Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I was "We Do Not Suh." I'm a little tight on leagues this year, but I think I'll be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I said probably :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So what is up with people dropping and adding players on August 11th?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, but why are they allowed to add players to their roster off the waiver wire? That is what I am confused about.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

What is the difference? Were those players drafted by those teams and on those rosters when the season ended?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It appears that someone is just grabbing a player to put on their roster with the option of potentially keeping them and circumventing the draft process. Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems like you shouldn't be able to pick up players that weren't already on your roster. If I'm being retarded, please tell me so. I just want to know why they were able to add Arian Foster and Rob Gronkowski to their rosters.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That's fine. I'm not really too concerned about it, since I plan on winning anyway. It seems odd, but if you guys think it's normal, I'm not worried about it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Damnit, you guys and your pictures are really making me jealous I suck at photoshop.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm a big fan of the boom or bust strategy. I went into last year targeting Forte/Graham for over half my cap and walked away a champion.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The problem I have is when people are picking up free agents once the new season opens. Personally, I think it is bullshit to be able to circumvent the auction process. If you grabbed Gronkowski as a FA in week 17 because someone dropped him, that is one thing. Doing it a week before the draft is something different altogether.

EDIT: I am fine with either way. It just annoys me for some reason. It has not affected how I will be approaching the draft. Besides, you guys need all the help you can get against me. :smug:

Sataere fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I say to just leave it as is for this year, but this is something that should be discussed for next year. Do we have an IR slot? If not, it seems to me that we should designate one for this type of situation.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Now I know the reason we are having this conversation. :v:

I think everyone should get two IR slots, since we have two keepers.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

NowonSA posted:

And so the deed is done. I have met the killer of my draft, and he is me.

You made me think I missed the draft with this post. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I would just go A Goulden Crown.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Here is my minimum effort post for a GoT style draft recap. I spent way longer on this than I probably should have, but what the hell. Some of these are quite terrible, so please feel free to improve on them if you have funnier ideas. (Which shouldn't be hard)

From the seas of the Summer Isles and beyond the reach of the Wall, across the sands of Dorne and the mountains of the Eyrie, twelve realms did prepare to battle for honor. These sweet summer children did not yet realize that there was no honor to be got upon this battlefield, for the draft is dark and full of terrors. Little knowing what fate might befall them, each warrior raised his armies preparing to fight for the fate of Westeros.

Some thought Hallyne's Wildfire to be an unquenchable flame. For before the battle had even begun, he had called to arms one of the finest warriors that The Seven Kingdoms had ever seen, Ser Peyton Manning. Ser Manning was known throughout the land to be a knight of great renown, perhaps as great as Ser Ryam Redwine, Ser Criston Cole or even the Sword of the Morning himself, Ser Arthur Dayne. And like a true knight of the Kingsguard, he forsook riches and donned his white cloak to fight for Hallyne in this Game of Roto. It seemed to many that the battle was already won, for although Manning had not won any tourney's of great renown, it was well known that he was as fierce a warrior as the realm had ever known.

It is said that a Lannister always pays his debts. When the Lannister's Golden Lions took to recruiting, many thought the untold wealth beneath Casterly Rock would make the pending war a formality. Before the sun had even broken past the horizon, the Lannister's had procured the fealty of Ser Aaron Rodgers and Ser Calvin Johnson. To many of the lords, it seemed as if all hope was lost. But then the Lannister's stopped enlisted soldiers into their army, and none knew why. It did not take long for many to question why the Lannister's Golden Lions would tread so lightly when they spoke so bold. Soon, the armies of Westeros were staring befuddledly at one another Some even openly snickered at the Lannisters. When the Lannister's finally procured the fealty of Ser Trent Richardson, one brave ser asked if he were part Frey.

An Unleashing of Dragons descended from the blood of Old Valyria and understood that to win battles, you needed not knights, but mages of blackest night. Spellbinders who would hurl their dark magic at all who opposed them. So when he saw two acolytes of the Red God, he knew they would turn the tide of this battle in his favor. For Matthew Stafford and Carson Palmer are relentless in casting their black magic, and they care not who they hit with their spells, even be it their own armies.

