Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I posted in the old thread about my first hand experience with those nasty fuckers. Still a bit Messed up from the experience but we seem to be out of the woods.

Short synopsis: my wife and I moved into a house for a year and had no idea it was previously infested with bed bugs until we were moving out. We had bites but dismissed them as stress breakouts and possible spider bites. It wasn't until we were halfway through out move to our new house that we discovered our mattress and bedroom were infested. Cue a 6 month period of constant cleaning, steaming, inspecting, and worry that we may have transferred the bloodsuckers over to our new house. It's been a year since bites, waste spots, or sheds have been discovered but we are not letting up for another year before everything is out of our air tight and black bagged emergency storage.

I'm willing to share anything I learned over the past year or so from discovery to treating to purging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Plus bedbugs can spend a long period of time inactive and show no signs of infestation until it's to late. Hell, it's been over a year since the initial treatments and we still have stuff in airtight storage and bagged up. Don't want to even risk it :smith:

If you have a drop ceiling like some college dorms and apartments do, you could treat one room and they just hang out in the ceiling area and either wait to come back or move to the neighboring apartments. Be prepared to deal with this for a long time, because they are tenacious.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Bed bug bites are usually located in lines or localized areas coinciding with how you sleep. For instance if you sleep on your right side you could have a concentration of them on your right side. This isn't always the case mind you but if you are only getting them on one side, I'd start inspecting your mattress

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on where you live. Some places really don't give a poo poo about tenets. For instance. Our landlords placed the blame squarely on us (what bedbugs!? It must have been you who brought them) and wanted us to pay over 700 dollars to spray the fuckers. Funny how that cost went down to around 100 bucks when we threatened to take them to court over it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Have you taken that bug to an exterminator to confirm it is what it is? It's good to take precautions like you did but it never hurts to get it confirmed.

Leaving things in a garage worked for me but I also left them there for over 400 days (and still going until 500 when they should all be dead even in the most extreme circumstances) be prepared to leave things bagged out there for awhile so grab what you absolutely need and double bag tight the rest.

Using your own washer and dryer was a bit of a risk to be honest, but not a huge one. God forbid you have a next time but if you do, In order to lower the risk of the buggers getting in your house you could have taken it to a laundromat and used their facilities to do so. Just be prepared for a long dry cycle on a high continuous heat. Don't separate it out, let them dry for as long as possible, ideally a bit over an hour or an hour and a half. That should kill any bug or egg on your clothes or sheets.

You can also prevent the bugs from trying to climb up your furniture or bed by brushing with a trim paintbrush with some dichotomous earth. Don't get the pool grade stuff (that's way to strong and can hurt you or pets) but the garden brand stuff you can find in lowes. Spread it with the brush on and around the legs of the furniture to kill any bug that tries to climb up the legs to get to you. Some people use Vaseline to prevent them from climbing up but it can ruin the furniture legs finish.

Make sure that when you do inspections of your mattress and the box spring to check any folds or loose bits of fabric as they love to hide in there. Some things to watch for are sheds and waste spots (black dots concentrated in one spot) if you see these you may want to invest in a really nice mattress and box spring bug cover that you can seal them in so they starve to death and you can still use your mattress.

Good luck and I hope this trip you took doesn't cause a full blown infestation.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Carpet beetles can look an awful lot like Bed Bugs. Bed bugs don't have speckled backs like the carpet beetles do. If you see them again, capture it and take a photo. We can tell you if its a bed bug or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There are precautions you should take before examining in a hotel as well. Don't place your suitcase on the bed for starters. Try someplace elevated and away from resting areas such as a closet racks if one is present or on the bathroom counter.

You should also create a list of areas that are highly likely to have bedbugs and examine them with a flashlight. Some places you might want to check...

1. Mattress and boxspring: doesn't matter if the sheets are clean, you should always strip the bed and check for the tell-tale signs of infestation. These being actual bugs, waste spots, and shells sheddings the babies leave behind as they grow. Don't just do a cursory glance either. Check folds l and places where fabric bend.

2. Headboard: of the headboard is right up flat against the wall, move it if possible and shine some light on it.

3. Carpet near beds and resting areas: check the molding if there is around the perimeter to see if the buggers are hiding between the two. A flashlight will once again help you out in this case.

4. Anything upholstered: if it has the potential to be slept on it could be a target. Doesn't hurt to check the couches or chairs that are in the area as well.

• Locked thread