Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today's paper:

How is that supposed to make Riverview feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Even the charge was probably them being assholes. Most of the time, NYC cops don't give two shits about jaywalking and literally everyone who's physically able to will do it. Either they thought an elderly man who didn't speak a lot of English was an easy target for a ticket or they had a quota to fill.

Or they were feeling assholish.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

Has someone already posted the wapo story about how the killer officer's previous job was at a police department that had to be shut down due to extreme racism?

Where did you get that from? Everything I've read says he had 6 years experience, all at Ferguson.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I understand, the UK police are viewed by the public (and in turn view the public) much differently than in the United States. Here, there's a general "gently caress the police" attitudude.

British police aren't really treated that way at all, nor are you especially likely to be walking down the street with your hands in your pockets and get screamed at and gunned down for looking too shifty and dark-skinned.

I think it's a function of different class war dynamics ultimately. Certainly the police here are just as willing to shoot young black men given the chance, and are just as tribal about never punishing murderers. UK police also have some of the most authoritarian powers in the world, pre-emptive arrest with the justification being chosen from a drop-down box on the report, a massive surveillance state, absurdly strict rules for public assembly. We're a small rich nation with a deeply aristocratic history and present, those physical and cultural factors means social control can be more light touch but it's no more humane or civilised really.

My impression of US police is that they see themselves as either cowboys or soldiers, and that in such a huge, young country physical force is given precedence over 'gentle' social control, for what that's worth.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Where did you get that from? Everything I've read says he had 6 years experience, all at Ferguson.

Here's the article.

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!

Stultus Maximus posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...?wpmk=MK0000203

Washington post says he actually has a 3 year history with Ferguson when they did Actual Journalism and looked up the history. Previous to that he worked in Jennings, MO, a town where the city council voted to totally disband and re-form their police force after a series of escalating racist incidents, culminating with a police officer chasing a black woman out of jurisdiction and firing at her with a child in her car.

When the FPD said he had a 6 year history: quelle surprise, the Ferguson PD was lying or just didn't give enough of a poo poo to determine the truth. Admittedly, we probably should have doubted their assertion in the first place since literally everything else they've said has been a lie in some small or large fashion. Their behavior with the blank incident report, the failure to file documents for years, the chief's lies, the fake crowdfunding site run by them, and their actions in general are pretty much enough to put you in the mode where, if Chief Jackson said the sky was blue, you'd want to go outside and look up just to be sure.

Sappo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 24, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I love this idea that the media hasn't given Darren Wilson a voice. Dang, maybe it has something to do with him being huddled in a hotel out-of-state quietly waiting for this all to blow over.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

1stGear posted:

I love this idea that the media hasn't given Darren Wilson a voice. Dang, maybe it has something to do with him being huddled in a hotel out-of-state quietly waiting for this all to blow over.

Is it premature to start talking about what happens when the grand jury declines to indict? What are the likely scenarios? How violent are things likely to get?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Protests tend to burn hottest when they're fresh. McCullough doesn't expect to finish the grand jury until October so by the time they do or don't indict, there may be protests but barring some other major issue they won't be what they were the last two weeks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bassguitarhero posted:

Protests tend to burn hottest when they're fresh. McCullough doesn't expect to finish the grand jury until October so by the time they do or don't indict, there may be protests but barring some other major issue they won't be what they were the last two weeks.

I think the verdict would be widely publicized, which could reignite anger if he gets off with a slap to the wrist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think the verdict would be widely publicized, which could reignite anger if he gets off with a slap to the wrist.

This was supposed to happen in Oakland too, this stuff fizzles out right quick and the pols know they can just wait it out, like Wilson in the Motel 6 up the road.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Obdicut posted:

I'd say it distracts attention away from the actual police state poo poo that's going on.

To add to that, there's allegations that the wooden rounds used in riot control, which are supposed to get reflected off the ground before they hit you, were being used directly on protesters.

It's been this way with wood rounds forever. They were originally developed to be fired directly, but during testing they found that torso hits usually resulted in broken ribs, and headshots could be lethal. So rather than re-engineer the round, they changed the name from 'non-lethal' to 'less-than-lethal' and told departments to 'skip' them off the ground without any real training.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today's paper:

Woo, U City represent!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today's paper:

Is their point that police departments do not hire blacks, or that blacks do not apply?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

chitoryu12 posted:

British police aren't really treated that way at all, nor are you especially likely to be walking down the street with your hands in your pockets and get screamed at and gunned down for looking too shifty and dark-skinned.

The Calgary Police Service hired a bunch of officers from England. I don't know if England took it as their opportunity to get rid of whatever retards and pricks had found their way onto the force, but the "imports" are definitely more annoying, invasive, and unpleasant to deal with than Canadian-trained officers, in my experience and according to everyone else I've talked to. Just a counterpoint to the perception that British police are a treat to deal with.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Is their point that police departments do not hire blacks, or that blacks do not apply?

Their point is, regardless of why, that local PDs do not represent the communities they police.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fog Tripper posted:

Here's the story http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...bb95c5e1c6.html

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

The Calgary Police Service hired a bunch of officers from England. I don't know if England took it as their opportunity to get rid of whatever retards and pricks had found their way onto the force, but the "imports" are definitely more annoying, invasive, and unpleasant to deal with than Canadian-trained officers, in my experience and according to everyone else I've talked to. Just a counterpoint to the perception that British police are a treat to deal with.