You Know Nothing Dwayne Bowe does know one thing -- it is knights that win battles. Although he had the fealty of Ser Jamaal Charles and Ser Montee Ball, he knew that he needed another knight to lead the vanguard of his troops. He need a warrior so fierce, that the ground beneath him trembled at his awesome might. He need a soldier so fierce, he would be thought of as more beast than man. So with his last stag, You Know Nothing Dwayne Bowe commissioned the Mountain That Rides, one Ser Marshawn Lynch, to lead his troops as he had that fateful day he tore through the Saints of New Orleans.

Bronny Football did not raise his army like some of these high lords and ladies, for he was no highborn lord. Bronny Football was a sellsword who had to earn his knighthood through his quick wits and quicker sword. While others chased noble lineage and bloodlines, Bronny looked for knights such as himself. Warriors such as Ser Tony Romo and Ser Matt Ryan, who may not have won any tournaments of note, but who knew their way around a fight. Just as long as that fight wasn't in the finals of a tournament.

None appreciate the male form like Doug R.R. Martin. Doug R. R. Martin understands that the shape of a man will tell you what type of warrior he will. He can tell you at length about the scars that shape Ser Colin of House Kaepernick unseemly visage. So when the opportunity to gain the allegiance of Ser Robert of Gronkowski, he knew that a warrior with such perfect form would do well against all the might of Westeros.

Many ridiculed The House Mormont Bears when they declared they would recruit no champions. His bannermen begged their lord to reconsider, but The House Mormont Bears would not heed their words. He spoke of a dream he had, of the three-eyed raven who told of the warriors who would come to his banner, bearing his sigil on their helms. Many lords and ladies scoffed at this brash proclamation, thinking him as much a drunkard as Robert Baratheon. The peoples dismay soon turned to wonderment, for the words of the three-eyed raven are not to be dismissed so casually. First came Ser Matthew of House Forte, considered by many to be the paramount warrior in all the land. To the amazement of all, on his helmet was the very sigil the raven spoke of. Before his bannermen could overcome their awe, another knight of great renown, Ser Alshon of House Jeffrey strode into the great lords pavilion bearing a helm with the sigil of House Mormont. And thus was the prophecy fulfilled.

The Bear! The Bear and the Peyton Fair! This lord understood that speed is the most important thing for survival, so he recruited not just knights of renowned strength, but water dancers. Men who could move agilely from form to form, frustrating knights encased in armor. Water dancers such as Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant.

And who are you proud lord? That I should bid so low? The Rainey's of Castamere asked this question to the recruiters of the other armies. For the Rainey’s of Castamere were no Lannister's with their bottomless mines. They knew all too well the fate of those who bid too high a price for the warrior they wanted. They chose green and unproven squires, such as Tony Gerhart and Knowshown Moreno. While they were not seasoned like some of the other warriors, they knew that with enough battle-testing, they would be forged like an unbreakable blade of Valyrian steel.

But The Iron Rice hails from the Iron Islands, a harsh and unforgiving land, and there a true man will take what is his. The Iron Rice was not a man to be denied, and there were none who would match the steep cost this titan procured for a grizzled general as daring as a Wilding, as disciplined as an Unsullied, and as fair to look upon as a slave girl from the pleasure houses of Essos. No, when The Iron Rice proclaimed he would have McCown for one copper, all knew this was not a man to be reckoned with, for he had truly paid the iron price.

Then came We Do Not Suh, and although he had bested all who came before him in years past, he found himself unable to procure the heavy cavalry needed for an extended campaign. For the great houses knew that if they aligned themselves with him, they would be seen as lesser men. He tried in vain to secure the banners of such noble houses as the Bears of Forte or the Eagles of McCoy, but they spurned him in pursuit of greater riches. Eventually, We Do Not Suh found himself resorting to the basest of sellsword companies. Such unsavory names as Bernard Pierce and Danny Woodhead. Warriors known to all for their fickle service, men who would flee from battle when needed the most. And We Do Not Suh despaired, for how could he hope to face the challenges ahead.

