Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I would like to be a power role please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Strong Mouse posted:

Are you willing to take a brand new player? If so, I'll join! No promises I won't be bad...

This is going to be my fifth game and I'm absolutely terrible so you have one person you can be better than!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Hello everyone I am confirming that I'm here with a power role. It is cool + good. I have a game with a deadline tonight and ~fencing practice~ so I probably won't be back until late tonight or tomorrow during work okay bye.

PS Don't lynch the newbie day 1 that would make me very sad

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Oh I no, if I get lynched D1 that sucks but someone has to so I understand. I meant don't lynch Strong Mouse. Has a vote, Juanito questioning him (I'm sure in jest, but all the same!)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

In my short mafia career (busb, since you were asking earlier, this is my fifth game), I have not often found myself in agreement with Juanito but in this case I can agree that after reading so far I don't see a compelling case on anyone so ##vote no-lynch so we can let all the power roles fly.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Foo posted:

Oh, I didn't see this, you're either TT in disguise or scum, either way ##vote chaoslorde

I think that's going to be my first alias. I'm becoming a real mafia player!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

With only 3 and a half pages in and a day and a half til deadline there's not a lot of real content yet. Also none of the joke votes were good enough that I was like "yeah I want to get in on that." Plus I'm not clever enough to come up with my own joke vote so I wanted to try something different, a no lynch vote. I'm indifferent on if turboing it or not is the right option but I won't lie that I'm super excited to have a power role to use.

OP doesn't clarify anything about this, is it plurality lynch if we don't reach a majority, or should we assume since nothing is said that it's a majority or nothing?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Savahontas posted:

I like you, let's be friends.

How do you feel about the strong mouse?

I accept this offer of friendship.

It is his first game so I won't vote him today but I could see myself voting for him on a future day for sure.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Foo posted:

Even with the prs everywhere a no Lynch and especially a turbo NL helps none but scum

This is a good point, although I feel it could be said about most turbos or joke votes ##unvote

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Foo posted:

Pointing out there is no content doesn't really help the situation hoss

Pointing out that I pointed out there is no content doesn't help much, either.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'm a he for what its worth. Phone posting, will try to think of a way to reply that wont come off as giving you a reason to justify your vote but if you thought that was hyper defensive I'm gonna have a hard time swaying you.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

This is going to backfire spectacularly but here goes.

Elephant posted:

This whole section of this post seems hyper-defensive to me.

Maybe it comes across as hyper defensive, but a couple of people questioned the no lynch vote so I thought I'd walk through my thought process rather than ignore it and pretend it didnt happen and hope no one keyed in on that. I reckon being open about why I do what I do is a lot better than trying to hide. It probably does seem awkward because I'm not very good with words and my posting in general is probably bad because I'm having to force myself to post (this will be post 12 which I know for most of yall regulars aint a lot but thats 2 or 3 days worth of posts for me in my games so far) to try to be more active.

quote:

Right here he (she?) uses weasel language to excuse not having to make a decision, a classic scum tactic.
Or, more correctly, I've already said a few times (in that quote included) that I'm not going to vote a new player day 1. However I would vote Strong Mouse later. I was asked about them and I answered.

Anyway, that all said, you and Foo are pretty much locked onto me and that's fine. Someone gets lynched. Obviously I'd prefer it not to be me but this is where we are. I'm not good at making cases so I probably won't be able to find someone to say "wait, this is better!", but it'll be a good chance to try my hand at it and start learning. Training wheels have to come off eventually, etc. However! After this game one of you vets needs to shoot me a PM and teach me how to play town without sounding scummy because I think I've come across badly in every game I've been in so far and I am not figuring out how to fix it.

(Gotta go fix a fridge now, if momentum against me keeps building I'd ask for a chance to claim of course but if I don't get a chance I don't get a chance)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Why could you see yourself voting for him in future? Has he done anything today to make you think he is scum? If so, what?

When I made the post, it was mostly this

Strong Mouse posted:

Why can't we all just get along?

(And then murder the scum when their defenses are down...)

Saying to me "They are trying way too hard to say 'Hey I'm town'". Having had a night to sleep on it, though, I don't feel the same way anymore. Especially because I remembered I did the exact same thing in my first game (using phrases like "us townies" a couple of different times), so I'm back to thinking they are town. I also would think a scumbro would have said "Hey don't say things like that it makes you seem like you're trying too hard" after the first one but then it happened again. I dunno, maybe that's dumb but I'm not thinking its Mouse anymore.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I think Foo is fine. The little one liners rubbed me the wrong way at first but this is my first game with him and it just seems he plays a little more aggressively. He saw something he didn't like so he went after it. Backed off when he was satisfied.

