Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

-A n i m 8- posted:

Ok, so what is the top FPS company currently? Srs question.

I got advanced warfare and it worked perfectly day 1 on PS4. I bought the biggest title microsoft has and it feels like some exercise in schadenfreude. I literally have never played a more bugged game in my entire life. It's such a joke that they managed to gently caress up LAN too. It's just absurd on so many levels.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

-A n i m 8- posted:

Just because COD4 successfully murdered the industry and it's been going backwards for ten years doesn't make it acceptable for everyone to produce garbage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

-A n i m 8- posted:

the one that made the new wolfenstein

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6eZF7518-w

Do your average games usually look like this? This is just from the Illinois LANs and nothing in that vid is anything you wouldn't see at an average gathering of people who got paid 6 figures a year to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgj2YtOfff0

^I'm bottom screen if you want to compare the experience I'm expecting versus what I paid for. Just look at our average shot count. I've been shooting people in a straight line and not popped their shields. And yeah, I go 40-4 in public servers but that doesn't change the fact the game is literally unplayable at a high level.

I'm kind of amazed they hosed all of that up given how hard the game was marketed to series veterans and only to series veterans.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

univbee posted:

I'm kind of amazed they hosed all of that up given how hard the game was marketed to series veterans and only to series veterans.

It'd be a different story if there was zero progress and the game played like XBC (which, again, was made by one person without manipulating the game code...) but the game is regressive in every sense of the word. We had three solid games that were fit for competitive play that each came with a smaller skill gap. Ever since 343 came along the community can't even get MLG to consider it again - a company which could potentially generate a lot more longevity for the series.

Competitive play is good for everyone. You don't have to be hardcore into the game to appreciate that. I loved the game because I literally saw myself getting better and the skill gap kept growing even a decade after it came out. When you shoot 6 shots and drop 2 people you knew you earned that in the original. Now when I kill someone I just think about how retarded it looked or how I would've actually missed on LAN but got lucky. The same guys that hang with me on LAN are losing by 20-30 in 8 man FFA's and my host is 50mb up/down. We had less lag on DSL in 2003 with 10% of the bandwidth, tops.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 15, 2014

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
did you get rejected or something

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

he's very mad

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

very mad about halo right now

lmao goons who return games with launch issues

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
consider this the result of waiting 10 years just to get a shittier version of the ghetto setup we've had since 2001.

edit: name a game that was this hosed up at release; i've literally never seen it. I'm also not naive enough to put faith in a company that produced Halo 4 and never fixed a ton of minor issues to actually address a problem with a game that is now fundamentally broken. If you think a patch can fix the game then you're retarded. Changing bullet velocity? :psyduck: Yeah, let's just change a fundamental aspect of the game and skew host more.

If you're seriously vouching for a company that had a TEAM of programmers produce something less effective than what one guy made as a hobby then I don't know what to tell you.

"I talked to a guy that worked on the Halo PC port project way back in the day and he tried explaining to me how they got internet to work and I remember thinking that it sounded loving insane. Like a human centipede of functions within the code"

Yeah, this game runs worse than H:PC.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 15, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm also not naive enough to put faith in a company that produced Halo 4 and never fixed a ton of minor issues to actually address a problem with a game that is now fundamentally broken. If you think a patch can fix the game then you're retarded.

you bought a xbox one three days ago lol

for this game aloone

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
I have no idea about the half of the stuff you talking about

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

-A n i m 8- posted:

me neither

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
he's saying that there are problems with the netcode, hit detection etc.

reminds me of cs source

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

-A n i m 8- posted:

explains the lovely rear end game you were directly/indirectly a part of; you literally had a loving league of extremely talented players that Bungie used to tweak Halo 2/3. Guess which games are considered the most fun/successful in the series?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Calvin if I'm understanding the root cause of your issue, basically the fact that you have to go through XBL where they implement really odd lag compensation algorithms is what's messing up the high-level play, and the fact that you can't do straight LAN anymore is why you're sure this won't be fixed?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
just checked the internal email thread... holy poo poo lol

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

-A n i m 8- posted:

anim8 i think youre a generally p cool dude

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

-A n i m 8- posted:

Does anybody else from 343 read this thread? They should make an account and post.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

-A n i m 8- posted:

#wikileaks that poo poo the people must know

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
#bringbackourservers

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

univbee posted:

Calvin if I'm understanding the root cause of your issue, basically the fact that you have to go through XBL where they implement really odd lag compensation algorithms is what's messing up the high-level play, and the fact that you can't do straight LAN anymore is why you're sure this won't be fixed?

The netcode is definitely the #1 issue. However, the people who have LAN'ed the game, which should produce the least defects the current netcode can muster, are noticing awful hit registration even on LAN. Not to mention how you lead your shots is fundamentally different but we all could get used to that if we could feasibly play the game consistently.

