Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah I do like that suggestion, although I guess I don't know how you figure out which game gets its own thread.

Top announcer team or a quick glance at the coverage map, seems easy enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We had team threads before. They got really bad when their wasn't any big team news to talk about, and it killed the sense of community in the forum because people would just talk about their team and nothing else. There are lots of team specific forums out there. TFF is for the whole league.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Have a separate GDT for games that likely have a lot of posters attached (Broncos vs Patriots) and have a general GDT for the more pedestrian matchups.

Make a general GDT and let people make game-specific GDTs if they want to on their own. If the specific GDT takes off then fine, if it dies off then discussion can continue in the general GDT.

This is a pretty good place to start.

e: What's everyone's feelings on a chat thread? It was before my time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

MourningView posted:

We had team threads before. They got really bad when their wasn't any big team news to talk about, and it killed the sense of community in the forum because people would just talk about their team and nothing else. There are lots of team specific forums out there. TFF is for the whole league.

Who cares if people want to post about their own team though? What is wrong with that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

African AIDS cum posted:

Who cares if people want to post about their own team though? What is wrong with that

Because it turns one big community into a bunch of tiny little ones. Not even because that's the only thing everyone cares about or they wouldn't enjoy talking about other teams, but because it's hard to keep up with that many threads and people wind up staying in their team's thread rather than going through the effort to check out all the others. I think that's way less fun. It's more interesting when it's not just an echo chamber about that team and you get insight from fans of all the teams.

I am fairly certain there exist Seahwaks specific boards if that's the only thing you care about.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 9, 2014

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

How about baby steps? Conference threads? Then every once in a while us AFC badasses can hop on over and see how you NFC turds are doing.

Then if those work out and if there's a calling for more kinds of threads then we can try divisions again?

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2014

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Crossposting so as to avoid cluttering up QCS further when there's a handy thread here:

MourningView posted:

We did that last time. The N/Vs thread died and everyone just sat in their division thread.

And it wasn't that it was hard for me in particular to keep up with. It was hard for almost everyone, and so consequently almost no one did it. They stuck to one thread and we basically had 8 separate NFL forums for a season or so.

Perhaps the solution is allowing team-specific threads and having a general N/V. That way the N/V is bound to have a lot of discussion anyway since a lot of posters love to talk trash and about how teams/players impact each other and the league at large but for a poster who wants to talk specifically about their own team, there is also a place. And yes, I realize a lot of teams wouldn't get much discussion in their threads, but even if that's the case it might not be such a bad thing if the posts that ARE in it are interesting to those involved. You could sticky N/Vs and GDTs or something if you want them to not be lost in the sea of team-specific threads.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Because it turns one big community into a bunch of tiny little ones and I think that's way less fun. It's more interesting when it's not just an echo chamber about that team and you get insight from fans of all the teams.

I am fairly certain there exist Seahwaks specific boards if that's the only thing you care about.

You may think it is less fun but it seems like there are posters here who want to try it again, so maybe now is the time? If it fails miserably then you can close the threads.

And if an echo chamber is what you want to avoid than I have bad news about TFF

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

MourningView posted:

Because it turns one big community into a bunch of tiny little ones and I think that's way less fun. It's more interesting when it's not just an echo chamber about that team and you get insight from fans of all the teams.

Eh the division threads were a good follow and I used to read the NFC west one. But a single game thread would have fans from both teams in it anyway and would change each week. Would be good. Would probably read them after the fact if not following live. I'd still drop in wherever the Broncos fan post and say Manning has a noodle arm. Sounds boss.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Perhaps the solution is allowing team-specific threads and having a general N/V.

That's the same problem but with even more threads to keep track of! And we did that too. N/Vs died, just like with the division threads. And the team threads tended to be pretty bad a lot of the time.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Actually division threads just wouldn't be that good as i'd get pretty parched due to keeping up with all of the threads.
unless of course...there was this awesome kind of...dog or something that...refreshes...

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MourningView posted:

Because it turns one big community into a bunch of tiny little ones. Not even because that's the only thing everyone cares about or they wouldn't enjoy talking about other teams, but because it's hard to keep up with that many threads and people wind up staying in their team's thread rather than going through the effort to check out all the others. I think that's way less fun. It's more interesting when it's not just an echo chamber about that team and you get insight from fans of all the teams.

