Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Let's not start talking about GiP, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm surprised Holder hasn't gone rogue and given a statement yet

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

The anti-militarization wave will probably disappear pretty quickly once all the tension dies off, but the difference between showing up kitted out with tactical gear and showing up with your regular gear and talking to the people involved is definitely night and day. People were angry because they were hurt and just acknowledging that and acknowledging them went so far.

Really, more than anti-militarization, the police need to be trained in empathy and de-escalation. This was a situation that could have been handled far easier on Saturday or Sunday night than waiting this long.

Yeah I don't actually think any of this equipment is a problem in and of itself (though we could have a conversation about increase in no-knock raids, etc), it's the idea that you should show up to a protest looking like you're ready to kill everyone. Like what the gently caress, whose idea was that?

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Feds won't back off the investigation once protests dies down (which they likely will in a few days), but no chance at tougher laws against cops.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

The equipment can be a problem in the sense that people mistake toys for good training. Rolling out fancy new things can be way sexier to voters than good police work

Sexier to cops, too, but yeah, giving them these toys makes them went to use them even when they aren't appropriate.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

the posted:

I like how the newly appointed cop to take over the security just happened to be a Black guy.

Well, he also happened to be someone from the local community who knew what the gently caress he was doing, so maybe a good choice?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Posted by Yamiche Alcindor from USA Today.

St Louis police chief.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Daynab posted:

Whitehouse.gov petition for a law requiring police to have cameras on them at all times: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/mike-brown-law-requires-all-state-county-and-local-police-wear-camera/8tlS5czf might be worth signing just because they have to address it, and near 18k signatures already.

Is that even something the feds can make happen?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Is the alderman guy Antonio French who was arrested last night still in prison?

No he was released this morning.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Does anyone know what database the NYT pulled this 1033 info from?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/us/surplus-military-equipment-map.html?smid=tw-nytimes

I've seen a few news organizations publishing similar data, so I assume it wasn't FOIAd, but I can't find it online

edit: bleh, they did FOIA it all the way back to 2000, just aren't publishing the raw data.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 16, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the Zimmerman case officially quashed that. It's now completely legitimate to use lethal force on someone unarmed as long as you think that they can kill or cripple you with their bare hands or the ground under your feet.

That's not related to Zimmerman. If there's a legitimate threat on your life, you can use lethal force, unarmed or not.

edit: There were some stand your ground aspects in Zimmerman, but actual police officers are not under obligation to retreat.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 17, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Johnson orders two journos arrested, but they're free now

https://twitter.com/robcrilly

What an odd choice to send him there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

This is over at the police staging point, not near the front line

No I just meant the Telegraph sending a British correspondent noted for his coverage of Darfur and Pakistan.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Rollofthedice posted:

Prelim autopsy, we'll know more later (within a few days?) Could he have been shot from the side, in the arms? That might explain witness confusion a bit. '

Probably not.

quote:

“This one here looks like his head was bent downward,” he said, indicating the wound at the very top of Mr. Brown’s head. “It can be because he’s giving up, or because he’s charging forward at the officer.”
One of the bullets shattered Mr. Brown’s right eye, traveled through his face, exited his jaw and re-entered his collarbone.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

natetimm posted:

So, I'm betting what side of his arms the bullets entered on is going to tell the story. If you're holding your hands up near your head to fight, chances are the bullets would enter the forward facing sides of your arms in a fighting stance, which would actually be the outward facing edge. If you're holding your hands above your head completely, the bullets would actually enter the undersides of your arms instead of the forward edges. Unless for some reason his hands were up like a football ref calling a touchdown which doesn't make sense.

If you lined up the arms a little bit differently, they're basically right next to the bullet that hit his head.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Those doing the looting and starting poo poo are outliers.

That's absolutely the case (and had the police response been better initially, it probably wouldn't even be an issue), but the police still have to respond to those incidents.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Those are certainly visibly lit and seen being thrown at police officers.

Well they aren't there for show, I'm not sure what your point is.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Because there is no evidence they were ever used Xandu.

What's the alternative? That they were just carrying them for the hell of it? I find that less likely.

towelieban posted:

No, I believe they were actually poured out onto the ground in memory of their 'dead homies'.

Get out.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

parthenocarpy posted:

just saw alice

Ok guys, we don't really need these kind of live updates in the thread.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

parthenocarpy posted:

uhhhh are you serious? should i get off the street too? have i made the thread worse somehow with that post?

Well there were 975 posts in the few hours I was away, so yes :)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I can loving see why Amnesty International is deploying. The only thing separating these police actions from third-world countries is that nobody's been executed or disappeared into a van.

Hold on, that's a pretty big loving difference.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

There's a GBS thread that's a pretty nice live stream reaction thread, if y'all wanna head over there for it.

I'm okay with a little leeeway in response to the live streams, but as a general rule, if your post has zero content, maybe GBS is the better place for it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

hcreight posted:

He broke his iPhone cable a few nights ago and spend a good portion of the evening looking for a working cable so he could recharge. He's been mooching free stuff off of various people every night and it's kind of inexcusable that he keeps showing up ill-prepared when he's not even shooting all day.

