$ is better than points 99% of the time

points can (and do) get devalued at any time

i've given up ever getting a flight when i want with all my aeroplan miles

if you fly a lot for work then maybe miles are worth it just to put you over the edge to elite but apparently they've made that harder now too, or so i've been told

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

gently caress no cashback for life

just get a check at the end of the year for $X

yeah this, no min/maxing required

now, otoh, getting the most out of the shopper's drug mart optimum reward program requires some mad min/maxing skill, yo

quote:

It’s not often that you will see me buying a cart full of groceries at Shoppers Drug Mart (the store is WAY overpriced for most things), but when you do, I have a very good reason for it. That reason is likely because I am getting a boatload of Shoppers Optimum Reward points for buying a whole whack of stuff (or, I’m redeeming those points for a ton of free goodies).
In my opinion, the Shoppers Optimum Rewards program is the best rewards program that is offered in Canada. I am not paid by Shoppers Drug Mart to promote their program (I wish!), but I love it so much that I tell everyone who will listen.
It really is quite simple to rack up lots of Optimum points in a short period.
Tips on How to Earn Shoppers Optimum Rewards Points Fast:
1. Only shop on Bonus Point Days
This should be obvious, but many people don’t know that the only time you should ever set foot inside a Shoppers Drug Mart location is when they are hosting a bonus point promotion (20x the points, 8,000 points when you spend $50, etc.).
Of course, there are exceptions to this rule (prescription pick-up, checking out clearance deals, or only buying their special sale items), but generally I tell people to avoid Shopper’s Drug Mart until a special points promotion is going on.
Tip: Coupons count towards your out-of-pocket total. If you need to spend $50 to earn 20x the points on your transaction, and want to use $20 worth of coupons, you will only spend $30, but will earn points on that $50 price.
2. Watch for Bonus Point Coupons and Offers
There are always special bonus point offers available that you can use to bump up your points faster.
Check out the Shoppers Drug Mart website for printable point coupons and notifications of in store points offers, and always pay attention to the shelves while you are shopping in store, because some products will advertise special offers (buy 2 Windex, earn 500 points, for example).
3. Always check out the clearance rack
Almost every Shoppers Drug Mart store has a clearance rack inside. Find this rack at your location and make it a habit to check it out regularly. The clearance deals at Shoppers Drug Mart are some of my favourites.
Keep in mind that just because something is on clearance, doesn’t mean you can’t earn points on that item. Check out this area of your store for great deals that you can pick up, and earn points in the process.
Tip: Some clearance items also offer special point offers, so watch for these stickers, too!
4. Buy a Shoppers Optimum gift card
Although you don’t earn points when you buy other store gift cards at Shoppers Drug Mart, you will earn points when you purchase gift cards for Shoppers Drug Mart.
Note: You will only earn regular points on these cards, not bonus points (so no buying a $50 gift card on 20x the points day and expecting to earn 20x the points on that gift card purchase).
Tip: Make sure to purchase a gift card before you shop to earn these extra points.
Like I mentioned, I really do believe that the Shoppers Optimum program is the best rewards program in Canada. There’s no other program out there (that I know of, anyway) that will reward you with so many points for so little cash out-of-pocket.
Be sure to check out my Free E-Book, The Ultimate Guide to Shoppers Optimum Rewards for many more tips on maximizing your points at Shoppers Drug Mart.
Editors Note: I agree with Cassie about the Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Rewards program being the best of its kind in Canada (aside from Canadian Tire ermmm tools are good too). Over the past year we redeemed over $1300 in points to furnish our home with 3 televisions, 2 net-books blue ray player, hard drive, cologne, perfume, and food. Shopping on 20x points events, using coupons with flyer deals and being part of the Optimum plus program also helped. As for the electronics they are still working like a charm! Check out Cassie’s Free E-book and shop Shoppers Drug Mart like a pro!
Guest Post By: Cassie Howard is a work at home mom living in Vaughan, Ontario. She writes daily on her coupon blog, MrsJanuary.com a website dedicated to frugal living. She’s what many would call an extreme couponer and saves an average of 50% off her grocery bill every week. You can connect with Cassie on Facebook and Twitter.

ur welcome

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

I have absolutely awful credit and nobody will ever loan us money again in my entire life, it sucks but i have figured out how to get by

are you making a lot more money than you did in arkansas?

because they'll overlook a lot once you're making stacks and paying your bills on time for a year or so

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah if your credit is thrashed and you can't do it until you're in your fifties then don't buy another house unless you're paying cash, imho

are you going to profit at all when you sell your current house?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

creeping-quality-of-life syndrome

and yeah this is my life right now, mostly from eating out but also buying poo poo for the house (carlin was right)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that's not too bad, at least you're not totally underwater

if the market tanks where i live i'm so hosed, i paid 460k with 90k down

i really ought to consider renting out the basement

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

i.....i think we're from different worlds

thats cool tho

half of my childhood was spent in trailer parks in rural alberta and bc but i get what you mean :shobon:

reminder to all that the 90k is composed of:
- bonuses i got so i wouldn't quit current job
- double income no kids (wife makes like 1/3 of what i make but still, it's 100% savings)
- approx 9 years of savings
- cashing out our rrsps (first time homebuyer can cash out rrsp, which is a tax deferral investment plan in canada)
- cashing out our tax-free savings accounts

also this was our first house and i'm 34 and i've been working since i was 21 as a programmer

i full expect to take a 10 to 30k/ year paycut when i find $NEWJOB after i get laid off at end of the year too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Werthog 95 posted:

if i could do this i would have a house and no retirement savings by now, lol

current rrsp balances

wife: $215.76
me: $682.27

that'll buy us a lot of cat food when we retire i guess lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

the 90k is fine whatever, a ridiculous sum but doable, the 460k is what gets me

no man needs a half million dollar house i'm sorry to get judgey on you and i'm sure you're in like van or sf and have some weirdo housing market but i have a guttural response to numbers like that that i cannot easily suppress. like, how do you start talking about four hundred thousand dollar houses, whats the icebreaker there

BUt maybe after a year or two after this depression starts to clear i'll feel differently. SORRY NOT TRYING TO E/N AROUND HERE

lol no i'm in ontario, the market here is crazy as gently caress

if i bought in toronto this house would have cost me 1.2 million, no joke

the absolute cheapest houses in my city (hamilton) that aren't surrounded by literal crackdens, two blocks from an oil refinery, or in a suburban wasteland with no sidewalks start at 250k

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

owns

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the 2 bedroom condos in my former neighbourhood in toronto were going for 600k and up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i watched a few episodes of that extreme couponing show on tlc that poo poo is insane

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
didn't they actually clone chip cards already?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
chip and pin is almost 100% in canada now i think

i get mad when i can't tap to pay now, all grumping up the joint

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sniep posted:

speaking of credit poo poo

i know credit karma is fake and doesnt really represent anything, but why does it say i should have like 50 cards. i get like a F for number of accounts cuz i only? have like 10 total accounts or something. idgi.

why on earth is it trying to get people to open up a poo poo ton of accounts? i mean my credit utilization is like 10-15% which is apparently where it should be, *shrugs*

just a guess but do they make money giving you referrals to apply for new credit cards?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

there is literally no financial reason to use a debit card instead of a credit card

lack of impulse control, but otherwise, ya

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
actually op my credit card is a piece of plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006