Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhizomorph
Sep 8, 2007
life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome.
So this morning, I watched World's Greatest Dad for the first time. His recent suicide is a powerful lens into the mechanics of the story. No spoilers, but it's an intense exploration of identity, transference, and projection ("I didn't choose to be born," from the son is all Sartre). If you can, check it out on Netflix, they have a whole RW thing going on right now. Then, afterward, compare "Wheatfield with Crows" by Van Gogh. SIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhizomorph
Sep 8, 2007
life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome.

Blue Star posted:

I watched The Fisher King and World's Greatest Dad for the first time this week. Enjoyed both. Also rewatched The Birdcage and Jumanji.

At the end of World's Greatest Dad, he should have kept up the charade and lived like a king for the rest of his life. I don't see why he was feeling guilty. He was making sick money and tons of people were getting inspired. But that's just me.

Living a lie is one of the most soul-crushing things you can do, even if it seems to make other people happy. I learned that from serving under DADT in the marines. The film (written by Bobcat Goldthwait) was an allegory for his own life and never being understood by the people who loved only an ideation of him, who shunned the sight of his real face and voice and personal problems that couldn't be sublimated into funny jokes.

There are certain types of anguish that we are conditioned to neglect. Running to parents when you're a child and telling them you're sad makes them just try to convince you that you aren't really sad and your pain is illegitimate ("how can be sad? we feed you and give you stuff to play with") and if you keep it up, you get a ride to the therapist. However, telling them you have a stomach ache or some other somatic issue elicits sympathy, because that's something within their power to treat and diagnose.

In so many ways, we're all just big dumb kids, and we can never truly understand one another. (lmao @ life)

• Locked thread