Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Goddamn. I know it became pretty common to give him a lot of poo poo about his shtick and some of his more mawkish choices near the end, but you could never deny Robin Williams' ridiculous talent for both comedy and drama and sensational improvisational ability. If I had to pick one moment, just one, from his career that sums up what made him so amazing it would be this scene from Good Will Hunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mn3nLPSMY

If you didn't already know, everything about Dr Maguire's late wife farting in her sleep was completely improvised by Williams. Matt Damon's reaction is genuine, and the reason the camera shakes is because the cameraman couldn't stop laughing. But then Williams takes a drat funny bit and expertly segues it into an incredibly poignant and touching observation that it's the little idiosyncracies that he misses the most, and starts talking about an intimate adult relationship in such a relatable, mature way that it blows my mind that he made it up on the spot. And that's what he was capable of, to me there's no other word: Magic. He improvised possibly the most touching moment of a quite incredible film, like that's something he could just do without really thinking about it.

This is a huge, huge loss. I don't really know what else to say. There'll never be anyone else like Robin Williams. RIP

quick edit: And yes, every single mention of 'O Captain My Captain' this morning absolutely broke my heart, another of my favourite movie moments (and one of my favourite scores). So, here's that too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lREv55MY5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

E: BBC: According to Williams' wife, he had early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Goddamnit, how awful :smith:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I went for my first therapy session today. I've had my demons all my life, and as stupid and selfish as it probably sounds this whole situation convinced me that it was finally time to get some real, honest help. Just one session and it's helped immensely, so if anything positive comes of this I hope others can be persuaded to do the same.

• Locked thread