Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

This came up in QCS and I figure it is worth making a thread here, feel free to close or gas or move to BYOB or whatever if you don't like it but I think it would be cool to talk about how people feel about one GDT vs GDTs for each game for the morning/afternoon games again.

I personally think it would be really cool to have separate threads, because it's impossible to post about and pay attention to one game when you have to scroll past several pages whenever something cool or funny happens in another game and there's two pages of people spamming lol or the andy dalton james bond gif, and then another half a page of people who aren't watching asking what the bengals did. I also get that this doesn't work for everyone, especially people watching red zone, which is why I want to talk about it!

So post about what you think about GDTs. Or don't I guess. As long as we can still post about duck rape I'm cool with anything

e: i don't have any opinion about the college threads because i dont post there but if you do talk about that too! just loving post!!!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I wouldn't be opposed to having separate GDTs. Maybe we could do it by conference?

MV, like I said over there, this is not about bringing back certain threads that y'all don't want brought back, it really is about splitting up the GDTs into something readable.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I supported this idea in the QCS thread, just posting to support it here too. I like the idea for both NFL and CFB games. For college games, it would be a little trickier but I bet it would work if you split the GDTs by conference.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I really like this idea and think it is absolutely worth a shot. Maybe we could also have a redzone thread as well since redzone is really popular and it would be a cool way to check in and see if another game is better.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Also maybe there could be a general CFB GDT chat thread in addition to the conference threads since there's bound to be some people that want to talk about mid-major games or stuff like that.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I also think this would help with what that time we tried the effortposting gdt was trying to accomplish, because if you want to post something serious about your team's defensive scheme or whatever you're surrounded by other people who are also watching the game and have an idea of what you're talking about that are now way more likely to see the effortpost.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sounds like a bad idea since the only threads that really run too fast to follow are the 1PM NFL threads and that's just the price of admission. I like hearing about funny things happening in the games I'm not watching.

Leave things as they are.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sounds like a bad idea since the only threads that really run too fast to follow are the 1PM NFL threads and that's just the price of admission. I like hearing about funny things happening in the games I'm not watching.

Chichevache posted:

Maybe we could also have a redzone thread as well since redzone is really popular and it would be a cool way to check in and see if another game is better.

Why not just read your thread and the redzone thread and there you go now you can hear about the cool stuff.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Thread for each separate (NFL) game, and a redzone one is a good idea. Would be optimal. No reason not to have multiple threads. Could even have them open beforehand to talk about matchups and stuff. Too much clutter all confined to one thread as is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

Thread for each separate (NFL) game, and a redzone one is a good idea. Would be optimal. No reason not to have multiple threads. Could even have them open beforehand to talk about matchups and stuff. Too much clutter all confined to one thread as is.

Having them open beforehand is a good idea that hasn't been introduced yet. I remember a year or two ago someone posted an effort thread the day before and he got run out of the forum over it, which seems really dumb in retrospect. Lately we've been pretty good about having more than just 3 or 4 dedicated NFL threads and I don't see any good reason (now that forums bandwith isn't an excuse) not to have more threads open longer. It would really be cool to talk about the matchup between individual players in a particular game, which would be really difficult to do in a catch all thread discussing up to 16 different games at a time.

edit
VVVVV
The Redzone thread could cover that, I think.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

It's a mixed thing to me. When there's a real good game on the clutter sometimes sucks but sometimes if the game I'm watching sucks it's cool to see the other posts in the GDT to gauge if another game is worth watching.

Then again it's not that hard to just go into another thread.

It's worth trying out and I wouldn't mind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Only if team bandwagon threads are brought back.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Can't hurt to come up with the most popular structures suggested in this thread and try them Week 1, then another Week 2 if it isn't popular, etc.

