Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Well, I take back that this is hearkening back to Jim Crow. Jim Crow sheriffs didn't need tactical kneepads.

This is worse than Jim Crow. Also the no-fly zone is sure making me think of Gaza, which makes me think that we will in fact have barricaded ghettos within a decade. Oh, actually we seem to have a barricaded ghetto at this very moment! :wow:

e: Boy, good thing the cops are keeping that memorial from getting too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Neo Duckberg posted:

D&D.txt right here folks.

:blush:

Thanks for being on the ground.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Hey boy what are you doing here" "I'm reporting"

"For who"

"I-I'm reporting for the goons"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And there's absolutely no reason to believe the police account. Remember what the early press communications were about Brown?

meat sweats posted:

Al Sharpton is one of the few living Americans who can claim to have started two race riots. He is the ultimate con artist who doesn't care about killing people to make his buck. You don't have to support him to condemn the police executing Michael Brown and militarizing the city over the last three days. Shame on anyone who is trying to shoehorn their garbage pet issues into this.

Al Sharpton has put in more work and been more demonized than any man in the United States besides Jesse Jackson. He's not perfect and he's not in MLK's league but you are certainly using the exact language against him that Jim Crow whites used against MLK.

How do you start a "race riot" all by yourself? Are black people just that stupid?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

What exactly is Al Sharpton doing here? Is he bringing national attention to otherwise ignored events? No. Is he filling an unfilled role in organizing protests? No. The community is fully capable of action, why does a New York celebrity need to show up?

Generally protest movements benefit from celebrities, "New York" or otherwise, showing up. Is there any particular reason this protest is different? :allears::allears::allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's stupid, why is that any different from Mark Ruffalo going to Detroit? There's no point at which publicity is "enough." There's no reason for this to remain a local issue. And Ferguson leaders don't have enough experience in organizing a campaign with national attention. How could they?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I'm so confused by all the people arguing that a protest movement should only be centered around local leaders. The community and local leaders should be the primary voice and should definitely be at the forefront of the movement but to deny that outside protest leaders are unhelpful or unwanted de-legitimizes movements like Freedom Summer which were hugely successful and which had the backing of the community they came to. To say that national political figures should keep their hands off of a local protest movement ignores the agency of local leaders and activists who might actually want outside intervention and help from other activists.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense, but Google the phrase "race hustler" and everything should fall into place

SirKibbles posted:

Honestly I'm not a big fan of Al so I'll elaborate I don't have a problem with him coming to the protest as an individual but holy hell is he polarizing as gently caress and while calling him a race baiter is racist bullshit he does like the spotlight on him. But honestly that's not a problem limited to Al or Jessie that's an NAACP problem.

Is polarization inappropriate? Would you call the NAACP "outside agitators"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Are we supposed to respect those people or take their views into account?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I feel that the harm is that the spotlight will shift from the authentic voices of leaders like Antonio French to the appearances of Al Sharpton who is incapable of voicing community concerns in anything but generic terms.

The St. Louis NAACP is composed of community members who can lean on the support of the national organization. Jesse Jackson has commented, eloquently as usual, without drawing the spotlight to himself. Those are correct ways to support community activism.

Sharpton is also eloquent.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And for those who would draw a distinction between Jackson and Sharpton, surely you know that bigots never do. They always mention the two in the same breath. It's rather mainstream actually. I think it was Jay Leno who had the "Polaroid where Jesse Jackson appears in every photo" bit.

Sharpton must be doing something right to be placed in such august company. And the truth is, he has; he has been doing grassroots work since he was a teenager, since before he was James Brown's road manager. I can guarantee you that there are a bunch of St. Louis activists that he knows on a first name basis.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Everything's changed.

What's changed for people like Mike Brown?

e: and Trayvon Martin, Renisha McBride, Kenneth Chamberlain Sr. etc?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

For Brown, he was not even given the chance to integrate into white culture. While the schools had a successful integration program, that's gone away. Now, even kids don't get to know kids outside their race. Trayvon, Renisha, Kenneth were all accepted by their communities, and had a community larger than their block.

Its easier to say nothing has change than to admit change is a glacial and layered process. My argument is that St. Louis is unique in America with its brand of horridness, as it markets itself as a city while it runs itself with the social dynamics of a small town. The implication is that change to St. Louis must be designed solely for St. Louis, and that, while certain policy reforms would have a beneficial impact in the rest of America, those same policies implemented in St. Louis do nothing to address the root cause of its horridness and do nothing to change their implementation of policy.

What on earth? What makes you say Brown hadn't integrated? He graduated from high school and was going to college. How might he have signaled a sufficient degree of integration?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Something about "be in your homes by sundown" is familiar to me but I can't put my finger on it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Is there any real way to prevent yourself from being kettled by police?