But I'll ask yall more experienced players, does Foo typically play a little bit more aggressively?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

So I'm guessing it has to so with the new platinum thing but everyone but Strong Mouse is showing up as Awful Poster in the windows awful app. That's really messing with my ability to process things haha. I'll be on my computer before deadline.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Sorry about missing deadline and not being here yesterday. Friday/Saturday/Sunday were fairly busy, I can tell yall about it if anyone is interested but if not I'll just move right on. Gonna reread (I've read most of it, but it was scattered between gas station stops and short breaks in work so none of it stuck) and post some thoughts here in a little bit if work is as light as I'm expecting today, otherwise it'll be tonight. I know we have two and a half days so there is no particular rush but no reason to kick the can down the road all the way til Wednesday either. I didn't fall off the Earth!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Foo posted:

As of now we should either lynch kells because IMO he has looked v bad today

Or

Lynch elephant because he looked bad yesterday, not looking great today, and most of the analysis we have so far looks based on his flip

In catching up, I agree with this position pretty much entirely. I think of the two, though, my preference would be Elephant. I know a lot of people have backed off because of the role claim but with randomized roles I don't see why his role would let him off the hook.

Role claim aside, his content is what make him the preferred lynch. Not to get OMGUS, but leaving his vote on me while conceding at the same time that I'm "probably [not] scum" sits with me wrong. I know he defended it as better than nothing on the off chance I am "possible genius scum" but I don't like that defense, personally. Moving into other territory,

Elephant posted:

I'm also not sure if worrying about the voting at the end of the first day is the best direction to be taking. We hit scum, that's fantastic- going back and forth about bussing and WIFOM is counter productive.

This confuses me. People can get bussed, sure, but to just say we should ignore votes is a bad move. Maybe we can't glean anything from D1 yet, maybe we can, but we should definitely be taking notes about it. Knowing who voted and why is one of the most powerful tools we have. The tearshed thing became "Well that's where the momentum built right at deadline", sure, but we can analyze how they moved. Like with Kells. We know he was super gungho on you and at the last second jumped ship. The explanation of why he gave up the case on you to jump on the turbo can be useful information for us later. It is content out there for us all to read, examine, and decide how we feel about. Even if everyone just posted and said "yeah I wanted to turbo", having them stand in front of everyone and have to say that gives town more to work with. Almost every post related to the game at hand can be helpful, so to brush aside one of the few things we can definitely sit down and have a discussion about seems silly. Oh, and also this

Elephant posted:

At this point a "joke vote" or a vote with no substance would be against the interests of the town- it's in scum's favor for the town to randomly lynch someone close to the deadline because nobody made a serious vote until six hours before the deadline, or whatever. I believe that the best thing any town can do is post and post often- it outs the scum who lurk, and scum who post often to keep up will often betray their allegiance in their posting.

And then while at -1

Elephant posted:

##Vote tearshed lynch the lurker imo

A lurker lynch is a fine Policy Lynch type deal, but it is the very definition of randomly lynching someone. He tells us all how random lynching is bad before helping get the ball rolling on a random lynch.

So yeah, prefer Elephant but would also vote Kells.

I also still can't quite shake the feeling on Strong Mouse. I know, I know, but it's just little things here and there. An example,

Strong Mouse posted:

When I voted, I didn't actually realize that I was number 7. I just saw that there was a chance to vote somebody off on day one and took it. I am glad that they were scum, otherwise I might have felt bad.

(emphasis mine) Like... I know mistakes happen and town gets lynched in games all the time so from that standpoint there is no real reason to feel bad, it's just a game, etc. But on the other hand if you're trying to win the game why wouldn't you definitely feel bad about lynching a town unless they were being uncooperative or belligerent in some way? It's possible I'm reading way, way too much into this though so if everyone tells me I'm way off base I'll move on, but being indifferent about how you would feel about a wrong lynch just feels off to me.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah, things have slowed up. I'm sticking by my post about voting Kells or Elephant at the moment. FV and I are both willing to vote Kells so the votes are here for the hammer. I would like to give chance for Kells to claim though so I'll wait until later tonight before voting.

Gonna start rereading to prepare for the deadline in case neither of my preferred votes will pan out.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I want to vote Kells. I know a couple of people have said they are interested in hearing who he thinks is scum but imo he's had plenty of time to do that and hasn't. I'll give him a few more hours if people want to give him a little more time but if people are fine with going now I'll place my vote.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I didn't find a better person to go after in my readthrough than Kells.

