Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm cheering for the Dai Oni! I hope he gets to kill a few horrors before he suffers an honorable death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

quote:

outside of troops hiding inside a fortress(the insides of which horrors cannot reach, for Balance Reasons)
Can someone expand on this? Are mages casting from inside a fort immune to Astral Corruption then?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Xenoborg posted:

Can someone expand on this? Are mages casting from inside a fort immune to Astral Corruption then?

No, just Sent horrors. Whom like all non-assassin remote-attack spells will attack the outside of the fort.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Drown the world in horrors! What could go wrong.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Astral Corruption + Send Horror spam is arguably the best endgame in Dom4. Nothing can reliably fight Doom Horrors and expect to live, I honestly don't know if there's anything a non blood\astral nation can do once Astral corruption and Send Horror come into play to not lose as by that point armies of pretty much any size are easy to utterly annihilate with Doom Horrors.

I think unless you can somehow cripple the horror sender's blood economy or snipe their horror sending mages or dispel Astral Corruption you just lose.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Send Horror is not an easy spell to cast. To be able to throw it around like this requires significant resource investment, but simplifies your lategame time investment greatly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Astral Corruption + Send Horror spam is arguably the best endgame in Dom4.

If it's the best endgame, maybe we are in a similar situation with BoT: it comes too early. Why is Blood 7 and not 8 or 9? It doesn't make sense to me that AC is B7 research and summoning 10 demon knights is B9 research.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Isn't there anything one can do to stop the unholy tidal wave of astral horrors? Like Banishing them or whatever?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nothing works reliably on Doom Horrors.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Samuel posted:

Isn't there anything one can do to stop the unholy tidal wave of astral horrors? Like Banishing them or whatever?

Don't let anyone get big enough to hit you with a tide of them, mostly.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

If it's the best endgame, maybe we are in a similar situation with BoT: it comes too early. Why is Blood 7 and not 8 or 9? It doesn't make sense to me that AC is B7 research and summoning 10 demon knights is B9 research.

The problem is that you get doom horrors with AC up. There is no appropriate research level for "send doom horror", to kill even one you need powerful units and a fair bit of luck. AC on it's own is fine. It isn't a good endgame because it comes online quickly, it's a good endgame because it shuts down movement anywhere where the doom horrors are flying.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Probably the biggest problem with it is the counter to send horror spam is send horror spam.
Because then their mages are too busy fighting off doom horrors to send doom horrors your way.

Edit: or, ya know, domes. Preferably cast BEFORE AC comes up so your caster doesn't get their death warrant signed by casting a non-blood spell under AC

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Forces of Special Monsters is the most :3: way to describe what is happening to this horrible planet.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I don't get the lore here though, if there's literally poo poo that eats gods, heroes, civilizations. What was the Previous pantokrator doing? Was he asleep at the wheel for stuff like this to grow in the astral plane or something?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samuel posted:

I don't get the lore here though, if there's literally poo poo that eats gods, heroes, civilizations. What was the Previous pantokrator doing? Was he asleep at the wheel for stuff like this to grow in the astral plane or something?

You're making the mistake of thinking that the Pantokrator was in any way, shape, or form a responsible, conscientious being. He's really much more like old Zeus: Awesome power, but spent most of his time impregnating mortals and arguing with his wife.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the Dominions timeline is just and endless cycle of goongames, with millennial breaks in between so that something re-emerges to be destroyed again.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hey cut the Pantokrator some slack, you're allowed a few milennia vacation time after winning a succession war and subjugating all the peoples of the world.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Samuel posted:

Getting eaten by doom horrors, one supposes.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 55: Vanishing Girl

This is Ur's main army, minus their pretender, which has been laying siege to Ulm's capital.

Ur's best mages, and honestly some of my favourite mages in the game. Their entire army retreats turn 1, minus some skeletons who decide to stick around.

I'm not even sure what to write here. I just wiped out Nuclearmonkee's army without anything even remotely resembling a fight. I doubt that he'll be troubling us for much longer.

This is a nice throne, we took it from Abysia and sort of stole it under from Fomoria.

Abysia's final attempt to break free of us. I think these were all they had left, outside of their pretender, who is immobile and trapped within their capital. He won't be bothering us any longer either.

The front with Kailasa.

The trap I set for them last turn didn't work out as well as I'd have liked, but it'll have to do.

I'm sending horrors at the last of their forces in Khaz Dupar and Blue Moss Forest. He'll be out of our way entirely in a turn or two as well.

The front with Yomi. I destroyed quite a few of ilu xuande's toys this turn.

Ossory is that throne West of Yomi's capital. I wasn't sure if he had a fortress there since my scouting is so bad, so I threw a few horrors at it on a whim. None of his mages were scripted, so it was a bit of a mess for him.