My problem with this lies in that going to an Eagles discussion board is loving awful. We like talking sports with non generic (read: nerdy) sports fans and I don't really see how having a place for both is so bad when posters are bound to interact via N/V + GDT + Threads for specific topics etc etc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

My problem with this lies in that going to an Eagles discussion board is loving awful. We like talking sports with non generic (read: nerdy) sports fans and I don't really see how having a place for both is so bad when posters are bound to interact via N/V + GDT + Threads for specific topics etc etc

They don't though. Like the thing you seem to be missing is that this isn't me talking hypothetically. We tried these things and they were not very good.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MourningView posted:

We did it before. N/Vs died, just like with the division threads.

I'm surprised this is the case. I at least want to talk about my own team sometimes and leaguewide stuff/other teams at other times and find it difficult to believe that other posters feel differently in general.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MourningView posted:

They don't though. Like the thing you seem to be missing is that this isn't me talking hypothetically. We tried these things and they were not very good.

Moods and outlooks can change. Why not giving a shot at conference threads and seeing how badly that affects N/V? And honestly if N/V dried up a tad that would make it easier to skim through thus making news and views pretty clutter-free.

Also it's late and there's not a lot of people to give their opinions on this so it's just us 4-5 hanging out.

sup guys

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm surprised this is the case. I at least want to talk about my own team sometimes and leaguewide stuff/other teams at other times and find it difficult to believe that other posters feel differently in general.

I'm just telling you what happened. Detailed discussion about any given team pretty much only went to that team's thread where most people missed it because it's hard to keep up with that many threads.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Perhaps the problem lies in that TFF isn't a large enough community to facilitate the perfect solution. The problem I and probably others run into a lot is the N/V threads get filled with 600 pages between my visits to them and I miss a lot of discussion I'd like to read about/be involved in as a result, often even after searching for it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Maybe things have changed and you're now talking to a different group of posters than the ones you addressed 4 (?) plus years ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

Maybe things have changed and you're now talking to a different group of posters than the ones you addressed 4 (?) plus years ago.

Right but the issue is mostly with the nature of the threads, not with specific posters. You're still winding up in a situation where all the news about a team winds will only getting posted in the thread about that team/division. Like if a thing happens with the Cowboys, and there is a Cowboys thread, people are just going to post it in there. Most of the forum won't see it because no one is going to follow all those threads, and subsequently only the people in those threads will be talking about it. And so instead of a big community you just have a super tiny Dallas Cowboys board.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 9, 2014

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I love the craziness of the early GDT, and getting to see the zeitgeist of people reacting to everything in real time. It's what turns football from a "Set DVR, take nap, catch up" solitary experience to one that feels active and engaging. Sure you don't get in-depth analysis, and no one's ever going to have an epiphany from a GDT conversation, but it's a unique setting and one that feels like, to me, more than the sum of its parts.

Splitting up conversations just means you have fewer people interacting, which is the reason why I like this place rather than a team fan site.

Plus, it's not THAT hard to at least put in a three letter code for whatever team you're posting :catstare: about.

Chichevache posted:

Didn't this exact thing come up just last year? Individuals come and go, but people behave the same over time. If you put a lot of people together you get better conversations than if you put that same number of people in four smaller groups. It's how humans interact and respond to each other.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MourningView posted:

Right but the issue is mostly with the nature of the threads, not with specific posters. You're still winding up in a situation where all the news about a team winds will only getting posted in the thread about that team/division. Like if a thing happens with the Cowboys, and their is a Cowboys thread, people are just going to post it in there. Most of the forum won't see it because no one is going to follow all those threads, and subsequently only the people in those threads will be talking about it. And so instead of a big community you just have a super tiny Dallas Cowboys board.

Encourage crossposting?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MourningView posted:

Right but the issue is mostly with the nature of the threads, not with specific posters. You're still winding up in a situation where all the news about a team winds will only getting posted in the thread about that team/division. Like if a thing happens with the Cowboys, and their is a Cowboys thread, people are just going to post it in there. Most of the forum won't see it because no one is going to follow all those threads, and subsequently only the people in those threads will be talking about it. And so instead of a big community you just have a super tiny Dallas Cowboys board.

AFC Thread

NFC Thread

Encourage crossposting?

Ya

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Right but the issue is mostly with the structure of the threads themselves, not with specific posters. You're still winding up in a situation where all the news about a team winds will only getting posted in the thread about that team/division. Most of the forum won't see it because no one is going to follow all those threads, and subsequently only the people in those threads will be talking about it.

