Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

MCC has gone gold!!!!!

...and yet it will require a 20 gig patch at launch. This is apparently what "gone Gold" means now. You may want to consider a digital pre-load if playing at midnight is really important to you (assuming the patch will be either downloadable before that or incorporated into the pre-load somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

And the Master Chief Collection contains every Master Chief game.

:colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

A vain attempt to try and recapture our glory days of playing games in high school with our friends.

"That's what I love about about Xbox Live players. I get older, they stay the same age, heh heh, yes they do, yes they do..."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

You can preload the patch.

Only if you're buying it digitally, though, correct?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There are redone high resolutuon CGI for every single cutscene in Halo 2. All the old scenes that were done in-engine are now replaced with CGI. It takes up a huge amount of space.

No? There's less than an hour of cutscenes and if properly compressed with modern codecs can fit in about 4 gigs or thereabouts, possibly even less depending on the composition of certain scenes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

4 gigs out of 50 is a huge amount

4 gigs is on the high end, though, and I've seen stuff look great with half that data amount. It's also in the realm of tweakability to help make things fit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

:laugh:

Think I'm going digital for this one, though that'll fill a lot of my HDD. How big the whole thing?

If what they say about the 20 gigs being extra data not present on the disc is true, probably 65 gigs. Might be worth asking someone who pre-loaded what theirs says (and if they have a way of telling if they got the 20 gig patch or not).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

It's not a patch it's content. You don't want to swap disks mid MP. Say Halo 2 is on Disk 1 and Halo 3 is on Disk 2 and you are playing a playlist that involves both games...

You know the 360 has a ton of games that ship with an unplayable installation disc, and a play disc with the remaining data, right?

Most GOTY editions of games do exactly this (DLC on the unplayable disc and the play disc is just the vanilla game), as does GTA 5, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Wolfenstein NWO...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

C411 posted:

They know, Halo 4 had an unplayable installation disc for multiplayer.

gently caress, I forgot about that. And that was to address this exact problem (multiplayer content too big to include on the main disc), too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So the best game of this generation so far comes out on a piece of poo poo console I don't want to splurge 350 quid on. Cut the price in Europe Microsoft. :smith:

Here, just over 300 quid

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Halo 2 was on 360, right? :downs:

It was playable on 360 (as long as you had an authentic Microsoft hard drive), that's good enough. :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't understand. You can still play it online on the PC.

But you'd have to get it on physical media and seriously, what the poo poo Microsoft?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Booties posted:

I thought it was smaller than that, but I think you may be. Just google it to see if they mentioned that a few weeks ago when they opened up the download. Something tells me they did because nerds get mad over that poo poo.

There is no method to pre-load the patch for physical purchases, apparently, and the update hasn't gone live for digital pre-loads yet either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Does it work with hard copies?

Nope, although it sounds like the patch might be a "Microsoft 20", as it seems to be more like 15 gigs, and brings the final game size to 59.1 gigs (might be different for European SKU's, I guess).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a legit complaint though. It goes pretty fast on my internet but its still annoying, and on slower bandwidth or if you have data caps then that's a huge pain in the rear end. Why couldn't they just give us 2 discs, install and play discs like plenty of games have had?

Reminder that Halo 4, the previous Halo game, had exactly the same problem (game too big for one disc) and solved the problem by putting the multiplayer data (2 gigs :eyepop:) on an install-only 2nd disc, which you could also download over the internet if you hated the idea of doing a single lifetime disc swap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

How long will it approximately take to download the day one update?

This is dependent on way too many factors, including your internet speed and how fast Live pushes it downstream, to give a straight answer.

If you have a 5 megabit connection and get full speed on it you're looking at just over 6.5 hours of constant downloading, if you have a 30 megabit connection it'll be a little over an hour etc.

Although bear in mind Microsoft will have to push this update to everyone who buys a physical copy so it could very well slow things down.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

empathe posted:

Blu-Ray's too expensive for double disc, yo.

Ahaha what the gently caress is this? You know double-disc Blu-ray movies are the norm, right? I have several PS3 game sets on multiple discs, too. poo poo's pennies.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

empathe posted:

What planet are you guys living on that you think the cost of including a second disc in a massive production run of a game amounts to the cost of the second blank blu-ray?