How real we talkin' here

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Massive clouds of tear gas.

e: do they have any justification for this beyond "he throw bottle"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They've got the media on the run, what's happening in the block with the massive clouds?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Two teens in the other room facebooking away so out of curiosity I asked "hey either of you kids hear about ferguson or mike brown"

"who"

"a black kid in missouri got shot by the police"

"another one? oh dang"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

D_I posted:

This stream is awesome but the chat is all racist shitheads.

The chat is America

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Not that they have a large say, but Anon went from asking protesters to not be violent to calling it a revolution. God I hope people don't actually start fighting back they'd get slaughtered.

Don't worry, that whole township probably has all of a break-action shotgun and two .380 pistols in it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Play pretend, paranoid whites; collect an endless panoply of weapons that you'll never need to use. You literally are the police.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can you imagine what the response of the public would be if citizens put up even one barricade of burning tires?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

Well, if you let the IDF teach your police "supression" tactics don't be surprised when your country turns into the West Bank.

Ferguson al Sumud

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That Sharpton, always riling people up

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Neo Duckberg posted:

Made it to the action. At QT right now. Tear gs and flash bangs used a lot. I'm next to KSDK

A working camera will help keep you alive, Neo Duckberg

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

Haha nope.

This is honestly tamer than the 60's, even if the tech is newer.

It's tamer because the tools and techniques of suppression are more efficient. The sixties scared the poo poo out of business and every increase in armament since that time has been in some sense a reaction to it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Al Jazeera cameraman: "lololol"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

unwantedplatypus posted:

What about the other 60%?

SedanChair posted:

Two teens in the other room facebooking away so out of curiosity I asked "hey either of you kids hear about ferguson or mike brown"

"who"

"a black kid in missouri got shot by the police"

"another one? oh dang"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

He was considered as a possible VP nominee.

Was.

Is this supposed to be damaging? If he associates himself with the police response he will be a primary spoiler at the least.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TubeStank posted:

I, for one, can't see why a white dude going into a riot that's occurring due to racial issues would be a bad idea.

What the gently caress were you thinking??

Probably to get us some good information and show that this isn't just about black people, I don't know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

You are absolutely right. The State and private sector are more and more indistinguishable due to State privilege and corporate special interest lobbying. But small businesses still exist in this country. Entrepreneurs still make a go of it despite the legal obstacles placed in their path.

But you should know by now that, as an anarchist, I oppose the existence of the State and I would favor every effort to reduce its size, influence, and power.

But I would indeed not favor any sort of "privatization" that involves government grants, subsidies and special favors. The last thing we want or need is a military contractor, paid with tax dollars, substituting for local police. We don't need Blackwater policing our small towns. That is not privatization. That is just another example of State police protection, albeit one that benefits a certain special interest.

What I want is for the State to remove itself from the business of police protection. Then permit the people who actually live in those communities to decide what they should do for their collective defense. Then they should choose to pay for a contractor or defense company of their choosing. If the State were involved in any way in this decision, or artificially limited the choices available to that community, I would consider this NOT a free market and not representative of what I am proposing.

I admire the poo poo out of you jrodefeld, you are the greatest hero in the history of the internet. A black youth was murdered, a town is in the grip of violent suppression, but libertarians must be unconverted at all times through absurdity. It's true!

You are absolutely right. You are so right. It's when the corporate state fails most spectacularly and gruesomely that people have to be reminded what the logical conclusion of the brain rapists who entered Reagan must usher in. You cannot sleep jrodefeld. You must expose. You must convert. Think of all the people who you have pushed off the wagon of religious ancap insanity through your virtuoso performance art.

You will finish libertarianism, and for that you are literally a greater person than Nelson Mandela.

e: VVV you are thousands of times better than this guy, who is a great guy! and is putting his life on the line. But your service is the most precious treasure of the modern age.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This is a great picture

e: his pants are below his rear end get everyone!

EEEEEVERYONE!!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ohhh he's a good man and a great governor wee wee wee.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
sellout

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Are we? Are we united in common values sellout?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Maybe he should airdrop some copies of the audacity of hope to Ferguson, sellout punk sellout sellout.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
stuttering fat pig

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
outofhisdepth.png

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Claire McCaskill is speaking

e: first thing she says: "my priority is to demilitarize the response"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh but Claire McCaskill is just an outside agitator stirring things up, shouldn't we let the locals handle it?? Now it's all about her

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Neo Duckberg posted:

Tonight I will dump pictures. I will be on the other side of the police line hopefully.

Make sure you're backing up to the cloud or offsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And Obama went out of his way during his little speech to say "heckuva job" to Nixon.

• Locked thread