Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live.

e: We are full, sorry.

Welcome, friends, to Year III. As with third movies in any given series, it comes with plenty of hype but will probably end in disappointment for most. As of this posting we have 7 of 12 of last year’s teams signed on to return. The 5 remaining teams are, of course, still welcome to join the league, so I’m comfortable giving them a week from this posting to do so before we start tacking on some newbies. If an old team needs a Join email sent to a different address than the one that Yahoo has, just let me know. I’m also open to the idea of just blowing the league up to 16 teams, which in my experience always makes for an entertaining season.

If you want to join us on our cinematically-themed but mostly otherwise standard fantasy football journey, just post and we can figure it out before poo poo starts. It'd be nice if you posted in Cinema Discusso but it seems dumb to make that a restriction, and it feels equally as dumb to say only join if you're "into movies" because who the gently caress isn't into movies? What's most important is that you play through the whole season and give every week your best even if you're not doing well. That's the real requirement.

Rules are mostly Yahoo standard except for .5 PPR and penalties for missing easy FGs/PATs. As with pretty much everything here, the rules are up for discussion.

The draft is arbitrarily set for :siren: Saturday, August 30 at 3pm. :siren: It can change according to people’s schedules and I think it’d be best to keep it at some point on that weekend.

As for league theme this year, let’s talk about it. We’ve done two directors now (Coens/Carpenter), but it could really be anything. We just need a wide berth of titles/characters with which we can either make a dumb pun or try to sound cool to only ourselves. Tradition dictates. Kurosawa or Bergman, for example, have a shitton of material to work with.

2012 Champion: The Big Gronkowski (JoeRules)

2013 Champion: The Porkchop Express (Gatts)

2014 Teams

Philip Seymour Hoffman Division

2. Mockingjaycutler (Y-Hat) (7-2)
5. Russell Wilson's War (Vargo) (6-3)
6. A Most Wanted Manning (weekly font) (5-4)
9. Fuckin' Idiots (Kull the Conqueror) (3-6)
10. HungryHungryHoffmans (Gatts) (2-7)
12. Talented Mr. Ridley (Darko) (1-8)

Robin McLaurin Williams Division

3. What Brees May Come (MacheteZombie) (8-1)
4. Jumanjiovanibernard (JoeRules) (7-2)
1. Good Morning Lambeau (YoshiFan823) (6-3)
5. Dwayne Bowe Randolph (Swarm) (4-5)
9. The Jeff Fisher King (loco88) (4-5)
10. Dead QB Society (DeimosRising) (1-8)

Season Best: 153.96 points (Mockingjaycutler, Week 8)
Season Worst: 48.34 points (Russell Wilson's War, Week 4)

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
May I suggest a memorial theme, all team names must reference Robin Williams films?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'd like to get in on this if someone drops out or whatever, sounds dope.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
MEEEEEE!

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Back for another season. Wondering if I should try and get that Season 1 Magic back by napping through the draft again.

A Robin Williams theme would be cool, but a little sad. I wouldn't hate a Michael Bay theme.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think, in following the trend we've set the past couple years, our theme should be the movies of either James Cameron, Wes Craven, George Clooney, David Croenenberg, Frank Capra, Alfonso Cuaron, or, my top choice:

Coppola Family Fantasy Football.

edit: there are a shitload of great directors whose last names start with C

edit 2: Frank Capra could give us some really good team names though. I had a whole list before I decided to save it in case we go with Capra so I can have a leg up on you jokers.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 13, 2014

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The draft is arbitrarily set for Saturday, August 30 at 3pm.

Other than this, I would love to join the league. I play in a league with friends and we draft on this same day/time.

If you'll have me, I know I don't have much CineD cred.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, can we swap the draft to a Sunday, if that is convienient for other people? I work 7AM until 10:30PM pretty much every Saturday (except the 23rd, but that's my birthday, so I'll be drinking), but I'm super off every Sunday.

loco88
Oct 24, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Same.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, can we swap the draft to a Sunday, if that is convienient for other people? I work 7AM until 10:30PM pretty much every Saturday (except the 23rd, but that's my birthday, so I'll be drinking), but I'm super off every Sunday.

The 31st is literally the ONE Sunday I can't do.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Sundays are fine with me.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

DeimosRising posted:

I'd like to get in on this if someone drops out or whatever, sounds dope.