I don't see why that would automatically be the case. Sure most of the puff pieces about how our rookie 7th rounder is doing won't end up in N/Vs, but if Marshawn Lynch went down with an ACL tear or Pete got caught with a teen hooker I'm sure one of us would be happy to share that over in N/V. Besides, we all follow Schefter on twitter so it isn't like the only way for me to learn about the Titans is through loving smoke signals.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Yeah I'm with MV, I love the quickfire mega-GDTs with N/V and Aftermath for effort posting. I think it works especially well in terms of talking about the NFL because of how often players/coaches/assistants move from team to team and it's nice to talk about individuals in the context of the whole league rather than go through a litany of slow, narrowly-focused bantuthreads

also having a small number of threads makes it way easier to follow on a tablet/phone which is generally where I (and probably a lot of others) post from when watching the games on TV

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

Besides, we all follow Schefter on twitter so it isn't like the only way for me to learn about the Titans is through loving smoke signals.

This forum isn't a RSS feed, so that's not the issue. It's a discussion forum. And the vast majority of the discussion will only happen in that one thread. N/Vs is is more than just super big top of ESPN headline stuff, because those super big stories don't necessarily break every day. It's fun to read and talk about the smaller stuff as a big group too, and that will get lost.

Encourage crossposting?

We can do that all we want, but it's extremely unlikely to happen because it's really hard to keep up with all those threads. It was encouraged last time and hardly ever happened.

We are also now pretty far away from the nominal topic of this thread, not that I mind talking about this either.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Can we just make the threads anyway and if no one posts in them then so be it?

As far as the original topic: I'll give a shot on a non-Steelers-Ravens game and try and make an "unoficcial" GDT and see what happens. If people post in it hey awesome, if not then rip.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 9, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I think having conference gdts (or by network) is the best compromise tbh.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sour Diesel posted:

Can we just make the threads anyway and if no one posts in them then so be it?

As far as the original topic: I'll give a shot on a non-Steelers-Ravens game and try and make an "unoficcial" GDT and see what happens. If people post in it hey awesome, if not then rip.

I'd really rather you didn't until more people (and Kalli) have a chance to chime in. It is 2 AM on the west coast I don't know that you're getting much of a forum consensus here.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Haha, in thinking about the issue, the solution I came up with was to keep the N/V the same but add a forums feature that lets you tag a post so people looking for Cowboys posts can find stuff related to them. I can't think of anything else, either. Maybe this is the best we get.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MourningView posted:

I'd really rather you didn't until more people (and Kalli) have a chance to chime in.

Should've clarified, didn't mean immediately. And yea it's late so it's just a few of us talking at each other and not enough people around to get a good enough gauge on things. I'm stuck on call and hating being conscious right now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

This forum isn't RSS feed, so that's not the issue. It's a discussion forum. And the vast majority of the discussion will only happen in that one thread. N/Vs is is more than jsut super big top of ESPN headline stuff, because those super big stories don't necessarily break every day. It's fun to read and talk about the smaller stuff as a big group too, and that will get lost.

Exactly, it is a discussion forum, which is why people are complaining about the lack of discussion and how often things they want to talk about get lost in the shuffle of a N/V thread dominated by reposts of sportswriter tweets and one liners, broken up by occasional slap fights.

Haha, in thinking about the issue, the solution I came up with was to keep the N/V the same but add a forums feature that lets you tag a post so people looking for Cowboys posts can find stuff related to them. I can't think of anything else, either. Maybe this is the best we get.

Out of every possible idea out there I think the worst one is something that involves trying to add new functions and infrastructure to a forum that can barely handle a search function. Also there is no way they would program that in just for us, even if they could. Also I am not a programmer so maybe it is totally feasible and easy and if that's the case then I don't know why we have so many difficulties with other basic poo poo on the site.

Though I wish your idea was possible because I'd love to see the creative ways people would abuse it.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I think the better solution is honestly to make separate threads for really big news stories that drown out smaller ones, rather than isolating all the smaller ones in a thread most of the forum will never click on.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Instead of weekly N/Vs have a general discussion thread and team specific threads that last all season or a month at a time (like the offseason)? Maybe the N/Vs died because they didn't last as long as the other threads and there wasn't a basis of discussion to build on.

