Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

halo reach was the best halo. I remember thinking about how bad the experience was going to be, and then the elites jumped out from the haystacks all motion blurred and actually dodging and poo poo. The whole campaign was pretty good. Halo 4's direction made me abandon the campaign after about 2 hours, but the multiplayer was still really good.

This collection still looks really fun though even without Reach. I'm sure others are in the same boat.. it's been so long since I've played matchmaking. Not having a 360, I've really missed how parties and multiplayer work on xbox live so well in halo to create fun with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lmao that people are surprised or angry they are releasing a halo collection for the xbone and praising the last of us remaster in another thread

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

let's not forget the worst thing about halo 2

talking aliens

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

edit: gently caress it's just that dumb book thing, the real game didn't ship :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i think each halo game in the collection should be rated 9.5 individually, then we can really take control of the metanet

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I guess bestbuy doesn't do release day delivery, kind of sucks for those of us who bought the gamer unlocked card

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 10, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

in halo 4, I was so into the intro sequence. the graphics were amazing and it felt like a really cool halo game. then a little while later cortana is saying something like 'oh no it's the didact' and cut scene to this talking orange dude who I've never heard of but the game is carrying on as if he's been in every halo game ever released. ugh how could they commit to a trilogy of this

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

delivery rescheduled because of holiday. why is this happening to only me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

reach did it first, no? albeit they were jetpacks, but I feel like a lot of the future parts of cod:aw remind me of halo reach mp.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I get my copy on saturday and am still looking forward to it immensely. Lol at 343 handing the console warriors another barrel of napalm though. jesus

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The thing is, this is the first exposure to the Xbox One for a lot of people, including PS4 owners, so it's kind of a loving disastrous first impression for Microsoft. It's their biggest IP. I think a fair few people skim over this.

maybe for some people, in the real world, not many people actually blow off their work day or school day to play halo or reads the forums anxiously too see if the game works or not. most people aren't even going to know/care about this in a few days. when christmas rolls around and all the boys and girls get their halo under the tree, they're probably not going to tell dad to return it because "343 is a questionable dev according to this chart, dad"

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 12, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

buy a new tv

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

got this in the mail today, expect to start playing an hour or two. I'm probably gonna try to play the sp games in order, coop partners welcome gt: InvadeFranceNow

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Grenades are so deadly in halo: CE, it's lovely. I forgot about the chain grenade explosions too.

I like really the swap button between the old and new graphics, I find myself using it way more than I thought I would. Game looks drat good at this framerate too.

The controller layouts are excellent, seems like they have a layout for everybody here.

welp, fully installed, I guess it's time to try the infamous multiplayer

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 14, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

Will the game launch and be single player-capable before downloading the 15 gig patch or is it one of those things where you have to be disconnected from the internet for the game to launch without waiting for that entire download? What percentage does it have to get to for the NA version to be playable?

I was able to play halo 1 and halo 4 minutes after inserting the disc. halo 2 and 3 downloaded next and multiplayer was last to be completed. it actually has a nifty download completion screen which breaks it down for you.

I played a zanzibar on halo 2 anniversary and it owned. then the teams unbalanced it it was less fun. matchmaking takes forever too. obvoiusly matchmaking is poo poo and they need to fix it, but the match I played when it was balanced was really fun.

suddenly apparent was the lack of double jump and sprint :magical:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 14, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

a cop posted:

If this is just Halo 4 without loadouts/perks and with weapons on map it'll at least be enjoyable.

yeah that's my opinion of it. 343 really gets it with halo 2 anniversary where the mp is basically the perfect halo formula sans the currently broken matchmaking (it's going to be fixed anyways). This gives me hope they will fix what was wrong with halo 4 mp, which in my opinion was limited to the loadouts/perks like you said. halo 5 is looking to be really promising mp wise.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bobtista posted:

343 didn't do h2a, it was outsourced to a potentially capable developer because they're too busy loving up halo 5

Thanks for that info, bobtista, always in the right thread when you need him

anyways, 343 is 343 to me, and I don't spend time picking apart their dev process. we'll see if the game is good or not when it comes out, but for now I have hope for it since like I said, halo 4 mp was fine except for the perks/loadouts

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Matchmaking is still slow as gently caress to me

same, and the teams are about 60% of the time unbalanced

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Fine. Were you expecting everyone to congratulate 343? Were you expecting anyone to take kindly to you talking about how awesome your company's game is when it's barely even playable?

i dont know what kind of post this is, but it puts a bad taste in my mouth like a SJW post. a real bad taste

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

queeb posted:

Holy gently caress this is still going. I left for dinner with the family and drinks, and 4 hours later it's still going. Lol at consoles.

my download completed in 2 hours with a slower connection, his has been stuck at around 80% for 2 hours

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It will soon enough
Our game is new and broke let them have their day in the sun

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

he said after he joined the bandwagon for hyping a game he is judging on a YouTube video of a multiplayer beta and getting upset at anyone who hints that they don't think it will be the most amazing game of all time

dude likes halo, and you don't. halo is and always has been unpopular on the forums so you feel very comfortable posting about how much you don't like halo even though it has no real relevance to us, the people who are buying halo. Now I'm not saying this game is good in the matchmaking department because it's not, but I'm pretty sure all of your posts are worse and less relevant than his, at least he is posting cool videos about halo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

who said anything about not liking Halo? I had fun with them playing on the original Xbox, but I don't think they hold up that well today, and 343 seem to be generally incompetent at times, so it's fun to watch. sorry I didn't realise this was the hug box.

this is exactly the kind of general non specific crap that I find not relevant. you contribute nothing at all to my intellect with this speech. maybe if this was page one but we all get the loving point!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stux posted:

That really is not fact paced at all. It seems slower than advanced warfare let alone something actually quick like quake.
it looks like the same pace as halo 2. I honestly haven't played quake in years but halo was definitely always a lot slower I think

and what bugs are in the campaign? the campaign has been flawless for me so far, unlike the mp

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah I think there's even a context box somewhere that says ranking doesn't work yet

pretty shameful when the mp worked fine on the og xbox in 2004, but that at least gives me hope it will all be fixed

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is my life now:negative:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 15, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i just want to play some halos :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Sorry this looks dumb. I can't wait to get matched up with idiots, go down 3-0, be forced to play through more rounds of a game we can't possibly win, then sit at a black screen for minutes on end after the match because Halo.

obviously you are not cut out for the ranks of xbox live

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol doesn't even wait for the game to be patched. I just friended you too :blush:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

people please don't buy an xbone just for halo right now

I have been getting into some good matches today though

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lmao if you think they're going to completely rewrite the netcode when they wouldn't even fix minor bugs in Halo 4...

im not sure it has to be completely rewritten i guess, seems as salvageable as many other games that had launch issues

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 15, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When literally 20-25 of the former best players in the country can't get anything remotely resembling consistency then you're going to need a crazy overhaul. These are guys that do not miss on LAN and have freakish reaction times. The lead is different for each player, we're hitting people by shooting behind them in some cases, split screen doesn't display right, they changed the bullet velocity so host is leading less and everyone else is just doing guesswork, people are falling through walls/floors, shields aren't flashing when people are having bullets bounce off of them, you can light up a camo guy and do zero damage/still get zero aim assist, etc.

Once I'm in game playing i don't see any of this and it just feels like halo 2, in which I also had a few laggy games once in a while. Is this on video or something of these 'former best players' because my problems have largely been matchmaking issues.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

he's very mad

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

very mad about halo right now

lmao goons who return games with launch issues

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm also not naive enough to put faith in a company that produced Halo 4 and never fixed a ton of minor issues to actually address a problem with a game that is now fundamentally broken. If you think a patch can fix the game then you're retarded.

you bought a xbox one three days ago lol

for this game aloone

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

-A n i m 8- posted:

I have no idea about the half of the stuff you talking about

me neither

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The netcode is definitely the #1 issue. However, the people who have LAN'ed the game, which should produce the least defects the current netcode can muster, are noticing awful hit registration even on LAN. Not to mention how you lead your shots is fundamentally different but we all could get used to that if we could feasibly play the game consistently.

i really think the lan will be fixed though

the netcode part is bullshit

they can fix what I've seen, unless they are as you say not interested in fixing it, which is contrary to their blog posts

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cubey posted:

hahahaha this explains so goddamn much

christ it's not like he's leading the coding team at 343's secret multiplayer labs

the issues calvin is describing are far overblown

he used the word 'netcode'

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got advanced warfare and it worked perfectly day 1 on PS4. I bought the biggest title microsoft has and it feels like some exercise in schadenfreude. I literally have never played a more bugged game in my entire life. It's such a joke that they managed to gently caress up LAN too. It's just absurd on so many levels.

literally the first thing I thought when loading up and playing halo 2 anniversary was thank god this netcode is better than cod:aw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

I don't have the faintest idea how this is even remotely possible.

I have yet to be shot around a corner and the kill cam show me three feet out from behind it

• Locked thread