##vote Kellsterik

That will put them at -2. They've had ~18 hours to pop in to answer the question of who they think is scum, most of which has been within 24 hours of the deadline. Before that, they've been as close to a lynch as -1 and rather than put forth another lynch candidate they settled on basically saying "well I guess you will see how wrong you are when I flip." Kells has not given any reads. A gut vote of Elephant followed by jumping on the tearshed bandwagon. They've also posted in other threads but haven't found their way back here. To me, they read as either scum or that they've given up on this game.

I'm willing to entertain other cases if someone puts one forward, for sure, but this is my #1. I'll be around for deadline if it takes that long but I'll be gone from around 600 central to... hm. Call it 830 central to be safe.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'm around if needed for any discussion, sorta. I'm gonna be making rice krispy treats with the fiancée real quick (I actually have no idea how long it takes :ohdear:) so I'll be a little slow if anyone posts in my direction

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

Don't overheat the marshmallows or it'll make the treats gummy!

Good advice! I think I did well for my first time. It was hoping it was a quick thing but it was even quicker than I thought.

Foo says he will be back at hammer. Hopin that's true. Gonna be fairly upset if we no lynch.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

busb, if you don't want to vote Kells and Elephant is you #2, who is your #1?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Oh, okay, fair enough! I mistook what you meant with the last paragraph. My bad.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Should I unvote real quick to make sure no one can come in and hammer or is it fine? 14 minutes.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Er, 13

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Strong Mouse posted:

Aren't there only 8 people alive though

yuming, tearshed, juanito, chaoslord, and kell are dead. 13-5=8

I'm not dead!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

My main posting will start Sunday night probably. Getting spurts during work today, buying a washer/dryer tonight then driving to KC, spending the day in KC tomorrow before driving home, then church Sunday morning!

All that said, elephant is my #1 right now but I'm going to try to clear my mind of any opinions and reread. Probably only one scum left so I think we have the benefit of time.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Hi all, sorry for not being back last night like I said I would be. I had a rough weekend. My last semester of school starts today which is cool + good because I'll be the first in my family to graduate from college. A recent family loss has really put a damper on things for me, though.

That said, Elephant is at -1 and he's who I want to vote. Is there any discussion left to be had or should I hammer?

And we're all in agreement that busb gets the first post when the thread reopens, yeah?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'll be phone posting until around 8pm if yall want me to leave this open til then or I can hammer now so that ideally when this reopens in 24 hours busb will be around. I like Elephant for it and I don't think any more discussion is forthcoming but I also don't want to hammer if someone is right about to post a case they just came up with. Foo I trust your judgment so what do you think?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Back now, sorry bout that. Fiancee decided to make a bigger production of "lets go get some groceries" than I ever imagined. Foo, since you are asking SM questions just let me know when you're good for today and I'll vote.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'll give Sav a little time to come up with that since its not like anything else is happening. Somb is pretty busy with another game anyway that has a very similar deadline so I doubt we'd see the flip til 10 either way

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

See everyone tomorrow

##vote Elephant

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'd say everyone look over Foo to see if we can find any possible breadcrumbs left. If anyone is around now and wants to kick some ideas around, I'm here, but outside of that I dunno if I'm much use for the rest of today with respect to effort posting since its almost 10 at night. Gonna spend tonight/some time tomorrow looking to build a case.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well I didn't want to be the first to suggest it because of how me voting no lynch went on D1, but that was my first thought and I'm going to be sleeping on that possibility for sure.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah, surely it's 1 scum + 1 3p if not just one scum due to the alignments being random making things tough enough

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

busb posted:

If we nolynch then i can potentially get in 2 investigations, given i am not NKed or lynched before lylo.
6 now > 5 after NK tonight > investigation1? > 4 after lynch > 3 after NK > investigation2? > lylo

Scum can't afford to delay by not killing given i could just narrow down the playing field, but the lack of a doctor or protector flip thus far may be making them pause in taking me straight out.

Gotta say I really, really like the look of this

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The way I was thinking about it

If busb is goodguy: Probably gets NK'd, which pretty much confirms you as town Sav since that is the investigation result from earlier (pending possible godfather etc)

If busb is badguy: Scum only gets the NK instead of a mislynch + NK since I don't think busb would get lynched today. Town get another night to do actions which could potentially uncover busb as the badguy.

If busb is 3p: Still probably gets nk'd.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:ghost:First time I've ever been night killed. Go town.:ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:getin:

• Locked thread