As I've taken this turn, I've been told by Hinnom's player Absum, and Ur's player Nuclearmonkee, that they are both going AI. Additionally, Fomoria and Yomi are both staling, which is when a player does not take their turn, and the game goes on without them. ilu xuande has been sick for a few weeks now and as of posting this has quit playing entirely, and LordSloth is probably starting college or something. The game is just about over.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sullat posted:

Getting eaten by doom horrors, one supposes.

It's actually addressed in the victory text; there is something out in the universe that calls to all Pantokrators. Eventually the Pantokrator loses interest in the material world and goes off to find the thing, shortly after leaving the next Ascension War happens. (aka the game)

The thing that the Pantokrators go to may well in fact just be Umor with the Doom Horror equivalent of a fishing rod baited for gods.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I only played two MP games of Dom 3, and never saw Astral corruption but I don't recall doom horrors being remotely common effects from it. Does summon horror actually pull doom horrors now as a normal thing in Dom 4? Because it's kind of disgusting how many of them are popping up. I recall having to wish for them in Dom 3 and they wouldn't stick around for long...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How many thrones has the map, how many were the win condition and how many do you have already? I'm surprised you still don't have enough for the win.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Velius posted:

I only played two MP games of Dom 3, and never saw Astral corruption but I don't recall doom horrors being remotely common effects from it. Does summon horror actually pull doom horrors now as a normal thing in Dom 4? Because it's kind of disgusting how many of them are popping up. I recall having to wish for them in Dom 3 and they wouldn't stick around for long...

Send Horror normally has a very small chance to send a Doom Horror, but when AC is up the chance goes up to around 30%

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Doom horrors really aren't a big deal, at all. There has never been a game where I have won because astral corruption gives me some more doom horrors

Turn 56: Easy Easy

There goes all of Kailasa's army. He has told me that he's going AI this turn.

Just Fomoria and Yomi left, both of whom staled last turn. As of writing this, it looks like ilu will be staling again, although Fomoria has taken this turn and is planning to attack me, possibly?

I'm planning on taking everything outside of Yomi's fortresses, and then just destroying everything that walks out of them by cutting off their retreats.

Most of Fomoria's forces seem to be concentrated on their lovely little island, although they probably have quite a few things in the water too. At this point I don't have to do anything but reactively nuke them with horrors, I don't need their throne.

I've made too many things! I didn't even know you could overflow your magic item treasury, when your mages are forging items and there isnt enough space for them they just disappear forever. So we lost a bunch of stuff but that's okay.

I've also started summoning a few of these guys. Worm Mages are absolutely incredible. They're immortal, are constantly surrounded by swarms of bugs(much like the spell swarm), and every time they're killed in battle, there's a 75% chance they'll immediately respawn somewhere else on the battlefield. All that, for just 30 nature gems. Sadly, every time I've gotten to the point of summoning them, the game has already been won.

It's almost over.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I forget, does the Maker of Ruin's "kill 800 pop, raise unrest by 40 per turn, smash the gently caress outta their fort" effect happen when it gets summoned via Send Horror, or only when it shows up on the map somehow? Because that could be pretty obnoxious if it hits on someone's capital.

Also, I like how all the other Doom Horrors are some sort of nightmare abomination, and Maker of Ruin's just straight up a woodlouse kaiju.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

garth ferengi posted:

I'm not even sure what to write here. I just wiped out Nuclearmonkee's army without anything even remotely resembling a fight. I doubt that he'll be troubling us for much longer.

So uh IMHO this is more impressive and interesting than the turkey mage thing, and probably one of the coolest maneuvers you'll see in a Dom LP, especially since it was based on knowing Nuclearmonkee's way of fighting.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tulip posted:

So uh IMHO this is more impressive and interesting than the turkey mage thing, and probably one of the coolest maneuvers you'll see in a Dom LP, especially since it was based on knowing Nuclearmonkee's way of fighting.

Could you expand on this a bit more? It's not really clear to me why this was impressive.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Olesh posted:

Could you expand on this a bit more? It's not really clear to me why this was impressive.

Essentially Nuclearmonkee was trying to reduce his losses to horror spam by setting his good units to retreat instead of fighting. Modpud just sent horrors to all the provinces around Nuclearmonkee's army, so when he tried to retreat his units has nowhere to go and all died (in Dom4 you can only retreat to friendly territory). So she managed to destroy Nuclearmonkee's army without fighting, which, according to Sun Tzu, is supreme excellence.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
"Only when we cut off the enemy's line of retreat are we assured of great success in victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tulip posted:

What was the turkey mage thing?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Hmm, how feasible is casting horror mark yourself when dealing with send horror spam?

Can you cancel the eater of dreams by horror marking the hunter of horrors?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

What was the turkey mage thing?