Separate for each game might be a bit spread out, but it would be better than the 10 pages a minute the threads can get up to currently.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I think this would actually help the best with the second group of games, as someone who routinely ends up with whatever stupid game the Raiders or Chargers are playing then instead of the marquee matchup that the rest of the country is watching, because it's actually 100% impossible to talk about that game when 95% of the thread is watching something else. It's like trying to livepost baseball in a football thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it's better to have one thread that goes a bit too fast than to have a bunch of really slow moving threads. The gameday threads are basically the NCAA version of Redzone, there's always so much going on it's good to see what's generating buzz.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think it's better to have one thread that goes a bit too fast than to have a bunch of really slow moving threads. The gameday threads are basically the NCAA version of Redzone, there's always so much going on it's good to see what's generating buzz.

Redzone thread

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Maybe separate it out by conference (by home team). It'll halve the clutter and its only 2 threads to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah I like the college one the way it is now for more or less this exact reason. It's not as crazy fast as the NFL one so I don't think the issues you get there really apply.

I'm not opposed to splitting up the NFL one, I don't know where EBG got that idea. We've had this exact thread to figure out how to do it before and never came up with a good solution. I'm open to trying conference, but then the people who watch on redzone or whatever get mad.

Doing one for each game seems like a bad idea.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 9, 2014

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

A lot of times posts don't have anything in them that would indicate what game they're referring to. It'd be good to give splitting up NFL GDTs a try.

Hostile Rabbi fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 9, 2014

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah I like the college one the way it is now. It's not as crazy fast as the NFL one.

I'm not opposed to splitting up the NFL one, I don't know where EBG got that idea. We've had this exact thread to figure out how to do it before and never came up with a good solution. I'm open to trying conference, but then the people who watch on redzone or whatever get mad.

I don't think I said you were! I couldn't remember which mod was opposed so I said "mods/former mods."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Why?

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
I'm against it, too many threads could collapse the forum, we'd need to add more load bearing threads.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Because there are a lot of games that only like two people watch, which is kinda pointless and eliminates most of the fun in a GDT. It also needlessly balkanizes the discussion. Not everyone is watching just their team. It's nice to know "oh poo poo, it sounds like this game is getting really good, I should flip over", or to get an idea of what is going on and seeing how people react to it without trying to follow 8 different threads.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

They could end up moving a bit slow is my guess. Even though they move fast I do like a shitload of people just hanging out and dicking around in a thread. We could try baby steps and do it by conferences and see if we want to take it another step further after that?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You're welcome to try conferences. The only issue that I can recall is that a lot of people exclusively watch redzone and didn't want it.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

That's poorshaming

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Because there are a lot of games that only like two people watch, which is kinda pointless and eliminates most of the fun in a GDT. It also needlessly balkanizes the discussion. Not everyone is watching just their team. It's nice to know "oh poo poo, it sounds like this game is getting really good, I should flip over", or to get an idea of what is going on and seeing how people react to it without trying to follow 8 different threads.

That's why a Redzone thread could be helpful. It allows for general discussion and a quick place to check reactions while still allowing for a detailed discussion in the individual game thread. There are still posters who exclusively watch Redzone so I'm sure that will be populated.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Have a separate GDT for games that likely have a lot of posters attached (Broncos vs Patriots) and have a general GDT for the more pedestrian matchups.

Make a general GDT and let people make game-specific GDTs if they want to on their own. If the specific GDT takes off then fine, if it dies off then discussion can continue in the general GDT.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MourningView posted:

Even if some Jaguars Texans game gets 4 posts total what is bad about that? I bet there are more people who avoid GDTs all together, anyway a catchall redzone thread could cover that other stuff.

You could leave them open after the game for people to post about the aftermath etc. it would be a much better way to follow things. The TV:IV style posting has little value especially now that twitter does that better, with less traffic it would be more of a discussion.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

That's why a Redzone thread could be helpful. It allows for general discussion and a quick place to check reactions while still allowing for a detailed discussion in the individual game thread. There are still posters who exclusively watch Redzone so I'm sure that will be populated.