Halo 1 released perfectly. Halo 2 perfectly. Halo 3 released perfectly. I didn't really care about Reach/4. Now we get a re-release that is somehow more hosed up than the original games? Please tell me about these mysterious games that get released this broken.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The netcode is definitely the #1 issue. However, the people who have LAN'ed the game, which should produce the least defects the current netcode can muster, are noticing awful hit registration even on LAN. Not to mention how you lead your shots is fundamentally different but we all could get used to that if we could feasibly play the game consistently.

i really think the lan will be fixed though

the netcode part is bullshit

they can fix what I've seen, unless they are as you say not interested in fixing it, which is contrary to their blog posts

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wait does this game even allow for straight LAN play without going through Xbox Live?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

is there video of this issue. that would be helpful

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

-A n i m 8- posted:

hahahaha this explains so goddamn much

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cubey posted:

hahahaha this explains so goddamn much

christ it's not like he's leading the coding team at 343's secret multiplayer labs

the issues calvin is describing are far overblown

he used the word 'netcode'

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

univbee posted:

Wait does this game even allow for straight LAN play without going through Xbox Live?

No, because the Xbox has to ping a connection to Live. It's basically DRM.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
i just animate boobs, i have no idea guys

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

i really think the lan will be fixed though

the netcode part is bullshit

they can fix what I've seen, unless they are as you say not interested in fixing it, which is contrary to their blog posts

I believe they'll fix matchmaking; do I think they'll fix a game that is essentially 1/5 of their product? No, at least not in a way that will make the game consistent. It's pretty obvious they just borrowed from the PC version (which is notorious for its netcode) and didn't create anything on their own. They could've just made all hit detection client-side and people would be happier dying after they got behind walls than just rolling the dice when they 1 on 1 pistol someone in their skill level.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

seems weird they'd leave that in after removing the DRM stuff though as its not like pirated games on the 360 couldn't be played online, so just pinging live doesn't establish anything

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Man, I'm just feeling lucky that I'm poo poo enough at the Halo to just blame myself for dying like a scrub all the time. Other players seem to have like zero problems murdering the gently caress outta me. Maybe I'm the missing link to fixing hit detection as all the games are somehow homing in on my face, it seems. Or maybe I've broken the internet.

Man, feeling just like Bruce McCullough did right now. Bummer http://youtu.be/WP3X0dSV9kI?t=1m51s

pvax fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I'm asking because, for example, Starcraft 2 went Battle.net only and you must go through Battle.net to play, there is no LAN support, so if Battle.net is having issues that can impact a "local" game regardless of how good your LAN actually is.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

univbee posted:

I'm asking because, for example, Starcraft 2 went Battle.net only and you must go through Battle.net to play, there is no LAN support, so if Battle.net is having issues that can impact a "local" game regardless of how good your LAN actually is.

I'm just getting my information based on this tweet by a 343 employee :lol: https://twitter.com/chespace/status/497433385921298432?s=09

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Remember when Bungie used to bring in top players to playtest/provide input? Yeah, that's when Halo was fun. If any sort of game has a high skill gap then it's going to be fun for everyone because you'll tangibly see yourself get better. There's no real way to pair four players of equal skill in a 2 v 2 and not have host decide the match before the game starts. If you were playing basketball would you want the hoop to drastically change sizes/height/distance for every shot? You'll be able to estimate what the most likely arc to make a shot is but you'll never be consistent at it and that's boring as gently caress.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got advanced warfare and it worked perfectly day 1 on PS4. I bought the biggest title microsoft has and it feels like some exercise in schadenfreude. I literally have never played a more bugged game in my entire life. It's such a joke that they managed to gently caress up LAN too. It's just absurd on so many levels.

literally the first thing I thought when loading up and playing halo 2 anniversary was thank god this netcode is better than cod:aw

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Remember when Bungie used to bring in top players to playtest/provide input?

343 do that more than Bungie ever did.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

literally the first thing I thought when loading up halo 2 anniversary was thank god this is netcode is better than cod:aw

Halo 2 runs as well as it did in 2004 but that isn't saying much when the matchmaking is broken and putting people on 3 different teams and poo poo. AW runs perfect for me on PS4.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

343 do that more than Bungie ever did.

Not according to the people that actually used to do visits. They also completely wrote off large scale tournament play with the XBL pinging bullshit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

literally the first thing I thought when loading up and playing halo 2 anniversary was thank god this netcode is better than cod:aw

I don't have the faintest idea how this is even remotely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

I don't have the faintest idea how this is even remotely possible.

I have yet to be shot around a corner and the kill cam show me three feet out from behind it

• Locked thread