Yes, certainly the cost-effective solution to pressing discs that are pennies each to make is to push 15 petabytes of data in a single day at launch with an online infrastructure that's already got spotty reliability.

This is the first game to require over 50 gigs in its "core" game but tons of Blu-ray movies ship on two discs. Or hell, check it:

Fifteen discs (6 dual-layered Blu-rays and 9 DVD's) and I can buy it for $40 Canadian. With free shipping.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 7, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

I think I can finally get the GT3 next year.

loving hell, grinding in Forza takes a long time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

what sorcery is this?

Dude went back in time to 2001.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

whoknew posted:

The amount of bitching in this thread is insane.

Don't apologize for a company being unable to deliver on what they promised. People paid for a product, it turned out to be broken, they have every right to be upset. People scrambling to defend them and make excuses is why companies keep releasing broken products and getting away with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't think I like this new Cortana model you've done.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I am literally going to 343 studios and punching someone the gently caress out

No, don't say that! They'll revoke your ID@XBOX game. :ohdear:

Just get a 360 and replace Halo 2 with Halo Reach.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sedisp posted:

This poo poo was broken at PAX kiddo.

They had server issues even during the tournament. There was literally only one game happening and they couldn't even get that working consistently.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Halo MCC should in no way be indicative of Halo 5 quality. This is as hacked together of a game as it comes.

Quit jumping to conclusions based on side projects. Halo 5 is their Make or Break game. They either earn our trust with it, or they fizzle off into Free to Play nothingness

Why are you humoring them again?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We are also long past the point where copies of specific games are in short supply, especially with digital downloading if that's how you want to do things. If Halo 5 turns out to be amazing and gets a 98 Metacritic review score you can buy it the day of. No, seriously, you can, it'll be totally fine, I promise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

a cop posted:

It's been like this since the 360/ps3 gen, unless it's a special case like EDF.

Even that isn't too hard. Literally bought EDF2017 for $5 from a large retailer about 2 months ago, and basically all of those games going forward will be available digitally.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How about we wait until we actually have the opportunity to play the game before we start making judgments?

You mean a week after it launches?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Will the game launch and be single player-capable before downloading the 15 gig patch or is it one of those things where you have to be disconnected from the internet for the game to launch without waiting for that entire download? What percentage does it have to get to for the NA version to be playable?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Stream to see how long this takes to install is live, will put the disc in in about 5 minutes. :siren:

Games Installed Quick 2014

http://www.twitch.tv/univbee

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anim8 are Cortana's boobs super-fine in H2A? Because I'm 1h36m into my stream and it's still not playable how in the gently caress.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1 hour 51 minutes and 36 seconds to install Halo 2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The perfect end to my stream, ethanol showed me a thing or two.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

people please don't buy an xbone just for halo right now

This so hard.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6eZF7518-w

Do your average games usually look like this? This is just from the Illinois LANs and nothing in that vid is anything you wouldn't see at an average gathering of people who got paid 6 figures a year to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgj2YtOfff0

^I'm bottom screen if you want to compare the experience I'm expecting versus what I paid for. Just look at our average shot count. I've been shooting people in a straight line and not popped their shields. And yeah, I go 40-4 in public servers but that doesn't change the fact the game is literally unplayable at a high level.

I'm kind of amazed they hosed all of that up given how hard the game was marketed to series veterans and only to series veterans.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Calvin if I'm understanding the root cause of your issue, basically the fact that you have to go through XBL where they implement really odd lag compensation algorithms is what's messing up the high-level play, and the fact that you can't do straight LAN anymore is why you're sure this won't be fixed?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wait does this game even allow for straight LAN play without going through Xbox Live?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

No, because the Xbox has to ping a connection to Live. It's basically DRM.

I'm asking because, for example, Starcraft 2 went Battle.net only and you must go through Battle.net to play, there is no LAN support, so if Battle.net is having issues that can impact a "local" game regardless of how good your LAN actually is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

literally the first thing I thought when loading up and playing halo 2 anniversary was thank god this netcode is better than cod:aw

I don't have the faintest idea how this is even remotely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

Looking at our data logs, server-side adjustments that we have made over the past 24 hours have shown a 20% increase in server connectivity.

So 6 people got a 4v2 game going?

• Locked thread