One lord chose to ignore the call to arms, instead sending a simpleton by the name of Hodor to recruit his army for him. The gathered lords mocked and derided this sweet summer child, for deigning to believe he could build an army strong enough to challenge the twelve lords of Westeros. It was soon apparent that this was no dim-witted fool. None but the fiercest warrior could look upon Hodor’s vast hordes without feeling trepidation at the thought of facing them on the field. As the army departed, Hodor whispered to the other lords, “House Boldin sends his regards.”

So begins the war of the twelve lords. Many an ACL will fall, while some warriors will be cast from the battle for untold days, all for having been caught partaking of mead in a brothel. Make no mistake brave lords, this is a battle for the fate of Westeros. For in the Game of Roto, you win or you die.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You can tell I struggled with a couple of teams, but I did enjoy writing The Iron Rice one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

NowonSA posted:

Ouch, you really gave it to the Lannisters there. I mean, I deserve every bit of it, but ouch.

C'mon Sir Trent!

I just tried being funny. I went after myself just as hard.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

OrangeKing posted:

On the subject of Game of Thrones-themed team names, I had a team in one league that I was calling Tommen's Cats. It took me several days to change to the far superior Ser Pouncey.

Solid

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

And who are you, the handcuff said
that I must share the load?
Only a back who had one good game,
that's all the truth I know.
A coach of Love or a coach of Greg
a tailback should gain yards
And I can actually run and catch,
unlike Doug, that retard

and so he begged, and so he begged
that back from Kentucky
but poor bob rainey fumbled the ball
because gently caress fantasy
yes that poor back, fum-bled the ball
because gently caress fantasy

:golfclap:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Picked up Jake Locker off waivers. Pack it up Game of Roto and just crown my rear end right now.

Please change your team name to "The Sorrowful Man" with a picture of Locker injured on the sideline.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Third fewest points scored and I win. I fight like a Dornishman. :v:

EDIT: Looked at the wrong league. I was actually good in this one. My point still stands.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

NowonSA posted:

When I find out which one of you poisoned Doug Martin's wine, I'm going to make you pay.

It was Lovie Smith

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Well of course he isn't terrible anymore. I cut him in all my leagues. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

nerve posted:

Ah, the ol' outscore almost everyone in the league, except the person you're playing (and one other dude)

In the Game of Roto, you win or you cry! :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'd like to thank whoever cut the Eagles defense. It makes me happier than Tyrion in a whorehouse.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel my team is following the trajectory of one Robb Stark. I just start out winning and now I've been invited over for tea by one Late Lord Frey. I think I'm gonna accept this invitation.... I have a good feeling about this. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

drat, five teams within a game of each other in the Essos division, also known as the NFC West of Game of Roto. :v:

I was seriously in 8th place two weeks ago, I don't even know anymore.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm points leader but at 6-6 and need help to get into the playoffs :waycool:

When you play the Game of Roto...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Still points leader, still missing the playoffs.

Thanks for nothing, Bronny Football and An Unleashing of Dragons :argh:

Rhaeger fought nobly. Rhaeger fought honorably. Rhaeger fought valiantly. And Rhager died.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

4 teams making the playoffs would be cool if there were a way to circumvent derelict teams giftwrapping free wins to the beneficiaries of lucky scheduling - 10 teams were within 2 games of making the playoffs cutoff.

Then again 4 teams means you're playing wk17 which is dumb but whatevs.

I agree with this. It annoys me when I see my opponent has clearly given up.

quote:

haha you're a giant nerd

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think it is a stronger trade for me short term and a better trade for him long term. I don't think Anderson is a lock as a great keeper, and even if he is, I have plenty of great keepers on my team already. It was close, but I'd rather ride Rodgers in the playoffs. Also, I don't think it is a lock that he sits week 17. That assumes the Lions fall apart in December. Morris has been a top ten back in the league and is pretty consistent. I'm kind of surprised people are questioning it. I think the logic is pretty self-evident.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, I just woke up a bit cranky. If you saw lasts nights game, you understand why.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Watching New Orleans defensive performance yesterday, I'm thinking I should've stuck with Cutler. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was excited at the opportunity to defend my title, then noticed my opponent has Brees against the Bears next week. Congrats in advance. :v:

• Locked thread