The games that only 3-4 people are watching would still have almost no one in them and lack the atmosphere that makes GDTs a thing people like. Same for a redzone thread probably. There are a healthy number of people who just watch that, but it's probably still a minority. I think they like having the people who are watching the games separately around so they can talk about what they're seeing with them and react along. At least I do when I watch Redzone.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Frackie Robinson posted:

MourningView posted:

basically my feelings, i feel like I'd miss a lot of good stuff in games i'd otherwise never be watching if they were separate threads

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I think if the solution is conference threads (though I think the more natural split might be by TV network) a red zone thread isn't needed, it's not really that hard to have two threads open and post HOLY poo poo in the AFC thread when AJ Green makes a sick catch and then switch to the NFC thread to post LOLOLOL when romo gets picked

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MourningView posted:

The games that only 3-4 people are watching would still have almost no one in them and lack the atmosphere that makes GDTs a thing people like. Same for a redzone thread probably. There are a healthy number of people who just watch that, but it's probably still a minority. I think they like having the people who are watching the games separately around so they can talk about what they're seeing with them and react along. At least I do when I watch Redzone.

Yea that's why I'm conflicted. I can't pay attention to multiple games at once and when I watch one to see how Nick Foles is doing I'll miss some Ravens play. There are pros and cons. Sometimes I like having discussions about the game and being able to keep up, but I also like to post "So how's Foles doing?" and then getting 4-5 different people post their quick views on it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

wheez the roux posted:

basically my feelings, i feel like I'd miss a lot of good stuff in games i'd otherwise never be watching if they were separate threads

Then you could read a redzone thread to aid your channel surfing or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

African AIDS cum posted:

The TV:IV style posting has little value especially now that twitter does that better, with less traffic it would be more of a discussion.

That's the thing most people like about GDTs. There are aftermath threads and N/Vs and other places where people can make big detailed posts about the games, the GDTs have always been about those instant reactions. I don't want to do anything that seriously hurts that atmosphere, it's one of the most popular things in the forum.

African AIDS cum posted:

Even if some Jaguars Texans game gets 4 posts total what is bad about that?

It just seems pointless and not much fun to read/participate in.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MourningView posted:

That's the thing most people like about GDTs. There are aftermath threads and N/Vs and other places where people can make big detailed posts about the games, the GDTs have always been about those instant reactions. I don't want to do anything that seriously hurts that atmosphere, it's one of the most popular things in the forum.

It just seems pointless and not much fun to read/participate in.

You don't have to read every thread though. I'd read the seahawks thread, check some other teams threads to see how certain players are getting talked about, etc, but there is no value in the big GDT's its just a useless void the second the whistle blows.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Have a separate GDT for games that likely have a lot of posters attached (Broncos vs Patriots) and have a general GDT for the more pedestrian matchups.

Make a general GDT and let people make game-specific GDTs if they want to on their own. If the specific GDT takes off then fine, if it dies off then discussion can continue in the general GDT.

This is probably the actual best idea, make separate threads for the biggest games on each network and then another thread for the rest

e: I guess that's not really exactly what you said but gently caress it I like that idea now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

African AIDS cum posted:

there is no value in the big GDT's its just a useless void the second the whistle blows.

Lots and lots of people really like them.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

This is probably the actual best idea, make separate threads for the biggest games on each network and then another thread for the rest

e: I guess that's not really exactly what you said but gently caress it I like that idea now

Yeah I do like that suggestion, although I guess I don't know how you figure out which game gets its own thread.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

TRP managed to have a thread for each of the 32 teams in the world cup, some got a lot of posts, others only a few, but it didn't hurt anything, and a few random posters from Bosnia could post about their team or whatever. It was good. More threads = better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MourningView posted:

Lots and lots of people really like them.

Could be selection bias since anyone who doesn't like that format would not really read this forum anymore most likely. Anyway you could still do a big catchall GDT alongside separate ones and let people choose or hell, mix and match

• Locked thread