Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

I recently signed a lease at an apartment. Part of the lease stated that basically "if you moved here you are saying you are bed bug free, if we find bed bugs, its your fault, you will pay for everything in regards to getting rid of them, and we will murder your first born".

I am not sure how that would work out if it came down to determining who was originally at fault but, it was pretty stern.
Funny, I just found this thread, and on page one several people advise (or threaten) to withhold rent. I am a landlord and have not dealt with bedbugs yet, but the members of my landlord rear end'n talk big about how they don't pay for extermination. With other pests, if you moved in and it was pest-free, and six months later you get cockroaches and call and demand I pay for an exterminator - well, you brought the cockroaches, you pay the exterminator. The difference is cockroaches will pretty much stay in the filthy apartment, and are relatively easy to kill after you move out. Bedbugs will spread to the less filthy units and then the good tenants will move. So in the end, it is to the landlord's advantage to help.

It's complicated because as a tenant, you can negate the whole (very expensive) bedbug exterminating experience by coming home and flopping your bedbug ridden self on the couch, and then it's up to me to pay for another (very expensive) bedbug exterminator again next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

The approach we take at work is as a landlord it's cheaper for us to get involved earlier rather than it getting into the skirting board and walls and becoming very hard to treat. If it's at that latter stage and the trnaynat vacates we're stuck with the costs anyhow plus the risk of it moving to other rooms in the building.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting landlords not treat the problem, but the thread had taken a turn toward "march down to your landlord's office and demand something be done!", and my suggestion is perhaps saying please and thank you is a better approach, as they are not required to help in all municipalities.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

lexan posted:

I feel like I need to defend myself since I was the one who said that.

In both cases--the OP's and effexor's--the infestation had originated in another unit, not the poster's. If the infestation did spread to the poster's unit, that makes it the landlord's obligation to address it in most US jurisdictions. In both cases, it was clear that the measures the landlord was taking were not adequate--the OP had to wait over a week just to get an exterminator to look at the building, and in effexor's case, the landlord was only arranging a single treatment of the neighboring unit. The latter is an extremely common scenario when it comes to renters' experiences with bed bugs. I only advised to withhold rent in the context of a legal rent escrow action, in accordance with local law.

So, fair enough, start by asking nicely, but also know what your rights and obligations are and, if the landlord is not meeting their obligations, don't be afraid to take appropriate legal action to guarantee they perform. I don't necessarily even think a landlord who doesn't deal with an infestation appropriately is a "slumlord"; a lot of them are probably just ignorant about the time, effort and expense required to deal with bed bugs and think that a half-measure will work. A rent escrow action is a powerful incentive for them to find out what they actually need to do.

There is a difference between being right, and being legally right. You may be the first; you are not the second.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

adorai posted:

3) what is a reasonable expectation of the rental agency? I'm pretty sure they are going to offer to comp the entire stay, but if I accept that, is that then indemnifying them against any future cleanup costs? Does it matter?
I would be shocked if they comp the entire stay. Unless you agree to indemnify them (i.e. sign something), you are not agreeing to anything. As shocked as I would be if they would comp the entire stay, I would be downright floored if you were able to get absolutely anything out of them for treatment of your home, car, clothes, or otherwise. I don't know that I've ever even heard of that happening.

A couple hours at 120F will kill both bugs and eggs. If you leave the suitcase in the car in the sun (depending on how hot it is where you live), there are no bugs left. You may be able to deactivate the auto-shut off on a heater and get the car to 120F even when it's not hot outside.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

adorai posted:

Since it's not a standard hotel and they are selling an "experience" I truly believe that they will do anything to avoid a bad yelp review.

Since we are now deep into fall, there is no chance of a car in the sun getting to 120 where I am for at least 6 months, unless we have a freak hot day.
Would love for you to follow up and hear what their response is.

120F is not that hot, it can be 75F outside and if it's sunny it might get your car to 120F. A space heater in the car would help this effort.

• Locked thread