Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

I think it's mostly "gently caress authority" thinking. Kinda sad that that's the moral and ethical way to think so often these days in America.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Or maybe anon is a catch-all term for a diverse group of people who's demographics and political beliefs aren't limited to /pol/?

How about we agree on "both are fair presumptions that can't be disproven, and attempting to weigh which one is more applicable would be really loving hard to find evidence for" and not go into some pissing match when everyone is on the same side here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Show all your conservative friends and family that Wapo video. If you believe that business owners have the right to not have their daily operation compromised by the government - if you believe in the existence of private property - you can't be on the police's side here.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The fear of the wrong person getting blamed should be lighting a fire under the police's rear end. The best course of action for finding the murderer should be doxing Ferguson officers down the list. It can't even be argued that they are innocent bystanders, as they all have the capacity to whistleblow and are instead falling in line with the department.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

on the left posted:

Collective punishment is cool and desirable when done to groups we don't like!

When it is to people who are covering up and supporting a murder? Because we are supposed to have laws against that kind of thing, it is called aiding and abetting.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 14, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Obviously not a fan of militarization of police or FPD right now but why "scapegoat" and make the dude or his family a potential target to crazy people?

Fear of reprisal should never be an appropriate reason to deny information about the murder of a citizen by a taxpayer-funded employee of the government for this long.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

this_is_hard posted:

well they've leaked the audiotapes of the police dispatch and they claim to have a video of Ferguson PD putting Mike Brown's dead body in to the back of a police SUV before any EMS actually arrive, so i'd say yeah there is a bit of a reason to follow them

That audiotape turned out to be publically available through a subscription service, so that was essentially a bluff they hoped would get the ball rolling. I think if anyone had that kind of video, it would already be out by now.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

chairface posted:

Yeah let's see what happens when everyone doesn't go home nicely after dark.

At this point I don't think we need to be afraid of that. Cooler heads are well aware that the state is now the laughing stock of the country and are going to work to change that. We may not see a response to the shooting itself in as timely a manner as we'd like or as is deserved, but the worst is probably over.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've been hearing that it's supposed to be a matter of public record and the local cops have been hiding it behind procedure - can anyone confirm that? Because if that's true then it's just a matter of time before it comes out.

quote:

Except as provided in subsections 4, 5, 6 and 7 of this section, if any portion of a record or document of a law enforcement officer or agency, other than an arrest report, which would otherwise be open, contains information that is reasonably likely to pose a clear and present danger to the safety of any victim, witness, undercover officer, or other person … that portion of the record shall be closed and shall be redacted from any record made available pursuant to this chapter.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C600-699/6100000100.HTM

No dice in Ferguson. The specific requirements are going to differ by state and city, and here they are so broadly worded that the department could conceivably never release it unless they are compelled to by criminal charges.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Sir Rolo posted:

Thuggish behavior:

Carrying any object that could be perceived by a police officer as a firearm, such as a cell phone, a food item, or nothing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Neo Duckberg posted:

Looks like more bloods have arrived

I thought you were calling them NAACPs?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'd like to see some statistics or anecdotes on how the protesting will affect businesses in the area, as that may be the thing that actually gets the ball rolling on permanent changes. It would be awful if black-owned small businesses were the only ones that got hurt as they would be the ones least likely to give financial support to the police or city government.

Unfortunately I know this has been a pretty big boon to gun stores in majority-white areas.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, you'd have to let a lot less of the little things go with just a warning.

Only if Obama is actually impeached over the Obamacare delay bullshit, ha ha.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah. So, what happened to the local police? Are they still tromping around or were they all sent home to think about what they've done?

Probably a matter of "get on the phone with a lawyer and get all your affairs in order if you wanna come out of this looking good". To everyone, not just the shooter. Don't have a source for that, but god almighty that's what I'd be saying if I was in charge.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, is it a crime (on paper, I'm not naive enough to think it is in reality) for the police to point guns at people unnecessarily, like it is for civilians?

