Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyd6smXGBlM

Williams was one of the first comedians who ever made me laugh, even before I could understand English or read subtitles, I saw his standup show and just him acting silly was hilarious. Always loved him in lighter movies (Good Morning Vietnam, Hook, etc.) but he was such a crazy good dramatic actor too, even if the movies around him didn't always work quite as well. The Night Listener, Final Cut, What Dreams May Come, The World According to Garp, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo, Insomnia, World's Greatest Dad. Just loads of them. Super loving bummed out by this.

Oh goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's rarely as simple as having a friend around when it comes to depression. It really, really fucks with your mind so much so that no matter what others say it can very easily beat you down hard enough to come to the conclusion that suicide is the only answer. The whole time you can be fully aware of what you contribute to the world around you and how many people care about you, and it can still get you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Totally true. It's always a shock when someone kills themselves due to depression because we get inundated with commercials telling us that depression is sad cartoons that you just take some pills and they get replaced by smiling clouds or whatever the gently caress. gently caress that poo poo.
That's not to say it doesn't help to have someone to talk to or anything, obviously. It's always worth doing what one can to help others struggling with depression. Always. But yeah, it's never as simple as popping pills or getting a hug once in a while to stop it and be rid of it forever. That poo poo haunts people throughout their lives.

Stephen Fry made a pretty harrowing and fascinating documentary about bipolar disorder and depression (of which he suffers himself) and described the "lows" as just feeling like total worthless poo poo and nothing anyone says can convince you otherwise and at worst even contributes to how low you feel because you can easily interpret all the praise and love you get as criticisms when you're in that state of mind. It's terrifying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Norm McDonald's tweeted story was beautiful, though.
Thought I'd go have a look at this and yeah, it's pretty great:

Norm MacDonald posted:

It was my first stand-up appearance on Letterman and I had to follow the funniest man in the world. I was a punk kid from rural Ontario and I was in my dressing room, terrified. I was on the phone to a friend back home when the funniest man in the world ambled by. There was no one else on the floor.

In shock, I told my friend who just walked by. Only the funniest man in the world. I guess he heard me say his name, cause in an instant he was at my side. He was a jewish tailor, taking my measurements. He went down on his knees, asked which way I dressed. I told my friend on the phone that the funniest man in the world was on his knees before me, measuring my inseam. My friend didn’t believe me so I said, ”Could you talk to my friend, sir.”

The funniest man in the world took the phone and for ten minutes took my friend’s chinese food order. I laughed and laughed and it was like I was in a dream because no one else was there. No one. The place was out of Moo Shoo Pork, and there was nothing he could do about it. He angrily hung up on my friend and I was about to thank him when he said I hadn’t even tried the jacket on.

Then the funniest man on earth dressed me, a complete stranger, and I remember he ended with a windsor knot. He spoke mostly yiddish, but when he finished he was happy with his job and turned me to a mirror to present myself to myself. No one witnessed any of this. No one. The funniest man alive was in my dressing room a good half-hour and was far funnier than the set I had to do soon. When he left my dressing room, I felt alone. As alone as I ever remember feeling.

Until today. Unacceptable. #RIPRobinWilliams

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That reminded me of this short behind the scenes bit from Awakenings. I've never seen DeNiro laugh like that.

E: BBC: According to Williams' wife, he had early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 14, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Just read about Williams having early-stages of Parkinsons. Really a sad thing, hopefully that wasn't the one thing that pushed him over the edge :smith:
Yeah, though one wonders if it, in part, made him want to end it all before the disease started to wreak havoc and changed how the world would remember him. It's really drat sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, it's weird. I've still had a few random "Wait, Robin Williams is dead." moments the past couple of days. :smith:

• Locked thread