Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hopefully his former wife will be able to descend to hell and rescue him and bring him back to the light with his children eventually

:unsmith:

:smith::smith::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JackMackerel posted:

I feel really loving bad for laughing.

RIP. loving hell.

I feel bad for making the joke, but I figure, laugh so you don't cry, kiddo. :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lizardman posted:

This is gonna be the most bizarre thing to wish (and if it's inappropriate I'll be happy to remove), but I honestly hope this is a result of autoerotic asphyxiation rather than suicide. I'd much rather he went out enjoying himself rather than under crushing sadness and depression.

No, shut up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sometimes, you can't even take your own advice. :smith:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Spent tonight rewatching some of his standup specials, and now I'm actually crying a little bit. What the gently caress.

edit: Don't loving read the GBS thread about him, it's loving disgusting and disgraceful.
GBS Neo is full of unfunny edgy or ironic stupid shitheads and FYAD-wannabes? I am stunned

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blue Star posted:

If loving Robin Williams succumbed to depression, what chance does someone like me have?

Please consider medication. I have suffered crippling depression my entire life, and it has only gotten worse as certain traumatic events happened. I was in the depths of despair and lost the best girlfriend I've ever had because of it, and had stopped talking to people almost entirely except for work. Then I was able to get (unpaid) medical leave from work, and spent a few weeks speaking to various therapists finding the right one for me. After three weeks and eight failures I did, and then spoke to a doctor about getting a prescription for an antidepressant, I have been on plenty before like wellbutrin, but can no longer swallow pills due to throat scarring. If you need a suggestion to talk to your doctor about, I currently take the liquid form of Citalopram, the generic of Celexa. It along with therapy has immeasurably improved my life, allowed me to socialize and look at things optimistically, instead of just being so cripplingly sad and despairing all the time.

It's never a bad time to talk to someone and seek help. If you are suffering from depression, please don't let it fester and encroach on your mind, it pollutes everything and makes nothing enjoyable anymore. It is a constant weight that even now I still deal with, but my therapy, medication, and improving my diet has galvanized my ability to push the negative thoughts away and enjoy life.

I have talked four people out of suicide and to seek help, and I've been told I should look into becoming a psychotherapist, but I'm not really one for that sort of thing on a constant basis, as it can be depressing itself as you help someone through their problems, especially empathizing with them can be incredibly exhausting, but I'd rather shoulder that burden than stand by and do nothing. Nobody doing anything even when there were signs he was very depressed is why a childhood friend of mine hung himself in middle school, and it haunted my sister for the rest of her life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, where were all these stories hiding before!

That's the saddest part about these unexpected deaths, you only hear these amazing stories when the person is already gone.

Ryan Davis, who suddenly died right after he got married at age 32, is a prime example of this, as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please remember to not just settle for any therapist. Find one who works for you. I went through eight who did not work for me, either I wasn't their specialty age range, or specialty type of affliction, or they just didn't click with me(one was a 65 year old dude whose knowledge of video games and pop culture was "that Wii thing I read about in the paper, right?", so there was a massive generation gap between us). It doesn't hurt to take time off of work if you can get it, even unpaid, to make sure you focus entirely on bettering yourself and your situation. If I had to work while trying to set up and get to appointments during those weeks, I would've gone nutty.

Always remember: it can get better. Even after I've lost almost everything I have and everyone I love or is important to me multiple times, I've still forced myself to get back up.

I think the most important thing for anyone who is depressed, is to find something basic to live for. Something that can't just be defined and met and that's it, goal over. My personal reason to live(although it's not the only thing, it's the one I can count on when I have nothing else and have reached the bottom of the barrel) is "to watch the direction humanity goes in the future, to see what advances in technology and medicine we make during my lifetime, for as long as I can". This type of goal or basic belief can help you find meaning when everything seems pointless.

Also, if you are uninsured or poor, it doesn't mean you have zero options. If nothing else, there are hotlines such as The Samaritans(for Massachusetts residents) who provide counseling, emotional support, and just someone to talk to, staffed by volunteers who are totally willing to listen to your problems, or just chit-chat if you want for a while, for free. I'm sure there's plenty of similar organizations in other areas as well. My stepfather and my sister's former boyfriend both work/worked there and have helped dozens of people who felt like they had no other options.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well gently caress. Knowing you have Parkinson's alongside a lifetime of depression, I can see that pushing someone over the edge. gently caress Parkinson's. gently caress degenerative diseases in general, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Parkinsons also causes/amplifies depression due to obstructing dopamine production, which likely caused a doomed spiral alongside his pre-existing depression.

I am not in any way saying his death was a good thing or anything but a tragedy. But his death, being such a hugely prominent figure from something often considered a "buck up" whiner problem by ignorant people rather than a legitimate affliction, has definitely made people reflect on their own situation and others'. Calls to suicide hotlines and groups like Samaritans have shot through the roof as people start actively seeking help rather than just burying it and allowing it to eat at them subconsciously.

If I had a crippling degenerative neurological disease such as Parkinsons or alzheimers, I'd definitely be considering life as I know it and whether I'd prefer to go out on a high note, or deteriorate to the point where I can't control my own body or I'm pissing and making GBS threads myself without knowing it. If I wasn't able to think straight after a certain point, I'd probably choose DWD.

• Locked thread