British cops don't carry guns. Doesn't mean they aren't complete assholes, just means that they don't shoot people in their rear end in a top hat moments.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kalman posted:

British cops don't carry guns. Doesn't mean they aren't complete assholes, just means that they don't shoot people in their rear end in a top hat moments.

Well, we give 'em guns, so we don't even get that benefit.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

on the left posted:

The autopsy seems to suggest that it's unlikely Brown was shot from behind or at an upright stance:

This would not be out of line with what the police officer said happened

So it's good news that it appears unlikely that Brown was shot from behind - yay for the cop!...Even though the cop was shooting at him from behind.

It's pretty hosed up that in today's world people hold up as a hero someone who tries to shoot a fleeing person in the back. We've come a long way, America.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Tell that to Jean Charles de Menezes....

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

A long way from what? Unless you're being sarcastic, and I'm being dense, we've moved baby steps from where we at when the country was formed.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

beatlegs posted:

It's pretty hosed up that in today's world people hold up as a hero someone who tries to shoot a fleeing person in the back. We've come a long way, America.

Oh, there's tons of lionized sheriffs, bandits, and folk heroes from the Wild West who get looked up to and admired. Worldwide, even, who did way worse than shoot people in the back.

Not that it's a good thing to compare today's heroes with those of 200 years ago but that's what people like to do anyway I suppose.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 25, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kalman posted:

That's mostly because they don't carry guns. The Met has a reasonably poor reputation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Either one would still be a problem.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

VitalSigns posted:

I love "college leftists" as an insult because it reveals the reactionaries' disdain of education and learning.

"Can't trust that one folks, he reads them books that got all sorts of funny ideas in 'em. Now me, I learned from the school of the Real World, sitting at my great-grandpappy's knee listening to him tell how a black boy'll stab you the second you turn yer back" :clint:

You don't need to be an ignorant hick to look down on entitled sociology and gender studies majors.

Trabisnikof posted:

Their point is, regardless of why, that local PDs do not represent the communities they police.

So you are saying that it would be desirable for say a community that is almost exclusively white to limit the number of minorities allowed to work as police or other governmental jobs?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

So you are saying that it would be desirable for say a community that is almost exclusively white to limit the number of minorities allowed to work as police or other governmental jobs?

A community that's exclusively white wouldn't have the problem of needing to exclude minorities in the first place.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

That's mostly because they don't carry guns. The Met has a reasonably poor reputation.

My god, you mean American cops aren't actually outliers and European cops aren't some kind of panacea?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

on the left posted:

You don't need to be an ignorant hick to look down on entitled sociology and gender studies majors.

For some reason I don't think an almost-exclusively white community would end up with a 95-percent minority police force.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

on the left posted:

Cute stawman.

Do you disagree that its problematic when police don't represent the community they police?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

How is it a strawman to point out the implications of "police should represent their communities racially"? It's a perfectly logical conclusion.

I don't think that there should be quotas or hiring rules that force a department to match the demographics, it should more or less naturally happen given the commuting distances involved and any rules that exist requiring police to live in the community.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

on the left posted:

How is it a strawman to point out the implications of "police should represent their communities racially"? It's a perfectly logical conclusion.

I don't think that there should be quotas or hiring rules that force a department to match the demographics, it should more or less naturally happen given the commuting distances involved and any rules that exist requiring police to live in the community.

And yet,

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today's paper:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Hmmmm, why might it be hard to find police in crime-stricken minority neighborhoods? Probably because if you have a criminal record, you are disqualified, and if you are a close social acquaintance of a gang member, it's also a dealbreaker.

Also, a lot of inner-city police departments hire only hire people who have been to college, which would greatly hurt the ability of minorities from communities with 50-60% HS graduation rates to get a job.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

on the left posted:

Hmmmm, why might it be hard to find police in crime-stricken minority neighborhoods? Probably because if you have a criminal record, you are disqualified, and if you are a close social acquaintance of a gang member, it's also a dealbreaker.

Also, a lot of inner-city police departments hire only hire people who have been to college, which would greatly hurt the ability of minorities from communities with 50-60% HS graduation rates to get a job.

Majority of NYPD are minorities, same with LAPD, though blacks are somewhat underrepresented in the NYPD. It's the non-urban police departments that are heavily white.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured the white police force was leftover from when the community WAS majority white, and police jobs just don't turn over very fast.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I guess being a racist cop from a jurisdiction that got shut down for racism isn't a disqualification. Shocking. :rolleyes:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Criminal record is not a disqualifier for police jobs, neither is drug use.
For the most part, several years since the last time is enough if you are otherwise a candidate that the department wants.

Nothing prevents a municipality from accepting applicants with marijuana convictions and minor theft convictions or other similar histories.

A violent felony is usually an automatic disqualifier, as are several DUIs. In certain departments, consistent traffic violations have been deemed worse than minor crimes in the past.

Besides that, a lot of departments will hire people with criminal records if you are honest and open about it and a candidate they want. Honesty and directness about your past goes a long way during the background investigation.

If a community wants to recruit minorities, even in a poverty stricken area, they certainly can do it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSsBYO1oNI

This is amazing.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, how are the protests going? I hear they're still going on and that they're quieter.
Neo Duckburg?

Are the cops behaving, and what cops are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If you're going to send this to your conservative friend/relative, I would make sure to tell them to watch to the very end, because they'll probably think it's real.

• Locked thread