Back during one of the Dom3 LPs, Lilli was playing as Mictlan. Mictlan have these non-priest mages (Nahualli, I think it was) which can shapeshift into the form of a turkey. IIRC, that gives them flight, which Lilli used to ambush an enemy Pretender with low Astral and Mind Duel them to death. It was pretty cool.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Caustic Soda posted:

Back during one of the Dom3 LPs, Lilli was playing as Mictlan. Mictlan have these non-priest mages (Nahualli, I think it was) which can shapeshift into the form of a turkey. IIRC, that gives them flight, which Lilli used to ambush an enemy Pretender with low Astral and Mind Duel them to death. It was pretty cool.

They also have two lives so they can use Magic Duel twice - if you lose, you die, so normally it's a riskier strategy. Having two lives doubles your attempts, basically.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

ianvincible posted:

Essentially Nuclearmonkee was trying to reduce his losses to horror spam by setting his good units to retreat instead of fighting. Modpud just sent horrors to all the provinces around Nuclearmonkee's army, so when he tried to retreat his units has nowhere to go and all died (in Dom4 you can only retreat to friendly territory). So she managed to destroy Nuclearmonkee's army without fighting, which, according to Sun Tzu, is supreme excellence.

That is really impressive. I saw that they died cut off from retreat but as a non doms player I missed that they were set to retreat in anticipation. Is horror spam the new end-game alternative to using SCs/spamming tarts to take out huge armies, or has this always been possible and this is just an instance of someone running away with the game however they feel like at this point?

Also are there ever games that end without the world turned into a complete nightmare? It'd be an interesting if players were ranked or there was fluff text at the end stating how personally responsible the new pantokrator was for loving this gay earth as an incentive to limit players in the lead from dropping globals that turn the entire atmosphere into demon farts or whatever but knowing goons it would probably only lead to more of it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Caustic Soda posted:

Ohh! I know Nahuallis, and I asked myself previously what the hell was the strategic value of transforming on a drat turkey. If at least it gave you some stealth I could see it as useful (and it should, militia shouldn't be on guard for turkeys!). But I ignored the obvious: move changes to flying-3.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What's the benefit of Enkidu shamen over Panii? The lack of slow-to-recruit and the recruit-outside-forts thing, or is there something else I'm missing?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Obliterati posted:

They also have two lives so they can use Magic Duel twice - if you lose, you die, so normally it's a riskier strategy. Having two lives doubles your attempts, basically.

Right. I couldn't remember clearly whether that was the case, so I left that out of the telling.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

What's the benefit of Enkidu shamen over Panii? The lack of slow-to-recruit and the recruit-outside-forts thing, or is there something else I'm missing?

It's the foreign recruit thing. They are also StR.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

scalded schlong posted:

They're 50g cheaper apiece and only need a lab to recruit, which also saves you money. They also have better E access for combat with a fair chance of getting N4s anyway in case you wanted to access globals.

Edit: This is compared to the EA Pans

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I'm really glad that SOMEONE at least thinks the way I wiped out nuclearmonkee's army was cool

Turns 57 & 58: Nothing Natural

I forgot that I was even casting this

Eyes of God is an immensely powerful global. It lets you see the ownership, dominion candles, income, magic sites, etc of the entire world, and lets you see all of the score graphs as well. Even if it's only up for a single turn(and honestly it's not even worth dispelling because that single turn is such a big deal) it gives you a massive wealth of information.

Let's just go through the graphs. In one thousand and eighty peas of high definition. I'm really just desperately trying to find SOME content because the game is over at this point

Province count. Pretty self explanatory, although you can see there's at least a year long period during which Abysia's province count does not move.

Forts! Also extremely self explanatory.

Income. My favourite graph. Even with our incredibly bad income scales, we were pretty competitive as soon as Pangaea fell apart.

Gem income! This is a really sad graph.

Research! Also a sad graph. Good to know how great ilu's research was though.

Our total dominion candles throughout the world! Nobody wants to believe in the other, falser pretenders.

skeletons dot pee en gee

Another gigantic map! Everything I have up north is converging on Hinnom's throne, which I should be able to have taken and claimed in 5 turns at most. It's the only throne I need to actually take with force to win at this point, I'm working on claiming all the other we control.

ilu xuande is going AI. He's been unable to play for quite some time. It's just LordSloth and I left, and he doesn't seem to be super interested in doing anything outside of passively sitting back and letting me claim thrones to win. I'm not super interested in him doing anything outside of that either.

:effort:

Turn 58

The AI is really just trying to gently caress with me at this point. That global killed a Mandeha across the loving world from Yomi, which is going to make it take at least one additional turn for me to win.

It only took down Eyes of God, at least.

:effort:

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 8, 2014

• Locked thread