Yes.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1418128.html

quote:

We conclude that a reasonable jury could find that Renbarger violated the plaintiffs' clearly established right to be free from excessive force when he seized and held them by pointing his firearm at them when there was no hint of danger.   As a result, Renbarger is not entitled to qualified immunity.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

I get "that page doesn't exist", what are you going for?

Pictures of a police report alleging that Michael Brown and Dorian Johnson had robbed the QuikTrip.

Remember guys, the police specifically did not arrest Dorian Johnson after the shooting and instead drove away. We have several days of media interviews confirming the police not only did not interview him, but are dodging requests by his attorney to be interviewed. If any of your nutter friends or family are swayed by this crap, tell them that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Schiavona posted:

When are we going to see the Coroner's report? Or have we already? I'm probably behind in the facts of the case, are we absolutely 100% sure where Brown was shot (e.g. front/back)?

The preliminary autopsy report was "he was shot", further details are said to be released only after a toxicology report which was supposed to take weeks.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, what, exactly? If they had shot Saddam in his spider hole as he surrendered, maybe there would be a point to this, but he was executed after a lengthy trial where he was convicted of crimes against humanity.

The point is that Saddam Hussein was treated better than an unarmed American was. Saddam was a mass-murderer and was given his choice of sugary breakfast cereals in prison, and couldn't get enough Doritos. Michael Brown was shot with his hands in the air and we're talking about how the officer may or may not have been influenced by knowing whether Michael had stolen some cigars. You can't get a more obvious double standard than that kind of comparison.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I haven't seen anything on who foots the bill on parts - it could be the federal government in partial or full.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TrixR4kids posted:

So I'm reading through the thread trying to catch up. Do we know for sure if Brown was shot in the back from a distance, while running away? (I know people have said 35 feet, not sure where that comes from). Just want to know what exactly is known and not merely spceulated about the actual shooting itself.

Multiple witnesses have said he started running away after the first shot, then came to a complete stop and put his hands in the air before the fatal shots.

Unfortunately so much of this story is never going to be more than 'speculation'. The Ferguson police claim that the officer was treated for a head injury caused by Michael Brown, but have not released or even confirmed the existence of any evidence pointing to that. We don't even know for a fact how many times Brown was shot, as the results of his autopsy will not be released until after a full toxicology report that the department said is supposed to take weeks.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

D_I posted:

Love the jumping through hoops in this thread to justify criminal activity.

But I haven't seen more than like one person say the cop was justified for murder?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Teddybear posted:

Aren't the only people saying that he robbed the store the police? And that includes the store itself who said it wasn't him?

The store didn't report it at the time.

There's a lot of misinformation going around, which is the intention of the Ferguson police in releasing this and no information about the actual shooting. The police officer who approached Michael Brown on the street did not know that Michael Brown was the suspect of the robbing, or even that the robbing had taken place.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

L-Boned posted:

People need to drop the college bound garbage. Based on the video of him, it is more likely he was prison bound.

Before anyone responds to this...

quote:

Anyway, I used to enjoy SA, but it is pretty much intolerable now. I am a moderate (shocking I bet to most of you). I voted for Obama in '08 but voted Libertarian in 2012 because both candidates suck. I will say this much. If the people of this country don't pull their heads out of their asses and stop getting their news from US news sites, this country is hosed. One of my friends who lives in Britain asked me why this case was such a big deal. I said because the media is like the weather channel. They are in it now for ratings, not journalistic integrity. Well, they sure got their ratings. Now the rest of us have to deal with it. So, continue to be bitter towards George Zimmerman, but your anger is misplaced.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Rachel Maddow circle jerk. And for the LSU tard, I actually had to look up what a freep actually was. Also, you're racist.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SectumSempra posted:

At face value all this situation should have been/should be is

1-Cop is patrolling, and stops because he sees someone in the street, without weapon, stops them for the purpose of getting them out of the street.
2-Something happens
3-Cop shoots person

Am I missing something?
We have to wait until #2 is solved.