Given what Vice pays, can't blame him too much.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Iowa Snow King posted:

People keep saying "given what Vice pays"; is Vice like volunteer journalism or something

30k in NYC, pretty much.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

ABC News is also reporting a "serious facial injury" on Wilson, based on anon sources.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

MattO posted:

I'm sure this is not the best in the way of anatomically correct, but I just spun the arm up and around. Interesting to see the "grouping" when the arm is raised.

Don't know if it really explains the bullet going from his eye to his collarbone, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Probably in the same position as the top to the head. The bullet traveled straight down his face.

Yeah I agree, that's the most logical, and what the article said. But it's not totally consistent with him standing there with his hands straight up, though I guess it's plausible it started out that way and then he tried to cover his head or something.

quote:

One of the bullets shattered Mr. Brown’s right eye, traveled through his face, exited his jaw and re-entered his collarbone.

edit: \/\/\/ is covering one's face with palms out really a natural position?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

Open palms facing forward is a pretty universal sign for "stop".

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking, that definitely makes sense.

fknlo posted:

Bullet could have gone in at just the right angle, followed the curvature of the ocular area and gone down? Bullets can do weird things inside the body.

Certainly possible, I can't claim to be an expert in how bullets interact with things.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

What does it actually matter though?

What does the position he was shot in matter? It's probably going to determine a lot of how any potential trial against the cop will go.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Koalas March posted:

gently caress that. Is he family or have any input on your future job market? No? Call him out. Never let prejudice override a conversation. Call him on every single wrong fact until he relents or blocks you. I don't understand fuckers who let some rear end spew racism because they'd rather ignore the confrontation.

Why are wrote people so willing to ignore their friends racist screeds??

Because it's not clear it's a friend, it's a guy on his "IM list". And ultimately, it's a waste of time. You won't change his mind, he won't learn anything, and you'll get frustrated and angry from arguing. Somebody spewing that poo poo in person, or a close friend/relative? Sure, call them out on that. But not every idiot is worth arguing with.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

on the left posted:

Hmmmm, why might it be hard to find police in crime-stricken minority neighborhoods? Probably because if you have a criminal record, you are disqualified, and if you are a close social acquaintance of a gang member, it's also a dealbreaker.

Also, a lot of inner-city police departments hire only hire people who have been to college, which would greatly hurt the ability of minorities from communities with 50-60% HS graduation rates to get a job.

Majority of NYPD are minorities, same with LAPD, though blacks are somewhat underrepresented in the NYPD. It's the non-urban police departments that are heavily white.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

botany posted:

Germany also has pretty strict gun control laws

So not analogous at all, then.

I'm all for disarming police, but let's disarm everyone else, first.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

SedanChair posted:

I'm not asking you.

It's the same answer. There's a shitload of gun crime in the US. Around ten thousand firearm-related homicides and nearly 500k non-fatal firearm-related crimes a year.

It's stupid to take away guns from cops and then require a special force to respond to every incident of armed violence.

Less people might die due to police shootings, though probably not that many, since quite a few of those deaths occur at the hands of a SWAT team (and in a world where beat cops didn't have guns, SWAT teams would be used way more often), but more people would die waiting for armed police to respond.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Neither of them need to be disarmed first, because they can be disarmed simultaneously. There is no need for a chicken and egg scenario.

Well, good look disarming American citizens. I can't see any scenario where that happens. It would probably take a school full of children being shot. Oh wait...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a bullshit argument. You can't retreat to "it'll never happen" as an argument against something because then you are just in the realm of circular logic. Might as well not talk about any change ever because they'll never happen since no one is even trying to make them happen so might as well not try to make them happen...

I mean, if you want to argue that it's unfeasible sure, go nuts. I think most of us would agree with that. But it being unfeasible isn't a reason why it SHOULDN'T happen.

I don't usually, but all the Supreme Court decisions, the failure of even mandatory universal background checks, has there been a meaningful bit of gun control passed in 20 years?

I just can't see it happening, and acting like it could is a fantasy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Could the federal government even force police disarmament or would that have to be handled by local jurisdictions?

Who What Now posted:

That's an argument from incredulity, a fallacy. Simply because you don't think it's likely doesn't make it impossible and it doesn't make it not worth considering and discussing.

You can discuss it, but it's a discussion totally divorced from reality unless you can provide some sort of path for it to happen.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Police officers and deputies, licenced and trained by the state. The certifications are granted and revoked by state.

A deputy draws his authority from the sheriff, a constitutionally mandated law enforcement officer of a county.
Though deputies get their certifications for immunity and that poo poo through the state LE boards or what not.

Police Officers enforce laws on the authority of the city or municipality.

Hmm, so if you could handle it on the state level, that would be do-able, but if it had to be done by cities/counties, that would be a lot more difficult.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Someone can create a new thread to focus just on case, but please don't close your threads.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It could be more focused than the past few pages, but given lack of new info, a broader discussion is inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

I kind of wonder, based on articles like this...

...whether or not something similar is taking place to discourage voting.

At least they don't have a vendetta against bicycles and pedestrians, I guess.

are there even enough people in Ferguson for that bolded figure to be plausible?

Edit: 2-300 cases an hour would mean 1 in 100 residents were in court at a time on certain days.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread