Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

It's one of like two multiplayer video games that I like and you should probably buy it

Tempt me not, foul pretender god of the monkey people. :devil:

It has made it to my Steam shopping cart but there it has to stay for another day or so while I stay on budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What are the main diferences between this and 3? Besides the "recruit forever" thing, AFAIK, there are new slow to recruit mages and the gengems now give gems in battle only.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hard to sum up every single way it's different because a lot has to do with overall balance and the meta in general. basically, reverse communions no longer exist, the days of 'everyone gears up a supercombatant and rams them into each other's' are over with, thugs and actual troops are more important because of that, there's no more tax fuckery on provinces, etc. etc.

the way the game is played in the dom3 lps probably won't fly anymore. like, supercombatants aren't useless, but you can't just rely on them for everything. not to mention that there's all the nations in dom4 that weren't in 3. i'm probably missing a fair chunk of the finer details but that's a really basic overview.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fat Samurai posted:

What are the main diferences between this and 3? Besides the "recruit forever" thing, AFAIK, there are new slow to recruit mages and the gengems now give gems in battle only.

I believe there is a summary list in the official Dom4 thread and it is explained in more detail in the manual modpud linked.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Fat Samurai posted:

There's a bunch of new nations and mod commands and also the ui got a lot better, there's keyboard shortcuts for poo poo like dumping/retrieving blood slaves and stuff. There's also a sort of janky team mode, and the thrones are cool. There's also really cool optional story events like "the world gets invaded by demons"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i keep forgetting that thrones are a new thing. games don't stretch out to unbearable slogs anymore because of them, thankfully. also, disciples mode is interesting if nothing else, and it'd be cool to see an lp for that sometime.

ban dragons.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
e^^^^ Its a pity that MadPantheon died the way it did because if nothing else team dragonforces story would have been great reading.

Fat Samurai posted:

People have already said the other things but the main reason is that everyone will play dom4 now not 3 for multiplayer and 4 is going to be the one that receives all the mod and patch attention from now on.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 18, 2014

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

jsoh posted:

There's a bunch of new nations and mod commands and also the ui got a lot better, there's keyboard shortcuts for poo poo like dumping/retrieving blood slaves and stuff. There's also a sort of janky team mode, and the thrones are cool. There's also really cool optional story events like "the world gets invaded by demons"

"The world gets invaded by demons" story event is absolutely hilarious. You start to see one gate to hell open and pretty soon the whole world is hosed as your armies are equipped to fight other players' armies, not fight the hordes of demons and mages from hell.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gaghskull posted:

"The world gets invaded by demons" story event is absolutely hilarious. You start to see one gate to hell open and pretty soon the whole world is hosed as your armies are equipped to fight other players' armies, not fight the hordes of demons and mages from hell.

This is why you site search all provinces to blood 4; gotta find all 3 gates to trigger hell's invasion.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey modpud have you done any lets plays that cover more of the basics and intricacies of the game for people who may or may not have given in and purchased something from the steam store?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Neruz posted:

This is why you site search all provinces to blood 4; gotta find all 3 gates to trigger hell's invasion.

From my experience, you don't have to find them all. You find one, then the rest start opening up even if you didn't want them to.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is that Gates of Hell thing something that happens during multiplayer games? I can see it getting annoying if it does.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Lord Windy posted:

Is that Gates of Hell thing something that happens during multiplayer games? I can see it getting annoying if it does.

its actually really good and cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

I was here thinking... "what do you mean, invaded by demons. Given your usual Dom nations and used spells, the Dom world "normal life" has already plenty of demons and weird poo poo."

Lord Windy posted:

Story events are optional.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
All the multiplayer games I've been in so far have kept story events on. That said I don't think it's guaranteed all the gates will be present, and you have to find all 3 to trigger the event, which is fairly unlikely considering they could be scattered across the whole map and that you need a blood 4 mage. It might happen but only in the late game at which point it will be an entertaining and lively diversion from blood hunter micro.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Hey modpud have you done any lets plays that cover more of the basics and intricacies of the game for people who may or may not have given in and purchased something from the steam store?

Nope! I don't know how to play this game either!