There is no concievable way to fill in #2 in a way that justifies #3 in the way that known physical evidence shows.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Amos Moses posted:

Kind of. A situation got violent because people made bad decisions. The whole thing turned into a three ring circus. People chose to be lovely and it resulted in bad noise.

This is pretty brutal. Take everything away from this and get down to brass tacks.. race, robbery, whatever, was it necessary to gun the guy down? Couldn't you get back in your car and call for assistance? Ignore me I'm going to crawl back under my rock this poo poo is mind boggling.

Pomp's point was that for a lot of people, absolutely nothing that happened during the fatal shooting mattered - they knew what to think about the victim the moment they saw him doing "ethnic urban youth" things. Had a photo where he had alcohol or marijuana in the picture? Welp, case closed, he deserved it. Don't need to hear or see anything else, guilty guilty guilty.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

bassguitarhero posted:

We need to know how many shots total were fired in order to know. 7 minimum if gun was fired in car (plus we should know where bullet went in car), witness I spoke to yesterday said 11, some say a full clip. The exact number of shots is important and I'm not sure why that number isn't known.

Checking the magazine of the officer's weapon would have given a near-exact answer (depending on if he actually loaded it to full, or potentially full+1), but with the sheer incompetence the department has shown I would not be surprised if they just let him run off with his duty weapon right after the shooting.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean 'by in order to know'. In order to know what? What does the number of shots change?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

pathetic little tramp posted:

20 years after it was first released, people still want more Donkey Kong, even answering that way when a reporter asks about a completely unrelated issue.

On the right wing hate talk this morning, I heard some the host saying it was police policy that whenever you pull out your gun, you have to empty the clip, so while some people are upset about the sheer number of shots, that's just what his job demands!

Anyone know what the hell he's talking about?

Completely and utterly bonkers.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My opinion of Captain Johnson changes every hour between "company man" and "decent human being"

I'm gonna attribute the questionable things he does to the sheer stress he's under - the man is probably not getting more than 5 hours of sleep a night, and the whole nation, including the President of the United States, is expecting him to guide an end to the protests. He can't complain too loudly without having his effectiveness called into question, so he doesn't have any outlet. You're gonna make mistakes when you're put in that kind of position.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

chitoryu12 posted:

lying on a report would be viewed much like if a a defendant lied to the police.

Awww, that's precious you think that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
It was not reported by any store employee because it would be an admission that they had sold tobacco to someone with an expired license.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure theft doesn't count as a sale and if he'd been able to buy them he probably wouldn't have stolen them in a blatant way.

He did pay. The clerk tried to undo the sale.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

T. Bombastus posted:

Is there a source for this besides the second surveillance video that was released? That footage alone doesn't make for particularly convincing evidence of anything.

It and the expired license are a whole lot more convincing than "well, the police say ___".

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah, it was name, date, location, ___________________________. Just completely blank.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/237538105/Michael-Brown-Offense-Report

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tenzarin posted:

I'm pretty sure if a cop asks who you are, you should tell them. I used to work at Bush Intercontinental Airport, you have to tell everyone, even citizens who you are and present your airport ID. How is this so foreign to people?

Assaulting someone is not the appropriate response to not being told their name. There is absolutely no need to do that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tenzarin posted:

White men can't jump
Don't be a Menace

I can't loving believe you think this is some kind of refutation to ethnic minorities being underrepresented in media. Please tell me this is just a joke, because if it is real then you're just speaking a completely alien language to me and there is no room for common ground.

Racial equality achieved in America.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 28, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Duffelblog is a pretty good site.

chitoryu12 posted:

The article about a SWATting kid getting 25-to-life for terrorism got posted seriously.

I found that one on a google search and believed it because that is so totally loving plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Captain Mog posted:

Is this guy even still in town? Why would he be?

If you have the entirety, or at least near entirety, of the governmental power structure backing you up, you don't have a lot to worry about.

Jack poo poo happened to George Zimmerman, and he wasn't even a white police officer. Ain't nothing happening to Darren Wilson.

• Locked thread