MacheteZombie posted:

The draft is arbitrarily set for Saturday, August 30 at 3pm.

Other than this, I would love to join the league. I play in a league with friends and we draft on this same day/time.

These plus Gatts who was in last year make 11; just need one more person. PM me or post your emails here so I can get you in.

e: Or better yet just use this link.

Vargo posted:

May I suggest a memorial theme, all team names must reference Robin Williams films?

We could have a Williams Conference and a PSH Conference.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 20, 2014

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

These plus Gatts who was in last year make 11; just need one more person. PM me or post your emails here so I can get you in.

e: Or better yet just use this link.

We could have a Williams Conference and a PSH Conference.

Thanks for the invite.

Good luck against Fifty Shades of Ray, we plan to dish out weekly beatings.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We need one more team. What is theme?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It looks like either Coppola or Williams (Or Williams/PSH)

I'm voting Williams as it was my idea. Anyone else?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo posted:

It looks like either Coppola or Williams (Or Williams/PSH)

I'm voting Williams as it was my idea. Anyone else?

I like the idea of the two divisions.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I like the idea of the two divisions.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
We'd have to call the championship game the Patch Adams Bowl

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vargo posted:

We'd have to call the championship game the Patch Adams Bowl

I'd be okay with that.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
If you still need one and aren't terribly offended by my fresh regdate, I'd be down for this.
I do enjoy movies, if that helps seal the deal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ok, actually in now because I failed to notice the thread was in Armchair QB (where it belongs) until just now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Swarm posted:

If you still need one and aren't terribly offended by my fresh regdate, I'd be down for this.
I do enjoy movies, if that helps seal the deal.

As long as you play every week, that's what matters. You can click here to join.

PSH/Williams sounds good to me. I'll do it in the league now and mostly auto-organize it but if you have a specific preference for conference I'll shuffle you around.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
So far my best pun is "Kansas City Your Move Chiefs", but I could go either conference.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW

As long as you play every week, that's what matters.

Awesome, will do.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Dammit, we need a longer character limit, I really wanted "Before The Devil Knows You're Demarius."

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Vargo posted:

Dammit, we need a longer character limit, I really wanted "Before The Devil Knows You're Demarius."

This league has the best failed team names :mad:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vargo posted:

Demaryius. :eng101:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Suggestions for PSH division names:

Punt-Drunk Love
A Most Wanted Manning
Hail Mary and Max.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sorry I've been more absent than I'd like; I'm still open to changing the draft if it can accomodate more people. I can't do tomorrow night but would it help anyone if we did it earlier in the day?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sorry I've been more absent than I'd like; I'm still open to changing the draft if it can accomodate more people. I can't do tomorrow night but would it help anyone if we did it earlier in the day?

Saturday I have a draft at noon central time, then another one at 5 central time. I have a draft Monday at 7 or 8 as well. Sunday is no good for some people here (Vargo), so I'm fine with a draft tomorrow around 3, or moving it to later in the week like a Tuesday or Wednesday, although I can see how that might be cutting it to close to the season starting.

Edit: Moral of the story, don't play in 4 leagues.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No, where it is now is perfect for me, especially if it can't be moved later. I get off work at 3:45, so I'll end up doing at least the first few rounds on my phone/iPad, but I'll be available. I'm open to doing Sunday (though if Vargo is out that day, we probably can't) or Wednesday night as well.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I also realized I'm an idiot who never even glanced at or mentioned time zone. It's 3pm Mountain, i.e. 5pm Eastern.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Sunday's no good for me at this point too. Though I wouldn't hate pushing the draft back a few hours on Saturday.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Probably just gonna have to draft from my phone regardless today, so no fun chat times but I'll be there.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ok, Jumanijiovanibernard definitely wins best team name. :lol:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Ok, Jumanijiovanibernard definitely wins best team name. :lol:

It's no Dwayne Bowe Randolph

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I went with Hungry Hungry Hoffmans.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
DDDDRRRRAAAAAFFFFFFTTTTTT!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Is DNS actually 12 years old or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to note that Yahoo gave it's dumb Best Draft award to the auto drafter who has two kickers on their team.

Also, motherfucking ORTON.

• Locked thread