I earnestly believe that with an environment that encourages crossposting and discussion for team specific (or at least division specific) stuff AND leaguewide stuff, you broaden the appeal of TFF and ultimately get more good discussion simply by attracting new people and their viewpoints. Perhaps it doesn't work and didn't work, but I think this problem exists because posters want both types of forum discussion.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
the standard gdt/nv/aftermath thread structure works great i think but it would be a good compromise to have season-spanning general chat/discussion threads for each team too and any effortposts popping up in them can be linked to from the n/v or aftermath threads. then if no one posts in them it doesn't hurt anything

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Instead of weekly N/Vs have a general discussion thread and team specific threads that last all season or a month at a time (like the offseason)? Maybe the N/Vs died because they didn't last as long as the other threads and there wasn't a basis of discussion to build on.

I earnestly believe that with an environment that encourages crossposting and discussion for team specific (or at least division specific) stuff AND leaguewide stuff, you broaden the appeal of TFF and ultimately get more good discussion simply by attracting new people and their viewpoints. Perhaps it doesn't work and didn't work, but I think this problem exists because posters want both types of forum discussion.

Yea same. I joined TFF looking for a place to do some RavensChat in, and the AFC:N thread seemed like a decent enough place to read about it since I couldn't find anything in the N/V because no one in there really seemed interested in talking about whether or not D-Mason still had a year left in the tank or not so I was reluctant to post about it there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

I think the better solution is honestly to make separate threads for really big news stories that drown out smaller ones, rather than isolating all the smaller ones in a thread most of the forum will never click on.

I saw your post before the edit and I feel it is worth responding to anyway.

Don't you think a forum that relied more on actual in depth discussion in some threads would result in changing poster behavior? Short posts that consist of a sentence or two of stream of consciousness or kneejerk reactions have become a norm around here and it just becomes easier to adopt that style and go along with the flow than it does to type out an effort post that is just going to receive a bunch of abbreviated responses and "lol u r right dog". One of the goals in adding these smaller threads is to hopefully change the (trigger warning for all you anti-sjw folks) culture of TFF and promote actual discussion as opposed to the same dozen catch phrases we all have to read every day. I know I'm a huge culprit of this same behavior that I'm criticizing, and I don't want to eliminate it entirely as it can be useful or funny in certain situations, but in the past when I've tried putting effort into a longer post or having a discussion the echo chamber tends to ignore it or shoot it down and at that point it is just easier to go along with it or leave. (The third option being to continue and just become another Doltos like poster who is always met with a huge derail when he posts, though a lot of that does have to do with him often having terrible opinions, I will concede that.) I'm hoping that smaller dedicated threads can lead to some fresh input of ideas and discussion and you can still head over to the main threads for your "everyone check on Ross and make sure he didn't OD" post that will surely still be funny the thousandth time it is posted.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I understand the catchphrase stuff and all that but sometimes it is fun just to chill out and gently caress around. Me and a handful of AFC:N dudes were just dicking around in the N/V thread yesterday and it was pretty funny and we all had a good time. There were emptyquotes and a feel "lol" posts and everyone seemed to survive. Granted we were all united in hating the Steelers but there was a Steelers dude in there too!

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Conference threads are a solution in search of a problem and there's no way of breaking up the GDTs in a way that actually solves the problem without ending up with a bunch of balkanized threads that aren't as fun as one big one.

Once again I'm just gonna vote for leaving everything as is.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the need for a change or what value there is in having a bunch of isolated game threads... ?

I mean I think it's great that y'all are thinking outside the box but I'm not sure splitting things up works as well in practical terms as it does in your imagination, is all

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
As someone who doesn't follow the NFL GDTs at all I can't really comment much on those. I do follow the N/V threads but things generally seem to be in favor of keeping those as is anyway.

As someone who does follow the CFB GDTs, I have no idea how splitting them up would work. I don't think a single team has a large enough posting group on here for that to really work in any way—obviously there are larger groups for some teams other than the ones I follow, but there are at best like five Kentucky posters on here who actually follow football, and I'm reasonably sure I'm literally the only poster on this entire forum who has any connection to WKU at all. Going for conference-specific GDTs could maybe work activity-wise, but part of the fun of GDTs to me was always reading about games that I never would have paid much attention to otherwise since there are literally dozens of games every weekend, and I don't really want to have to try to keep up with a whole bunch of fast-moving threads at the same time instead of just the one.

• Locked thread