Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If I can't play UA, I can at least play a UA-flavored mafia game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The Green Glass Grail scenario from Weep probably has potential as a Mafia-like thing.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Confirming that I

Me 2 (too)

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm willing to bet that we have a Cryptomancer who can only post true statements. Or one that always lies :tinfoil:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

"This statement is false."

you're breaking taboo!!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I have never played on SA, but I have played in person. "Nothing Fancy" is my motto, and have fun.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I predict that trying to determine who's scum on Day 1 based on supposed tells in their posts will descend into navelgazing even faster than usual

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Aaahhhh, ya got me *clutches chest from invisible cops n' robbers bullet wound*

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Elephant posted:

13 is an unlucky number, so ##vote yuming unlucky number 13.

My gut's telling me to ##vote Elephant. You gotta listen to the mysterious gurgling of your gut.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If I were being paranoid, I could read voting based on the number 13 as "I should vote for someone so they don't get suspicious, and this is clearly divorced from that person's posting so it won't burn any bridges." I'm not really persuaded by the other arguments right now.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
My deep and abiding faith that elephant is scum has not been shaken by this discussion. I'm riding this train to midnight.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'll probably be around at least to phonepost. Even goons usually have options on Friday night other than F5ing a mafia thread.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Hmm. Valkyrie has a good point. Is that your whole role?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
To be clear, you mean you're Johnny Ramone, famous musician of The Ramones, right?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Elephant posted:

I'm the executioner.

Johnny Ramone I thought was maybe fake, but this is a legit thing with Unknown Armies flavor.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm convinced. My gut misgurgled this time.

##unvote

##vote tearshed

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, I really like these roles too! You're integrating UA concepts with mafia really well.

Tearshed was not a super good Demagogue this game.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If you look back at the very end of D1, King Burgundy was the one who initiated the switch to tearshed, so i'm reading that as a revenge killing.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

yuming posted:

Also, the reference to the earlier post reads self-conscious, over-explain-y, ergo: scummy.

I'm a jokester. I love to laugh.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not explaining away anything, i'm just commenting on it. I think Burgundy being nightkilled is related to him inducing the big vote switch to tearshed.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, let's hear it, that guy is acting scummy as oh wait oops

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I hereby apologize for being grumpy and bitchy. I just had a nice dinner and i'm ready to contribute.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Kell, yesterday you were really convinced that Elephant was scum. What is your opinion today?

If you mean my opinion on Elephant, the claim convinced me that he was town. I think that role is plausible and I believe that's his actual one. I was initially convinced because I read the voting based on 13 thing, thought "that's not a real-sounding reason", and interpreted future posts having already made up my mind. The claim was more convincing evidence for town.

For Day 2, I think a good start would be looking at how other posters talked about tearshed on Day 1 and who did or didn't mention him before the final vote rush, since there are so few posts from the actual person.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Alright, I figured I was pretty much dead in the water at this point, but as long as I have an opportunity to claim i'll take it.

I'm the Oneiromancer. The idea is that the longer I "stay awake", that is, for each night that I survive, I gain access to another power. They're kind of a grab bag, but mostly deal with redirecting and roleblocking other peoples' night actions. Most of my powers are a single night action accompanied by a lasting change to the game conditions: for instance, last night I could see the results of someone else's investigate/watch/etc action (not that anything came of it since I picked Asiina and returned a null result), but I now investigate as scum. If I survive for a few more nights, I can roleblock someone and cause lynches to happen at -1 the next day.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Well, the nature of the power is that a different "lasting effect" occurs with each night action. So if I used a different power, I would not investigate as scum. I didn't actually know what a Miller was until I googled it just now.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Not especially, no. It's not exactly a trump card of a claim.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Right, I was just clarifying that it's temporary rather than an inherent part of my role.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
As I understand it, I do currently, but will no longer investigate as scum once I use another power. Two of my lasting effects are mutually exclusive, which is why I infer that they are one effect at a time.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

busb posted:

Hey fyi this isn't what town sounds like when they roleclaim. Scum usually "take the opportunity" to fakeclaim because they work on them and are excited to use them. Town are "forced to claim" because they know it has a high chance of rendering them useless.

This reads like scum POV for claiming to me, happy to lynch ##vote Kellsterik.

Looking forward to being proved innocent posthumously, then.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

busb posted:

I still want to hear his thoughts anyway. All we have is an opinion on Elephant which he backed away from because of the roleclaim, which we know means nothing.

Asiina posted:

I'm back home now.

Also I am not entirely sure that my action last night wouldn't have given Kell a result to see. It's iffy, but I definitely got a result indicating I was successful.

I guess it would depend what "etc" refers to since I am not a cop or a watcher.

I've been thinking over Asiina's motives for this post. Is it a way to make their role ambiguous again after I implied a hint to their role by saying they didn't give me an investigate action? What night actions could exist in this game that don't yield an investigation-like result? My very first thought was "could it be that they're a doctor and trying to suggest that without leaving themselves open?" But I decided that wasn't likely, because A it feels like me overthinking and B the scum could make the same inference as a town. Plus, as we've seen with the role flips so far, there exist more oblique night actions like ##indict and ##forget. Maybe someone more insightful than me can read more into this sort of quasi-claim, but I feel like there's something accurate that can be gleaned here.

yuming posted:

I still want to lynch Kell. If someone wants me to comment on someone else specifically please let me know.

Yuming has been leading the charge to lynch me today. I'd like her to briefly explain why she still thinks i'm scum now that the deadline is close and i'm the leading lynch candidate.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Not that it's super relevant when i've been so absent from the thread in general, but for the record, i've been at work tonight and I keep thinking i'm going to be lynched by the time I get back anyway.

This is going to sound petty under the circumstances, but I really do consider yuming the strongest candidate for scum right now. I don't know that I have enough experience reading for tells to gauge others alignments, but she says scum to me. Really quick case coming once I quote, phoneposting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

yuming posted:

My case remains the same as it did at the beginning of the day-- the vote on tearshed. The conviction that he was scum.

Again, i'm clearly biased, but I consider this case very weak. People had been calling for any day one lynch as an end in itself, which I was inclined to agree with. Seeing that I was online for the closing period anyway, iirc I weighed whether I was sufficiently convinced by Elephant's claim to unvote while I was getting a glass of water and changed vote when I came back. I think it's possible that she was reading scumminess into my posts due to the context of typical mafia posts which she knows better than I do, which I can't really blame her for.

But I also think she found an easy target in my semi-lurking rear end and built up momentum over the course of the day for a lynch. Her case says to me "I need a townie to lynch, you'll do." She's been set on me all day with a fairly weak case that I don't believe she deduced in good faith.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Juanito posted:

but I feel okay about Kells, even if he's town, his role is not helpful to town.

This is pretty much the response I expected :v

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yuming gave me a very nice compliment D1.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The navelgazing post was my tongue-in-cheek impression of forums mafia as an outsider. Do you consider "everyone is bad at mafia" discouragimg scumhunting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
you said you liked the newbies...the comedy is finished. *fades away...*

• Locked thread