Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One Robin Williams performance I haven't seen mentioned yet is Jumanji. Definitely one of the best movies of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

When I think of a serious/dramatic Robin Williams role I always come back to the episode of Homicide:Life on the Street that he was in. He's just so completely far away from the usual energetic comedy roles he had been around the same time.

I'm in Baltimore and on a local talk radio show this morning a random set-worker on Homicide called in and talked about his experience working with Robin Williams for that episode. He said Williams was a drat serious actor, classically trained and incredibly professional.

It may just be because this is still so fresh but it seems like a disproportionate amount of his movies will now be tough to watch without feeling at least a little bit sad. Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come, Aladdin, Awakenings, even Jumanji. His characters all have aspects to them that are extra depressing in light of what's happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

That's not to say it doesn't help to have someone to talk to or anything, obviously. It's always worth doing what one can to help others struggling with depression. Always. But yeah, it's never as simple as popping pills or getting a hug once in a while to stop it and be rid of it forever. That poo poo haunts people throughout their lives.

Stephen Fry made a pretty harrowing and fascinating documentary about bipolar disorder and depression (of which he suffers himself) and described the "lows" as just feeling like total worthless poo poo and nothing anyone says can convince you otherwise and at worst even contributes to how low you feel because you can easily interpret all the praise and love you get as criticisms when you're in that state of mind. It's terrifying.

Yea if I'm have a particularly bad day someone could say "You look drat good today!", and I will interpret it as a criticism of how I usually look. Or if I'm feeling really down on myself, somebody(could even be my own mother) would tell me they love me and all I'm thinking is "Really? Why? Your love is wasted on me, I'm a worthless loser."

Depression can turn any positive into a negative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I can't link it right now because I'm at work but there is an amazing video of Williams having a tickle fight with that famous Gorilla Koko that learned sign language. I could watch this for hours. Its on youtube obviously but I'm sure its other places as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There really is no Robin Williams movie that is immune to whats happened. I watched Jumanji over the weekend and all the Alan Parish character wants to do is connect with his father, and then he spends 25 years alone in the loving jungle before finally everything can be set right in the end. Except this is real life and there's no magical board game to reset everything :(

• Locked thread