I'm out of town for most of the week so if no updates get posted that will be why

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gridlocked posted:

There have been several LPs for Dominions 3 which is close enough to its sequel that their advice still applies. The one I used to learn the game was Lilli's which covers a ton of the basics. It also has the advantage of showing the perspective of every player in the game so you can learn a bunch about why people made certain decisions.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

its actually really good and cool.

I had storm demons sieging my cap by Y2 in a blitz we played a while back that had the event pop. A++ would be sieged again.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

AXE COP posted:

There have been several LPs for Dominions 3 which is close enough to its sequel that their advice still applies. The one I used to learn the game was Lilli's which covers a ton of the basics. It also has the advantage of showing the perspective of every player in the game so you can learn a bunch about why people made certain decisions.

I, too, used the LPs to learn how to play. Lilli's in particular (especially the Sauromatia part, as that was what I picked for my first game). Again, as mentioned, a lot of details have changed and certain particular strategies (especially late game ones) won't really work anymore.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AXE COP posted:

All the multiplayer games I've been in so far have kept story events on. That said I don't think it's guaranteed all the gates will be present, and you have to find all 3 to trigger the event, which is fairly unlikely considering they could be scattered across the whole map and that you need a blood 4 mage. It might happen but only in the late game at which point it will be an entertaining and lively diversion from blood hunter micro.

I don't know if all 3 have to be found, at least one of the gates needs to be found I know for sure. Also note that if it is all 3 it doesn't have to be one player that finds them; three different players can each find one of the three gates and that will still allow Hell's Invasion to trigger.

It usually happens fairly late, if it all. But like everything in Dom4 there is an element of randomness so if you get unlucky you might just get murdered by demons.
I'm also not 100% sure how unique sites work and if all unique sites are always guaranteed to generate or if they're purely random like non unique sites.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

in one of my games I had the necromancer's tower appear but I bugged it and made it continue forever by killing the necromancer too early I guess? and now I get an invasion event every few turns in adjacent provinces where an army of wights and junk attacks and depopulates the province :cool:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flavahbeast posted:

in one of my games I had the necromancer's tower appear but I bugged it and made it continue forever by killing the necromancer too early I guess? and now I get an invasion event every few turns in adjacent provinces where an army of wights and junk attacks and depopulates the province :cool:

No that just happens sometimes, its like the Mist Covered Highlands chain; sometimes it bugs out and just generates 1 Illusionst's Tower site every turn for the rest of the game.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 11: Field Work

None of these battles are even remotely notable, honestly.

These are longdead horsemen. They're resistance to piercing weapons like most longdead, have a decent amount of defence skill due to being mounted, and have lances, which hit very hard with their first attack. Some nations can reanimate longdead horsemen, and mass the units that can do it to have a massive block of longdead horsemen to smash someone's flank is a very viable and sort of terrifying strategy.

Say hello to our new prophet! I forgot to rename him, so honestly I'm hoping that he finds some way to die early like his predecessor, since you can't rename prophets.

We spied upon something interesting this turn...

White centaurs are pretty terrifying. They're about as expensive as our Palankasha but better in just about every way, especially with that bless! That bless is a little strange, by the way. It's water 9, death 9, astral 4. Water 9 is a pretty typical pick, but the last two are a little... confusing. Death weapons add a tiny bit of extra oomph to their hits, it's not really a big deal but it's there. Definitely not worth putting 9 points into death though. Additionally, white centaur are berserkers, which means that once they get wounded they'll start hitting even harder and won't rout or have any trouble hitting something with awe, because going berserk gives a unit 99 morale.

We've spotted 2 new players this turn! Kitfox is the firey red flag on the throne to the west, he's playing Abysia.

He's also probably the weakest player in this game, content to turtle up and shuffle infantry stacks around while the entire world falls apart around him.

To the east with the blueish flag is Ulm, literally riddle-of-steel conans, played by flavahbeast.

I've never been in a game with flavahbeast before, and know very little about him except that people love to circle jerk about how good he is or whatever.

This is the last turn we get our mercenaries, so I'm throwing them at a stack of undead that might annihilate them. If they win, we get a province(one that I already promised to Niefelheim, but I can always tell him to gently caress off), if they lose, they all die and no one else can have them.

