Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Hey, I don't think this exists yet, and I'm praying to god there's a market for it, so let's talk about Avant-Garde music!

Avant-Garde is basically music and other art, done through primarily experimental means. Whether this means blending video and audio, adding aspects to a live performance, or creating new instruments out of whole cloth, the sky's the limit!

So c'mon, Goons, talk about your favorite Avant Garde musicians right here and now!

To start things off, I'll talk about a Avant-Garde artist who was especially big in NYC, complete with her own exhibit in the MOMA, Laurie Anderson!

Ms. Anderson is a creative sort. She's created several instruments, such as the "talking stick", a six foot baton-like midi controller which can hold sounds in the form of "grains" and play them back, as well as the "Tape Bow Violin", a violin with magnetic tape in place of horsehair on the bow, and a magnetic tape head on the violin itself.

She's made many live performances, and one of her most famous songs is "O Superman", which I will link for your convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VIqA3i2zQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's about time someone made an Avant Garde thread. :hf: Their progressive stylings propelled by Peter Kitts' furious fretwork really pushed the boundaries of what was thought to be possible at the time. It's a shame they didn't stick around long enough to release a proper album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z687XnigaLs

• Locked thread