This is a little worrying. I don't think we can beat Pangaea's Centaurs right now, we'll have to rely on the support of Yomi and Mictlan if he attacks. I'm moving the entirety of our army so that they're in a position to react to an attack, which I feel is pretty likely. I'm not sure if our entire army can beat what seems to be the majority of theirs, but we don't really have a choice. I don't bother recruiting any Palankasha this turn, instead opting to build a palisade and lab in Gwyrth. If we're moving our units there for nothing, they can at least research if I can't find anything better for them to do, and I need more palisades as quickly as possible. We've also been recruiting quite a few bandar archers these past turns, and I feel that they may be our best bet against the centaur, assuming the rest of our troops can survive against them long enough.

We've gotten a huge amount of money from income events this year due to taking luck, death, and turmoil, more than what we've lost by not taking order and growth. I don't expect that luck to hold past this year, but if we get into a war with Pangaea and win it will be due purely to that sweet sweet trust fund event gold.

I'd like to point out that almost all of Pangaea's troops are stealthy and normally wouldn't appear on the map, so if he wanted to he could've attacked us completely without warning and we would've lost probably more than half our provinces before being able to mass troops to fight back.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

I've never been in a game with flavahbeast before, and know very little about him except that people love to circle jerk about how good he is or whatever.

Yeah that's really fun to do.

Problem is it's true.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That's a nice dick hidden behind Abysia's description there modpud.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jon Joe posted:

Yeah that's really fun to do.

Problem is it's true.

I'm glad he's playing Ulm because every LP I've seen them in they got their asses kicked before they could really do anything and they're so cool, Flavah can bring the goods, maybe :unsmith:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I went W9D9 because I felt like trying out the upgraded mother of monsters. Not exactly an optimal build.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

That's a nice dick hidden behind Abysia's description there modpud.

In the land of fire, only way to get cooler is take off all your clothes.

Then shave off all your hair.

Then selfie that poo poo in a shower. You'll be cool in no time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i came for the potential dick pics and i was not disappointed, to be honest

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Ah, EA Ulm.

They have a couple of things going for them, and I am highly interested to see where Flavah takes them.
EA Ulm has some very considerable stealth capacity, which is pretty drat great if you know what to do with it.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Sure is a lot of vulgar posting going on in this thread. Jesus would not be proud

Turn 12: The Changing Lights

It's now Spring, year 2!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Okay. I have no idea what is going on if Pangaea isn't attacking us. Maybe they were just being overcautious? Hopefully he didn't realise his troops can sneak and isn't having them sneak in so he can take every single province we own all at once without us being able to stop him. That would suck, and I'm massing most of our troops just in case.

A fine outcome, honestly.

This is not okay, I took luck so that things like this wouldn't happen!! This event happens regardless of your scales, and there isn't even a battle or anything you can do to stop it besides stationing troops in the province. You just flat out lose it.

This is the first time I've actually taken a screenshot of an event happening, until I actually made this thread(on turn 25) it never really occurred to me that I should be taking screenshots of all the minor neat things that might happen, because I'm a loving idiot and the worst lettuce play superstar on this subforum. As I've said before we've been getting incredibly lucky with events, ilu xuande however has not been so fortunate. He's lost 3 provinces, and hasn't gotten a single even that has given him gold.

Oh, and if you're wondering when I'm writing these updates, it's a combination of several days after the turn originally happened, while I was taking the turn, and just before actually posting.

Since Pangaea might not be attacking us this turn, I'm sending several forces out from our pile of troops at Ironwood Forest to capture all of the indie provinces we have left before we mess with our thrones.

We still haven't found Pangaea's capital, it has to be west of our scouts. There's a new flag sitting on that throne Abysia held as of last turn, I wonder what's up with that?

Fomoria is easily one of the strongest nations in EA. They've got fantastic national troops(including some of the best, most cost effective non sacred infantry in the game), fantastic mages and magic access(air and death are both VERY powerful, and they have much better access to them than we do), an extremely powerful summon that they hopefully won't be using, amphibious giants, and sailing(which lets units move across water, giving them a massive movement boost along coasts in addition to just flat out being able to go from one side of the map to the other).

Fomoria is played by LordSloth, who isn't an especially good player as far as I know but is definitely better than Kitsune Foxfur Heil Hitler. That someone who isn't me is killing him makes me sad, and a little mad. Fomoria is going to have to go. We're on track for taking that throne next to our capital in 4 turns again.

Right now we have 17 provinces. We'd have 18 if we hadn't lost one due to an event, and 19 if I hadn't been so cautious last turn. It's a decent enough amount, anything above 15 being not completely terrible, but most of them are rather poor, so we're not making as much money from them as I would like to. Events so far have more than made up for that, though. That's the one nice part about having a turmoil/luck build; no matter how poor or low a population a province has, it generates events just as well as even the richest province. Hopefully by the time we take this throne Pangaea will be embroiled in war with Mictlan and ilu xuande will be ready to invade Pangaea with me.

Absum
May 28, 2013

There are only 15 provinces per player on most of the games we host so actually having 17 land provinces by year one is real good unless you went for some super earlygame build.

I mean please understand some idiots like me expand with just their armies which if unlucky can mean you get only 12 provinces at this point. In fact people with awake gods should have ~20 provinces at this point which means that anyone without an awake or real good bless should have <15.

Or maybe I'm just poo poo who knows.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I ended year 1 in a game fairly recently with 30 provinces, so YMMV

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

I ended year 1 in a game fairly recently with 30 provinces, so YMMV
How many provinces were set per player, because holy lol if this was against serious opposition.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Its possible, in a awesomegods game I managed to get 27 provinces in year 1 due to being in them middle of map and having a god that freespawned expatiation parties.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

It was an awesomeish game but I could've done the exact same thing in vanilla with a dragon, and with better scales

Turn 13: No Matter What You're Told

Okay, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this map. We can see Abysia's capital, and this has made me realise that I've mixed up Abysia and Hinnom's flags! Hinnom is the tan with red borders, while Abysia's is pure red, as you can see.

Jewish giants that eat people. They're fairly powerful, and their most powerful giants actually kill off large amounts of the population every turn. 4 nations packed into this close space, I wonder where everyone else's capitals are?

Ulm is also probably quite large, based on what our scout has seen so far. The currently selected province down in the lower left hand corner is where I think Pangaea's capital must be, he's about as large as us. He's also just finished a fortress in that lizard man province, which was probably why had his troops loitering there. Hopefully he doesn't sneak attack us next turn.

Mictlan has a very large army moving towards Pangaea now though, too. Hopefully they're not actually there to attack us.

A pretty big stomp, of course. This was our only battle this turn, next turn we should be taking 3 provinces.

We've finished our 3rd fort! We can only really afford Raktapata right now, with a few independent priests to reanimate longdead in our capital and the occasional Raksharaja and Palankasha.

I was curious at the lack of unit sprites on the throne between us and Niefelheim, and...

I THINK Niefelheim tried to take it last turn? Because I'm a loving idiot, I didn't have a scout sitting there to spy on any attempts on it they might have made. I'm sending the commander who just finished our shiny new palisade there to launch a one man suicide assault just to confirm that there are very few troops there, while our Pretender makes her way down with a small army in tow. This will delay our assault on The Rusty Badlands by a turn, but it's worth it.

We've finished research on Conjuration 2 this turn, which will allow us to summon some decent chaff units that I'll show off next turn. They're not super useful, but we need everything we can get right now.

These last few turns have been pretty uneventful, hopefully more things will be happening later. 2 more turns and then we'll have our 4th fort, hopefully Pangaea doesn't attack it before then. It certainly isn't particularly well defended.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh dear attacking an Annunaki of the Sky throne, this has the potential to go horribly wrong.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

garth ferengi posted:

Turn 13: No Matter What You're Told

why does fomoria have the throne adjacent to abysia's cap without owning any nearby provinces, what happened there

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

why does fomoria have the throne adjacent to abysia's cap without owning any nearby provinces, what happened there

My guess would be scout attacking a province without PD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

My guess would be scout attacking a province without PD

A kitfox province without PD you say.

• Locked thread